Brian Dahl's new Transtar

Brian Dahl's new Transtar

Matt Burnette
Matt Burnette

March 28th, 2012, 4:20 pm #1

Brian just sent me some pics of his new truck. Nice!

Dean
Dean

March 28th, 2012, 4:54 pm #2

Very nice but I'm a little curious about the nice flat, smooth dash area between the instument pod and the glove box - no map light, no climatizer controls, no hanging ash tray and no potential radio speaker insert. I'm assuming someone modified this and "cleaned" it all up or are one ton's different?

george o
george o

March 28th, 2012, 5:08 pm #3

There should be a transtar emblem there on that flat area. Heater and ash tray were options. On the 59 it would be a studebaker emblem as no transtars in 59. Good to have another Virginia truck here on the forum!

I hope I am correct!

take care

george o

By the way....NICE TRUCK!!

Brian Dahl
Brian Dahl

March 28th, 2012, 5:41 pm #4

First,Matt, Thank You for posting the photo's. The ones taken with the black license plate on were before the "trade" was made, and the one with the yellow plates on were taken yesterday in my driveway. Ugly plates, BUT eventually the truck will have daily driver "Mountain To Seashore" VA plates with "57 STUDE" on them. Again, thanks for posting. I do want to thank Zane also for emailing me and offering to post the pictures.
Dean, in response to your queries, I had to go out to the truck and take a look. Up under the black covering on the dash, in the center, is a hole about the size of a quarter with little tits sticking out on the side(best way I could describe it). This could very well be for a map light. A bit down from that hole is a hole about 1/4 size of that one---switch for map light??????? I don't know. Off to the left (drivers side) of THAT hole is a smaller hole--place to hang an ash tray??????? Again, I'm just guessing. I never knew these items were to be there as I don't have any literature on the truck yet.
George O-You got me on an emblem. Yes, one would look great in that location, but it does not look like one has ever been there, nor does it look like the dash has been tampered with in any way, but I could be wrong, and I do appreciate being corrected on any of this.
Thanks again for all your comments.
Brian

Brian Dahl
Brian Dahl

March 28th, 2012, 6:49 pm #5

There should be a transtar emblem there on that flat area. Heater and ash tray were options. On the 59 it would be a studebaker emblem as no transtars in 59. Good to have another Virginia truck here on the forum!

I hope I am correct!

take care

george o

By the way....NICE TRUCK!!
George,
If perhaps you can get hold of Ted Jensen, would you mind asking him to email me at justabout56@comcast.net ? Need to ask him some questions.

Thanks so much,

Brian

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

March 28th, 2012, 9:10 pm #6

Very nice but I'm a little curious about the nice flat, smooth dash area between the instument pod and the glove box - no map light, no climatizer controls, no hanging ash tray and no potential radio speaker insert. I'm assuming someone modified this and "cleaned" it all up or are one ton's different?
Unless this truck started out life as a Scotman (did it?), there should be a Transtar emblem on the center of the dashboard. As George noted, the heater and maplight were optional that year. As far as the flat dash and lack of a place for the radio goes, this is a quote from chapter 12 of the Stude truck history:
"The dashboard was redesigned, and did away with the cut-out panel for a radio. As a result, Studebaker was forced to offer a truck-only radio that had to be hung, aftermarket-like, under the dashboard. This change is difficult to understand, as it was contrary to the trend at the time, which was to make truck interiors more integrated and more car-like. The instrument cluster was new, and followed a common mid-1950s trend: the ammeter and oil pressure gauges were gone and replaced with indicator (idiot) lights."

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/St ... istory.asp

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson

March 28th, 2012, 10:15 pm #7

First,Matt, Thank You for posting the photo's. The ones taken with the black license plate on were before the "trade" was made, and the one with the yellow plates on were taken yesterday in my driveway. Ugly plates, BUT eventually the truck will have daily driver "Mountain To Seashore" VA plates with "57 STUDE" on them. Again, thanks for posting. I do want to thank Zane also for emailing me and offering to post the pictures.
Dean, in response to your queries, I had to go out to the truck and take a look. Up under the black covering on the dash, in the center, is a hole about the size of a quarter with little tits sticking out on the side(best way I could describe it). This could very well be for a map light. A bit down from that hole is a hole about 1/4 size of that one---switch for map light??????? I don't know. Off to the left (drivers side) of THAT hole is a smaller hole--place to hang an ash tray??????? Again, I'm just guessing. I never knew these items were to be there as I don't have any literature on the truck yet.
George O-You got me on an emblem. Yes, one would look great in that location, but it does not look like one has ever been there, nor does it look like the dash has been tampered with in any way, but I could be wrong, and I do appreciate being corrected on any of this.
Thanks again for all your comments.
Brian
Here is what my dash looked like sanded smooth. Holes are map light, map switch, then 4 holes transtar nameplat . yours would be Studebaker name plate. then the three holes are for the Clamatizer knobs. ash tray is mounted below dash centered.

Dash before

Bo
Bo

March 29th, 2012, 12:44 am #8

Unless this truck started out life as a Scotman (did it?), there should be a Transtar emblem on the center of the dashboard. As George noted, the heater and maplight were optional that year. As far as the flat dash and lack of a place for the radio goes, this is a quote from chapter 12 of the Stude truck history:
"The dashboard was redesigned, and did away with the cut-out panel for a radio. As a result, Studebaker was forced to offer a truck-only radio that had to be hung, aftermarket-like, under the dashboard. This change is difficult to understand, as it was contrary to the trend at the time, which was to make truck interiors more integrated and more car-like. The instrument cluster was new, and followed a common mid-1950s trend: the ammeter and oil pressure gauges were gone and replaced with indicator (idiot) lights."

doors. Remember, 1959 was the year Studebaker dropped the Transtar name from the truck line. The truck should have climitizer controls unless it came without a heater?

Joe Zeiger
Joe Zeiger

March 29th, 2012, 12:59 am #9

Now that is one big bad truck,and looks like a 9'er to boot.

studetom
studetom

March 29th, 2012, 1:31 am #10

Is that the same one I saw in Bristol VA in about 2005?

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 29th, 2012, 2:40 am #11

Quoting from page 7, E-SERIES TRUCKS 1957=59, compiled by the Studebaker National Museum Archives- article by Fred K. Fox, printed 2009.

"At times it is hard to understand why Studebaker made certain design or engineering changes. One of these questionable changes concerns the central part of the new 3E dash panel. From 1949 to 1956 Studebaker trucks came with two special sections in the dash panel, one for the climatizer controls and one for placement of a built-in radio. In 1957 these special sections were removed and replaced with a flat panel and a "TRANSTAR" name plate. When ordered, the Climatizer controls were placed directly below the name plate. No place in the panel was designed for a radio. This meant that when a customer ordered a 3E truck with a radio, the radio had to be hung under the panel. To do this, the ash tray on Deluxe Cab (C4) models had to be moved to the right."

The only thing I see here for a standard C2 cab on this truck is the missing
"TRANSTAR" emblem in the center of the dash. I'll bet it simply was never installed in this low level model at the factory and the new owner never forced the issue. Otherwise, you're looking at a normal 3E dash in a standard cab. My opinion, of course. It wouldn't be the first time something was left off a factory vehicle.

Best wishes, Frank

Ted Jensen
Ted Jensen

March 29th, 2012, 2:49 am #12

WOW! Wish that body was on my 4WD. I think he needs a commander engine in there.

Mark57
Mark57

March 29th, 2012, 3:15 am #13

Thanks to Matt for posting the pics. A very nice 1 tonner Brian! I'll affirm what Frank said and that is that the dash is completely stock for a '57 that did not have the heater option ordered except for the "Transtar" script that is missing directly below the map light hole in the dash cap.

I must confess I've never seen the optional Class A signals mounted so low on the pick-up box nor have I seen the signals combined with the parking lamps on a 3E truck 1 ton or larger. With the optional Class A signals, they usually had the 2 lamp "side by side" system on the front fenders. I know it's trivial, but it would be interesting how this variation came to be. It is apparent that it has been painted at some point as the colour appears to be close to "Surf Green" which was not introduced until 1958. In '57 the only 2 greens were turquoise and sherwood green - both darker than this colour. I believe there were 2 rear axle ratios available with the Commander 6 engine - a 5.14 and a 5.86 - with that 4 spd. it will be a stump puller for sure.
Definitely a neat find.

Brian
Brian

March 29th, 2012, 11:55 am #14

Hi skip,

In your response you mentioned the word "Scotman", and quite frankly, I do not know what you are talking about! . Was this a name for a Studebaker truck? Mine is a 1957, and I thought those were all just called TranStar's. As a "newbie" when it comes to Studebaker, I am completely (well almost) lost without Service and Parts Manuals for my truck (but am working on that). I do thank you, as well as everyone else that responds to my questions and inquiries about my truck. They always say, the dumb question is the one that's not asked. Please enlighten me on what a Scotman is.
Brian

Bo
Bo

March 29th, 2012, 12:24 pm #15

doors. Remember, 1959 was the year Studebaker dropped the Transtar name from the truck line. The truck should have climitizer controls unless it came without a heater?
Sorry Skip, I thought someone said it was a 59

Brian
Brian

March 29th, 2012, 12:44 pm #16

Thanks to Matt for posting the pics. A very nice 1 tonner Brian! I'll affirm what Frank said and that is that the dash is completely stock for a '57 that did not have the heater option ordered except for the "Transtar" script that is missing directly below the map light hole in the dash cap.

I must confess I've never seen the optional Class A signals mounted so low on the pick-up box nor have I seen the signals combined with the parking lamps on a 3E truck 1 ton or larger. With the optional Class A signals, they usually had the 2 lamp "side by side" system on the front fenders. I know it's trivial, but it would be interesting how this variation came to be. It is apparent that it has been painted at some point as the colour appears to be close to "Surf Green" which was not introduced until 1958. In '57 the only 2 greens were turquoise and sherwood green - both darker than this colour. I believe there were 2 rear axle ratios available with the Commander 6 engine - a 5.14 and a 5.86 - with that 4 spd. it will be a stump puller for sure.
Definitely a neat find.
Hi guys,

You both continue to amaze me with your knowledge! In response to Mark, is it POSSIBLE the paint is Turquoise (as indicated by the Paint Code P575 on the data plate), and has just faded somewhat over the years? Not saying this is so, just a thought. To me, It does not look like this truck had ever been painted, but, I could be wrong. As far as that low gear being a "stump puller", although I haven't tried anything like that yet (and probably never will ) I'm sure that puppy would pull Superman off the pot! (Probably just bragging as bit here! LOL) But, in all, you could be right.

Frank, as far as the dash goes, all you said makes sense. I don't know HOW they attached a "TranStar" emblem to the dash, stick on, bolted, or what, but I see NOTHING to indicate one has ever been placed there! Again, I could be wrong. Now I know there was a maplight on the dash, you've started a "quest" for me--NOW, I have to find a map light! (Gotta keep quiet about all this though, as I PROMISED Mama I'd keep expenses down on the truck! LOL)

I just want to enjoy the truck, have some fun with it, with the grandkids, and have it SAFE when it's on the road. A big part of my enjoyment with the truck is spending time here, talking with y'all (as they say in the South). LOL

Take care, and you're more than welcome anytime to "expand my knowledge" about my truck--I never take anything as critizism (sic), just being provided good reliable information.

Brian

Skip Lackie
Skip Lackie

March 29th, 2012, 2:17 pm #17

Hi skip,

In your response you mentioned the word "Scotman", and quite frankly, I do not know what you are talking about! . Was this a name for a Studebaker truck? Mine is a 1957, and I thought those were all just called TranStar's. As a "newbie" when it comes to Studebaker, I am completely (well almost) lost without Service and Parts Manuals for my truck (but am working on that). I do thank you, as well as everyone else that responds to my questions and inquiries about my truck. They always say, the dumb question is the one that's not asked. Please enlighten me on what a Scotman is.
Brian
The Scotsman was a bottom-of-the-line pickup that was offered in the 1958-model 3E series and 1959 4E-series trucks. In looking at the earlier postings about your truck, I realized that you do not (cannot) have a Scotsman. In 1958, it was offered only with the Champion 6, but in 1959, it could be had with the Champion 6, Commander 6, and 259 V8. Scotsman(s) were characterized by a slightly modified 2R grille, smaller bumper, no chrome trim, no glove box door (!), a single arm rest and sun visor, etc. They carried Scotsman decals on the hood and dashboard in lieu of chrome emblems.

I don't have access to my TW collection at the moment, but I believe Fred Fox updated his article on the Scotsman pickups in a recent TW issue (Sep 2011?). A bit of info is also available in the 1958 section of chapter 12 of the truck history:

brian Dahl
brian Dahl

March 29th, 2012, 6:53 pm #18

Here is what my dash looked like sanded smooth. Holes are map light, map switch, then 4 holes transtar nameplat . yours would be Studebaker name plate. then the three holes are for the Clamatizer knobs. ash tray is mounted below dash centered.

Dash before
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the pictures. If you mail me at justabout56@comcast.net, I will send you some photo's I just took today. Somewhat different than your dash. Believe you have one of those "high dollar" Stude's where mine is bare bones! You mentioned you had HOLES where the TranStar emblem attached? Don't think I ever had any holes from what I can see. Anyway, email me,and I'll send you photo's.

Brian

Keith Mifflin
Keith Mifflin

March 30th, 2012, 12:30 am #19

The Scotsman was a bottom-of-the-line pickup that was offered in the 1958-model 3E series and 1959 4E-series trucks. In looking at the earlier postings about your truck, I realized that you do not (cannot) have a Scotsman. In 1958, it was offered only with the Champion 6, but in 1959, it could be had with the Champion 6, Commander 6, and 259 V8. Scotsman(s) were characterized by a slightly modified 2R grille, smaller bumper, no chrome trim, no glove box door (!), a single arm rest and sun visor, etc. They carried Scotsman decals on the hood and dashboard in lieu of chrome emblems.

I don't have access to my TW collection at the moment, but I believe Fred Fox updated his article on the Scotsman pickups in a recent TW issue (Sep 2011?). A bit of info is also available in the 1958 section of chapter 12 of the truck history:
It has a glove box door

Mark57
Mark57

March 30th, 2012, 1:43 am #20

Hi guys,

You both continue to amaze me with your knowledge! In response to Mark, is it POSSIBLE the paint is Turquoise (as indicated by the Paint Code P575 on the data plate), and has just faded somewhat over the years? Not saying this is so, just a thought. To me, It does not look like this truck had ever been painted, but, I could be wrong. As far as that low gear being a "stump puller", although I haven't tried anything like that yet (and probably never will ) I'm sure that puppy would pull Superman off the pot! (Probably just bragging as bit here! LOL) But, in all, you could be right.

Frank, as far as the dash goes, all you said makes sense. I don't know HOW they attached a "TranStar" emblem to the dash, stick on, bolted, or what, but I see NOTHING to indicate one has ever been placed there! Again, I could be wrong. Now I know there was a maplight on the dash, you've started a "quest" for me--NOW, I have to find a map light! (Gotta keep quiet about all this though, as I PROMISED Mama I'd keep expenses down on the truck! LOL)

I just want to enjoy the truck, have some fun with it, with the grandkids, and have it SAFE when it's on the road. A big part of my enjoyment with the truck is spending time here, talking with y'all (as they say in the South). LOL

Take care, and you're more than welcome anytime to "expand my knowledge" about my truck--I never take anything as critizism (sic), just being provided good reliable information.

Brian
I would say it's not faded out paint as it looks to good in the pics and it matches the dash inside (which usually doesn't fade). On your paint code you are missing a digit, it should be P-575x - if you post the last digit we can easily tell you the original colour. If it appears I know a lot about Stude trucks, remeber I have an inside advantage as I also own a '57 (1/2 ton).

Matt Burnette
Matt Burnette

March 30th, 2012, 1:48 am #21

It has a glove box door
58's didn't have the glove box door but 59's did.

Lee W.
Lee W.

March 30th, 2012, 3:38 am #22

The '58 Scotsman had the decal on the hood, dash, and I believe the lower valance below the tailgate. The '59 had a single chrome emblem like this -S- on the hood and a chrome Studebaker script on the dash. My '59 has a door on the glove box, but no passenger side sun visor.

Lee

Bish
Bish

March 30th, 2012, 3:00 pm #23

only 1/2 and maybe 3/4 ton. Some 4WD.
Bish

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 30th, 2012, 3:16 pm #24

It has a glove box door
the 1958 model Scotsman. The 1959 Scotsman was upgraded somewhat by having a glove box door as well as several other items. You're OK! Frank

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 30th, 2012, 3:23 pm #25

only 1/2 and maybe 3/4 ton. Some 4WD.
Bish
only 1/2 ton rated chassis under Scotsman trucks. There were 4X4 Scotsman trucks for two models- 4E2 and 4E3 (V8 and Big Six). Frank

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 30th, 2012, 10:36 pm #26

Now that is one big bad truck,and looks like a 9'er to boot.
money. That is a 9 foot pickup box. The 131 inch wheelbase under a 1 ton truck could only accomodate a 9 footer. An 8 ft. box, as found on most long pickups, would look as if someone had short-sheeted it!! Frank

MW
MW

March 31st, 2012, 10:03 pm #27

Very nice truck! Man, I'm officially jealous now. I would love to have a clean 1-ton 9-ft. bed truck like that.

If you ever go crazy and decide you need to let it go, definitely hit me up and maybe I'll have enough spare beans on hand to make a deal.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the heck out of that truck.