A mystery from my past...

A mystery from my past...

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

June 26th, 2012, 12:30 am #1

In the Spring of 1950, my mother was carrying my youngest brother who was born in July of that year. I was 13 years old at the time, the oldest of four sons. Mother had had the first three of us at home with the same attending physican. He had passed away prior to 1950, so when #4 son came along, she still wanted a home delivery-she didn't like hospitals. She found a doctor who still made home visits who lived in the village of Mount Sidney, VA along Route 11 between Staunton and Harrisonburg, VA.

After Dad arrived home from work, our whole family climbed into the family 1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe Coupe to travel to Mount Sidney so Mother could keep an appointment with the doctor. While my Father and Mother were in the doctor's office, we three boys had to stay in the car. It was dark then, but there was a goodly amount of traffic passing by on Route 11.

All of a sudden two tanker trucks came up behind our parked car and were headed South on Route 11. I can still picture these trucks in my mind. Both trucks were 2R series tractors pulling fairly short tanker units. Question-does anyone have any knowledge of any trucking companies in the area who would have had Studebaker tankers on the road. Even though 62 years have passed, I still have the image of these trucks as I was a budding car and truck nut under the tuteledge of an older cousin who knew the name of every car and truck on the road. I don't think I'm mistaken on id'ing these two trucks. Anyone have any information they might share? Years ago someone mentioned that it may have been Mason & Dixon trucks. I remember well Mason & Dixon trucks on the highway, but I don't remember seeing any Studebaker tractors at any other time or any M-D tankers at any time.

Any insight or information would be welcome. Frank

MW
MW

June 26th, 2012, 5:12 am #2

Are you on some stout medications now by any chance.

Short of that bit of concern, I don't have any actual info for you, but google did seem to find that the company is apparently still in business or at least an old trucking company of that same name. Maybe call them up and see if they are any historical info. in their own archives?

http://www.madl.com/AboutUs.aspx

They did apparently have a few earlier Studebaker trucks. So, I guess it would stand a good chance they had a few in the early 50's as well.

Brian Dahl
Brian Dahl

June 26th, 2012, 10:11 am #3

when I saw those photo's. Trucks signs read "Atlanta to New York". Nowdays, most companies pay extra to drivers who agree to drive rigs to New York (City), at least the company I drove for did. Hardly anyone wanted the North Eastern runs. I'm sure things were a LOT different back when those photo's were taken.
Frank, hope you are doing better now you are home.
Brian

Frank Drrumheller
Frank Drrumheller

June 26th, 2012, 1:46 pm #4

Short of that bit of concern, I don't have any actual info for you, but google did seem to find that the company is apparently still in business or at least an old trucking company of that same name. Maybe call them up and see if they are any historical info. in their own archives?

They did apparently have a few earlier Studebaker trucks. So, I guess it would stand a good chance they had a few in the early 50's as well.

MW. No need to worry about me. I was taken off ALL painkillers, antibiotics, anti-fungal, diabetes and digestive medications on Monday, June 11th. Today, I feel internally as I did when I was a 40 year man. Externally, I still feel and look as a 75 year old. I was taken off all medicines for two weeks so I could have blood tests to make sure all of the infection is gone from my body. I had the second blood test yesterday and will fine out the results on Thursday. Thanks for worrying about me!!

These photos are great. I'll have to do some detective work and you've given me a start. You are appreciated!! Frank

Neal in NM
Neal in NM

June 26th, 2012, 2:40 pm #5

Is that a sleeper cab in the second picture? Neal.

MW
MW

June 26th, 2012, 7:51 pm #6

Looks like it could be.

Here is the site google found it on btw: http://freepages.college-alumni.rootswe ... page_3.htm

Says it is a 1932 Studebaker. I assume that is correct, but that is about all I know about it.

Looks like it has been a little roughed up.

That had to be a hard job in one of those old things. Still, better than an open horse wagon though I guess.