37 truck in Hayward MN

37 truck in Hayward MN

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 22nd, 2012, 1:47 pm #1

I am in love with this truck! Does it belong to anyone here? Has anyone here checked it out any closer? I would love to have it but shipping could be a deal breaker, especially if the truck is any rougher than it appears. My guess is this would not be a low buck restoration on a truck of interest to a limited number of people. Anybody else have thoughts on it? Stevehttps://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail. ... 9#topoflot

GS
GS

March 22nd, 2012, 3:11 pm #2

why not just rehab it into driving condition. Thousands of dollars less and just as lovable.

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 22nd, 2012, 4:40 pm #3

Having never seen the truck up close I assume everything is toast until I learn otherwise. If I buy it (BIG IF) I will get it going and presentable. I am a bit gunshy after working on the 2R-15. Parts for the larger truck are much harder to find, expen$ive, and mostly heavy! I had the rear drums turned and was amazed at the weight of EVERYTHING involved. I am still searching for the shoes. I have located a local guy that says he can reline the ones I have but my luck with unknown shops has not been good. Steve

GS
GS

March 22nd, 2012, 5:51 pm #4

Know what you mean about the weight thing, and it seems like it all gets heavier as you grow older.

As far as parts and relining of shoes is concerned, I'm sure you could get some good recommendations from either stude folks or members of The American Truck Historical Society. Concerning reputable brake relining shops in your area. Relining brakes is not rocket science and usually if a shop has an old rivet press they can do the work, and its fairly easy to check the quality before accepting the work.

http://www.aths.org/

If you get it, i look forward to the progress of the old guys return to the road

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 22nd, 2012, 8:06 pm #5

Thanks, I want it, have no use for it, still want it, cant afford it, still want it. We will see what happens. It is coming out less than I expected to ship it so it may come here. Tracy hasnt been really mad at me in over a week now. Thanks, Steve

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 22nd, 2012, 11:16 pm #6

I am in love with this truck! Does it belong to anyone here? Has anyone here checked it out any closer? I would love to have it but shipping could be a deal breaker, especially if the truck is any rougher than it appears. My guess is this would not be a low buck restoration on a truck of interest to a limited number of people. Anybody else have thoughts on it? Stevehttps://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail. ... 9#topoflot
I have to face the reality that I cant take on another project. I just have way too much on my plate already. I did get a bit more info on the truck. The bottoms of the doors are gone,The outside shell of doors are nice. Some patchable holes in floorboard near cab mounts/ gas pedal. I am waiting for pics to better define that. It ran and sounded good when parked in 1974. He did mention that it did use some oil and was an occasional smoker. Wheels roll. Tires are shot of course. He seemed to think it wouldnt take much to get the truck going. Plug wires rotted away etc.... front and rear glass in place. Side pieces broken. Bed was made by the "Leoline?" Company PA. The company went out of busines in the 1930's or earlier. The seller has said he would deliver the truck anywhere and quoted a reasonable price to move it to SC (1200 miles). I still love and want it but someone else needs to grab it and save it. Steve

jerezstude
jerezstude

March 22nd, 2012, 11:42 pm #7

Besides everything else,doors are not too much of a problem,basically the same as 37 passinger car,the real problem is the grill. You better have a replacement or be extremly skilled. I litterly have hundreds of hours in restoring one. Brake parts are not a problem,the cylinders are all available at NAPA. Jerry

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 22nd, 2012, 11:54 pm #8

is quite tempting. I just wish the ad had more information about it. It looks to be a 1937 9 ft. Open Express (pickup). Yet, with whatever is piled on top, it could be a flat bed or stake bed.

Because it appears to be an open express truck, the following points can be made-

> Series J, model J15-38 (138 inch wheelbase),
> Express bed- 9 feet long, inside length-105 inches, inside width-72 inches, inside width at the wheels-44 inches, sideboards 16 inches high,
> Single rear wheels,
> Rated at 1 1/2 to 2 ton capacity,
> Coupe cab with safety glass,
> 6.50X20-6 ply tires on front,
> 32X6-10 ply tires on rear,
> Engine- 6 cylinder, Studebaker, 217.8 cu. in., flathead, side valve, horse
power 79 at 2800 rpm, torque 179 ft. lbs. at 1000 rpm,
> Transmission- four speed manual with two speed axle as an option, and
> Rear axle ratio 5.57:1 standard

If this truck has dual rear wheels, then it probably is still a J15, but with
some other type body. Steve if you find out other information or data on this truck, please post it. Regardless, there aren't many like it left, expecially IF it is an Open Express. The Open Express is first cousin to the 1937 J5, Coupe-Express.

Have fun with it if it becomes yours. Frank

jerezstude
jerezstude

March 23rd, 2012, 12:27 am #9

I believe the grill dates it as a 38-4o.

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 23rd, 2012, 1:35 am #10

is quite tempting. I just wish the ad had more information about it. It looks to be a 1937 9 ft. Open Express (pickup). Yet, with whatever is piled on top, it could be a flat bed or stake bed.

Because it appears to be an open express truck, the following points can be made-

> Express bed- 9 feet long, inside length-105 inches, inside width-72 inches, inside width at the wheels-44 inches, sideboards 16 inches high,
> Single rear wheels,

some other type body. Steve if you find out other information or data on this truck, please post it. Regardless, there aren't many like it left, expecially IF it is an Open Express. The Open Express is first cousin to the 1937 J5, Coupe-Express.

I had read the newest comments before posting my comments. Several were posted while I fooled around looking for my showroom literature trying to pin this truck down. After posting, I went back to the subject posting and found I was off base because of the poor photos and poor judging on my part.

One poster stated the truck is a K series, not J, from the production years of 1938-40. I believe he is correct. After studying the larger view of the second photo, I see several of the horizonal bars are bent in several places. On a fast glance, they almost appear to have the double bars of a '37 grille.

This truck is not a J15, but more likely a standard K15 or K20 chassis with whatever body is mounted on it. The truck is NOT an open express. I'm sorry to have been so off-base on this one. Frank

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 23rd, 2012, 1:45 am #11

> Single rear wheels,

The seller says it is a 1 1/2 ton truck. Overall he said the truck was 16' long if that helps narrow anything down. Where do I have him look for numbers? The bed is a gravity dump bed. Tracy called and got info while I was at work and the explanation of how it works loses a lot in the translation (God love her, she tries hard)but I THINK basically you load it tail heavy and pull the handle. Gravity dumps it. There is a spring involved on one side or the other (lowering or raising). Probably to keep the bed from bonking you but thats where the translation gets totally lost. It was made by the Leoline (sp) Co. in Pa. The seller seemed to know a bit about old trucks (talked about his old Fords) and seemed pretty straight about the truck. I dont know if Tracy ever directly asked if the engine was stuck but the seller indicated the engine was usable. He said no cracks in the block or anything detrimental. I am still waiting for pics but will post them up when I get them. Steve

Phil Harris
Phil Harris

March 23rd, 2012, 2:43 am #12

> Single rear wheels,

Frank, would you know about how much this truck weighs. I would like to bid but they will charge $100 per day if its not picked up by the 29th. Does anyone know of a SDC member near by that would "store" it until middle of May.

Richie
Richie

March 23rd, 2012, 5:02 am #13

I can probably get her..is there anyone that can help me store it though til I can fetch it?

Richie
Richie

March 23rd, 2012, 5:30 am #14

Is there anyone in the surrounding area? Also we should not be bidding against each other..I need to know if there is someone closer if not I want to get it. Any ideas or comments are welcome

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 23rd, 2012, 1:24 pm #15

Frank, would you know about how much this truck weighs. I would like to bid but they will charge $100 per day if its not picked up by the 29th. Does anyone know of a SDC member near by that would "store" it until middle of May.
The actual seller (not the auction) has offered to ship the truck reasonably. He could possibly store it for a while longer. Send me an E-mail to ourbuiss at yahoo.com and I will have Tracy send you his info. Good luck, Steve

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 23rd, 2012, 1:28 pm #16

Is there anyone in the surrounding area? Also we should not be bidding against each other..I need to know if there is someone closer if not I want to get it. Any ideas or comments are welcome
Good Luck Ritchie. See the prior post RE: the seller shipping the truck and please keep us posted on your progress. Steve

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 23rd, 2012, 1:39 pm #17

There are several self storage places listed online in Hayward. Most of these places will let you store stuff like this outside at reasonable monthly rates without a lengthy contract. You might make a few calls and find someone really close to secure it for you. I THINK the seller would drop it for you quite reasonably. Just a thought, Steve

Richie
Richie

March 23rd, 2012, 1:49 pm #18

ok as time is ticking away, ofcourse I have no contacts near there the closest looks like Holland MI, I just need to buy some time.

chris piazza
chris piazza

March 23rd, 2012, 3:02 pm #19

Hi Jerry. Would you happen to have any hub caps left over from your cab forward project? I had one years ago, but have nothing for the K15M I'm restoring at the present time. I noticed this old gal has at least one on the passenger side front. Thanks! Chris in L.A.

chris piazza
chris piazza

March 23rd, 2012, 3:04 pm #20

Hi Jerry. Would you happen to have any hub caps left over from your cab forward project? I had one years ago, but have nothing for the K15M I'm restoring at the present time. I noticed this old gal has at least one on the passenger side front. Thanks! Chris in L.A.

chris piazza
chris piazza

March 23rd, 2012, 3:04 pm #21

Richie
Richie

March 23rd, 2012, 3:44 pm #22

ok I am after it...to let you know I will update you guys tomorrow just finished setting up some things. I have a friend that is in route

dan0
dan0

March 23rd, 2012, 4:15 pm #23

Richie-
I'm in east Nd if you need a safe place to hold this rare 37-
Just wanted to help...

jerezstude
jerezstude

March 23rd, 2012, 4:34 pm #24

Chriss Hubcap are another one of those impossible parts. While i have not looked into this i believe the 37 car hubcaps are the same dia. From there the rest could be fabricated. Also the different size trucks used different size caps.

Dean
Dean

March 23rd, 2012, 6:10 pm #25

ok I am after it...to let you know I will update you guys tomorrow just finished setting up some things. I have a friend that is in route
I'm up in Minneapolis and was considering heading down to make sure it didn't get sold for scrap so you're saving us a 120 mile one way trip. With summer weather already here in the midwest, I'm doing June projects around the house and yard and getting set up to get the Studies out of storage.

Good luck!
Dean

Richie
Richie

March 24th, 2012, 2:40 am #26

I am excitied about this and thanks for all the help guys.

chris piazza
chris piazza

March 24th, 2012, 3:11 am #27

If I ever get my extra parts back from my painter, I will have several louvers that could be used as replacements for this grill.

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 24th, 2012, 2:30 pm #28

I am excitied about this and thanks for all the help guys.
Richie, for taking this project on. At least the truck will be in knowledgeable hands. It will be a challenge, so our shoulders will be here to cry on or you've got a lot of backbone nationwide to support you.

My good friend, Chester Bradfield of Bridgewater, VA, owns a K10 and a K15, could be a resource for you. He probably will not be able to help on parts, as both of his trucks were originals in excellent shape, but he can help with photos or information on where things fit, what should go in certain places or how certain items should look.

I have a lot of factory showroom literature and other printed materials for the K series. Things can be easily copyied. Best wishes. Frank

Richie
Richie

March 24th, 2012, 2:49 pm #29

I will feel better after the auction and thanks for the comments, I have been in search of theses for sometime and the same year Vintage cab over. I owned a 38 Coe that was actually in pretty good shape..I sold it to a friend of mine 10 years ago..now I look at it at his hose and can't get her BACK. So I am excited about this and the timing is right. I am doing my best out west to gather these up so they can be available for the years to come.

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 24th, 2012, 5:21 pm #30

I watched the auction close a few minutes ago. Were you the successful bidder? Please keep us posted. Thanks, Steve

Richie
Richie

March 24th, 2012, 5:22 pm #31

Yep its mine, someone bidded which raise it over my proxy,,,,,geeeez

Steve Dotson
Steve Dotson

March 24th, 2012, 5:53 pm #32

Congrats!! I am glad to see it coming to a forum member. I would have loved to own it but I have to admit it is probably in better hands. I look forward to seeing its return. congrats, Steve

Richie
Richie

March 24th, 2012, 6:16 pm #33

I been looking around trying to find an approx weight,for the truck since I was lucky enough to win, I dont have any data on that 5000 ?

Richie
Richie

March 25th, 2012, 1:20 am #34

A long day today for me as I almost didnt Win it.Talked to the owner today and he was able to give me some history of the truck, I should have it back home with in a couple of weeks. Someone did bid which ofcourse pushed mine up but I ended up the lucky winner. A few more hubcaps were inside and the dash looked fantastic. If anyone has pictures or any thoughts let me know I am a metal guy,welder collector etc. I have it stored already but thanks for the offers.

Frank Drumheller
Frank Drumheller

March 25th, 2012, 1:47 am #35

I been looking around trying to find an approx weight,for the truck since I was lucky enough to win, I dont have any data on that 5000 ?
Richie; The following information is taken from factory printed showroom brochures for the K-series trucks 1938-1940:

Model K-15, nominal chassis rating- 1 1/2 tons
Maximum gross weight rating- 12,000 lbs. (Includes cab, body, fluids, driver)
Average shipping weight- cab and chassis only-
138" wheelbase- 3405 lbs.
162" wheelbase- 3485 lbs.

Model K-20, nominal chassis rating- 2 tons
Maximum gross weight rating- 14,500 lbs. (Includes cab, body, fluids, driver)
Average shipping weight- cab and chassis only-
138" wheelbase- 4715 lbs.
162" wheelbase- 4765 lbs.
180" wheelbase- 4815 lbs.

Hope this helps. I know that there has to be variations on all the different types of models built, so take this as a guide. Not knowing the model truck you've just bought, the photo appears to be one of these two models. For shipping purposes with a body, you'll have to estimate additional weight.

Best Wishes, Frank

Richie
Richie

March 25th, 2012, 3:57 am #36

Perfect thanks

chris piazza
chris piazza

March 25th, 2012, 4:48 am #37

A long day today for me as I almost didnt Win it.Talked to the owner today and he was able to give me some history of the truck, I should have it back home with in a couple of weeks. Someone did bid which ofcourse pushed mine up but I ended up the lucky winner. A few more hubcaps were inside and the dash looked fantastic. If anyone has pictures or any thoughts let me know I am a metal guy,welder collector etc. I have it stored already but thanks for the offers.
If you end up with more than 4, maybe we could trade or make a deal?

Richie
Richie

March 28th, 2012, 5:23 am #38

Any have a Vin Break Down? I only have down td 1941 M series It is a K

David Dill
David Dill

June 25th, 2012, 12:26 am #39

> Single rear wheels,

Hi Express-Coupe fans,
I have a coupla M5/M15s( non running) and want to learn more about the older Stude trucks. Anyone have any pics of the Express-Coupe of the "open" version you mentioned in your post?
Thanks, David