21 century streetable truck

21 century streetable truck

Kevin Heggi
Kevin Heggi

July 18th, 2012, 5:05 am #1

Guys, I have my heart set on a 2 ton stude with a flat bed, and dump....I do a lot of small projects that need a heavy truck, local driving for the most part but the occasional road trip to retrieve something heavy.

I like all the big trucks, so I really don't have one specific year that I want.

What can I drive on a on demand basis, local, usual 50 mile radius with an occasional highway/interstate run

IF nothing really can do it in stock form, what simple mods would do it....like rear axle change, adding OD.....

for simplicity, Chicago to South Bend....and South Bend to Indianapolis runs.....I like back roads and secondaries....so We aren't demanding I-65, 80/84 or the toll road....

US 30 and 41 Route 6 12 and 20

Need to move a few yards of Rock, dirt, sand and railroad preservation stuff....

What Truck do I need?

Will a 1.5 ton do OK?

Bo
Bo

July 18th, 2012, 1:13 pm #2

56 and later with 289, 4 bbl, 5 spd, or 5 spd OD, 2 spd. rear axle. An E-40 would probably be about right given the dirt/rock loads, or anything else you might care to haul. I think best all around work horse and highway friendly, speed wise, braking, etc... Try to find one with power steering, and power brakes,(If not, you can add power brakes yourself), and all ready fitted with hydrolic lift bed. An old mid West grain truck should do the trick.

I bought a 57 E-40 from Gary Hearn years ago and I have never regretted it, even if I did have to trailer it from Virgina to Texas and then to Florida. Great running truck and has never let me down in the hauling department.

george o
george o

July 18th, 2012, 1:38 pm #3

take care

george o

Lee W.
Lee W.

July 18th, 2012, 2:49 pm #4

Guys, I have my heart set on a 2 ton stude with a flat bed, and dump....I do a lot of small projects that need a heavy truck, local driving for the most part but the occasional road trip to retrieve something heavy.

I like all the big trucks, so I really don't have one specific year that I want.

What can I drive on a on demand basis, local, usual 50 mile radius with an occasional highway/interstate run

IF nothing really can do it in stock form, what simple mods would do it....like rear axle change, adding OD.....

for simplicity, Chicago to South Bend....and South Bend to Indianapolis runs.....I like back roads and secondaries....so We aren't demanding I-65, 80/84 or the toll road....

Need to move a few yards of Rock, dirt, sand and railroad preservation stuff....

What Truck do I need?

Will a 1.5 ton do OK?
the scratches will buff out . Just a little tongue in cheek humor. The truck was a 96BBC dumptruck that was for sale in the wine country of No. California. I'm sure that it is in China now.
Lee W.

Stangky 3r5
Stangky 3r5

July 18th, 2012, 4:29 pm #5

What Truck do I need?

Will a 1.5 ton do OK?
I may be interested in selling.... In Austin tx.. nice truck, just putting a turner brake kit on it now.

Lee W.
Lee W.

July 18th, 2012, 4:37 pm #6

I wasn't aware that Turner made kits for bigger trucks. What do you use for front discs? Nice pair you have there.

Lee W.

jack vines
jack vines

July 18th, 2012, 4:48 pm #7

What Truck do I need?

Will a 1.5 ton do OK?
The earlier and/or 6-cyl trucks can never really be made to haul a load and keep up with today's traffic. BTDTNA

jack vines

Lee W.
Lee W.

July 18th, 2012, 7:41 pm #8

BTDTNA ?

r1lark
r1lark

July 18th, 2012, 10:37 pm #9

Been There, Done That, Not Again

jack vines
jack vines

July 18th, 2012, 10:52 pm #10

BTDTNA ?
The 6-cyls are geared low because Studebaker engineers knew there wasn't enough power to pull a load without the big multiplier. Thus their max speed is about 40-45 MPH.

Raising the rear axle ratio/adding an overdrive/adding a Browning to get a higher cruising gear lessens the RPMs/raises the cruising speed on flat ground. However, when loaded like a working truck, the lack of power requires down-shifting a couple of gears at every hill, so it's crawling along with the engine screaming anyway.

Bottom line, there's no way to make the 6-cyls a working truck to haul rated loads at today's highway speeds. Either accept the slow pace or begin with the 289" V8 and 5-speed overdrive.

jack vines

Stamgky3r5
Stamgky3r5

July 19th, 2012, 1:29 am #11

I wasn't aware that Turner made kits for bigger trucks. What do you use for front discs? Nice pair you have there.

Lee W.
my apologies - its the master cylinder kit I am putting on.

thanks for the comment on the trucks

Kevin Heggi
Kevin Heggi

July 19th, 2012, 3:13 am #12

The 6-cyls are geared low because Studebaker engineers knew there wasn't enough power to pull a load without the big multiplier. Thus their max speed is about 40-45 MPH.

Raising the rear axle ratio/adding an overdrive/adding a Browning to get a higher cruising gear lessens the RPMs/raises the cruising speed on flat ground. However, when loaded like a working truck, the lack of power requires down-shifting a couple of gears at every hill, so it's crawling along with the engine screaming anyway.

Bottom line, there's no way to make the 6-cyls a working truck to haul rated loads at today's highway speeds. Either accept the slow pace or begin with the 289" V8 and 5-speed overdrive.

jack vines
Thanks Jack. I don't have my sights set on any one truck now, hoping to see something at the swap meet coming up. I like all the years, they all seem to have thier own atractive lines, if they all ran the same, it would be a choice on price, and two diferent trucks at the same....well you get the idea. You are correct, go slow...6cyl....attempt to keep up with traffic, 8 or Diesel....

Now, If I have this correct.....I will allow my CASO come out....see what I can get a deal on....

Thanks again to all the replies

John Weinrich
John Weinrich

July 19th, 2012, 4:34 pm #13

jack vines
My M15A every day and it struggles to get up the hill to where we go most of the time. I have a 170 Champion with the 4-speed T9 and a 5.83 rear and 31" tall tires. If I get a run at it I can go up the hill at 45 MPH but if I have to stop near the bottom where there is a light I can only get up to 30 MPH on the hill. This is with no load. The little old Champion just doesn't have much power in one of these heavy trucks...

Brian Dahl
Brian Dahl

July 19th, 2012, 7:36 pm #14

to upgrading to a 245 CI and a T98A trans in your truck? Just a thought.
Brian

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson

July 22nd, 2012, 2:00 pm #15

My M15A every day and it struggles to get up the hill to where we go most of the time. I have a 170 Champion with the 4-speed T9 and a 5.83 rear and 31" tall tires. If I get a run at it I can go up the hill at 45 MPH but if I have to stop near the bottom where there is a light I can only get up to 30 MPH on the hill. This is with no load. The little old Champion just doesn't have much power in one of these heavy trucks...

John, Love the chart. Can you do one with 245 eng. T98A trans 4speed and Dana 44-1 4.09 rear end?

John Weinrich
John Weinrich

July 23rd, 2012, 2:56 am #16

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson

July 23rd, 2012, 3:08 am #17

ok have to wait until next weekend

Randy Wilkin
Randy Wilkin

July 23rd, 2012, 10:06 pm #18

I 1974 I worked for a Ford auto sales department . A man came in and ordered a 1 ton flatbed truck with dual rear wheels and 390 V8 . 4 barrel and 4 speed . Traded in a old 6 cylinder 1 ton(about 1960) with flatbed, Came back less than a week later and said the new truck wouldn't pull anything. Being young than ,I was in shock that he thought the 390 setup didn't have more power. The next day ,I moved the old truck, you almost had to go thru all the gears to move accross the ally, no wonder the old truck pulled good, I guess what I am getting at is, not only Studebaker did low gearing to make the 6 cylinder work.