1950 Champ Truck on eBay

Frank from Germany
Frank from Germany

April 15th, 2012, 8:38 pm #1

Just found this one on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gorgeous ... 4602def307

The seller wrote

It is a complete body
off restoration and is NOT a rust issue vehicle .

Is that not a rust through in the left rocker panel ?

Brian
Brian

April 15th, 2012, 9:04 pm #2

Good eye Frank!

2R5
2R5

April 15th, 2012, 9:06 pm #3

The seller wrote

It is a complete body

A very nice R series

vern ediger
vern ediger

April 15th, 2012, 10:49 pm #4

lever shocks make it a 49

Matt Burnette
Matt Burnette

April 16th, 2012, 12:14 am #5

The seller wrote

It is a complete body

Really nice truck but.. I don't understand why you'd do a total frame off resto, and paint nearly everything the wrong color. Doesn't take anymore work to do it right.

2R5
2R5

April 16th, 2012, 12:17 am #6

lever shocks make it a 49
....actually lever shocks were used in early 50 Rs

Ted Jensen
Ted Jensen

April 16th, 2012, 2:17 am #7

The seller wrote

It is a complete body

Frank: If you are looking at the holes in the support below the step then you are looking at original supports. Studebaker made them with holes in them. Why I do not know. The replacements do not have holes, at least the ones from Classic enterprizes.
There is some rust there towards the rear but if the rest of the truck looks this good where you cannot see then it is a non rust vehicle.

Look under your step. Only vehicles that have not been repaired will have holes in the step support.
This kind of original truck is becoming hard to find.

Lee W.
Lee W.

April 16th, 2012, 2:40 am #8

Really nice truck but.. I don't understand why you'd do a total frame off resto, and paint nearly everything the wrong color. Doesn't take anymore work to do it right.
I agree with you Matt, looks like they painted right over the armrests and the steering wheel appears to have overspray on it. Not to mention the steering has cracks in it. For the price that they're asking I would expect an absolutely flawless truck.

Zane
Zane

April 16th, 2012, 3:06 am #9

Frank: If you are looking at the holes in the support below the step then you are looking at original supports. Studebaker made them with holes in them. Why I do not know. The replacements do not have holes, at least the ones from Classic enterprizes.
There is some rust there towards the rear but if the rest of the truck looks this good where you cannot see then it is a non rust vehicle.

Look under your step. Only vehicles that have not been repaired will have holes in the step support.
Ted, I never could figure out why the heck Studebaker put the dirt collecting holes in the rocker panels until the restoration of my truck. I was going to leave the solid rocker panels the way they came but when I went out to the guys shop that was doing the body work, he had put every hole in my new rocker panels! I asked him why, and it then became obvious, they were needed in order to get the rocker panel spot welded to the step up section of the running board/ floor board.

I was under my dads 1962 1 ton 4x4 and saw that the factory had actually put a peice of tape over all of the holes and then undercoated over the holes and tape. It must have worked because his truck has some of the best rocker panels I have seen on a C cab.

I hope all of that made sense!

Frank from Germany
Frank from Germany

April 16th, 2012, 5:31 am #10

I know that there are these holes in the rocker panel.
But if you take a closer look under the first 3 holes you can see
that there is a not repaired and painted rust area.

Frank

Peter
Peter

April 16th, 2012, 6:10 am #11

I could of painted my truck the right color to but I did not like the colors that were on my Champ that Studebaker painted it. I also did not like the stainless steel beauty rings and hubcaps that were on it either, A truck in my eyes does not have these items. What I think Studebaker should of done was install inner fender lineing to stop rocks from hitting the upper fender and insalling the Rolling Stones in there such as Mick and his fellow band members! Installing a ton of rubber protective would never protect the fenders as I drive gravel roads when I go fishing not pave hwys.
Peter

Brian
Brian

April 16th, 2012, 10:42 am #12

I know that there are these holes in the rocker panel.
But if you take a closer look under the first 3 holes you can see
that there is a not repaired and painted rust area.

Frank
Good eye, Frank.

Rick
Rick

April 16th, 2012, 8:26 pm #13

I agree with you Matt, looks like they painted right over the armrests and the steering wheel appears to have overspray on it. Not to mention the steering has cracks in it. For the price that they're asking I would expect an absolutely flawless truck.
I second Matt and Lee's opinions. A cosmetic restoration for sure.

Register your 2R truck at http://www.2rtruck.need-a-geek.com/ It's free!