1949 2R10 Transmission/OD question...

1949 2R10 Transmission/OD question...

June 6th, 2017, 8:19 pm #1

Hi all,

Thought I would gather some collected wisdom here.

When I bought my 49 2R10 a year ago, the previous owner had made some alterations, including a different transmission. He told me he had put in an Int'l Harvester transmission so it could be a floor-shift. Turns out, he had installed a tranny with a B-W overdrive... Which he had gotten shipped to him here in CT from someone named Vern (hmmm... how many Studebaker truck guys named Vern can there be out there?).

Both the tranny and the OD have steadily dripped oil since I got the truck. Thinking either they weren't installed properly, or he just re-used old gaskets and seals. Drives fine, just leaks. OD isn't hooked up right now.

OD is stamped R10B-1M (I think - a little hard to read) with a plate affixed that says 12-16.
Transmission is stamped 11 25 (I think - again, hard to read)
Both seem to have been a light green/blue color originally, though hard to say now.

At the least, I need to add gear oil to replace what's been dripping out.
Ideally, I would like to get new gaskets and oil seals in place to try to stop the leak.
Long-term, I have gathered the parts necessary to get the governor-operated OD working with the converted 12V system, but that's going to wait until Jim Turner's six-lug 3/4-ton disk conversion is completed and I can install one - gotta stop before I go faster.
Lastly, right now there's no speedo pinion or cable (or speedometer for that matter - he replaced the original dash when he switched to 12V - original's in a box right now). Just a cork in the pinion hole.

Can anyone provide me guidance on where to look for...
1. What gear oil to use?
2. Where to look for parts like the gaskets and oil seals?
3. What speedo pinion to use on this tranny/OD setup with the 5.8xx Timken (split pumpkin) rear end?

Any and all help appreciated!

(oh - and still looking for two left side reverse-threaded lug nuts)

Thanks,
Rob

June 7th, 2017, 11:13 am #2

Page 19 refers to lube.
Lots of people don't get both chambers filled properly.

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/NorthGeo ... rdrive.pdf

June 7th, 2017, 2:40 pm #3

Hi all,

When I bought my 49 2R10 a year ago, the previous owner had made some alterations, including a different transmission. He told me he had put in an Int'l Harvester transmission so it could be a floor-shift. Turns out, he had installed a tranny with a B-W overdrive... Which he had gotten shipped to him here in CT from someone named Vern (hmmm... how many Studebaker truck guys named Vern can there be out there?).

Both the tranny and the OD have steadily dripped oil since I got the truck. Thinking either they weren't installed properly, or he just re-used old gaskets and seals. Drives fine, just leaks. OD isn't hooked up right now.

OD is stamped R10B-1M (I think - a little hard to read) with a plate affixed that says 12-16.
Both seem to have been a light green/blue color originally, though hard to say now.

Ideally, I would like to get new gaskets and oil seals in place to try to stop the leak.
Long-term, I have gathered the parts necessary to get the governor-operated OD working with the converted 12V system, but that's going to wait until Jim Turner's six-lug 3/4-ton disk conversion is completed and I can install one - gotta stop before I go faster.
Lastly, right now there's no speedo pinion or cable (or speedometer for that matter - he replaced the original dash when he switched to 12V - original's in a box right now). Just a cork in the pinion hole.

1. What gear oil to use?
3. What speedo pinion to use on this tranny/OD setup with the 5.8xx Timken (split pumpkin) rear end?

Thanks,
Rob
I did send a T 86 to somebody in CT, don't remember his name, the top cover would be from a jeep or scout. don't know why it would leak unless i just put the top on and did not overhaul it, don't remember. SIA has gasket sets and it has EP 80 90 gear oil. I do have some left nuts if you still need them

June 7th, 2017, 2:53 pm #4

Hi all,

1. What gear oil to use?

Thanks,
Rob
Drop me a note at bomarkham@embarqmail.com

Will need to confirm what transmission you do have and rear axle ratio to help.

June 7th, 2017, 5:49 pm #5

Page 19 refers to lube.
Lots of people don't get both chambers filled properly.

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/NorthGeo ... rdrive.pdf
...that's helpful and saved on the computer now.

June 7th, 2017, 5:53 pm #6

I did send a T 86 to somebody in CT, don't remember his name, the top cover would be from a jeep or scout. don't know why it would leak unless i just put the top on and did not overhaul it, don't remember. SIA has gasket sets and it has EP 80 90 gear oil. I do have some left nuts if you still need them
...he thought that the transmission itself was from an International, not just the top plate. Now that I know it's a T86, that'll help with parts, etc. Do you recall - was it just the T86 you shipped or the trans and the OD? He thought he remembered shortening the driveshaft and I know that none of the kickdown switch, etc, hardware is on the truck.

His name was Lou, by the way.

I would love to buy the two reverse-threaded lugs. What's the best way to arrange that?

Thanks,
Rob

June 7th, 2017, 10:24 pm #7

is it for a big 6 or champ 6 ??? send address, will send my left nuts

June 8th, 2017, 1:42 pm #8

No one is going to comment about Vern sending his left nut?

June 8th, 2017, 2:56 pm #9

one, as in "my left nuts", I thought it best not to touch that one. Willy Albert Chillies thighs might start palpatating at the mention of such.

June 9th, 2017, 1:42 am #10

is it for a big 6 or champ 6 ??? send address, will send my left nuts
...does that dictate which trans you would have sent to Lou?

Mailing address is:
Rob Morris
81 Mt. Pleasant Rd.
Newtown, CT

I can mail you a check before shipping or on receiving, whichever you prefer.

While you're at it, I am missing one of the cones that help center the rear axle... not sure if there's a specific name, but it seats in the axle flange and is tightened down by the axel nut and lock washer. If you have any extra of those, love to have a few. I didn't lose this one, but I wouldn't put it beyond myself iin the future, and I have never removed the right rear, so I may need some over there.

Thanks!
Rob

June 9th, 2017, 5:49 am #11

I may not have rebuilt that one, only converted to top shift. the ones i send for the big 6 are from the 47 to 55 commander cars with the better gear spacing, can not change the low and second gear in the one used in the small 6 . will mail nuts and cones in the morning, will send extra left nut, can always use an extra left nut

June 10th, 2017, 1:43 am #12

... I find it better not to lose the ones you got.

The tranny is definitely very low geared. Pretty much shifting to second before it's out of the garage. Does that mean it's a T90, then? Will help me order the right oil seals.

Thanks so much for the help.

June 10th, 2017, 2:26 pm #13

gaskets not a problem, gasket kit comes with all gaskets

June 10th, 2017, 10:16 pm #14

...I have a feeling, looking at it, that Lou installed it with no gaskets at all, thus the leaks from, well, everywhere.