Moderator: Rube Baker

HoF #7 SNOWMEGGEDON

The Ghost
Super Sub

January 31st, 2011, 8:32 pm #1

pictures removed.

Ghost, please downsize these pics. You can do it at http://pixlr.com/ Just go to Image>Image size

St Louis Legends Sponsor of Bow Ties, Stupid Comments, and This Dumb Face ^^^

BMike88
Super Sub
BMike88
Super Sub

January 31st, 2011, 8:41 pm #2

I went to the grocery store out in Chesterfield this morning before work and there was NOTHING on the shelves. People are somewhat overreacting to this one but it does look like a big storm. I'll be interested to see how much snow we actually get. STL meteorologists tend exaggerate the snowfall amounts.

Skoffer
Super Sub
Skoffer
Super Sub

January 31st, 2011, 9:19 pm #3

The only thing I am going to be concerned about is being without electricity for more than a few hours. I've got a newborn at home.

But, if we lose electricity, I'm not really THAT concerned, considering I've got inlaws 150 miles south who would jump at the chance to spend a few days with their new grandbaby.

My wife tried to be worried, and I was like, "What? It's not like we don't have anywhere to go, and even if we didn't, we have food in the pantry, freezer and fridge. We have wood to burn and lighters to light it. And we have 2 bodies full of body heat to hug on the kid to keep him warm. Oh, and we have a basement that will probably stay above 45 degrees the whole time anyway."

Where most see inconvenience, I see opportunity to bond with my family. Let it snow, sleet, and rain.

The Ghost
Super Sub

January 31st, 2011, 9:20 pm #4

i agree. its a bit out of hand. however, they keep saying "historic"...which concerns me.
i have a friend up the street from me that has a wood burning furnace and guns.
i have food. if the power goes out and this really is the end of the world, i know the plan. lol

now, how to deal with the zombies....

BMike88
Super Sub
BMike88
Super Sub

January 31st, 2011, 9:49 pm #5

All the major universities are closing around here..UMSL, SLU and Mizzou all are closing at 4pm today. Must be serious!

waterdown
Super Sub

January 31st, 2011, 10:19 pm #6

Here in Hannbal they're calling for up to 20 inches. I ran out and grabbed some extra beer. I'm set.
Was hilarious to see folks with food carts piled to the brim like they would be isolated for a month.

redbird5
Super Sub
redbird5
Super Sub

January 31st, 2011, 11:37 pm #7

My mom grew up in Hannibal. When she was kid went to school, they didn't believe in snow days, she and her brother usually ate lunch at home, but that day the ice was very bad so they brought their lunch. She lived on Pleasant Street and I think she went to school at Petty Bone, any way they had to climb 7th street or Bird street can't remember which now. My uncle lost his lunch box down the hill and mom had to go sliding after it, being the older sister. They had to climb back up.
Ginger Michelle Nevitt 3/15/01 to 5/11/12 the great westie wrestler and mouser. RIP

royvern
Super Sub
royvern
Super Sub

February 1st, 2011, 12:32 am #8

wrote:Here in Hannbal they're calling for up to 20 inches. I ran out and grabbed some extra beer. I'm set.
Was hilarious to see folks with food carts piled to the brim like they would be isolated for a month.
waterdown, I have always admired your style but after that quote, you have elevated your status to iconic in my eyes.

In central MO everythging is coated with at least 1/4 inch of ice. My Drive is pretty long and I sit in a hollow. It is about 300' lower than the hiway. That drop happens in around 1/10 mile. Coming down it tonight was like an olympic luge run in a 4x4 truck! Gotta admit it is the worst in the 6 years I have lived in the hollow. I'm not a math guy so I don't know how to figure the degree of grade but in roy terms...jeez that was wild.

No way I get back up there tomorrow in the truck. I will have to take the tractor through woods to get to the hiway...or not go in. Plenty of wood, food, guns, ammo, gin, anf 2 good dogs to keep me company. A little low on olives, but hey, it's SNOWMEGEDDON!
USA/NRA

The Ghost
Super Sub

February 1st, 2011, 1:09 am #9

royvern wrote:
wrote:Here in Hannbal they're calling for up to 20 inches. I ran out and grabbed some extra beer. I'm set.
waterdown, I have always admired your style but after that quote, you have elevated your status to iconic in my eyes.

In central MO everythging is coated with at least 1/4 inch of ice. My Drive is pretty long and I sit in a hollow. It is about 300' lower than the hiway. That drop happens in around 1/10 mile. Coming down it tonight was like an olympic luge run in a 4x4 truck! Gotta admit it is the worst in the 6 years I have lived in the hollow. I'm not a math guy so I don't know how to figure the degree of grade but in roy terms...jeez that was wild.

No way I get back up there tomorrow in the truck. I will have to take the tractor through woods to get to the hiway...or not go in. Plenty of wood, food, guns, ammo, gin, anf 2 good dogs to keep me company. A little low on olives, but hey, it's SNOWMEGEDDON!
i also went shopping, but for only the essentials. whiskey and pie. im so set.

SNOWMEGEDDON!!!!

waterdown
Super Sub

February 1st, 2011, 1:22 am #10

Thanks, Roy. We got a little ice here, but it wasn't cold enough to ice the roads. Sounds like you're pretty far out in the sticks.
Worst snow ever was in 95. We lived in the country were snowed in for 3 days til the plow came down our gravel. Luckily on the second day my wife's cousin came by to check on us, he had to park on the main blacktop a quarter mile away. Me and him went after a couple cases of beer and used the kids sleds to drag the beer back to the house.
Nowadays I try to use a little foresight.
BTW my daughter went to Pettibone in the early 90s. Wasn't too long after that they closed it I believe.