Leave Me Here Forever In the Dark...

The road less traveled for our tributes of the 41st Hunger Games.

Leave Me Here Forever In the Dark...

Oct 29 2012, 12:33 AM #1

Call me blind, but I didn't see it comin'. Everyone was runnin' but I couldn't hear nothin; except gun blasts, it happened so fast, I didn't really know this kid though I sat by her in class.

Reggie couldn't feel anything. The swamp around him buzzed with wildlife, crocodile-snake mutts lurked deep underneath the murky, clouded waters, hissing almost silently, slithering along the bottom of the swamp, mud kicking up under the creature's belly, creating ripples and clouds in the water. Reggie didn't turn to meet the small waves in the water, he stood forward, feeling hollow and frightened. He was so frightened. He wanted to go home, he wanted to feel again, he wanted comfort. After witnessing Mercury's slaughter yesterday afternoon as the sky stained red with his blood, he felt sick, and he felt like crying forever. He'd never grown so close to a person that he wasn't related too, and Reggie was only now realizing how terrible it was to be in the Hunger Games. His optimism seemed completely drained at this point.

His new ally, the girl from twelve, wasn't near as friendly as Mercury was, and he knew he probably should talk to her, since they would possibly be together for the rest of their lives, but words couldn't form. His breath was still gone, being sucked from his lungs through a mask, and his lips were a solid stone, to talk would cause him to crumble, so he had to keep still and make no sudden movements unless she spoke up first.

Memories of Mercury continued to swirl in his mind, causing him to whimper every so often. This was just so unfair. He didn't want to be sitting here with Laurel on a log, he wanted to be frolicking in the meadow with Mercury. They could be singing louder than the cannons themselves, twirling and laughing while others sat, consumed with depression and sobbed. Mercury was gone though, he was dead, missing limbs and in a box off in District Six.

And because of this, Reggie wouldn't be frolicking any time soon.

He numbly felt his lip tremble, without real reason, and his eyes dried, not threatening to leak his sorrows any longer. He wasn't going to let this bother him? was he? Reggie was trying to hard, so so hard, to try to be optimistic, but coming face to face with death, holding Mercury's life in his hand like that...Then letting it slip past his fingers... There was no chance he could pull a smile. Mercury's death was his wrongdoing, and he was just going to have to accept that.

An hour or so drooped past, and Reggie felt like he was doing nothing except watching the grass grow. He'd still said no more than a few words to Laurel, but, she hadn't said anything either. The only excuse she had, was her terrible, festering wounds. She must have gotten hurt at some point, but by whom he wondered? He glanced at Laurel slightly, feeling his eyes flicker down to his feet again, then he muttered quietly, "So, How've the games been for you so far...?" Reggie almost recoiled from the sound of his voice. He didn't sound anything like himself anymore, and he felt like his tongue was speaking a foreign, ragged language. He wanted to wish the words away too, because obviously, in her state, Laurel hadn't had a very good Hunger Games, but they were alive. That was all that mattered.

Reggie looked back at her, eyes probably red and swollen from the tears shed over the past few hours, and he almost expected tears from her as well, considering her district partner had exited and not once returned. It looked as if the two had been in love, briefly touching lips before he departed into the reeds and daunting trees. Hopefully he hadn't died. Part of him wished he could die, so they could both share their feelings about their lost friends and lovers, but nobody knew what was to happen. All Reggie knew was that he needed encouragement. He needed to be lifted out of the hole he was digging, because pessimism was not something he was strictly fond of.

"If it makes you feel better...I haven't had a cake-walk either..." He murmured, his voice raspy and raw from his coughing fits he'd endured since day two. Reggie waited for the girl to speak up and talk to him too, pressing his lips together as the seconds passed like hours. His old self had to peak back again soon, there had to be a glimmer of his old self left...There just had to be.

Bright and early, for the daily races, goin' nowhere, goin' nowhere...
I find it hard to tell ya, I find it hard to take, people run in circles, it's a very verry...Mad world. Mad world.

Lyrics are copyright to P.O.D. From the song "the youth of the nation", and of course, "MAD WORLD".
also. FEELS. I CANNOT.

Oct 29 2012, 02:45 AM #2

Laurel hadn't been able to make it far after breakfast that day. Her wounds, sustained in a battle against the career girl from two, a battle in which she'd almost lost her life, were grave. Without Hunter's help, Laurel was restricted to slouching on an old moldy log, slumped over in exhaustion. Her face was gaunt and pale, dark circles under her eyes and her hair hanging around her face in clumps, matted by blood. Occasionally she would cough, a few sprays of blood emerging on the back of her muddy wrist.

She had spared the scared miserable looking boy from five earlier in the day from Hunter's ruthless knife. In her heart, Laurel knew she wasn't long for this world and she wanted no more to see hurt and pain and killing. Despite her heroics, Laurel didn't really give Reggie, their newfound ally, a warm welcome. She didn't even ask for his name or introduce herself. She simply sat there sullenly, miserable and in pain. Even breathing was difficult and she hurt all over, deep into her very bones. The wound on her leg, where the cutlass she now gripped tightly in one hand had stabbed into her flesh, was swollen and through the tear in her pants the skin around it was dark and splotchy. Hunter was gone, Laurel was dying, District 12 was out of hope and somewhere far away Laurel imagined her sister watching her slip away.

Just then a voice brought her out of her dreary reverie. She glanced sideways at him, her lips pressing together as she raised an eyebrow. "Are you serious?" She said weakly, with a bit of a cough that stained her lips crimson with her own blood. She looked away, not really wanting to talk to this kid.

But he continued on, perhaps trying to remedy for his silly question by relating their situations. Laurel, in a sour mood, continued to stare at the swampy earth. "Is that why you've been crying pretty much all day?" She muttered bitterly.

Oct 29 2012, 12:54 PM #3

Reggie hadn't expected Laurel to turn around and talk to him. He hadn't wrapped his mind around logic very well, and the obvious had slipped off his tongue like wet skin to soap. Laurel didn't seem very welcome of him being there, and his screw up had left her even more bitter. The sun was still high in the sky, leaving sweat clinging to his clothes, and undoubtedly, hers too. Reggie was beginning to grow weary and Laurel's bitterness was catching. Little sleep and raging emotions made him a little emotionally unstable, and Reggie was trying hard to keep them back, but the dam was close to bursting, and a few spurts of water shot out on each side of his head.

"Yeah. But...For the record, just because you're dying, that doesn't mean you have to be so bitter about it." He tried, his voice completely differing from his preach. There were his words of wisdom, what he'd learned on the four days that he was trying to help Mercury survive, and he'd been happy. He'd gotten rid of all his bitter notes or frights, and he'd smiled almost completely throughout the arena. Hell, he'd been happy enough to skip through flowers.

He glanced back at Laurel, eyes no longer solemn, but now narrowed slightly. Deep down, he knew he had the chance to just ditch Laurel here, or kill her and take her things, but after Mercury...He couldn't hurt a fly. Let alone steal the fly's wings. Merry wouldn't have wanted him to do anything to poor Laurel, in her weakened, deathly state. Her face conveyed she was flirting with death, only inches away from the grim reaper's mask. She could probably feel the uneasy warmth of his breath upon her. Reggie felt chills appear on his arms and then spread around his body, and now he was staring at her.

"I've been happy this entire five days. My ally kept my spirits high, this entire time... Then he was ripped from me, and he was cut apart like a voodoo doll. His arm, his eye, gone. I have a reason to. So do you... But, you've proven to me that you don't have the strength to cry, so instead of pretending, why don't you try thinking optimistic for a change." He explained somewhat bitterly, feeling his voice grow heavy and burdened. He stood slowly, not taking his eyes off her, then he walked behind the log and grabbed his backpack, then he walked through the trees, not telling her if he'd be back. Little did Laurel know, she had a surprise coming for her.

Reggie slunk through the trees until he was far away enough to speak aloud and have her not understand him, then he crouched and took out his water bottle and stuck it into the murky swamp, watching some small fish frantically swim away as the bottle touched the top of the water. He let it fill to the top, then he took his last purification then squeezed the little canister, watching as a small drop of neon light dripped into the murkiness, then paused at the center and illuminated. The murkiness began to fade from the water, and the neon light turned green. The water was now drinkable. He didn't take a sip though.

He grabbed his backpack and slung it back over his shoulder, then began climbing through the trees back to where Laurel was. This was going to be painful for both him and her both. It would be emotionally painful for him, and physical for her. He'd done this with Mercury, their first horrid night in the arena. She wouldn't know about this though. She'd probably not even know what to think of him.

Reggie slowly walked back into the small clearing where Laurel was still slumped on the log, still pale and ghostly. She was still alive, but her breathing looked labored and thin. This could either kill her, or make her wounds feel a bit more pleasant. He dropped his backpack behind the log then gripped the waterbottle and stood in front of her. He began looking all over her to find a particularly dirty wound, and stopped at her leg wound. It was a nasty cut, the skin was dark and blotchy, swollen and gashed, torn all around. Reggie held back a yelp, then he murmured, still half-heartedly, "This is gonna hurt... But, it'll clean it out and make it hurt less in a few minutes..."

He uncapped the water bottle, then decided to start gently, because there would no doubt be a jump. "Bite your jacket if you need to scream."

He got close to the wound, then Reggie let the water stream onto the cut, bracing himself for Laurel's agonized bitten off scream of pain. Hopefully she would understand his intentions were well. All he was simply doing, was preaching through example, that it wasn't hard to be a light, even in a time of utter darkness.

Oct 29 2012, 10:38 PM #4

Laurel glanced up from staring at the dirt, turning her head towards Reggie (but only slightly because of the gash at the base of her neck) to give him a sullen glare. Not be bitter? Just what did he expect her to be? Happy? At peace out here in the middle of this swampy hell? He didn't earn himself a reply for that one though, just a bit of scoff. She knew quite well that the kid could kill her now, and nothing was stopping him. Just like nothing was stopping Hunter from ending him when he accidentally ran into them this morning. But Laurel had stopped it, and it appeared that he was either repaying her the favor or perhaps he was just a gentle person. If Laurel had to guess she'd pick the latter... or maybe it was a bit of both. She knew nothing about this boy, they'd grown up worlds apart and soon they would die and be worlds apart once more. Or maybe wherever it was they were going after their death was the same place. Laurel had no idea.

Then he was speaking again, claiming that he'd been happy the past five days. Laurel scoffed again. Was he for real? "Well good for you." She muttered, before falling silent as Reggie told what happened to his ally. "Optimistic?" Laurel repeated, incredulously. "Isn't it great? I killed a career, and got her sword, and now I'm going to die either a slow and painful death, or at the hands of some kid with a spear."* She said with bitter sarcasm lacing her voice. The effort of speaking made her cough again, a bit more violently, and she could taste the metallic taste of blood, and feel it on her teeth.

Reggie stood and Laurel didn't look at him. Maybe he was going to sneak up on her and stab her in the back. She wondered if she should bother to stop him. Maybe it would be easier if she were dead, instead of suffering like this, waiting anxiously for Hunter to return. Where in the world had he gone off to anyways. She could not be sure whether or not she heard a cannon that morning, not with the pounding inside her head. After a while Reggie returned, and to her surprise he stopped in front of her and dropped to one knee, seemingly to assess her wounds. He gave a yelp when he saw her leg and Laurel turned her eyes away, not wanting to look either.

Her leg tensed just when Reggie got near it. She knew it was going to hurt and she almost refused to let him attempt to help her but she was just too tired and weak to argue. When the water started to stream over her leg Laurel let out a hiss of agony as the pain blinded her and nearly made her sick again. Blood and puss and all sorts of disgusting started to stream from the infected wound, and Laurel felt the tears rising in her eyes. She blinked them away but this only made them spill and when she felt them on her cheeks she accidentally let a small sob escape. "Stop." She choked out, unable to take it any more. "It's no use."

*Foreshadowing ftw

Oct 30 2012, 11:49 PM #5

Reggie had to fight off a tremble as all sorts of dirt and grime and puss washed away with the purified water. It was gut-wrenchingly terrible to look at, and Reggie almost obeyed what Laurel was asking him to do, for his own good, but he knew it would be for the best to continue pouring the water on her wound though. He did stop momentarily, however, to let her recover from her blinding white-hot pain that she was surely experiencing. Her eyes told that tale clearly, leaking beads of tears onto her cheeks. A small sob escaped and she weakly called him to stop, obviously feeling unable to take the pain much longer. "It's no use."

Reggie creased his eyebrows lightly as he let her recover, focusing as hard as he could on her leg, then he lifted the water bottle again, not letting water trickle past the top though. "It might be no use to SAVE your leg...But it can't hurt to try to clean it a little..." He murmured half-heartedly. he was beginning to feel a little hurt himself at the fact that Laurel still refused help. Mercury would never have done such a thing, he would have thanked him tenfold, and then he would have allowed Reggie to do as he had to to keep him safe. Laurel didn't seem to do the same as Mercury had though.

"I-I'm sorry...I'm trying to help..." He murmured, feeling his own voice waver as he began to let more purified water slip down Laurel's purulent, infected wound. He didn't want to be hurting Laurel, that was the last thing he ever wanted, but sometimes there had to be one last stab of pain before one could feel the blissful relief of numbness.

Nov 6 2012, 04:30 AM #6

Arie gon kill me

Nov 6 2012, 04:31 AM #7

"I know." Laurel said through grit teeth. "And dully noted, OK?" The acknowledged Zener's help, but she couldn't take it any more. The pain, the useless hope that only made her feel sick. She was so weak, she just sort of wanted to be left alone. For a second the thought even crossed her mind of asking the kid to just end it for her. But he seemed so emotional and weak willed... would he even be able to pull it off? Laurel somehow doubted it.

"But just stop." She raised her hand and pushed his arm away, her fingers clammy and pale against his skin. "You're wasting water. It's hopeless ok...? Honestly, it's just making me feel worse." She had to stop, cause her voice broke a little bit when she spoke. "You saw those careers, and what they did to your friend."

"Face it. No one here has any hope left. Not even the winner."

Nov 8 2012, 02:31 AM #8

As Laurel noted that he was just trying to help, Reggie tried to cheer himself up. He wanted to be happy for at least being willing to try to help this poor girl, but the fact that he knew she completely dodged the fact that she'd lived made him sink away. Her pessimism only made him feel worse, but this time, he was beginning to feel the same way. As he only half-heartedly tried to pour water on her wound again, she pushed his arm away with a clammy and pale hand. He looked at her, eyes widened and visibly emotional, then pressed his lips together and lowered the bottle back to his sides, defeated.

"It's hopeless ok...?"

Reggie turned and his eyes met Laurel's again, and his first urge was to scream out, 'no, there's always hope!' But, who was he kidding. Even though he tried his hardest to stay happy, Laurel was completely right. There wasn't hope right now. There was none physically for Laurel, and none emotionally for him. He just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry, for hours and hours, without stopping. As if it would cease the aching he was feeling in his chest. He wished it would, but he knew it wouldn't for long.

"You saw those careers, and what they did to your friend. Face it. No one here has any hope left."

Reggie looked down, afraid to look at the girl again, then kept his mouth sealed shut. He had so much he wanted to say to her, but he had none of the willpower and none of the energy too. Everything was falling apart, crumbling at the foundation, and Laurel was just demolishing the small crust left standing. But, that's what happened in the Hunger Games, there was no 'rebuilding after the storm'. No matter how hard he pretended.

"You don't understand though." Reggie blurted suddenly, still not meeting her gaze.

"There isn't hope...I know that. I've known that since the day I was reaped. But, my god, do you know that if I wasn't one of those annoying people who liked to cling on to that tiny last bit of hope, I'd be dead right now? You're lucky to be emotionally stable in this kind of state. Because not everyone is. You talk about not having hope, and I can understand you, but you can't really feel it like I do. You're gonna die soon, you can't feel anything right now. I might live though, I'm on the edge. I feel it ten times harder than you do. We're the same really. You're physically almost dead, I'm emotionally dying too. "

Reggie wasn't sure if he'd made any sense to Laurel, but he didn't care. Laurel was about to die, and he was about to just give up. He needed to just vent some held back feelings. He was going to talk to her about other things, but other words had just slipped out instead. He'd kept back the words too long, and he just needed to let them out. He couldn't do it alone, nobody would listen, and that would only make the words even more painful.

"Sorry for ranting. I kind of need this though." He murmured, only now meeting her eyes again, mouth sealed into a frown.

Nov 9 2012, 07:58 AM #9

"Don't." Laurel tried to cut Reggie off before he embarked on his ramblings. "...tell me what I understand." She mumbled, her voice drowned out by Reggie's. Her body gave a shuddering sigh.

"Look, that's really nice and all but can we stop talking about this?" Laurel cutting in bitterly, interrupting Reggie's his apology. Immediately Laurel felt sort of bad for being harsh. In a quieter voice, she went on. "I've accepted my fate. If you want to keep fighting then good for you. You can take my stuff after I'm dead, how's that? Maybe it'll help you."

Laurel suddenly gave a rattling cough, doubling over with a cry of pain. Just then there was a rustle in the bushes nearby. Clutching her stomach in pain, Laurel looked up weakly. "What was that...?"

((Figured we could move this towards when Hadrian shows up. This may very well be my fade out of this scene. Sorry it's short... remembering Laurel is really starting to hurt my heart <3 ))