Brave New World

Sep 13 2015, 06:46 PM #1

It had taken a while to plan everything, but finally Kit had gotten it done. With the fences down after their little trip to District Five, it would be a shame not to explore the opportunity properly. Especially considering that throghout all this time Kit had been teaching Gabby survival skills in a little cramped room at headquarters. He was aware that this was a valuable experience not only for her to put her skills to the test out in the field, but also to really see what it was like out there.

Kit was aware it was dangerous to go out, even with the fences down and the Peacekeepers worried about other things, but that was part of the experience. She needed to see it wasn't just something stupid. He needed to show her the results, for her to really see that her mother hadn't died in vain.

So after days of careful planning, they set off into the wilderness. That was the easy part, getting out and staying out. It was kind of like a fun camping trip. Kit took the time to get to know the girl a little better. He already felt responsible for her, after what had happened, but from that moment on he truly started feeling like a big brother, to her and the other two back at home.

After two days in the wild they finally reached the border. He saw the green fields before he even spotted the fence, their immensity managing to drown out all other things. The metal of the fence keeping them out was nothing but a little speck in the horizon. It was fairly easy to find a good passing spot, considering the amount of trees they could use to climb over. The difficult part came afterwards. Perhaps Kit had never really noticed before how much he stood out from the people of Eleven. The smog that filled District Eight didn't allow for him to get much of a tan, and the clothes were much different. Gabby stood out even more. Thy would have to go and find some new clothes before they could proceed any further.

The problem was, they didn't know their way about the District. Luckily for Kit, he was travelling with a teenage girl. With an air of confidence, Gabby announced she would take care of this, and walked off into the distance, towards a group of teenagers. She looked off, like she didn't belong, but perhaps if she said the right words they wouldn't notice. Just in case, Kit stood in the distance with an eye on the situation and an hand on his weapon, ready to act at any sign of trouble.

With ease, Gabby approached the group and greeted them with a nod. "Hey guys, would any of you be willong to help me out? I'm looking for a place where I can buy some clothes. All I have is hand me downs from my cousins and they don't exactly fit my style." She eyed one of the girls particularly, whose face looked slightly familiar. For a while Gabby couldn't say where she knew her from, but then it dawned on her. "Wait... aren't you...?"

Sep 17 2015, 02:49 PM #2

Peppadew was turning sixteen soon, and she was trying her best to become an adult--and especially tired as being seen as the youngest victor. She wasn't a baby, she could be a good mentor, but her memory of her own games was nearly as hazy as Semonia. It made her feel guilty, but it also brought out her natural stubborn sassback streak, and she lorded over the rest of the students in her class accordingly. Peppadew's parents, regardless of whether or not their daughter had won the hunger games or not, forced her still to return to school. Her education about the world was not yet complete.

She was just leaving school, satchel slung over her shoulder, dressed as a regular girl from Eleven and not like a victor or a capitolite. Peppadew's shift-dress was worn from being washed, even though their home in Victor's Village came with a newfangled washing machine, Persimmon, her mother, preferred to do their washing by hand, as she always did. The only change about her was that she wore shoes now, instead of going barefoot everywhere. A girl, who did not look like she lived in Eleven approached, and Peppadew turned her head. "Yeah, I'm Peppa." she returned, finishing the sentence, already a crook in her hip as she looked the girl up and down.

District Eleven was the hardest of all the districts, before Twelve, and many people had taken advantage of jumping the fence. Some were looking for District Thirteen, the rumors of the destroyed district running through the entire country like wildfire. Others, were merely looking to get away--to burrow deep into the unknown and hopefully elude recapture.

"Who the hell are you?" Peppa inquired, giving the girl a look. It wasn't often that they had any interlopers from other districts.

Sep 26 2015, 10:33 AM #3

In a weird way, Peppa reminded Gabby of her mom. It didn't make much sense, considering they hadn't even been in the same games, but something about the fact that this girl was a Victor, and her mom could have been one, sparked a connection in Gabby's head. If she had time and the guts Gabby would like to sit down with the other teenager and just talk for a while, about anything and everything, but sadly this wasn't the situation for that.

With a small smile Gabby stretched out her hand in a greeting. "I'm Gabby, nice to meet you." Usually she introduced herself using her full name, but considering it was a very typical Eight name she decided against it. Gabby would have to suffice. "So, will you help me out?"

Kit watched the exchange from a distance. Like Gabby he had also recognized Peppa, amd he was starting to get very nervous. He wasn't familiar with all Victors, but he was certain that at least some of them sided with the Capitol, whom had brought them piles of riches. If Peppa was one of those Victors then the situation could get terrible. One word from her would probably cause both of them to be arrested, injured or something worst.

Calmly he deposited a finger on the trigger of his gun. He would probably get in even more trouble if he shot a Victor, but it was worth risking. If they were in trouble it would at least buy some time for Gabby to get away. It was the least he could do to pay back the sacrifice of her mother. "Come on, just shake her hand." Perhaps he should go over there, or perhaps this whole trip had been a bad idea. They should have brought the clothes from home or something like that but he hadn't thought about that despite all of his planning.

Oct 28 2015, 06:48 PM #4

Peppadew eyed the girl's hand warily, before taking it and giving a quick shake. "Peppadew, but everyone calls me Peppa. I'll help you out, but you should make your visit short, yeah? The 'keepers are spooked.". They were already bringing people back by the busload, peacekeepers with forest and fauna-destroying buses driving through the uncharted territory, looking for escapees.

"Follow me, and stick close." she ordered, helping them because Peopadew was the epitome of a rebellious teenager, from sasssmouthing her elders to trying out reckless stunts dangerous acts and substances. She couldn't leave--it made no sense, according to her parents. They lived well in one of the darkest districts, and to be caught might mean something dire.

"Keep up." Peppa cautioned, leading them through fruit-strewn dirt roads. Many people raided the orchard and factories, stealing food for a journey into the unknown. The Capitol had told them for years that the world beyond the gates was ruined and dead from the Dark Days.

Finally, they were in the Roux townhome situated in Victor's Village. "I'm afraid that most things are shut down with the fences and electricity down. We look to be about the same size, and Winnie makes sure I have more clothes than I need." Peppadew opened the door and walked inside, taking off her shoes. "My room is right upstairs."