Information: board disabled

Seventh of Nine?

corinthian
Lieutenant
corinthian
Lieutenant

10:07 AM - Jun 09, 2014 #1

In TNG Hugh called himself third of however many. Seven was seventh in a group of nine drones, but why was that shortened to Seven?

Roysten
Captain
Roysten
Captain

6:45 PM - Jun 09, 2014 #2

I can just imagine a screening of the first few scene with their new Borg character and starting with the dialogue: "I am Seventh of Nine tertiary adjunct of unimatrix zero one" and everyone looking at each and saying "this isn't going to work".

LCARS 24
Captain

10:48 AM - Jun 10, 2014 #3

Funny--Robert F. Kennedy once said, "I was the seventh of nine children. When you come from that far down you have to struggle to survive."

Source (caption below the beach photo):
The Kennedy Legacy

And, sorry, there is a book titled Seventh of Nine (only 23 pages), authored by Anne Marie Mackler. presumably not about the Borg.

(I must be one of those people who shouldn't be allowed to use a search engine.)

Section47
Captain

10:34 PM - Jun 26, 2014 #4

Seven of nine people on the runabout were assimilated by the Borg. The other two barely escaped with their lives. This was the seventh of nine Starfleet vessels visiting that sector in the past month to encounter the Borg.
All your base are mine

LCARS 24
Captain

12:31 PM - Jul 03, 2014 #5

I've gotten the overall impression that Star Trek from the beginning has been written pretty much with good grammar but they can't afford to reshoot for a grammatical error by an actor that most people would make and that good grammar finds its way in mainly when actors deliver their lines verbatim.

Regardless, they end up saying some pretty stupid things, not just grammatically. One that stands out is "increase gain by one to the fourth power" in TOS: Court Martial, an otherwise good episode. Yet with so many supposedly well educated people on the set and in postproduction, nobody caught an error that knocked my socks off when I first heard it and would have had the same effect on any Vulcan.

About Seven of Nine, "Number Seven of Nine" would be okay, and if you think of "Seven of Nine" as a shortening of that for the Borg to save time, then there's no problem. They could have said that once and been in the clear.