Information: board disabled

Registration

LCARS 24
Captain

4:26 PM - Jun 07, 2014 #1

When registering, in addition to filling in the boxes for your desired username and password and your e-mail address, you must also input something in a CAPTCHA box. This is to screen out spambots, which are programs designed to automatically register at millions of forums and post advertising, which is very annoying to the staff and members alike. With so many ads plastered all over Web sites these days, it's a habit to ignore anything in the style of the CAPTCHA box. And our hopefully pleasant color scheme here at Star Trek Journal is in stark contrast to the colors of CAPTCHA, making it especially easy to mistake for an ad.

Here's an example of what it looks like. In this case one must type in the words "root beer float" in the input box labeled "Your Answer" at lower left inside the CAPTCHA box. That will convince the forum software that you are a person, not some malicious computer program that attacks forums.

Roysten
Captain
Roysten
Captain

8:46 PM - Jun 11, 2014 #2

Were we not going to have a Trek related Captcha, or was that just a conversation being discussed in a different thread?

LCARS 24
Captain

12:02 AM - Jun 12, 2014 #3

That was in the thread in the Official Star Trek Movie Forum about the closure of Janeway's forum, before I even knew anything about forum hosts or how they work.

I've already had to do some customization of the forum software just for very minor things, which in each case took some JavaScript newly devised by experts and testing to make sure the patch works with every browser.

I do have the ability to turn CAPTCHA off, but I would need to replace it with some other screening first or be flooded with spambots. I've asked for a patch that would allow one additional input box but haven't gotten any help on that yet. One box and an image of my own making would act as Trek-related and better-looking CAPTCHA that nobody would mistake for advertising.

LCARS 24
Captain

6:46 AM - Jun 12, 2014 #4

One of the experts just told me the best thing to do would be to add more text next to the capture box to make it clear that it's not advertising. But he also said spambots can deter JavaScript, which is what would be used to do anything, even adding more text. Maybe they'll come up with a better answer.

Maybe adding an input box is difficult.

LCARS 24
Captain

7:51 AM - Jun 13, 2014 #5

What I got from the experts was JavaScript that changes the software's text above the CAPTCHA box from the concise but not clear enough "To keep away spam, please complete the following" to my own replacement text "So that we know you are a person, not a spambot, please fill in the text box at lower left in the multicolored box below."

That's what is safely doable, and it clarifies three points of possible confusion. Hopefully that's good enough.

LCARS 24
Captain

6:04 AM - Jun 14, 2014 #6

One more little tweak. Now the text just above and that to the left of the CAPTCHA box has been changed. Hopefully this is good enough.

Q
Commander
Q
Commander

10:46 AM - Jun 16, 2014 #7

That must be good enough. If they can't make it through that, how are they going to post?

It's a snap.