Information: board disabled

Message in a Bottle

LCARS 24
Captain

3:32 PM - Jul 04, 2014 #1

Seven of Nine discovers indications of a Starfleet vessel via an ancient communication network that extends to the Alpha Quadrant. Attempts at subspace communication fail, and with that vessel moving out of range and time running out, they decide to send the EMH, who successfully arrives on the U.S.S. Prometheus, a highly advanced Starfleet prototype with incredibly beautiful interiors, only to find the crew dead and the ship taken over by Romulans, the start of a great Doctor episode, one of the best of the series, with spectacular eye candy, lots of humor, plenty of opportunity for Robert Picardo to do his Doctor shtick (especially with Andy Dick playing the new EMH-2 on the Prometheus, giving the Doctor plenty of cause to be grumpy), and lots of action and gratifying scenes with ships of Nebula, Akira, and Defiant class, as well as the Prometheus and Romulan Warbirds.

It was also our introduction to the Hirogen, this time only Idrin (later seen in VOY: Hunters), played by seven-foot-tall Tiny Ron, who played Maihar'du, Grand Negus Zek's Hupyrian servent, in seven episodes of DS9.

But to nitpick a little, when the EHM dematerialized, so did his mobile emitter (which should have simply fallen to the floor), Captain Janeway's hairstyle was awful, and Andy Probert (who designed the Romulan D'Deridex-class Warbird) complained about the firing of a disruptor beam from the main deflector in this episode. The impulse exhausts were missing from the Warbirds. (When I was making an MSD of that vessel, he described where they should be after I had drawn them differently, explaining that they had been in a hurry and grabbed the drawings from this desk before he was finished. But Greg Jein, who made the model, built it without that, and Andy didn't check up on the work at that time. Therefore, they are always missing onscreen.) And when the Doctor returned, I would have expected him to eventually at least tell the captain about the new Starfleet uniforms. Changing to the new style might have been something of a morale booster for the crew.

Steve5618
Captain

12:55 PM - Jul 08, 2014 #2

Message in a bottle? Yeah, good one. Cool ship, that Promy.
Live large and perspire

Roysten
Captain
Roysten
Captain

7:13 PM - Jul 08, 2014 #3

I really enjoyed the interaction between the two EMHs, I remember reading somewhere that it's very similar in some ways to the relationship between Fraiser and Niles, which I can definitely see coming through, some great chemistry there.

Like Q I loved the Prometheus, a quality idea for a ship. The opening scene with Seven and the Hirogen was also very funny.

Taking the other side of the coin for a moment though...

Like many season 4 and 5 episodes this episode is quite cynical in that it decides to leave the Delta Quadrant and Voyager behind and focus almost solely on the Doctor and stuff happening in the Alpha Quadrant. Of course this to a quality episode but what does that say about what the writers thought about the rest of the cast and the show in general. I can almost imagine them sitting round a table and saying "wow DS9s last couple of seasons are eally hard hitting and quality TV, maybe we should try and capitalise on that a bit". This isn't the first or the last time we get an episode that is Seven or Doctor centred or not really set on Voyager or even the Delta quadrant! So me just another symptom of writers not really getting or wanting to develop the majority of the cast, shame really as I still think that Voyager had so much more potential then what we actually got.

Sorry, rant over!

22123magic
Lieutenant
22123magic
Lieutenant

12:04 AM - Jul 12, 2014 #4

One of my favorite episodes. :)

22123magic's Star Trek Games
Permanently stationed in the PAR-TAY sector!

Thunderchild
Captain

5:20 PM - Jul 24, 2014 #5

Beautiful episode, and not just because of the cool space scenes.

Tuesday
Captain
Tuesday
Captain

1:33 PM - Jul 29, 2014 #6

Fun episode, especially with the two doctors.