The First Champion

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 14th, 2017, 3:07 am #1

*It was a bright late-spring afternoon in the northern reaches of the vast Moonwalde, near a tiny village called Vedren, due south of the town of Urglin, in a land known to its people as Liria. An orcish hunter named Roknar, though he wore no tabard or helm, dipped his finger in a few drops of blood on a broken twig, bringing them up to sniff them thoughfully. That stag had been so big he'd almost confused it for an elk at first glance, and it was slowing down. The village would eat well tonight...just as long as he got to his kill before any predators did. If he was too late, well...wolf wasn't as tasty as venison, but it would do. Roknar was fortunate, however, five minutes later following the blood trail, he found the dying deer sprawled out on the forest floor, his broken spear sticking out of its side. He'd have to make a new handle for it, which was an annoyance, but a kill was a kill. Roknar slit the beast's throat with his knife to end its suffering, dabbed his forehead and cheeks with its blood to claim the glory of the kill, and thanked its spirit for its sacrifice. With that done, Roknar got to work, taking out his rope, he tested the nearest thick tree branch and hung his kill to drain the blood. He figured he'd give that an hour or two, maybe he could scare up a turkey, or a couple geese while he waited.

....Roknar's luck didn't hold. He found a grouse, but missed, and by the time he recovered his throwing axe, the sun was beginning to dip. He returned for his deer, took it down, and hoisted the carcass over his shoulders as he began the journey back to his village. At 6'5, Roknar wasn't a large man by orcish standards, but his people were prodigiously strong, carrying a 200 pound stag a couple miles was just a day's work to him. As he approached the clearing where Vedren had been built however, Roknar heard screams and the sounds of battle, the color draining from his cheeks.*

Roknar: <Oh no....>

*Roknar dropped the deer and broke into a run, drawing his waraxe and thanking the ancestors he'd brought it with him on account of dire boars in the area. Vedren was just a collection of huts, wood, thatch, daub...stone for the chieftain, and a longhall, their only fences were for keeping livestock in and predators out, they had no palisade wall or other defenses. Approaching the village proved Roknar's worst fear....human raiders. And since only an idiot would think a village so small had anything worth stealing, they could only be after one thing...its people. These were slavers...Roknar prayed he wasn't too late for his people...his mate...his children! The cowards had attacked when they knew the hunters would all be away....but they hadn't counted on Thagg. At nearly 8 feet tall, Thagg the woodcutter, Roknar's battle-brother since they were old enough to hold axes, was massive even for an orc, trained as a berserker during the last war between his people and the humans, and even outnumbered a dozen to one with half as many crossbow bolts sticking out of him, Thagg was holding the raiders back, a greataxe in each hand. Ancestors be praised that he'd taken the day off!

Thagg kicked one of the raiders in the chest hard enough to send him flying, three others approaching him with their shields up and their swords on guard, trying to surround him, but Thagg bull-rushed the one on the left, embedding the blade of his left axe deep into his shield and tearing out out of his hand before using his right axe to rend him completely in half. The man next to him stabbed Thagg in the arm as he did so, but he barely noticed, swatting him away with a backhand. The gruesome death of one of their number demoralized the raiders, for a moment it looked like they might break and retreat to find an easier target, but that moment didn't last as a lucky shot from their arbalist hit Thagg in the throat. He gurgled, dropping one axe to clutch his neck, and fell to his knees, the arbalist reloading and laughing at him before putting the next bolt straight through his forehead, Thagg slumping over dead as the humans cheered.

Roknar: <THAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!>

*Roknar had been too late, just seconds too late to save his friend! His vision went red and his muscles bulged as bloodrage overcame him, the humans turning in surprise at his scream just in time for one of their heads to come clean off as the raging, berserk orc swung his waraxe in a wild frenzy. The arbalist reloaded but Roknar's throwing axe found his hand before it found the trigger, the maimed raider falling over screaming and clutching his bloody stump as Roknar's axe met the bandit leader's sword, iron crashing against steel and sparks flying, Roknar barely jumping back in time as a hidden dagger flashed in the raider's other hand, slicing a hole in the leather scale armor he was wearing. They were big, for humans, Roknar thought through the haze of the bloodrage, he barely had a size advantage over the leader, and humans were quick.... Roknar took a wide swing at the leader, forcing him to jump back, opening up some space between him and the rest of the raiders. If he could take out the leader, maybe just maybe the rest would scatter! That was easier said than done though. Roknar hurled his other throwing axe, but the bandit leader parried it, though this gave Roknar an opening for a swing at his chest. Damn the humans and their steel though, he was wearing a chainmail shirt! Roknar's axe failed to penetrate on a one-handed swing, but just the impact must have at least bruised a couple ribs. The bandit leader stumbled backwards and Roknar pressed his advantage, raising his axe, but the bandit leader kicked dirt in his eyes and another bandit grabbed him from behind around the waist, trying to tackle him. Roknar elbowed the man so hard he heard his clavicle break, but the bandit leader was able to stab him while he was restrained. Roknar twisted out of the way too late, the raider's sword opening a deep gash in his side. A human might have been incapacitated by such a wound, but a bloodraging orc could shrug it off...at least for a while, and Roknar was able to trap the man's sword arm with his own and break it with a twist, making him scream. He flailed with his dagger, but missed, Roknar punching him in the jaw and dropping him to the ground before getting on top of him, delivering blow after blow after blow to his face until it was a bloody mess before pulling his knife to finish him off....and then paused, looking around. He'd killed men before, today and in the war...but he'd never killed a man who'd already been beaten to the point he couldn't fight back. He could see the other raiders, they were already afraid of him, would finishing their leader even accomplish anything? He could see his older son, peeking out the door of their hut cheering his father on...was this who he wanted his children to grow up to be? He could see other hunters running out of the trees having heard the battle, the humans weren't gonna stick around to fight them all, even if they won they'd lose too many of their own to be worth it. The red fog of bloodrage slowly lifted, and Roknar dropped his knife, grabbing the beaten human by his chainmail tunic and hurling his body at his nearest comrades.*

Roknar: RUNN!!!!! RUN OR I KILL YOU ALL!!!

*Roknar let out a roar that sounded like a gorilla and the bandits fled in terror, abandoning most of their weapons and their cage carts and horses. Meanwhile, hovering above the battlefield, watching from the Fugue Plane, the Valkyrie Svana Njordrdottir groaned in frustration that she had to get the one orc in a million who showed mercy even in a bloodrage. Oh well, she could still take Thagg, right?

Roknar's head swam from both his wound and bloodrage withdrawal. He staggered towards Thagg's body, collapsing and crawling the last few yards, cradling his friend's head in his arms.*

Roknar: <Oh Thagg....I'm so sorry....>

*Roknar's tears streamed as he held his dead battle-brother....and then, suddenly, he felt like he was elsewhere, like his mind had been disconnected to his body and pulled to somewhere far away, somewhere where he could see....Celia, smiling down on him from above and wiggling her bunny ears. She was the most majestic thing he'd ever seen, in her golden armor, her hair shining like the sun as flames dripped from her wings.*

Celia: Roknar of Vedren....you are exactly what I've been looking for! My name is Celia, and I am...

Roknar: ....A God.....

*Celia got a big goofy grin and nodded.*

Celia: Your friend may have another chance, you've earned it, his survival is not conditional on accepting My offer. But I need someone to help Me, Liria is in danger, worse things than these terrible men threaten your way of life.

Roknar: Anything....anything You ask!

Celia: I will try not to ask more of you than you can give....

*And Roknar was back in his body, not a single beat of his heart having passed! A pillar of shining lights exploded out of Thagg's corpse, the crossbow bolts seeming to melt away as he opened his eyes and gasped for breath.*

Roknar: <Thagg?! THAGG!!!>

*Roknar embraced the very confused looking Thagg.*

Thagg: <I'm...back?! Where'd the pretty lady with the wings go?>

Svana: Oh come on!!! OH COME THE FUCK ON!!! YOU LITTLE....

*Roknar couldn't hear the obscenities Svana was screaming in his face, as he could neither perceive nor interact with her through the veil separating life from death. But even so, he just had a feeling somehow that he'd really offended someone! The villagers were slowly coming out of their huts, in awe of Roknar's miracle. He winced, instinctively putting his hand over the injury in his side, and without even thinking about it, soft white light began to pour out of his hand, and he felt the wound slowly disappearing. Thagg got to his feet with a grunt, pointing to the carts the humans had brought with them. They had wooden cages on them, one full of kidnapped people, the other empty, clearly they'd intended to fill it with captives from the village. Thagg walked up to the full cart, grabbing the underside of it.*

Thagg: THAGG HAVE YOU OUT OF THERE FAST!

*Thagg heaved, tossing the cart over on its side and causing the cage to smash open. This wasn't the GENTLEST way to free the prisoners, but it was definitely the Thagg way! Most of them were orcs, a couple humans...which revolted Roknar even more, because what kind of monsters would enslave their own people? And one little saurian girl....*

(OOC: Dialog in <> is in Orcish, all other dialog is in Common.)

Actually it's about ethics...and possibly biting off your leg!

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 14th, 2017, 6:25 pm #2

In between all the shades of green and tan was one body that would stand out a great amount, and not just because she was scaly and clearly a young reptile girl. But because she was a swirl of rainbow colors, each of her scales able to take on a different color at her will, or at her mood. Oddly enough, her hair was purple, which seemed like it would defeat the purpose of her clearly chameleon-like ancestral adaptation.

She tumbled out from the group of captured people when Thagg knocked their cage over, picking herself up and looking around with wide eyes, taking a moment to register and verify what had just happened.

"We're free!" she cheered, her body swirling colors all over ecstatically like a reverse waterfall of food dyes.

"We're free!" she'd cheer again, but then her colors would slowly come down to set in place.

"We're..." she then hug herself, and one might expect her to shiver, but being cold blooded, shivering wouldn't warm her up, so she did not biologically have that reaction, "Cold!" she yelped out, having just moments ago been nestled in the middle of a tightly packed group of warm blooded people.

And then in a blur of motion, which started with her dropping to the ground like a rock, she'd disappear. It seemed after all that even her hair could change color. The people in the cages would have gotten a good view of her hair, which was actually transparent, and had similar properties to optical fibers (not that those would be invented for thousands of years) and would show the color of the pigments the saurian girl took up on her scalp. Purple was just her favorite color. Obviously her camouflage was not perfect, and movement would give her away like the shimmering of heat waves distorting images through air, but like a snow leopard in alpines, if one lost track of her it might be really difficult to spot her again.

However Thagg might feel something lithely climbing up his back, and the little saurian girl would reveal herself again, this time most of her body being a swirl of deep indigo and dark blues.

"But we're free because of this warm body with the very thick skull! Saurika loves Thagg!" Saurika would say and kiss Thagg's cheek, but then jump off of him and scurried over to Roknar, where she would try to bury her face into his hands, her body turning a soft white to match the light.

"You make skyfire! You are magicks? Come! You make sad warm bodies happy!" Saurika said, and would try to pull Roknar over to the freed captives, "Everyone! Look! Skyfire! Fire from even higher than the great flying dinos! Bright and warm and good! Everything is better now! Oh! Saurika knows! Thagg and skyfire magicks can take everyone to Home! Warm bodies were so sad! They say want to go to Home! Meat-like warm bodies lie to us. They say they going to give Saurika salt and take her to nice warm body nesting-ground. But then they laugh at Saurika when she gets in cage! Say they lied! Say they going to take us to salt caves! Saurika does not want to go in caves! Cage was nice, though. At first. But warm bodies crying and sad, no matter how much Saurika hugs them. You take them to Home, yes? Is nearby?"

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 14th, 2017, 6:53 pm #3

*Roknar's hands were back to normal though by the time Saurika got there, whatever he'd done he'd done by instinct, and had no idea how to "turn it on" again. And then this girl was going on about "skyfire" and "magicks", and the captives were asking questions and begging him for blessings and help and Roknar was just so overwhelmed....*

Roknar: Ummm...I...I'll try...? I...I think?

*To tell the truth, Roknar probably had even less of an idea what had just happened than Saurika, he'd been so amazed by Celia he'd have said yes to just about anything and the realization was only just hitting him that he'd made some sort of cosmic bargain with a being he couldn't even begin to understand, and he had no idea what either side of the deal entailed!

Thagg got a big happy grin when Saurika kissed his cheek! When Saurika started "explaining" Roknar to the other captives though, Thagg would quickly run over and pick her up in a huge...and warm...bear hug. Half because Thagg thought she was just the most adorable thing ever, and half to save the clearly overwhelmed Roknar from her.*

Thagg: CUTE LITTLE DINO MAKE THAGG HAPPY!! SO EAGER! THAGG HAVE ARMS LIKE TREES! KEEP WARM WITH HUG!

*Thagg wasn't actually yelling, he just had such a set of lungs on him that he tended to bellow whenever he tried to speak Common, which he clearly wasn't that great at.*

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 14th, 2017, 7:02 pm #4

"Eee! Thagg make Saurika happy! Big strong Thagg! Much better arms than trees! Tree not warm like Thagg! Thagg is better! Good hugs! Hugs make everything better!" Saurika said, hugging onto Thagg's arms and swirling blue and indigo.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 15th, 2017, 4:14 am #5

*given a little breathing room to collect himself and think, Roknar cleared his throat, holding his hands up to quiet the crowd of freed captives.*

Roknar: What just happened was not my doing, it was...some other being acting through me. I...I don't understand it myself, I would give you answers or blessings or whatever you want from me if I knew how. I'm not someone special or holy, I'm just a hunter, my name is Roknar. Now I understand a lot of you are scared, confused, it'll take time to figure out where you all came from, and if it's feasible to take you back there, or if the best we can do is offer provisions for your journeys. I will try my best to make sure everyone is able to return to their homes safely, but for now...

*Roknar looked around to the village's other hunters, who had rushed back when they heard the chaos. Like him, they'd left their kills and run for it, but those could be collected. All had anointed themselves with blood, so none were returning empty handed. If any had nearly the luck Roknar had today, there'd be plenty of food to go around for all these new mouths, even if it meant another hunt tomorrow. Roknar didn't like overhunting the area, but it had to be done.*

Roknar: We have enough food to spare for all of you, tonight, a feast! We celebrate this victory! All will be fed and sheltered for the night, and tomorrow arrangements can be made for your journeys!

*There was some applause from the captives, a few of the villagers didn't look entirely thrilled to be sharing, but nobody was prepared to argue. The other hunters nodded to Roknar and went back to get their kills, one had gotten a fat, juicy looking boar, another no less than four turkeys, the others an assortment of hares, wildfowl, and other small game. Another villager retrieved Roknar's stag, laying it at his feet so he had the honor of taking its antlers before the whole village, as the boar hunter did with her kill's tusks. In the culture of Roknar's tribe, there was greater honor in killing a beast that had a natural weapon and thus the ability to fight back, and the hunter had as much right to those trophies as a warrior did the arms of a vanquished foe.

Speaking of which, Thagg, still hugging Saurika with one arm, was rooting through the weapons the raiders had left behind, casually tossing swords, and a one handed axe that looked comically small in his hand, over his shoulder.*

Thagg: SWORD, SWORD, TINY, SWORD! HEY ROKNAR, THE HEADLESS ONE HAS SOME CHAINMAIL! TOO SMALL FOR US THOUGH, HOW ABOUT YOU KARKA?

*Thagg pulled the chain shirt off the corpse, holding it out to one to the huntress who'd brought the boar.*

Karka: <And clink around so every beast hears me coming from a hundred paces? What's the matter Thagg, afraid Roknar needs a handicap to beat me?>

*The orcs laughed uproariously, Roknar most of all. Thagg shrugged, a mail shirt was worth decent silver at market.*

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 15th, 2017, 5:03 am #6

Saurika shook Thagg's arm excitedly, "Thagg! Thagg! What <clink> mean? What <afraid> mean? What <handicap> mean? What <beat> mean? Saurika knows some big teeth talk! She knows <beast>! <Beast> means food! Lots of food for everyone! Good hunters here! Roknar good warm body! Saurika can help! Saurika is good with fire! Saurika can help cook! Saurika is good with knives! Saurika is good with fire! Did Saurika say she good with fire? Because Saurika is!"

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 15th, 2017, 5:10 pm #7

Thagg: <Clink? Clink> this!

*Thagg shook the chainmail so it would rattle.*

Thagg: <Afraid> is coward! <Handicap> is.....ROKNAR! HOW YOU SAY <HANDICAP>!?

Roknar: It's uhh...it means an unfair disadvantage. And <afraid> means scared, not coward, coward is a person who's <afraid> all the time. <Beating> someone is to best them at something, to win over them. It's...it's funnier in Orcish. And I bet you're good with fire little saurian. But will be a few hours before it's time to start a cooking fire, kills have to be skinned, gutted, butchered...but I promise you can mind the fire when it's time. ....Say, how'd you even run into those slavers? Don't usually see saurians this far west before midsummer.

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 16th, 2017, 2:25 am #8

"They see big fire and came to talk to us! Cousins and me! We found a meat herd! Had to burn them! We set up great big brush fire to catch all the meats! I helped set up dry brush for miles around! That my job! I sneaky in the grass and put fire food in place! Lots of cousins work hard to set up big fire! Cousins have to be very careful, though! Not many can change colors like me! And then we light fires in big circle! We killed all the meats! Had lots to eat after! Little teeth saw smoke! They came over and said they were nice! And they said they liked me and would take me to little teeth nesting-ground. But they lied!" Saurika explained, not really having the best sense of chronological story telling.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 16th, 2017, 2:31 am #9

*Roknar stroked his chin.*

Roknar: And do you remember about how far from here you found these "meats"?

Thagg: MEATS?!

Roknar: Hoggan.

*There wasn't a direct English translation of the Orcish swear word that came out of Thagg's mouth, and that was probably for the best cuz half the villagers blushed.*

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 16th, 2017, 2:37 am #10

"Yeah!" Saurika said, and then repeated the swear word like a child hearing her parents swear, but then she shook her head, "Not sure how far! I was in middle of cage for most warm! But maybe freed warm bodies that saw outside of cage know?" Saurika suggested.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 16th, 2017, 4:01 am #11

Roknar: I'll ask around after we get them settled. Could be more hoggan in the area. Speaking of getting everyone settled...

*Roknar walked over to the upended cart and looked around. As he expected, there was a strongbox. Valuables taken from the prisoners and their villages no doubt. Roknar hoisted his waraxe and smashed the lock before kicking the chest open. There were pouches of coins, some jewelry and beaded cloathing, a couple small silver statues depicting deities or spirits, a very old looking bronze handaxe with a jewel set in the hilt, and a matching pair of bone daggers. Roknar started handing things out to the prisoners who claimed them. The orc who the axe belonged to almost hugged it.*

Freed orc: <Thank you. You'd have every right to this as spoils of your victory, it's been in my family for centuries, you have no idea what it means to have it returned.>

Roknar: <Any man of honor would do the same. It's a fine and noble weapon, to claim it without besting its rightful wielder would bring great shame.>

*He patted the other orc on the shoulder, trying to give him back what he could of his dignity along with his property. Thagg leaned over to whisper to Saurika, pointing between the two of them. Well, whispering for him was most people's indoor voice.*

Thagg: He grateful to have axe back. Roknar say axe too honorable to claim without fight, but Thagg say Roknar too honorable, not axe.

*Roknar held up the two daggers next for their owner to claim.*

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 16th, 2017, 4:14 am #12

"Roknar is good warm body! He make everyone happy!" Saurika said, not having have met any valkyries, "Those are funny daggers! Made from rapid jaw? Hehehe, who makes daggers from bones? ... Saurika wants them sooo bad!"

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 16th, 2017, 4:24 am #13

Thagg: THAGG SEE SAURIANS WITH BONE KNIVES BEFORE! IT NOT THAT STRANGE!

*Roknar held the daggers up a little longer to see if anyone claimed them. Nobody came forward so he figured maybe they'd belonged to one of the bandits. He shrugged and handed them to Saurika.*

Roknar: All yours I guess.

Thagg: SAURIKA SAY SHE GOOD WITH KNIVES! NOW SAURIKA HAVE KNIVES!

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 17th, 2017, 3:44 am #15

Thagg: SAURIKA BEST, MOST DINOY DINO!

*Thagg cheered! Once Roknar had passed out everyone's property, his mate, Naara, let his children, two sons and a daughter, run over to glomp-hug their hero dad. Roknar embraced his children, laughing happily, picking them all up in a big group hug and whirling them about before putting them down. His oldest, Durik, a boy who looked about twelve, started swinging around a small...but real and sharp...axe, mimicking his father's moves from the battle.*

Durik: <And then you were all "HAAAA!!!" and his HEAD flew off!>

*Durik ran over to PICK UP the severed head!*

Durik: <Are you gonna mount this on our wall dad?!>

Roknar: O.O <No I am NOT going to...!!>

Naara: <You put that down this instant young man!>

*Durik dropped the head and then kicked it, Thagg bursting out laughing. Roknar stopping the rolling body part with his foot and shot "Uncle Thagg" a glare, which made him immediately shut up and grin sheepishly. Roknar dropped to one knee, putting a hand on Durik's shoulder and looking him in the eye.*

Roknar: <Durik! The man I killed was an evil man, and our victory SHOULD be celebrated, but even an evil man's death is not sport and killing should never be done lightly, not the killing of a beast, certainly not the killing of a man. Only when there is no other way, and with full appreciation for the seriousness of the act. A foe's blade is a worthy trophy, not his head, that is cruelty. Evil men are rarely evil because they were born that way, but because something made them become so.>

*Durik looked down bashfully, and nodded.*

Durik: <I understand, father.>

Roknar: <You're a good boy Durik, but you'll be a man soon, and a man may have to make decisions someday like I made today. I know you'll rise to that responsibility.>

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 19th, 2017, 1:39 am #16

Saurika didn't entirely understand the conversation between Durik and Roknar, but she got most of what they said, and she- well first she put both daggers in one hand- then she waved to Durik.

"You don't want warm bodies any way! They don't taste very good! Have deer instead! Or piggies! Piggies is best food!" clearly even though Saurika understood a lot of their conversation, she completely missed the point any way.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 20th, 2017, 1:29 am #17

Thagg: WE NO EAT HUMANS!! ORCS NOT HOGGAN!!

*Thagg made a "blegh!" face. Durik, on the other hand, wasn't really listening to much of anything Saurika said, just staring at the hot naked dino girl with a slack jaw and a nosebleed, his ability to form words having apparently left him.*

Roknar: Oh dear....

*Roknar quickly ran back to his hut and grabbed a thick bison fur cloak which he draped over Saurika.*

Roknar: There you go Saurika, all warm and cozy!

*He patted Durik on the head.*

Roknar: <You'll be old enough to worry about naked girls when you're old enough to keep your wits around one, boy.>

Durik: <Daaaaaaad!!>

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 3:38 am #19

Durik: Hero...faller!

Roknar: Father.

Durik: Hero father!

*Roknar gave his boy a pat on the head and shooed him off to play with his bother and sister. There was a lot to do to get the feast ready. Fires to build, vegetables to fetch and wash from the villagers gardens, animals to skin, gut, dress, butcher...in the case of the fowl pluck...arrangements to be made for where all the captives would sleep tonight. Chief Drokun, a wizened old orc, now hunched over and walking with a staff and the help of his son Brod (a rather fat orc the villagers called Brod the Broad), hobbled about as best he could assigning everyone to tasks. In reality, most of the villagers already knew what their roles were, and Brod pretty much had to remind Drokun what orders to give anyway, but Drokun had been chief for nearly 60 years, and no matter how much his ability diminished, the villagers would never even consider robbing him of the dignity of dying in his chieftain's wolf skull mantle, he'd more than earned that right.*

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 4:49 am #20

"Hero father!" Saurika would agree. She would then help butcher any animals they let her. She didn't actually need her raptor bone knives. She could just use her raptor like claws. And she was very good at skinning, gutting, butchering, and boning. She also would rush over to help make the fire. But they would probably need to keep her away after a while or she'd insist on making it bigger than it needed to be. And for anyone who didn't like well, well done meat, well, they would really need to keep her away, though she would whimper and whine that they were wasting the meat and not respecting the "great flying dinos" by not cooking it all the way through. She thought Drokun was cute, though, and if he let her, she'd come over to curl up on his lap.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 5:10 am #21

*This would be something of a point of contention. Orcs were hardy creatures with very strong digestive and immune systems, they had little to fear from most foodborne illnesses, and tended to prefer their meat fairly rare. Hell, in a pinch most orcs would eat raw meat with little complaint. They would let her cook the boar meat pretty thoroughly though, nobody wanted to risk trichinosis unnecessarily. They had no idea what she was talking about though, they figured she meant dragons, but they were more used to the greens that laired throughout the forest, who had acid breath, rather than the reds more often found in the east which the Saurians were more familiar with. The orcs trying not to turn their meat into char or burn their village down would be quite relieved when Saurika decided to go hang out with Drokun, who would let her climb into his lap as long as she was gentle...those old bones of his were getting creaky.*

Drokun: Ohh...hello little one.

*compared to the orcs, Saurika was quite small, Durik had probably been taller than her, so Drokun seemed to actually think she was a child. His eyes weren't that great anymore either.*

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 5:42 am #22

Saurika was very gentle. She knew how to go through tall grass without crinkling or crushing it to make it seem like only a breeze was passing through it, so she could be take good care of an old soul.

"Hello. You smell nice," Saurika said happily. Saurians were obsessed with cleanliness, but Saurika especially, since she could camouflage, and her body temperature was the same as the environment thanks to being cold blooded, the only thing that she imagined that would give her away would be smell. Luckily saurians didn't sweat, so were often just the scent of nature. But staying clean helped with that.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 7:34 pm #23

Drokun: Smell nice? Oh...yes, very nice smell, no better smell than a roasting pig, little one! I might not see or hear that well anymore, but as long as I can taste and smell pork, I'll be a happy old man! Feasts like this...reminds me of the great hunts of my younger days, the Great Tyrant, Half-Burn....

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 8:26 pm #25

*Drokun pulled his T-Rex tooth pendant out of his robe to show Saurika, the thing was the size of a banana!*

Drokun: From the Great Tyrant. Took all the hunters of four villages to bring him down. Half a dozen orcs didn't make it home, but the forest was saved! ...Didn't taste that good though....

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 8:28 pm #26

"Woah...! Tyrant rexes are scary! We love them! But we stay far far away from them! They maybe not taste good. But they think we taste good! You super good hunters! So amazing..." Saurika said in awe, gently running a finger over the tooth.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 8:51 pm #27

Drokun: Scary...yes, very scary. Scariest I've ever seen up close. Each hunter took one tooth. A tyrant's teeth are more dangerous even than they look, you know. Just one scratch can kill you, days later. Infection. Safe to touch now though, infection long gone after so many years.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2017, 9:33 pm #29

Drokun: Yes, terrible way to die. Oh! And Half-Burn! Half-Burn's trophy I wear in my skin!

*Drokun pulled his robe down a little so Saurika could see the huge scar, only a little of it was visible on his cheek, but it ran down the side of his neck, and across the left half of his chest.*

Drokun: Tusk. Half-Burn was the biggest razorboar I've ever seen. Whole right half of his body was covered in burns...that side of his face was just naked skull, like a nightmare from the Pit. They say he survived a dragon, but even years later, he always smelled just a little like pork being cooked.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2017, 1:26 am #31

Drokun: Half-Burn tasted delicious. Razorboar heal quickly...you need to hunt them with barbed spears, otherwise the wound healing will push the spear out and close up. There were more than a dozen of us hunting Half-Burn, he was that big. He cornered me in a rocky crag, I thought I was done for, so I lit the tip of my spear on fire to keep him at bay, I figured, Lok'tar Ogar, if this is how I die, let it be a great death! But Half-Burn...he felt the heat, and he remembered that pain, and when he flinched, I drove my spear into his skull and I levered it to jump up on the rock behind me so I could put the full weight of my body behind that spear until it went all the way through his brain! He got me good with his tusk trying to shake me off, but I got him better! And for that, they made me chief!

*Drokun patted the wolf skulls he wore on his cloak like pauldrons.*

Drokun: It's been a good life, little one...a good life...

*Drokun seemed to be starting to drift off, like he needed a nap after the excitement of telling his stories.*

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2017, 2:10 am #33

*Thagg gently picked up the old chieftain and carried him back to his hut. His bed was a simple straw mattress, but mounted on the wall over it were two huge tusks, one about five feet long but webbed with cracks (Saurika might well know that uncracked razor boar tusks were VERY valuable because they could be carved into extremely light, sharp, durable blades, but hard to come by since razorboars tended to crack them butting tusks in fights with one another), the other partly melted, looking like a half-spent candle, the result of dragonfire. Thagg put Drokun down in bed and pulled his bearskin blanket over him. The old man was already snoring.*

Brod: Father just need nap. Brod carve some boar for when he wake up. You make him happy little dino.

*Brod gave Saurika a pat on the head.*

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2017, 2:20 am #35

*Brod very carefully took the tusk down from its mounting and held it out so Saurika could feel it. Ivory didn't normally melt, but dragonfire often had strange effects on things, which would also explain why Half-Burn had stayed half burned, despite razorboars having a healing factor.*

Brod: Gentle. It's old...and sharp.

AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member
AmadisAnguiano
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2017, 2:22 am #36

Saurika just carefully reached out to timidly tap the tusk as if expecting it to still be hot, and start giggling excitedly when it didn't burn her, and was content just to having gotten to see it up close.

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2017, 2:26 am #37

*Brod put it back up on the mounting and left his father to get some rest, gently shooing the others out too.*

Thagg: SAURIKA CAN STAY WITH THAGG TONIGHT! THAGG KEEP NICE AND WARM! SAURIKA CAN SEE THAGG'S TROPHIES TOO!

Aurondarklord
Advanced Member
Aurondarklord
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2017, 2:46 am #39

*Thagg took Saurika to his hut. It was simple, a hammock with a bearskin, a circle of stones for making a fire in the middle, with a stew pot over it, surrounded by a few benches made from split logs, a few other furs hanging against the walls to keep draft out in the winter, racks for Thagg's clothes as well as his axes, several piles of stacked lumber, as Thagg was a woodcutter by trade, clay jugs for wine, a few dyed linen curtains, and, of course, Thagg's trophies. Most were the swords and shields of humans he'd defeated during the war, over his bed was a triceratops skull with a huge gash in the center roughly the size of a greataxe blade, and another, mounted in a place of pride, was a snapped staff, made of gnarled wood, below it was a basket that contained the shattered pieces of a crystal orb that looked like it had once been held in place by the "roots" at the staff's head.*