Your thoughts of Falco Lombardi?

Saphiria-Mercury O'Hedge
CDF Sergeant Major
CDF Sergeant Major

2:09 PM - Jul 27, 2012 #1

Yeah, since 'near' all characters of the Star Fox Team has such kind of topic why not making one of Falco?

Like in every 'what are you thinking about ABC' thread you can talk about your honest opinion about him, just please stay in topic and don't fight against each other just because the opinions are way different.

I won't make the first step and talking about the Ace pilot of the Team, I want to read the opinions of everyone else first :P

Sincerely:
Saphiria-Mercury O'Hedge

Julius Quasar
CDF General
CDF General

8:12 PM - Jul 27, 2012 #2

Falco Lombardi...

The excellent anti-hero, a serious badass, and ironically, he would be a better pilot than Fox, if he just wasn't so reckless and hot-headed. Falco is a great scout, hunter, and tracker. Though he is a great friend, his loyalty can wane, yet he is not a traitor. He is very independent, though at times also slightly self-centered and narcissistic. But through it all, I'm glad Falco is a part of Team Star Fox.

Saphiria-Mercury O'Hedge
CDF Sergeant Major
CDF Sergeant Major

3:51 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #3

Good points you brought up there, Julius :D

Yes, the reckless and hot-headed behavior might cause some trouble, especially if he would be the leader of the Star Fox Team. Oh god, scrap that idea.

Mostly I think that some people have a very wrong picture of him. All we know is that he was the leader of the "Hot Rodders" ("Free as a Bird" in the original Version, it also was changed officially by Nintendo with the 3Ds version of Star Fox64) and he broke it up because of Star Fox, but what else? I often read that he was quitting the Cornerian (flight) Academy, but is this true or false information that was brought of by fans of the Star Fox Franchise? I don't really know. He is also the only one of the main character cast who hasn't leaked anything about his parents, not like Fox having James as an awesome pilot father or Slippy with his genius scientist/inventor father Beltino.

For me as someone who likes Falco (not being a total freaky fangirl of course), I started to think more about his whole design and backstory.

As we know most characters that are acting like Falco Lombardi (Zero from Megaman X/Zero, Vaughn or any other character from the Harvest Moon franchise, Shadow from Sonic the Hedgehog and many more) have different but mostly made negative experiences in their life which caused them to act coldhearted, hot blooded and 'assy'. Some companies reveal the causing of that behavior, some don't, and Falco is one of the Anti-Heroes that never spoke about his past nor did the company leaked any information that could give the fans any hints. Some people might love, some people hate him for being the way he is, often leading to many misunderstandings in his personality in a whole.

Everybody now knows that Falco Lombardi was actually a Pheasant since the interview with Iwata. It was odd to hear it after many years passed away since the release of the original Star Fox game back in 1993, and they changed his race from a Pheasant to a Falcon without changing anything on his appearance. My thoughts of Falco got twisted up by that point that makes me think of him as kind of a Hybrid. He acts like a Falcon since they ARE birds of Prey (and he is calling his enemies 'prey'), but he still has Pheasant traits in his face, even if it's actually just the red feather patches around his eyes and the head design.

I'm not sure if it's just the lag of creativity by that point or if Nintendo actually wanted to give us a 'hint', and Falco was the only "technicolor wildlife" character (besides of Katt and the blue cat boy who doesn't count as main characters but as important sub-characters, especially in Falco's past) before Krystal came into the franchise (though the arctic foxes have very light blue fur). It may be the old cliché that his parents never cared about him and was the outsider because of his unusual appearence or the fact he may be a Hybrid. Katt, the nameless cat boy, Bowzor and Mousor were the only one's who actually respected him which may lead him to quit the Academy or even Highschool (or to skip school sometimes) and starting a street gang. There can be many different reasons of why Falco is the way he is, he can even be very responsible and actually hard working for a big career so he is the more serious and focusing character type. No one can actually tell.

The other interesting fact is the relationship between him and Katt. Many fans like or dislike this couple. I'm neither a lover or hater, but I see those two as 'brother and sister'. Some people say the 'Farewell, beloved Falco' Manga was non-canon, but since it was officially developed under Nintendo's eyes it's CANON (Attention to those who don't really know differences between MANGA and DOUJINSHI: Manga is ALWAYS official, DOUJINSHIs are ALWAYS fan created stuff), and it focuses on the story why Falco left the Team between Star Fox64 and Star Fox Adventures but also on the relationship of him, Katt and the rest of his old gang. The most famous part amongst the Falco x Katt fans is the point of where they were talking about boyfriend/girlfriend, and the Manga was, at least at this point, totally screwed.

In Japanese terms there doesn't exist "he" or "she", it is always a neutral term that can be used for both male and female, same goes with "watashi wa" (I am), something that can lead to misunderstandings very quickly.

- In the fan Scanlation of the Manga Katt asked Falco if he has found a girlfriend yet, where he said he never had and never will. I don't want to say it's badly translated, but there might be a small 'fan influence' in the translation which makes it hard to tell if it's a good or bad Scanlation.

- In the original Japanese version though Katt is asking if he has a 'lover', where he said that "if he falls in love (or not), it depends on the person he falls in love with", giving us a slight more sensitive and natural response to this question. And remember, there is no 'he' or 'she' in japanese, so 'lover' can be both female OR male. It's a neutral term. So in fact it is still not really clear if he's Straight, Gay or even Asexual, but he seems to be okay with either a male or a female life partner (Go away with the entire FOX BELONGS TO FALCO and KATT AND FALCO ARE MEANT FOR EACH OTHER!!!!! stuff. Give it a break for once. WE DON'T WANT COUPLE WAR HERE).

On the other hand though Falco seems still to be single in the Endings of Command, so it might be that he never finds the 'real partner' or is actually just a platonic relationship person, means that he isn't romantic involved with someone but still cares about those who he respects and 'loves' and shares a platonic relationship as long life partners. Coming to this point it seems like that Katt is nothing more than just a little sister figure in his life, and that he was tired of 'saving her ass everytime' and that she needs to 'grow up by herself', probably one of the other reasons why he broke up the gang, making Katt getting strong and a responsible adult by her own with "force". He knows that Katt loves him, but he didn't feel the same way as her, that's probably the reason why he is acting natural as we know him towards her, showing her every time that he doesn't have romantical feelings for her at all, but still cares about her (as seen at the end of Zoness).

Mostly it seems like that he does have a 'heart of gold' but doesn't want to show any weakness that may lead him to get soft and being an easy target for any kind of threat, but he made a good development between Star Fox64 to Star Fox Assault, showing that he isn't perfect though being a high ranked pilot and that he is a bit more cooperative and calm (but easy to provoke).

Julius Quasar
CDF General
CDF General

4:31 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #4

Wow, I didn't know Falco was a pheasant. Cool! Falco is one of my favorite anti-heroes, along with Wolverine...

Deleted User
Deleted User

4:37 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #5

Holy jesus. Someone did their research XD

I always liked Falco's character. He's brash and temperamental, but he is soft-natured as well.

Julius Quasar
CDF General
CDF General

4:50 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #6

I love his East coast New York/Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) tough guy voice/accent in Assault, his voice in Adventures sounded like some European backpacker trying to hide his accent, or he sounded like those two European characters on "Family Guy" who are "trying to assimilate" (I mean no offense to any Europeans, here or otherwise).

Saphiria-Mercury O'Hedge
CDF Sergeant Major
CDF Sergeant Major

5:02 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #7

@Julius:
Falco was meant to be a pheasant back in the character concept development, but they changed his race to a falcon later on. The name "Falco" is also from a japanese child story where the main character was a pheasant called Falco. Even Fox's name was inspired by a japanese baseball team. It was also interesting that Slippy was inspired by some joke works by some Nintendo employees. Someone always wrote "ribbit, ribbit" on his papers so they created a frog character. I don't really remember the part with Peppy, but I believe this was also a child's story.

Oh yes, his Brookyn accent in Assault and SSBB was very fitting. Also I believe the thing with the "Free as a Bird" gang was inspired by New York or so, any place that is full of gangs. And no, I don't feel offended at all, I felt the same way with Falco's voice back in Adventure xD

@RedFox8:
Yooou could say that I 'researched' xD I love to think about complicated characters and trying to get behind the past of them, though it will be fan related for eternity.

Kursed
CDF Major General
CDF Major General

7:55 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #8

You can have your beauty sleep, Fox, and maybe -- just maybe -- some cute girl might find you later. IF she sees what she likes," Falco snickered back “IN YOUR DREAMS FOX!”

I don't particulary like falco but at least unlike slippy he's not completely useless on the field. defintly anti-hero type wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in star wolf since he is a ex-gang member..... Not someone i like but at least he's a good pilot.

I'm slightly offended by him but not all the time. he could use a stick up his pooper once in awhile though since he's a little full of himself.

Julius Quasar
CDF General
CDF General

9:15 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #9

Saphiria-Mercury O'Hedge wrote:@Julius:
Falco was meant to be a pheasant back in the character concept development, but they changed his race to a falcon later on. The name "Falco" is also from a japanese child story where the main character was a pheasant called Falco. Even Fox's name was inspired by a japanese baseball team. It was also interesting that Slippy was inspired by some joke works by some Nintendo employees. Someone always wrote "ribbit, ribbit" on his papers so they created a frog character. I don't really remember the part with Peppy, but I believe this was also a child's story.

Oh yes, his Brookyn accent in Assault and SSBB was very fitting. Also I believe the thing with the "Free as a Bird" gang was inspired by New York or so, any place that is full of gangs. And no, I don't feel offended at all, I felt the same way with Falco's voice back in Adventure xD
Oh, I see...wow, thanks for the info on that!

Oh cool, I thought it might be a Brooklyn accent. Oh cool, "Free as a bird gang" was real? I never knew that! Cool! Glad you weren't offended, and I'm also glad you felt the same way about how Falco sounded in Adventures, how about that? xD

If there was swearing in any Star Fox, Falco would cuss up a storm.

Saphiria-Mercury O'Hedge
CDF Sergeant Major
CDF Sergeant Major

9:37 PM - Aug 19, 2012 #10

@Kursed:
Yeah, you mean his selfish behavior right? This is actually something that was a bit... new since Assault to be honest. I just knew that he never shuts his beak, but being all 'selffocused' was slightly a kick in the 'balls' for me.
It's just for sure that he never would join Star Wolf since he has a big rivalry with Leon Powalski, that would only cause trouble.

@Julius:
No no no, there doesn't exist a real gang called 'Free as a Bird', it is just the official and real name of Falco's ex-gang since they started Star Fox, and I honestly don't know why they called it 'Hot Rodders' in other countries anyway just to put 'Free as a Bird' up in the Star Fox64 3Ds version in EVERY country. Total nonsense. I only know the 'Hell's Angels' but.... I'll say nothing because everybody should know this gang. When I said it was 'inspired by New York', I actually meaned that especially in New York are many gangs lurking around. Since Falco has Brooklyn accent and was the (ex)leader of a gang I'm sure Nintendo thought of New York or any other place in America that has to deal with street/motorbike gangs. Sorry if I confused you :lol:

I felt like "wtf Falco, stop drinking and smoking!". The Adventures voice wasn't the best voice they gave him, but still I do like Ben Cullum as music composer. He created the Star Fox Adventures soundtrack and sound effects together with David Wise afterall. Offtopic info: Ben Cullum is the older brother of Jamie Cullum, if someone knows this wonderful music artist.