Bethesda's suing the creators of... Minecraft?

OneWingedAngel92302
CDF Group Major
CDF Group Major

4:12 AM - Aug 06, 2011 #1

wrote:Bethesda are suing us, here’s the full story!

A lot of people want more details about what is going on, so here is everything I know:

First of all, I love Bethesda. I assume this nonsense is partly just their lawyers being lawyers, and a result of trademark law being the way it is.

About half a year ago, our lawyers recommended us to register “Minecraft” as a trademark, so we did. I had voted against it initially, but we did it anyway. Better safe than sorry, and all that. At the same time, we also applied for “Scrolls”, the new game we’re working on. We knew of no similarly named games, and we had even googled it to make sure. I’m not even sure if you CAN trademark individual words, like “Scrolls”, but we sent in the application anyway.

(Disclosure: We’ve enforced the trademark for Minecraft once, when there was a minecraft clone on iOS, using our name. People were emailing me saying our iOS version was buggy and bad, so we asked them to change the name of their game, and they did.)

A while later, out of the blue, we got contacted by Bethesda’s lawyers. They wanted to know more about the “Scrolls” trademark we were applying for, and claimed it conflicted with their existing trademark “The Elder Scrolls”. I agree that the word “Scrolls” is part of that trademark, but as a gamer, I have never ever considered that series of (very good) role playing games to be about scrolls in any way, nor was that ever the focal point of neither their marketing nor the public image.
The implication that you could own the right to all individual words within a trademark is also a bit scary. We looked things up and realized they didn’t have much of a case, but we still took it seriously. Nothing about Scrolls is meant to in any way derive from or allude to their games. We suggested a compromise where we’d agree to never put any words in front of “Scrolls”, and instead call sequels and other things something along the lines of “Scrolls - The Banana Expansion”. I’m not sure if they ever got back to us with a reply to th

I'll say again that I really don't care much for minecraft (or have it for that matter), But I thought this might be topic worthy since it seems a couple of people here have an interest in it.

Here's the full article - http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8519901309 ... full-story

Fana McCloud
CDF Ensign
CDF Ensign

4:19 AM - Aug 06, 2011 #2

*Facepalms* Lawyers are the scum of the earth, I swear. He should talk to someone high up in the creative department at Bethesda who has clout and common sense who can get this crap stopped, because that's just freakin ridiculous.

OneWingedAngel92302
CDF Group Major
CDF Group Major

4:23 AM - Aug 06, 2011 #3

Fana McCloud wrote:*Facepalms* Lawyers are the scum of the earth, I swear. He should talk to someone high up in the creative department at Bethesda who has clout and common sense who can get this crap stopped, because that's just freakin ridiculous.
Agreed. Lawyers just seem to swat at something without even thinking.... =l

Julius Quasar
CDF General
CDF General

5:58 AM - Aug 06, 2011 #4

Fana McCloud wrote:*Facepalms* Lawyers are the scum of the earth, I swear.
My dad's a lawyer...and he would agree with that statement! xD

Evilwaffles
CDF First Lieutenant
CDF First Lieutenant

1:10 PM - Aug 06, 2011 #5

I lol'd... hard

Scrolls
An upcoming scribble game
(c)2011 Evilwaffles

Bring on my lawsuit Bethesda, you don't own the word.

Arashikage
CDF Senior Captain
CDF Senior Captain

4:08 PM - Aug 07, 2011 #6

What do you call 8,000 of lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start

Evilwaffles
CDF First Lieutenant
CDF First Lieutenant

5:36 PM - Aug 17, 2011 #7

Kursed
CDF Major General
CDF Major General

8:57 PM - Aug 17, 2011 #8

Lawyers and Politicians... worse than what you find in your city sewers even the poo gas.

BallisticWaffles
CDF First Lieutenant
CDF First Lieutenant

9:24 PM - Aug 17, 2011 #9

As much as would also like to say my inevitable Scum of the earth Lawyer joke, lets not forget they are also needed to keep the cogs of government turning. EVen if they asexually reproduce under rocks...

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
CDF Second Lieutenant
CDF Second Lieutenant

3:53 AM - Aug 20, 2011 #10

lol's not all lawyers are bad but sueing just because there using the world "scrolls" is complete bs.