King K. Rool
Isaac or Matthew
Samus Aran/Zero Suit Samus
Mr. Game & Watch
17+ characters from Brawl, which is reasonable enough all-considering Sakurai has already said he wanted to boost the roster size "considerably"
35 > 52 is "considerable"
Any questions anyone has may be brought up right hur, but for now, here's some of the basics:
- Sakurai just - can't - get Geno in; Square-Enix is a stingy company in their PR department, but the PR rep suggests perhaps contacting the Square or Enix development department directly for something along the lines of a "better Square-Enix company representative", and they settle on Black Mage, the most-requested S-E character behind... Chocobo, who becomes an assist trophy. :}
- Mii's are an obvious inclusion by now, I think. WuHu Island would be their ostensible home stage. d:
- Mega Man is being treated like sh333t, so God forbid Capcom do something that could boost his popularity again. With Capcom's focus on fighting game orgies as of late, Ryu, their clear fighting mascot, is included over the Blue Bomber.
- Unless Kojima magically says "I don't want him in", Snake is so returning alongside Sonic, especially since Snake was such a unique character.
- Lip for the Retro WTF character, ftw.
- Nintendo focuses mainly on Mario, obviously, so so does the roster size of the big 3, with the "big" Super Mario series trumping Zelda by 1 character and Pokemon by 2, though Pokemon technically has the upper-hand on both with Pokemon Trainer's 3 Pokemon, giving it an up on Mario by 1. This kinda-sorta reflects the sales of the Big 3 in the order of sales: Pokemon, Mario, Zelda. Always and forever Nintendo's big million sellers.
- F-Zero just doesn't deserve another rep, and chances are if it did get a rep by now, it'd be someone like Deathborn or Black Shadow. MEH. Just work on buffing Falcon.
- Paper, Bowser Jr., and Toad sound like likely inclusions, yes? Well, they're all in. Bang. And I highly, HIGHLY doubt Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario will be clones of Bowser or Mario. Unlike with Link and Young Link/Toon Link, that wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to make two ENTIRELY unique characters, well, un-unique. Why not just give Diddy DK's moveset if we're thinking Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario would be clones?
- King K. Rool over Dixie or Funky. SRSLY.
- Wario, at this point, just doesn't need a new rep. He could have one, but he doesn't NEED one, and I doubt Sakurai will throw one in right after the Wario series' Smash debut, either.
- Yoshi's never getting jacksh3333333t aside from himself and a couple of stages (and a Poochy AT or cameo of some sort if Heaven does indeed exist). Kamek or HUGE AZZ BABY BOWSER have potential boss/stage hazard material.
- As much as I'd love a rep for The Last Story, it's not gonna happen. Nor will Pandora's Tower or Xenoblade get a rep, considering neither of these games have sold like wildfire in the regions they've been released in thus far, hence the whole Operation Rainfall vs. Nintendo thing right now. The company just doesn't want to lose money, even if they could afford it, and sales, as far as modern games or series go, do count for characters in Smash, hence why I gave the Big 3 the biggest roster sizes, and hence why they've always had the biggest roster sizes in the game.
- Isaac and Matthew are generally interchangeable. Whichever doesn't make it as playable can take over that stupid "Move!" assist.
- FE 12 and 13 are both remakes of the Archanea games. Caeda kills two birds with one stone by being both a dayum important female rep and a lance-user. She's now my most-wanted new FE character.
- If not Caeda, then the new FE rep, if ANYONE, considering Ike and Marth, arguably the series' two biggest, are already involved, will be from FE1 or FE3, because the Archanea arc is by FAR the most popular FE saga in Japan, spawning two DS remakes now, and I'd be banking it on Camus, who can sort-of be taken as an "original" Black Knight, in that he fights Marth and company, though does so with honor, and has been in five games now if you count the two remakes, making him the one in-story character (thus excluding Anna) to appear more than twice in any given game. He is also a lance user, thus give him some credibility... and hey, he isn't blue-haired, either! ;D
- Roy is gone and, frankly, I dunno if he's ever coming back. I'm well aware of the possibility, and it could very well happen this time around and I'd welcome him with open arms, but I'm also all for new possibilities with Fire Emblem characters. While important to the Elibe saga... Well, I just find it improbable to expect anyone from the GBA games, or the Sigurd saga by now. Why? Essentially what I said just above and below this particular hyphen-started subject matter.
- To say FE NEEDS to rep its GBA game or any currently un-repped saga in the form of a playable character is ridiculous. Just look at playable Pokemon in Smash, five of them are from Gen 1.
- Masked Man is the clear choice now for a unique Mother rep. Someone like Flint or Duster, unfortunately I don't see making it in. Porky is possible, though in my opinion unlikely; he's much more effective in his Safe Capsule as a boss, even in SSB4. Kumatora is the only other one possible when compared to Masked Man, though Masked Man would just be more unique a rep than Kumatora now, since the PSI users in SSB have pretty similar, albeit Luigi-fied movesets. I LOVE Kumatora's character, but she would be unexciting in retrospect as a character in Smash. The perfect inclusion? Pig Mask Man or New Age Retro Hippie. (; But that isn't happening SOOOO
- Sakurai's already said he doesn't think an Animal Crossing character would work as a playable in Smash, so that's a no-go, despite anyone's wanting Nook or anyone from that series in.
- I was REALLY tempted to remove someone for Professor Layton but just couldn't do it in the end. As much as I want him, he'll likely end up as an Assist Trophy instead. I would LOVE to be proven wrong here and have him in as playable, though! Since this is based mainly off of the Wii U version... Maybe this can happen in the 3DS version... Even then, though. I have no idea what they'd do for him... but then again, they came up with moves for Fox and Captain Falcon, right?
- Give Ganondorf his Phantom Ganon-esque magic blast move from OoT as his standard and give him his sword to FINALLY make a deservedly unique character... unique.
- Make Toon Link de-cloned. I don't care if it makes sense to keep him a clone, but seriously, MAKE HIM ORIGINAL. He has all the items there that I only in HIS games! Do something, SORA!
- Toad better not suck.
- I'm under firm belief that everyone who's an AT, with the exception of Tingle, who's important enough and has lots of merit as a unique, goofy character despite your personal feelings towards him, and MAYBE Isaac if they don't shaft him for Matthew, will remain assists. This means no Lyn or Saki, no Goroh and no Barbara.
- Takamaru takes the spot of "lolsamurai" from Lyn and Goroh, and will arguably be the most traditional samurai out of the lot of them. I'm not saying this makes him better, but it may make him more unique amongst the Smash cast.