What song(s) are you listening to?

It may suprise you to hear that there are artists who AREN'T called McAloon. This is the place to discuss them.

What song(s) are you listening to?

DublinJordan
Advanced Member
DublinJordan
Advanced Member

24 Oct 2006, 08:57 #1

Well given we have been brought together by the love of music why not let people know what you have been listening to??? It can be just one song or more than one.

At the moment I am listening to:

KC and the Sunshine Band - Boogie Shoes

Joe Bataan - The Bottle ( A disco version of the Gil-Scott Heron track)

Roy ayers - Running Away

So what are you guys/gals listening to?

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

24 Oct 2006, 10:09 #2

Right now? Well I just got back to my room and had a sudden urge to listen to 'The Boys Are Back In Town.'

Rollmo
Advanced Member
Rollmo
Advanced Member

02 Nov 2006, 17:34 #3

Jamie...had a sudden urge to listen to 'The Boys Are Back In Town.'
May I remind all, just an FYI: the urge mentioned above should always be heeded.

Also, the short list one should never resist, as well:

'The Sultans Of Swing' -Dire Straits
'Under Pressure' - Bowie/Queen
'Stone In Love' - Journey
'Dirty Deeds' - AC/DC
and
'Electric Guitars'
[color= grey]SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST[/color]

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

02 Nov 2006, 18:13 #4

Jamie @ Oct 24 2006, 10:09 AM wrote: Right now?  Well I just got back to my room and had a sudden urge to listen to 'The Boys Are Back In Town.'
Phil Lynott R.I.P. My first hero - and still one. With that in mind, it's time to stick Lizzy's Live and Dangerous on.
I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

DublinJordan
Advanced Member
DublinJordan
Advanced Member

03 Nov 2006, 11:51 #5

I went to the Same School as Mr Lynott in Crumlin Dublin. He is an idol over here and no mistake, mind you always preferred his solo material to anything recorded by Lizzy.

Now that I've opened up a Can of worms its time to listen to "Left to My Own Devices" by the Pet Shop Boys :P

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

03 Nov 2006, 23:29 #6

DublinJordan @ Nov 3 2006, 11:51 AM wrote: Its time to listen to "Left to My Own Devices" by the Pet Shop Boys :P
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Tennant at an Angelo Badalamenti concert about 15 years ago. Then, as now, was as good a time as any to listen to Left To My Own Devices.
I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

03 Nov 2006, 23:33 #7

DublinJordan @ Nov 3 2006, 11:51 AM wrote: I always preferred [Lynott's] solo material to anything recorded by Lizzy.
Gotta say, I find that a fairly extraordinary claim, but hey, whaddyagonnado?

DublinJordan
Advanced Member
DublinJordan
Advanced Member

04 Nov 2006, 19:36 #8

Jim_Williams @ Nov 3 2006, 11:33 PM wrote:
DublinJordan @ Nov 3 2006, 11:51 AM wrote: I always preferred [Lynott's] solo material to anything recorded by Lizzy.
You see my two favourite Songs by Lynott are Sarah and Old Town both of which were recorded by himself. :lol:

Still like the Lizzy stuff but I hate anything by Gary Moore :angry:

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

05 Nov 2006, 12:06 #9

DublinJordan @ Nov 4 2006, 07:36 PM wrote: You see my two favourite Songs by Lynott are Sarah and Old Town both of which were recorded by himself.  :lol:

Still like the Lizzy stuff but I hate anything by Gary Moore  :angry:
Ah, but Sarah is on Lizzy's Black Rose album, and features you know who on guitar. But yeh, Moore's work descended into the worst kind of cod-heavy metal posturing (the kind of thing that also tainted Lizzy's later work) and spiritless takes on the blooooz. But before his delusions of rock god status took hold his playing - not least on the aformentioned Sarah - could be sublime. As for Lizzy, I reckon albums like Nightlife and Johnny The Fox have never received the respect due to them, standing up well as they do against other 'thinking person's rock music' like Free, Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers and Little Feat.

Dan
Advanced Member
Dan
Advanced Member

06 Nov 2006, 15:43 #10

DublinJordan @ Nov 4 2006, 07:36 PM wrote:
Jim_Williams @ Nov 3 2006, 11:33 PM wrote:
You see my two favourite Songs by Lynott are Sarah and Old Town both of which were recorded by himself. :lol:

But surely The Corrs produced the definitive version of 'Old Town'....

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

06 Nov 2006, 18:43 #11

Dan @ Nov 6 2006, 03:43 PM wrote: But surely The Corrs produced the definitive version of 'Old Town'....
Ouch!

DublinJordan
Advanced Member
DublinJordan
Advanced Member

06 Nov 2006, 19:52 #12

Dan @ Nov 6 2006, 03:43 PM wrote:
DublinJordan @ Nov 4 2006, 07:36 PM wrote:
Jim_Williams @ Nov 3 2006, 11:33 PM wrote: Gotta say, I find that a fairly extraordinary claim, but hey, whaddyagonnado?

You sir have gone too far!!!! :lol:

Dan
Advanced Member
Dan
Advanced Member

06 Nov 2006, 20:55 #13

DublinJordan @ Nov 6 2006, 07:52 PM wrote:
Dan @ Nov 6 2006, 03:43 PM wrote:
DublinJordan @ Nov 4 2006, 07:36 PM wrote: You see my two favourite Songs by Lynott are Sarah and Old Town both of which were recorded by himself. :lol:

You sir have gone too far!!!! :lol:
Yeah but I thouht that this forumn needed a bit of shaking up !
Can anyone think of a worse cover ?

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

06 Nov 2006, 22:17 #14

Dan @ Nov 6 2006, 08:55 PM wrote: Can anyone think of a worse cover ?
Ah, there's so many. How about M People's painful take on Itchycoo Park for starters?

Dan
Advanced Member
Dan
Advanced Member

07 Nov 2006, 08:57 #15

Anything by M People is inherently appalling, however that does represent a new nadir. How about the cover of 'Boys of summer' by DJ Sammy; not just a dreadful travesty of a great song but surely getting an eighteen year old girl to sing a song that is so clearly about a man approaching middle age looking back on his life just underlines the fact that you have no feel or understanding for the material that you are murdering.