Wanted 2001 Paddy interview

This is why we're here, right?

Wanted 2001 Paddy interview

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Dec 30 2009, 04:46 PM #1

Does anyone here have an account with HighBeam Research? There's an article available there from The Mirror in 2001 - "Something To Sprout About" by Jonathan Wingate:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-76504408.html

Any help would be appreciated!
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

Dec 30 2009, 05:59 PM #2

There's a 7 day free trial, why not use that?

Stewart
Advanced Member
Stewart
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 12:02 AM #3

Rivermoving - did you ever get a copy of this article?

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 07:26 AM #4

No, I didn't. I did some research on this company Highbeam, and it seems it's impossible to use the 7 day free trial without having to pay several months' worth of fees. It's a trick to lure customers. So I bailed out.
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 08:10 AM #5

You might find that contacting the Mirror directly might help. Newspapers often have an archivist and can sometimes be induced to make copies of articles. Certainly worth a try, though it's probably not an in depth article.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 10:57 AM #6

It's certainly worth a try, although my guess is that they will refer to Highbeam.

An e-mail has been sent.
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 11:08 AM #7

Just looked at whether or not to persuade my company to subscribe to Highbeam (for business reports ;) ) but no-one in their right mind would deal with them.

I'd pay for a month probably if they had a reasonable fee/cancellation structure, that's what's so stupid about them.

Stewart
Advanced Member
Stewart
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 11:38 AM #8

The reason I asked is that I've just been able to get hold of a copy of the text. I'll post it here in the next day or so.

Stewart
Advanced Member
Stewart
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 02:04 PM #9

Something to Sprout about.
By JONATHAN WINGATE.
13 July 2001
Mirror , Page: 18© 2001 Mirror Group Ltd

Paddy McAloon is still working despite his failing eyesight.

He could have been a true King Of Rock 'N' Roll but, in the end, Prefab Sprout's Paddy McAloon just wrote the song and settled for staying out of the spotlight. One of the most respected songwriters of his generation, McAloon has a string of breathtakingly beautiful albums behind him, although ironically these days he's probably best-known as the man who wrote the theme tune to Where The Heart Is.

Prefab Sprout's latest album, The Gunman And Other Stories, is their first release since Andromeda Heights four years ago, so you could easily be forgiven for thinking that Paddy hasn't exactly been over-doing it. So what has he been up to all this time? "

Well, I got married, had two little girls, and then I started to lose my sight," he says almost casually.

"It's like a boxer's injury. I don't mean to make excuses for not having done as much work, because there was also a long gap between the previous two records. But every time I got around to writing something, I'd try and arrange it on the computer. Then I had an eye operation, and I simply couldn't focus any more.

"I could have completely panicked, but I didn't. You just cope. So although I've been writing quite a bit, real life came along and gave me a good kicking."

Although he is still suffering the after-effects of his last operation a few weeks ago, Paddy remains remarkably calm.

"It didn't even depress me greatly," he continues. "My wife always goes on about how many books I buy. It's almost like a fairytale where the guy whose one desire in life is to read everything won't be able to read. I can sort of see the dark humour of it. You've lost that, but maybe it means you can focus more on the actual music."

While Prefab Sprout have never been considered "cool", the critical acclaim heaped upon McAloon has kept the band afloat and helped them survive the lengthy gaps between albums. These days, he has attracted a new set of fans thanks to his work with Jimmy Nail on the TV series Crocodile Shoes, for which Paddy wrote most of the music.

"Jimmy interested me from the point of view of my vanity," he says. "He's a huge fan. He told me, 'The protagonist of the series is a Geordie who goes to Nashville. These songs must be believable'. So I sat down over a three-week period and wrote the songs to order. I gave myself room to manoeuvre in using corny cowboy images that a Nashville songwriter would never go near. But I thought, I'm supposed to be an English songwriter who's trying to work in America, so as long as you can make it romantic, it kind of works."

Was he worried that working with Nail would damage Prefab Sprout's image?

"No, I'm 'cred' free," he says with a grin. "I think you've got to not care. My take on it is this. For a while, John Travolta isn't 'cool', because it's a long time since Saturday Night Fever. Then he does Pulp Fiction and suddenly he's hip again. It's the same with singers." So when Paddy was asked to write the theme to ITV's Where The Heart Is, it didn't take him long to make up his mind.

"I wanted to do it as soon as I heard that Sarah Lancashire was involved, because it was the first thing she did after Coronation Street. The show has a feeling of the ultimate small town. I don't know what the audience makes of Prefab Sprout, but I'm pretty broad in how my music can be applied. You know the old cliche of hearing someone whistle one of your songs? I love that idea."

At 44, he still hasn't lost his passion for songwriting and doesn't look like slowing down. He's even considered following the Pet Shop Boys by writing a musical.

"I've often wanted to do that, but then I realised there are too many low-key moments," he explains. "The best pop music is full of intense moments, but there's a lot of waffle with a musical. I'm sure they might even realise that in time.

"The Pet Shop Boys are very good at doing those intense little things that move people, and that's probably what I'm good at, too."

The new Prefab Sprout album, The Gunman And Other Stories, is out now.

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 02:10 PM #10

Stellar! Thanks Stewart!!
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 07:57 PM #11

Nice one, Stewart. In the meantime, some of you may recall my post on Rock's Back Pages, and the 'subscription factor' that also entailed:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/sproutnet/in ... ry11415411

Jamie collated the lot, but the file has expired. Jamie?! I missed it!

http://z6.invisionfree.com/sproutnet/in ... ry11452295
I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 09:38 PM #12

There are a few accessible magazine articles via google books (and a few inaccessible ones)

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Feb 18 2010, 10:17 PM #13

Stewart @ Feb 18 2010, 11:38 AM wrote: The reason I asked is that I've just been able to get hold of a copy of the text. I'll post it here in the next day or so.
Stewart, you're a gentleman and a scholar! :D
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

Feb 19 2010, 09:51 PM #14

did we know about this?

http://www.podcast.de/episode/1373827/S ... ab_Sprout/

EDIT - sorry, appears to be an apology that the podcast has gone :(

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Feb 19 2010, 10:39 PM #15

The podcast was based around snippets of the recorded interview made by Hanspeter Kuenzler. The entire interview is available here, in printed form:

http://www.hanspeterkuenzler.com/Interv ... Aloon.html
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last