There's a guy on ebay...

This is why we're here, right?

There's a guy on ebay...

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

18 Sep 2011, 15:29 #1

Interesting, but the item itself isn't particularly exciting (it looks like an advance listening copy of the Legacy Edition remaster on CD-R).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREFAB-SPROUT ... 519b02699d

Some guy has apparently been allowed to clear out a storeroom at the Sony archive and has a truckload of material.

Only one PS item so far, and looking at the rest for other groups (lot of Beyonce) it's not anything exciting, mostly copies of promos with the odd CD-R of preliminary mixes. I think we can be sure from John's experience that anything remotely interesting that turns up on ebay will be stamped on by Sony, but needless to say, I'm on it ;)

Thats Plenty
Advanced Member
Thats Plenty
Advanced Member

18 Sep 2011, 16:50 #2

Allowed to clear out a storeroom my arse !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... heist.html
Oh my God someone tell her

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

18 Sep 2011, 16:58 #3

To be fair, the distribution centre would be release CDs rather than demo's and so on. It'd take a special kind of stupid to be selling the gear on Ebay too, but you never know.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

18 Sep 2011, 18:33 #4

Seriously, how difficult is it to fake such a thing these days? I could pop in a DVDR in my computer, burn a one-track "rare demo" and sell it on eBay in no time. I think one has to be very careful before one commits to buy these things.
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

loaffish
Advanced Member
loaffish
Advanced Member

19 Sep 2011, 11:36 #5

Rivermoving @ Sep 18 2011, 07:33 PM wrote: Seriously, how difficult is it to fake such a thing these days? I could pop in a DVDR in my computer, burn a one-track "rare demo" and sell it on eBay in no time. I think one has to be very careful before one commits to buy these things.
I`ll buy it Rm. !
if you`ve no new clothes to wear then simply wash and comb your hair.

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

19 Sep 2011, 11:51 #6

I saw it first Loaffish ;)

There's enough in the "seller's other items" to make this guy's story plausible anyway, but this is not high grade stuff in the way the material JB was talking about a few weeks ago is. I asked him yesterday and he says it's the wrong part of the Sony store to hold original recordings.

I don't think SMq was remixed - just remastered - which means the chances are this is just a listening copy of that. I'll be bidding certainly on the CD-R and if I get it it'll be preserved for the empire and distributed in the usual way. Considering using dropbox now as an alternative to megaupload or torrents by the way.

What's more interesting looking across the other material this guy is offering is that there's a range of rough mixes and things like interviews on CD for other artists. So I guess we'll see what turns up. I'm after VHS cassettes of some of the promo videos for example, and I'd be quite happy with that.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

19 Sep 2011, 16:37 #7

loaffish @ Sep 19 2011, 11:36 AM wrote:
Rivermoving @ Sep 18 2011, 07:33 PM wrote: Seriously, how difficult is it to fake such a thing these days? I could pop in a DVDR in my computer, burn a one-track "rare demo" and sell it on eBay in no time. I think one has to be very careful before one commits to buy these things.
I`ll buy it Rm. !
You wouldn't want to buy my stuff! ;)
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

25 Sep 2011, 14:03 #8

Mine for 2 quid, and I guess we'll see if anything else turns up in due course. There's a lot of editors material at present by the way.

If it turns out to be anything significant I will of course put it up somewhere.

Johnny Rollmo!
Advanced Member
Johnny Rollmo!
Advanced Member

25 Sep 2011, 15:15 #9

bisonrav @ Sep 19 2011, 11:51 AM wrote: I saw it first Loaffish ;)

There's enough in the "seller's other items" to make this guy's story plausible anyway, but this is not high grade stuff in the way the material JB was talking about a few weeks ago is. I asked him yesterday and he says it's the wrong part of the Sony store to hold original recordings.

I don't think SMq was remixed - just remastered - which means the chances are this is just a listening copy of that. I'll be bidding certainly on the CD-R and if I get it it'll be preserved for the empire and distributed in the usual way. Considering using dropbox now as an alternative to megaupload or torrents by the way.

What's more interesting looking across the other material this guy is offering is that there's a range of rough mixes and things like interviews on CD for other artists. So I guess we'll see what turns up. I'm after VHS cassettes of some of the promo videos for example, and I'd be quite happy with that.
Which VHS vids are you seeking?
Any music worth its salt is good for dancing

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

25 Sep 2011, 16:01 #10

Sony put the standard set of videos out on single title promo cassettes. I'm missing some of them. Obviously I have the videos in other forms.

rock smith
Advanced Member
rock smith
Advanced Member

03 Oct 2011, 18:37 #11

There's a guy on ebay...
selling a dish cloth!

a generic 'promo' sleeve?

or a 12" mix tape

every home needs one..

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

03 Oct 2011, 19:09 #12

hands off the mix tape. I saw it first.... ;)

It's the standard 12" versions by the way, fairly sure about that. One of which is the 12" in generic promo sleeve too incidentally, that's the Aussie "release". You don't get anything different in terms of music.

The CD-R from the start of the thread is just the legacy version, nothing special on it

rock smith
Advanced Member
rock smith
Advanced Member

03 Oct 2011, 19:21 #13

bisonrav @ Oct 3 2011, 07:09 PM wrote:hands off the mix tape. I saw it first.... ;)
:P
that's a given B'rav..however I did pick up a white label copy of Jordan The Comeback for old times sake..although i missed the autographed FLPTM (grrr.. :angry:..)

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

04 Oct 2011, 06:43 #14

I think the 12" mixes tape was pictured on Bedford's old site at one point. Anyway safely secured for the Empire overnight and one step nearer completism completion, which now mostly involves 2 Japanese Cassettes and 2 European 12" (Johnny Johnny and the Golden Calf).

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

04 Oct 2011, 08:32 #15

Brilliant. And you've received the odd Scandinavian CD?
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last