SCOTT WALKER

It may suprise you to hear that there are artists who AREN'T called McAloon. This is the place to discuss them.

SCOTT WALKER

timonofathens
Advanced Member
timonofathens
Advanced Member

26 Dec 2010, 16:49 #1

I have been enjoying the mood of this record the last few days.
I knew that he had been cited as an influence by many,
so i looked this up,
as well as his compilation Classics and Collectibles.
I prefer Climate,
as the mood is more like a darker,
moodier,
Walk Across The Rooftops LP.
His voice sounds somewhere between pop and opera,
like the last of the cabaret torch song crooners,
and out of eight tracks,
I believe only four have titles.
The Classics album is great,
too,
just less of what I am gravitating towards the last few days.
Anyone have a recommendation on his work or the Walker Brothers albums?
playing for blood, as Grandmasters should.

ronchito
Advanced Member
ronchito
Advanced Member

26 Dec 2010, 19:48 #2

scott 4 is my favorite. it was his first solo album without covers. beautiful orchestration and melodies, and the drama is still there but a bit less distracting & heavy-handed than some of his earlier solo albums.

timonofathens
Advanced Member
timonofathens
Advanced Member

27 Dec 2010, 02:19 #3

Hey! Thanks!

Rollmo
Advanced Member
Rollmo
Advanced Member

27 Dec 2010, 23:09 #4

Scott Walker!

I came to know of him in the 90's

I was reading an interview with David Rhodes (guitarist, most notably w/Peter Gabriel) who mentioned in the article that he had recently recorded with Scott (Scott Walker - 'Tilt', 1995)

he said that the sessions were some of the 'toughest' he'd ever attended, largely due to the atypical arrangements (including constructing complex and heavy 'sound blocks') and the strange and depressing nature of the work (I'm paraphrasing)

I was instantly intrigued

I found a copy of 'Tilt' on CD at Tower records shortly thereafter, and one late night I brought the CD, a drink and the local music paper to the bedroom and put it on while I read

:30 seconds in, I put the paper down

after the first track ended, I turned the lights down low and finished my drink

I laid there, half-propped on the pillows for almost an hour in silence, just listening

it was a dark, quiet and complete induction into the 'I Am A Lifelong Fan Of The Album 'Tilt' By Scott Walker' club and it had only taken 57 minutes

for years I didn't bother to investigate his back catalog of music - I knew nothing would compare (* nothing does)

eventually, I succumbed to some great CD sales, and managed to pick up 'Scott', 'Scott 2', 'Scott 3' and 'Scott 4' over the years, and I like a few tracks from each (for entirely different reasons, of course, than 'Tilt')

'Climate Of Hunter' showed up in a .99 bin eight or nine years ago, and I grabbed it ('Track Three' is far away my favorite)

of course, when 'Drift' came out (2006) I was there on release day to pick it up - on first pass it seemed too much 'trying to be Tilt II', and I've shelved it and not played it since then until I can shake that feeling

his instrumental CD from 2007 was noisy, cacophonous and (for me) inconsequential

I've tracked down a few other songs of interest over the years (most of The Walker Brothers 'Nite Flights' album) but nothing in my Scott Walker 'collection' is essential

...except 'Tilt'
[color= grey]SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST[/color]

timonofathens
Advanced Member
timonofathens
Advanced Member

01 Jan 2011, 03:32 #5

I can always count on the good people of Sproutland for high-quality testimonials!
Tilt and Scott 4 are next on the docket.
I have recently come to really appreciate SW's version of Lost In The Stars.
Thanks again for your memories, chaps.

lonegroover
Advanced Member
lonegroover
Advanced Member

28 Jan 2011, 20:54 #6

I have all his stuff. Scott 2 is the best one for me, and one I often return to. Of the later stuff - I quite like Climate Of Hunter. I was quite beguiled by Drift for a while, but that wore off. I did find it rewarding, but not one I've wanted to return to since the initial interest subsided. I may try to reengage with it.

timonofathens
Advanced Member
timonofathens
Advanced Member

29 Jan 2011, 00:52 #7

The variety of opinions is a great sign that my ongoing search for his music will be well rewarded. Thanks!

lonegroover
Advanced Member
lonegroover
Advanced Member

29 Jan 2011, 11:24 #8

This is my favourite tune from Scott 2. What a voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZKDNoGYbmw

Despite the subject matter, a nice Bond theme vibe going on.

lonegroover
Advanced Member
lonegroover
Advanced Member

29 Jan 2011, 11:35 #9

And a corker from Scott 4, about the Russians crushing the Prague Spring in 1968. Scott's voice has a bit of competition from the bass, but wins the day. At this time (and arguably still) best known for his covers, most notably Jacques Brel songs of course, but wrote all of the tunes on that album himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4

I seen a woman, standing in the snow, she was silent as she watched them take her man. Teardrops burned her cheeks, for she thought she'd heard the shadow had left this land

The old man's back again.

Rollmo
Advanced Member
Rollmo
Advanced Member

31 Jan 2011, 22:12 #10

lonegroover @ Jan 29 2011, 11:35 AM wrote: And a corker from Scott 4, about the Russians crushing the Prague Spring in 1968. Scott's voice has a bit of competition from the bass, but wins the day. At this time (and arguably still) best known for his covers, most notably Jacques Brel songs of course, but wrote all of the tunes on that album himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4

I seen a woman, standing in the snow, she was silent as she watched them take her man. Teardrops burned her cheeks, for she thought she'd heard the shadow had left this land

The old man's back again.
...my absolute favorite from 4, LG!

Why can't they understand?
His mother called him 'Ivan'...

...then she died.

[color= grey]SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST[/color]

James L
Advanced Member
James L
Advanced Member

09 Feb 2011, 19:53 #11

of course, when 'Drift' came out (2006) I was there on release day to pick it up - on first pass it seemed too much 'trying to be Tilt II', and I've shelved it and not played it since then until I can shake that feeling
You should go back to it. It's a lot more atonal and fragmented than Tilt, which is quite an achievement if you know Tilt. It's takes similar themes but goes further. I like 'Clara' the song about Mussollini's mistress in particular this section:

She entered the Palazzo at night by a side door
To ascend to a lift in the upper floor
She lies on the bed
Looking up not yet seeing
The signs of the zodiac painted in gold
On the blue vaulted ceiling
His enormous eyes as he arrives
Coming nearer in the surrounding darkness
His strange beliefs about the moon
Its influence upon men of affairs
The danger of its cold light on your face
While you were sleeping
She'll eclipse it with her head
Stroke him while he sleeps
Until he has nothing to do among men of affairs
Sometime before dawn
Her bare feet cross the floor
She gazes from the window
At the fountain in the courtyard
Sometimes I feel like a swallow

Such great lyrics and such unusual and chilling subject matter. There are parts of The Drift where you yearn for some respite from the endless atonal music and lyric fragments but it is such a unique listen that I always feel compelled to follow it to the end and there's always something new in it. Like many 'difficult' pieces of art it yields to some time spent with it and is (cliched as it sounds) rewarding. I find both albums open doors into subject matter that I wouldn't have explored if I hadn't heard them.
Download The Loving Palms songs: Sunday Street Long Lost Summers of the Past and Runaway

ronchito
Advanced Member
ronchito
Advanced Member

11 May 2011, 13:59 #12

Bought 'Tilt' last week after years of procrastinating 'cause I was worried I'd hate his newer vocal style. Boy was I wrong. Wow.

timonofathens
Advanced Member
timonofathens
Advanced Member

16 May 2011, 15:03 #13

In MOJO's Special Limited Edition issue covering all things Smiths, David Sheppard interviewed Johnny Marr, who said this in response to a question about The Smiths might've developed had they not broken up...
"I wasn't trying to turn The Smiths into Kraftwerk! I remember thinking I wanted to do something that was vaguely Scott Walker-ish. Something that we touched on in Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me-something removed from the rock n roll combo thing."

The thought of one last Smiths album, mixing the move towards using more strings, as evidenced in There Is A Light, Girlfriend In. A Coma, and Last Night I Dreamt, matched to more Walker-ish things, and the influence of The Stone Roses and the house scene on everything at the time they'd have made the follow-up to Strangeways, is really exciting to consider. Even MOZZER wasn't immune to dance. Check out Interesting Drug if you disagree.

James L
Advanced Member
James L
Advanced Member

06 Feb 2012, 20:55 #14

Does anyone happen to have Scott's soundtrack to the film 'Pola X'? (from which 'Light' is taken: http://youtu.be/a3K7LWM90Dk)

Also, this was added to YouTube recently, its from his score for a Royal Opera House production called 'Cocteau Voices' http://youtu.be/jgVKy43Tboc

Rumour is a new album will be released this year.
Download The Loving Palms songs: Sunday Street Long Lost Summers of the Past and Runaway

tommyg#3
Mere Puppet of HIM
tommyg#3
Mere Puppet of HIM

23 Feb 2012, 21:32 #15

I got 'Farmer In The City' free with a music magazine shortly after tilt had come out, and thought it was one of the most brilliant, haunting and beguiling pieces I'd ever heard. but I never bought the album because I heard that that was the stand out track by some way. Howver after Rollmo's comments I've added it to my wish list.
I hear you got a new girlfriend - how's the wife taking it?