This is why we're here, right?

New interview

fredster
Advanced Member
fredster
Advanced Member

Mar 7 2010, 08:04 PM #1

Hi
Just bought the new issue of "Chronicart", a french monthly mag. There's a 2-page interview with Paddy. No scoops, but some interesting bits.

- Paddy seems to get a little bit upset when the journalists mentions PS's "great lyrics and melodies", but "kitsch arrangements".

-Paddy is asked what he thinks of his contemporaries : Echo and the bunnymen ("never bothered. This guy is a bit obsessed by his looks, isn't he?") and the Smiths ("I wasn't a fan. But I had the chance to see them at Newcastle's City Hall in 1986, a now legendary concert. Johnny Marr was a very nice bloke").

Here is a translation of the last two questions :

Most fans think that your best work is behind you...
I understand that some people would believe that. An artist is always linked to the works he's best known for. The only remedy is to release an album that can amaze them. It's a genuine challenge. But I can do it. For a long time, my hearing problems prevented me from making music. But, to be true, I could still make music. It's just that I couldn't sleep anymore. Now, I'm feeling much better, and I'm more motivated than ever to produce music I can be proud of. I still have two or three projects in mind that are much better than my unreleased stuff.

What are these projects about?
I'm working on two of them at the moment. The first one is an album about the state of the world today, the influence of celebrity, the mobile phone... All these distractions that prevent people from thinking. Nowadays, I read a lot of tabloids. The other day, I even wrote a song after I read an article about Brad Pitt in Vanity Fair. It is called "Angelina in 3D", and it's about how you feel when everybody wants to know every detail about your life, when everybody dreams about being like you, when you're hunted down and when your life is put in the public place. I know it can sound a bit complex, but it's a very joyous and catchy song. It could also fit to the second project I'm working on at the moment : a record dedicated to the mythologial goddesses like Eve or the queen of Saba. I have songs about them. They're never been heard before, but they exist.

loaffish
Advanced Member
loaffish
Advanced Member

Mar 7 2010, 09:02 PM #2

Great stuff Fred Thanks, Angelina in 3D ,yet another great Paddy title.
if you`ve no new clothes to wear then simply wash and comb your hair.

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

Mar 7 2010, 09:12 PM #3

He reads tabloids, yet avoids the internet, in part, because of all the misinformation on it? Another baffling dichotomy from Paddy.
I really have high hopes for his future releases. God-speed
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

Mar 7 2010, 09:48 PM #4

Thanks, fredster. Tantalising.
I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Mar 7 2010, 11:10 PM #5

Brilliant, fredster! Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be possible for you to provide scans of the two pages?
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

brother john
Advanced Member
brother john
Advanced Member

Mar 9 2010, 08:20 AM #6

Paddy McAloon wrote:I'm working on two of them at the moment. The first one is an album about the state of the world today [..] the second project I'm working on at the moment: a record dedicated to the mythological goddesses like Eve or the queen of Saba. I have songs about them. They're never been heard before, but they exist.
Haven't we heard this somewhere before? Paddy pretends he's making an album, we all get excited, and the silence continues as the list of unfinished/unreleased works gets a little longer.

As well as being a national treasure, Paddy McAloon is a troubled man (what was it he said about being up/down/out there with Sid and Brian?) who could probably benefit from professional help (and not just from a record company prepared to bankroll a new album!) I'm not holding my breath for any release of new material any time soon, or ever.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Mar 10 2010, 12:43 AM #7

Internet is amazing. Here is a PDF of the four pages pertaining to Paddy.

Enjoy reading! Time to brush up the French.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1RW784H7
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Mar 10 2010, 11:05 AM #8

brother john @ Mar 9 2010, 08:20 AM wrote: I'm not holding my breath for any release of new material any time soon, or ever.
While it is easy to revert to pessimism when it comes to Paddy releasing new albums, I for one have decided to opt a more optimistic point of view. Case in point: who would have believed a few years back that we one day would be able to hear Let's Change the World With Music?

In the French interview above, Paddy is asked whether the new release marks a farewell, a kind of final album. Paddy replies: "I understand what you're saying, but I haven't said my final word!" I really want to believe him on that. Hoping for a new release is, in a way, a leap of faith. Let's leap.
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

life's a miracle
Advanced Member
life's a miracle
Advanced Member

Mar 10 2010, 12:25 PM #9

Paddy pretends he's making an album, we all get excited, and the silence continues as the list of unfinished/unreleased works gets a little longer.
Whoa Bro-J, rattle the beans in my brain ! True, but why the recent flurry of new interviews ? Both past and present, new interviews that include France, Sweden and I believe in Spain. More Prefab Sprout songs are on Youtube then ever before. Good sale performances of "Let's Change The World With Music" and the fine reviews from the critics. Paddy's big write-up on Brian Wilson. Is all this just " a bit of exhibitionism" as Mr. Dolby once stated, then seclusion or is this a step by step plan of expansion of his creative career ? I think the latter. Paddy is feeling good , he said so, and up to par mentally, physically, spiritually then strike while the iron is hot.

Look, Paddy is still young, only in his early 50's. Many of the artists he admires and grew up with are either dead or in the ages 60 and 70 year old brackets. Many of these singers and songwriters are suddenly seeing that time is no longer on their side, so, get an album of songs out there quickly only to be disappointed .
No, Paddy can not afford to sit on his creativity and go into a 5 to 10 year hiatus.
Regardless, Anything Paddy is better than no Paddy at all.

"Here Comes The Last Of The Great Romantics.......".
So, excuse me, while my ears capture the best song of the year.
Music is proof that the human race is greater than it knows

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

Mar 10 2010, 02:35 PM #10

life's a miracle @ Mar 10 2010, 12:25 PM wrote: "Here Comes The Last Of The Great Romantics.......".
So, excuse me, while my ears capture the best song of the year.
You mean the best song of last year?
This year I hope we will be able to hum to "Uncool Ringtone" from "Zero Attention Span".
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

andrewneil
Advanced Member
andrewneil
Advanced Member

Mar 10 2010, 03:02 PM #11

Paddy may well be eccentric and unreliable with his music but he is a tunesmith - that's his craft and I believe that he will always produce music as long as he is able to.
Having a home studio is just too tempting for him - hell, I have an office at home and I can't walk past without checking e-mails etc - I imagine that Andromeda Heights is the same for Paddy - it;s just too easy to pop in and add a bit to the last piece that he is working on

Remember that there are two things that you should be slow to criticsize, a man's choice of woman and his choice of work!

Music chose Paddy rather than the other way round
One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain

James L
Advanced Member
James L
Advanced Member

Mar 10 2010, 03:29 PM #12

We will get something new I'm sure. But the LCTWWM is still a very recent release and I sense nothing this year but perhaps something next year. Paddy is traditional about how to market a record, Dolby said this. Maybe he will give it a good 18 months between releases, so I suspect we'll get something or rumours of something early next year.
Download The Loving Palms songs: Sunday Street Long Lost Summers of the Past and Runaway

Mar 22 2010, 05:46 PM #13

Vanity Fair shouldn't be dismissed as just a tabloid. It's actually a haven for some of the best high-profile exposes in the last several decades. Certainly fodder for the mind of songwriters, no?

brother john
Advanced Member
brother john
Advanced Member

Mar 23 2010, 01:22 PM #14

life's a miracle @ Mar 10 2010, 12:25 PM wrote:...new interviews that include France, Sweden and I believe in Spain. [..] Is all this just " a bit of exhibitionism" [..] or is this a step by step plan of expansion of his creative career?
He's had a record to promote, lots of people have been calling him for interviews, he's said yes. There's no 'plan'.

brother john
Advanced Member
brother john
Advanced Member

Mar 23 2010, 01:32 PM #15

andrewneil @ Mar 10 2010, 03:02 PM wrote:Paddy may well be eccentric and unreliable with his music but he is a tunesmith - that's his craft and I believe that he will always produce music as long as he is able to.
Paddy can't even hear properly. He is a tunesmith, but doesn't produce music except inside his head. Even if he could hear properly, even if he was motivated, and had the money for a producer, a studio, a band etc., it would take him a good couple of years to produce an album.

Having a home studio is just too tempting for him [..] it's just too easy to pop in and add a bit to the last piece that he is working on.
But Paddy isn't working on recordings, he just writes all day. He doesn't 'pop in and add a bit to the piece he's working on...' These aren't recordings, they probably aren't even demos. He just writes songs, thousands of songs, because he can't help himself. And he'll probably destroy them all before he dies.