My Dad's Bar

The forum for general discussion of whatever issues might be troubling you

My Dad's Bar

Fearin' Jung

Jan 8 2010, 12:06 AM #1

I found it amusing that as big a fan as I am of Paddy MacAloon this little coincidence has slipped my mind all these years. Back in the early 1970's my dad Bill and his brother Bob owned this bar in Lima Ohio. I found this photo and thought I'd share it here.

My dad and the bar business didn't mesh so he opted out early on. My uncle Bob owned it for several more years. No Guiness or Newcastle but I remember that draught beer drinkers could get a 6 ounce glass of Pabst for just 10 cents before 6 p.m. and only .25 cents the rest of the night.

I drove by it this past summer and the dive is still there serving the locals. As bad as the economy is there I bet some wished they could still get a draught for a dime.

Happy New Year to all.
If you take then give back good - I'd like to recommend www.kiva.org

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

Jan 8 2010, 01:18 PM #2

Answering the age old question, does Paddy prefer Coke or Pepsi?
;)
I find it funny that the young hipsters nowadays think Pabst in cans is the cat's meow; which is not to say I wouldn't throw down a 10 cent tap or two of PBR. Those days are long gone I fear.
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

Tommy
Advanced Member
Tommy
Advanced Member

Jan 22 2010, 12:43 PM #3

And the answer to the question why Paddy prefers Pepsi is because it is an homage to the king of classical music, the hottest musical dog that has ever lived, Wagner's dog!:

"Richard Wagner's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Peps was the composer's harshest critic. Without Peps the sound of the helicopter scene in the film "Apocalypse Now" could sound very different. Wagner had Peps sit on a special chair for the dog while Wagner played his compositions. Based on the dog's reactions, Wagner would keep or toss the segment."

http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-d ... nced-world
Meet the new Mozart,
the comeback of the Salzburg wizard.

rock smith
Advanced Member
rock smith
Advanced Member

Jan 30 2010, 09:28 AM #4

qmbcole @ Jan 8 2010, 01:18 PM wrote:Answering the age old question, does Paddy prefer Coke or Pepsi?
;)
I find it funny that the young hipsters nowadays think Pabst in cans is the cat's meow; which is not to say I wouldn't throw down a 10 cent tap or two of PBR. Those days are long gone I fear.

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

Jan 31 2010, 03:04 AM #5

Cheers Rock!
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...