Let's really change the world with music

This is why we're here, right?

Let's really change the world with music

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 03:45 PM #1

Board regulars will know of this already because it came about because of a fan project I was involved with, but I thought it was worth a separate thread with links and so on at the top so they can be found easily, and also to disassociate it with the original project for various reasons, including longevity.

A Prefab Sprout fan page has been set up support the work of the Sage in Gateshead, which has had links to Wendy Smith in recent years. This organisation aims to tangibly change the world (at least for the participants) with music via its charitable work.

This isn't a band or Wendy endorsed site in any way - the initiative came from the fan side - but I'm told that Wendy has been told about it and was touched that we remembered her and were willing to contribute.

The link to the charity is here.

The Sage have passed on the following message:
“We’re very grateful that you’ve all chosen to support our work with your generous donations and we’ll keep you posted on how the fundraising goes. The Sage Gateshead is the home of music in the North East of England and we’re very proud to have Wendy in our family, so it’s fantastic that support for Prefab Sprout has prompted these generous donations. If anyone wants to learn more about how their gifts will help support the future of music for everyone from under fives to over fifties, they can have a look at our website which gives a bit more information on why donations are so vital to our work: http://www.thesagegateshead.org/support ... duals.aspx and http://www.thesagegateshead.org/l_and_p/. A huge thank you to you all, from everyone at The Sage Gateshead!” 
And lastly, at time of writing, the total donated was around £185!

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 04:43 PM #2

This is really a very worthwile project. It proves that we Sproutfans are caring and giving, and not some weirdos only capable of discussing elusive oddities.

If this project turns out to be a success - and it already shows great signs in that direction - then maybe we should try to expand it into the charity idea that GreenJeremy once proposed here: to be part of the funding of the next Paddy/Sprout album. I know we've already discussed this elsehwere on this board, but one shouldn't forget a good idea.
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 05:06 PM #3

Indeed, on all the above accounts.

I know it's a sh!tty economy and times are tough for many, but can't the majority here get behind this in at least some way?

I really believe we can and should!

Come on sproutnet, dig deep!!
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 05:49 PM #4

If we're not allowed to be obsessive weirdos I'm not coming here any more :(

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 06:04 PM #5

Of course we are, bisonrav, but we're also well capable of being completely human. ;)
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 07:07 PM #6

ahah, I get it, we're on our best behaviour in case THEY visit... ;)

timonofathens
Advanced Member
timonofathens
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 07:58 PM #7

completely human and completely naked.
i just feel...so at ease with you all.
just me,
the PC,
and a beer shake make three!
playing for blood, as Grandmasters should.

you know who.
Advanced Member
you know who.
Advanced Member

May 7 2010, 11:27 PM #8

Rivermoving @ May 7 2010, 06:04 PM wrote: Of course we are, bisonrav, but we're also well capable of being completely human. ;)
how could a human being not be completely human?
i'm offended - stop talking.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

May 8 2010, 07:52 AM #9

That's a good question and really one for the historians and psychiatrists to answer.
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

Kev Tinsley
Advanced Member
Kev Tinsley
Advanced Member

May 8 2010, 08:14 AM #10

bisonrav @ May 7 2010, 07:07 PM wrote: ahah, I get it, we're on our best behaviour in case THEY visit... ;)
Like that scene in Little Miss Sunshine where the mum says, "Everyone act normal".
If it's uphill all the way, you should be used to it by now

timonofathens
Advanced Member
timonofathens
Advanced Member

May 8 2010, 07:35 PM #11

yes,
we must always be on our guard against THEY,
THEM,
THE OTHER GUY.
i've gone commando just in case.
playing for blood, as Grandmasters should.

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

May 9 2010, 12:49 AM #12

i've gone commando just in case.
Pssst... just be careful of the zipper ;)
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

loaffish
Advanced Member
loaffish
Advanced Member

May 9 2010, 09:30 AM #13

Like most things in life , you have to get the balance right , that delicate balance between freedom and support plus one must have a good wiping technique.
if you`ve no new clothes to wear then simply wash and comb your hair.

bisonrav
Advanced Member
bisonrav
Advanced Member

May 10 2010, 05:43 PM #14

In what is probably a vain attempt to drag this back on some sort of topic (not that the digressions aren't a good laugh), one of the things the Sage is linked to is:

http://www.musicmanifesto.co.uk/about-the-manifesto

You can sign up apolitically and free (and anonymously if you like) to support the idea that teaching music to the young is a good thing. In these increasingly grey and depressing days we can be sure that music education is going to be a long way down the list of governmental priorities, whoever gets to be in government.

Which is a shame really, since if anything has ever been a unifying and redemptive force since I can remember, it's been music. Not exactly one way traffic, obviously, as mods and rockers can testify, but as a rule if there's anything that blurs seperating boundaries and links people, it's music.

It'd be dumb to believe that we'll drag music education back up the agenda all by ourselves or that signing yet another online list is in itself an act of revolution, but let's nail our colours up there, participate where we can, and see what happens. A footstep's such a small thing, and all that.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

May 10 2010, 06:08 PM #15

Great effort, Tim.

I would even be so bold to propose we drag this topic back even further, to the old "Let's Change the World With Paddy" idea (or "BankRollmo" as it was called). I wonder if enough fans here on the board think it would be a good idea to start that kind of campaign: a donation site to give Paddy some well-earned cash and a creative nudge in the direction of the nearest recording studio.

Here's the thread to remind anyone interested:
http://z6.invisionfree.com/sproutnet/in ... ic=2284&hl
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last