31/01/10 - New iTunes Videos and More

The place to read and discuss all the latest Prefab Sprout developments, as reported by sproutnet.

31/01/10 - New iTunes Videos and More

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

31 Jan 2010, 16:44 #1

Some quite exciting news today, at least for anyone who can access the UK iTunes store. This Link should send you to listings for twelve Prefab Sprout videos avaliable for purchase, two of which I've never seen before - so chances are you haven't either, at least recently. Thanks are due to Jeremy Stamps for spotting these.

For those without iTunes, or abroad, don't despair - Lee (or imarcopolo from the forums) has spotted that 'Jinski' have uploaded a new video of him/them live at the Sage, featuring the Sprouts' own Wendy. This is on facebook, and you'll find it here.

We've had a late review for the 'Let's Change the World' reviews page, from Rachel Gilbert, during which she points out the similarity of the intro for 'Meet the New Mozart' to the Postal Service's track 'Such Great Heights.' What do you think? Remember though, Paddy was doing his a decade earlier!

And to round things off nicely, we have a new set of tabs for 'Love Will Find Someone For You', deduced by Kev Tinsley and brother john. Best of luck with those!

duffy moon
Advanced Member
duffy moon
Advanced Member

31 Jan 2010, 18:17 #2

For what its worth I hear no resemblance between New Mozart and Such Great Heights. And I'll happily spend the rest of my days without hearing Such Great Heights ever again...the lack of musical creativity is astounding.

Postal Service seems a very apt band name...utterly mundane, boring etc. etc.
Oh yes...the power of rock!

duffy moon
Advanced Member
duffy moon
Advanced Member

31 Jan 2010, 18:34 #3

I'll just pick up on one thing Rachel mentions in her review...McAloon as a forefather (if you like) of modern indie-electronica.

When I hear the word 'electronica' it definitely fills me with dread...its the sound of people with little or no musical talent fiddling around with synths, sequencers and the like. I think of McAloon as much more of a Stevie Wonder type, a genuinely gifted songwriter who uses synthesizers as a means to an end (to create a lush sound 'universe' to 'project' the song) rather than as an end in themselves (i.e. building a 'song' based on a few bleepy noises that anyone can get with a bit of playing around on a synth).

Now the caveats...Kraftwerk were pioneering the latter approach at a time when synthesizers needed a bit more effort, to fantastic results. And there were others too who I'm less familiar with (Yellow Magic Orchestra?, Jarre?)...I can't honestly say I've heard anything that these days gets called electronica (of whatever kind) that hasn't already been done better twenty or thirty years ago (unless Royksop and Bjork count).
Oh yes...the power of rock!

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

31 Jan 2010, 18:55 #4

I think it's the bleeps and bloops...I'm convinced. Try it on headphones.

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

31 Jan 2010, 23:37 #5

Interesting how Wendy's voice has changed in the interim. I'd like to hear Jinski on a better audio format than I have on my computer; I'm thinking some of my reservations about the music is rooted in the crappy sound I get from my CA speakers.

I'd throw in that the "bleeps/boops" etc aspect of the music is much more attributable to the Demo format than Paddy would eventually have gotten onto tape. TD seems like a much more natural choice for the forefather of electro-indie as far as I'm concerned.
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

Rhesus Bad
Advanced Member
Rhesus Bad
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 02:47 #6

For those of us stranded in the States & other places where the content is different from the English iTunes, what are the new videos?
Just like a film where she won't come back and he must die of a heart attack

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 08:41 #7

Rhesus Bad @ Feb 1 2010, 02:47 AM wrote: For those of us stranded in the States & other places where the content is different from the English iTunes, what are the new videos?
The videos are "Don't Sing" (the Sprout's first video!) and "All the World Loves Lovers" from its single release in 1992.

Living in Sweden, I can't buy these videos either. So I'm hoping for a generous Brit to share them with us!
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

rock smith
Advanced Member
rock smith
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 13:04 #8

Rivermoving @ Feb 1 2010, 08:41 AM wrote:
The videos are "Don't Sing" (the Sprout's first video!)
omfg! :o the holy grail!

rock smith
Advanced Member
rock smith
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 13:11 #9

duffy moon @ Jan 31 2010, 06:34 PM wrote: I'll just pick up on one thing Rachel mentions in her review...McAloon as a forefather (if you like) of modern indie-electronica.
he just needs a douche- bag hair cut and some skinny jeans and winkle pickers.

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 13:53 #10

Rhesus Bad @ Feb 1 2010, 02:47 AM wrote: For those of us stranded in the States & other places where the content is different from the English iTunes, what are the new videos?
I didn't think of this - I have edited the post so no-one will be disappointed.

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 13:57 #11

I haven't used iTunes for years, but, having seen the video previews, I'm looking forward to these. :D
I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

ronchito
Advanced Member
ronchito
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 14:31 #12

duffy moon @ Jan 31 2010, 02:17 PM wrote:For what its worth I hear no resemblance between New Mozart and Such Great Heights.  And I'll happily spend the rest of my days without hearing Such Great Heights ever again...the lack of musical creativity is astounding.

Postal Service seems a very apt band name...utterly mundane, boring etc. etc.
seconded (both the lack of similarity and the goddawful postal service band)

if "such great heights" stole from anything, it's the first part of the melody line from this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEwNcnkl ... re=related

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 14:35 #13

The videos for All The World Loves Lovers and Life of Surprises were obviously pieced together with footage from the same shoot. (The former even says "To be continued" at the end.) Wendy's in the same seductive mood throughout, but I wonder how embarrassed she'd be to be reminded of the lollipop licking? :huh:

Meanwhile, seeing the youthful Sprouts in the Don't Sing video is a joy. :D

I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

Rivermoving
Advanced Member
Rivermoving
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 18:10 #14

Interestingly, the video for "All the World Loves Lovers" begins directly where the video for "If You Don't Love Me" ends, and it leads directly onto the video for "I Remember That". A trilogy of sorts...
The mythic fog descends
Mysterious to the last

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 18:20 #15

Ah, yes - thanks for clearing that up, River. And with Life of Surprises, it's a quadrilogy.