13/10/07 - New Sprout compilation

The place to read and discuss all the latest Prefab Sprout developments, as reported by sproutnet.

13/10/07 - New Sprout compilation

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

13 Oct 2007, 11:26 #1

Some real, genuine news today. Firstly, regular contributor Peter Whitfield has posted a quite optimistic forum post with a lot of insight about the current state of the band. You can see it here, and it's well worth a read.

And there's more - Daneil Hunt emailed me to say that Play.com is listing a new Prefab Sprout compilation, entitled 'Kings Of Rock 'N' Roll.' You can see for yourself here, though there's not much information yet. Something to look out for, though!

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

14 Oct 2007, 20:21 #2

Thanks for the news, Jamie. But is another Prefab Sprout compilation really something to look forward to?
I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

14 Oct 2007, 21:06 #3

Jim_Williams @ Oct 14 2007, 08:21 PM wrote: Thanks for the news, Jamie. But is another Prefab Sprout compilation really something to look forward to?
Well Jim, I like to operate on the principle that anything is better than nothing. Though this doesn't always work!

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

15 Oct 2007, 09:59 #4

Well, quite. All the same, the prospect of yet another compilation is just a stark reminder that, in effect, the Sprout/McAloon saga has become little more than record business shenanigans.
I feel nothing but pride – that’s all I do feel: an empty pride, a hopeless vanity, a dreadful arrogance, a stupefyingly futile conceit. But at least it’s something to hang on to.

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

15 Oct 2007, 10:44 #5

Jim_Williams @ Oct 15 2007, 09:59 AM wrote: Well, quite. All the same, the prospect of yet another compilation is just a stark reminder that, in effect, the Sprout/McAloon saga has become little more than record business shenanigans.
At least it shows that record companies are still interested in the Sprouts!

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

15 Oct 2007, 11:25 #6

True enough.

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

15 Oct 2007, 13:36 #7

At least it shows that record companies are still interested in the Sprouts
And the more media buzz, recored company release etc will hopefully prove to PS that they are still relavant and could do more, the audience still exists and could grow. BTW T Dolby's B-day was yesterday, he's 49 years young. Come on Thomas, plant a bug in Paddy's ear and get him going again!
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

dlgladwin
Advanced Member
dlgladwin
Advanced Member

16 Oct 2007, 08:43 #8

Marginally more detail at the Amazon UK site.

It seems like it's going to be a budget release on the Music Club label.

There's no track listing yet, but some of those Music Club releases have been very nice - non-album tracks and so on.

Will do a bit more digging, and see if I can get a track list from anywhere.
Born to be hanged.

dlgladwin
Advanced Member
dlgladwin
Advanced Member

16 Oct 2007, 08:48 #9

I have emailed Demon Music Group (parent label of Music Club) to see if they can supply any details, and will post any response here.
Born to be hanged.

Billy
Billy

16 Oct 2007, 16:45 #10

Do you think the play list might have songs of Prefab Sprout that didn't make it on past albums but are market worthy to release ? If so this would be great.
Just a Question. Don't want to get hopes up to high for a let down.
Anyway, good work.

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

16 Oct 2007, 17:04 #11

The Music Club imprint is rough 'n' ready, bargain basement stuff, but I've picked up a few gems from them over the years. In terms of contemporary stuff, they've managed to knock out CDs by the likes of Edwyn Collins and Mark Eitzel, but, by and large, we're talking Foster & Allen and Engelbert Humperdinck (with perhaps a smattering of John Coltrane and Marvin Gaye). And Jamie no doubt has the Beautiful South DVD, 'Live in the Forest'.

Music Club

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

16 Oct 2007, 20:58 #12

Jim_Williams @ Oct 16 2007, 05:04 PM wrote: And Jamie no doubt has the Beautiful South DVD, 'Live in the Forest'
Yeah, and very good it is too. :D

Actually, this thread reminds me of The Beautiful South's comments when they were last the recipients of a compilation like this:

"A team of deaf chimps at Universal Records have compiled this bargain-bin-ready turd mountain. It's had zero input from the group as you could guess by the shoddy artwork and bizarre tracklisting...... avoid like a text party!"

Jim_Williams
Advanced Member
Jim_Williams
Advanced Member

16 Oct 2007, 21:08 #13

LOL! Brilliant quote.

Rae
Advanced Member
Rae
Advanced Member

17 Oct 2007, 09:28 #14

What's a "text party"? Sounds kinda cool, actually.
Sophomore jive
From victims of typewriters
The band sounds like typewriters
The big man he's not listening

Hans
Advanced Member
Hans
Advanced Member

24 Oct 2007, 16:21 #15

The new compilation "Kings of Rock'n Roll; The Best of Prefab Sprout" is now up at play.com with cover and track listing, somewhat different song choise than "38 Carat" and a couple of b-sides, check it out:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3510210 ... oduct.html