08/09/09 - Your Thoughts

The place to read and discuss all the latest Prefab Sprout developments, as reported by sproutnet.

08/09/09 - Your Thoughts

Jamie
Advanced Member
Jamie
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2009, 14:03 #1

The new album is out right now, so you can head off and buy it at your leisure (some links can be found on the bottom right of the homepage.) We will hopefully have chart information up here as soon as it comes in, though I wouldn't hold your breath.

I am going to start a page for 'fan reviews' of LCTWWM, probably called something like 'Your Thoughts.' So once you've had time to digest the album, why not sent me your thoughts (you see the tie-in?) on it via email, with the subject line: My New Album Review. Thanks in advance!

08 Sep 2009, 17:29 #2

I think Amazon should get a shake on & send it to me :angry:
It always rains in, Durham County

Porky Prime Cut
Advanced Member
Porky Prime Cut
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2009, 18:13 #3

I still really like it, but do you think that maybe Paddy overdid the "it's an illness, I have all these songs written but I cant let go of them" thing in interviews? I worry that he is setting himself up for some ridicule.

It's much better quality soundwise than I even imagined when it was announced that the new album would be 17yr old demos. I feared the worst having heard Glenn Tilbrook's demo's albums. And like someone said in the run up, it's sad that they have only been "baked" in a studio and not given the full works, that could have been amazing, and maybe not - we'll never know. The quality of songs always really shines thru though (i think).

gethomas
gethomas

08 Sep 2009, 18:51 #4

Porky Prime Cut @ Sep 8 2009, 06:13 PM wrote: I still really like it, but do you think that maybe Paddy overdid the "it's an illness, I have all these songs written but I cant let go of them" thing in interviews? I worry that he is setting himself up for some ridicule.
I would think most people just feel sorry that a huge talent like that has these issues.

:(

Having just moved to County Durham (and my memory was jogged about PF as I moved to near Witton Gilbert) I wasn't aware of any illness etc. until recently. I had just assumed he had virtually given up. I've been busy buying up all the back catalogue.

BTW, is I Trawl the MHz worth buying?

GreenJeremy
Advanced Member
GreenJeremy
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2009, 19:03 #5

gethomas @ Sep 8 2009, 06:51 PM wrote: BTW, is I Trawl the MHz worth buying?
Of course it is. It's an album of music by Paddy McAloon.
Your feline eyes still lead me on...

Kev Tinsley
Advanced Member
Kev Tinsley
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2009, 19:06 #6

For the title track alone, though I'm 42 never fails to bring a tear to the eye. It's an emotional roller coaster ride - not for the faint hearted, but a real must have.
If it's uphill all the way, you should be used to it by now

hotbread

08 Sep 2009, 19:20 #7

Actually, I like the idea of Paddy not caring about production and arrangements. It may be old fashioned or cheesy sometimes, but the songs are still breathtaking, and I personnally don't give a…

(Not talking about LCTWWM, you just can't find it in France, and it couldn't be more frustrating.)

you know who
Advanced Member
you know who
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2009, 21:31 #8

How many bleedin angels can pentecostal paddy get to dance on the eye of a needle?
on my second hearing now, and it feels like being hit repeatedly around the head with a giant talking Cliff Richard birthday card-or attending a Dana concert (that's Dana-the eurovision winning personification of self righteousness -not the Israeli eurovision winning tranny)
Maybe i'll suddenly see the light, or i'll just wake up a convert......bloody hell once you get started with these religious puns, it ain't half hard to stop!
Once I had a secret love
That lived within the heart of me
All too soon my secret love
Became impatient to be free

qmbcole
Advanced Member
qmbcole
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2009, 22:24 #9

YKW, look at the transcripts (or listen to the mega-upload) of Paddy talking to Arnie about spirituality, then come back to the CD. maybe that will give you a different take on it
It doesn't mean a thing, if you haven't got the ability to swing...

gethomas
gethomas

08 Sep 2009, 22:42 #10

Kev Tinsley @ Sep 8 2009, 07:06 PM wrote: For the title track alone, though I'm 42 never fails to bring a tear to the eye. It's an emotional roller coaster ride - not for the faint hearted, but a real must have.
Thanks for the heads up (and GreenJeremy) :)

SnatzoBoy

08 Sep 2009, 23:15 #11

LCTWWM now available to listen to in full on Spotify as of today!

I've only listened to it once right through at the moment (and even then only as background music), but sounds okay pretty good!

Siciliano
Advanced Member
Siciliano
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2009, 01:16 #12

Wonderful!! Paddy is greater than Mozart!! :rolleyes:

...and I'm still waiting for the mailman to bring me this new masterpiece!! :)

irons1965

09 Sep 2009, 08:12 #13

Is it me or do the new album remind you of Marvin Gaye's "Whats Going On" at times?...."Earth:The Story So Far" could be "Mercy Mercy Me" maybe??

James L
Advanced Member
James L
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2009, 11:39 #14

It's too soon to say where LCTWWM sits in the pantheon of recorded works by PS. But I was thinking yesterday that for all his ill health and set backs we've had 4 new pieces of work from Paddy in the 90s. The Gunman gets better with age and the issues with hearing covers of songs that were already known retreat with time. I love Farmyard Cat, I think it's one of his most adventurous pieces of work. The SM acoustic album is a unique listening experience, 'Desire As' is practically a different song. Megahertz part masterpiece part enigma. I'm very glad it exists and enjoy it a lot. The new one is better than Andromeda Heights, and on a leve with Swoon, I enjoy listening to it more than Jordan but it's not quite there with FLPTM or SM yet.
Download The Loving Palms songs: Sunday Street Long Lost Summers of the Past and Runaway

Porky Prime Cut
Advanced Member
Porky Prime Cut
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2009, 12:35 #15

irons1965 @ Sep 9 2009, 08:12 AM wrote:Is it me or do the new album remind you of Marvin Gaye's "Whats Going On" at times?...."Earth:The Story So Far" could be "Mercy Mercy Me" maybe??
It's not you. I noticed it too. Still if you're going to benchmark yourself against something, WGO is as good as anywhere to start