Shrouds & Muxzzle Breaks Questions

Shrouds & Muxzzle Breaks Questions

December 14th, 2014, 3:36 am #1

I'm going to give away my experience level here........ And spill it all out in hopes for any of you guys comments or words of wisdom, I need all I can get.

Can I get an explanation of the felt. seen, or heard effects of your shrouds and breaks? In particularly Paul's.

As for my spring gunning experience level;
I am not a paper addict. I am a distance target addict. I check for accuracy on paper. The only time I take a critter life is when they are eating holes in my house.
I fabricated and placed several steel spinners placed at various distances and heights around my wooded lot to keep me in shape. They are not obvious enough to hurt curb appeal.
I have been looking at clubs and events in my area and have the fever. I also have access to 4000 acres to roam.

I had a Gamo 220 Hunter for years finally stolen. Back then I though it was really something.
I shot a B26 before and after a full tune and experienced felt contrast.
I was given the opportunity to shoot a stock R9 and that's where I got the real fever.

I really made a real spectacle of myself trying to hold and shoot the R9 off bags like my 30.06 and .300WM. Heh! I am getting the hang of how to hold now. My buddy was rolling in the isles at my dismay and facial expressions.

I am really trying to stalk up on a Paul Watts R9. I most likely cannot afford a super custom eye candy show piece. Its what's under the hood that most concerns me - Hint Hint.

I never shot a .22 pellet and being I like the fringe distances I may want to stick with .177?

Here is what I Tune My Truck http://alcphoto.net/radix/truck.html

December 16th, 2014, 3:51 pm #2

I was hoping someone else would comment on the difference the shrouds make. Mostly I make them for looks and it provides a surface that won't rust or easily scratch. I've had people tell me that they noticed it was quieter with the shroud work but I had others tell me they couldn't discern a difference. It's subjective and everyone's hearing is different so I've never marketed it as such.

Many Thanks,

Paul

December 17th, 2014, 1:18 am #3

I'm going to give away my experience level here........ And spill it all out in hopes for any of you guys comments or words of wisdom, I need all I can get.

Can I get an explanation of the felt. seen, or heard effects of your shrouds and breaks? In particularly Paul's.

As for my spring gunning experience level;
I am not a paper addict. I am a distance target addict. I check for accuracy on paper. The only time I take a critter life is when they are eating holes in my house.
I fabricated and placed several steel spinners placed at various distances and heights around my wooded lot to keep me in shape. They are not obvious enough to hurt curb appeal.
I have been looking at clubs and events in my area and have the fever. I also have access to 4000 acres to roam.

I had a Gamo 220 Hunter for years finally stolen. Back then I though it was really something.
I shot a B26 before and after a full tune and experienced felt contrast.
I was given the opportunity to shoot a stock R9 and that's where I got the real fever.

I really made a real spectacle of myself trying to hold and shoot the R9 off bags like my 30.06 and .300WM. Heh! I am getting the hang of how to hold now. My buddy was rolling in the isles at my dismay and facial expressions.

I am really trying to stalk up on a Paul Watts R9. I most likely cannot afford a super custom eye candy show piece. Its what's under the hood that most concerns me - Hint Hint.

I never shot a .22 pellet and being I like the fringe distances I may want to stick with .177?

Here is what I Tune My Truck http://alcphoto.net/radix/truck.html
I bought my HW95(R9)Super Bull from Paul a couple of years ago. It's chambered in .25cal which is really wonderful to shoot. Definately not a distance gun but a tack driver for sure. I think he said it shoots a 20gr.pellet around 570fps. I feel his shroud makes the report quieter. Paul tuned my .20 cal. R9 and it has no shroud. It's louder. I use the .20 cal. for distance. Welcome aboard! -Blair

December 18th, 2014, 7:21 am #4

Thank You, My Question is answered

In looking at your gallery I really get excited at the Target Hunter R9. I try to imaging one with no shroud or brake within reach of my budget. I have no idea what that would be as it being crafted from one of your in house actions.

A nice finished factory shaped stock with the ADV tune under the hood its like my truck, a sleeper. The 16oz trigger is me all the way. I have a very disciplined trigger finger that craves baby's breath let offs. I have a Ruger RedHawk 8" bbl in .41 magnum that I call the trigger baby's Breath. It has served as Doe Day Deer gun when I hunted deer with a gun. I have changed that to with a camera. She is a safe queen now.

The biggie would be choosing a caliber given there is the option to make a choice.

December 19th, 2014, 1:34 am #5

Ah, I had a Redhawk for years. .44mag 7.5"barrel. It was the blued version. Lot of fun! I currently have a Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 with an 8" vented heavy barrel. Really sweet gun. If you're a distance shooter than the smaller calibers shoot a little flatter. I rarely shoot past 50 yards so the bigger pellets are more fun for me.

December 19th, 2014, 4:54 am #6

Thanks,

If I have a choice it would most likely be in .177. The one he has in the gallery is a .177.

I hand loaded for the .41MAG with Jacketed Semi Wad Cutters. It was magic. I should have purchased a 5-gallon bucket of them, as I cannot find them any more. The seat depth worked out to be with the jacket just visible at the case rim.

December 19th, 2014, 10:18 pm #7

Thank You, My Question is answered

In looking at your gallery I really get excited at the Target Hunter R9. I try to imaging one with no shroud or brake within reach of my budget. I have no idea what that would be as it being crafted from one of your in house actions.

A nice finished factory shaped stock with the ADV tune under the hood its like my truck, a sleeper. The 16oz trigger is me all the way. I have a very disciplined trigger finger that craves baby's breath let offs. I have a Ruger RedHawk 8" bbl in .41 magnum that I call the trigger baby's Breath. It has served as Doe Day Deer gun when I hunted deer with a gun. I have changed that to with a camera. She is a safe queen now.

The biggie would be choosing a caliber given there is the option to make a choice.
I'll keep that in mind. The next few being done are 22cal and shrouded though. All but one will be custom stocked. I usually set triggers to about a pound and a half. It's easy enough to set the pull weight to your liking when they are done though.

Paul

December 20th, 2014, 4:41 am #8

Thanks, I'll be watching out.

December 20th, 2014, 6:23 am #9

Thanks,

If I have a choice it would most likely be in .177. The one he has in the gallery is a .177.

I hand loaded for the .41MAG with Jacketed Semi Wad Cutters. It was magic. I should have purchased a 5-gallon bucket of them, as I cannot find them any more. The seat depth worked out to be with the jacket just visible at the case rim.
I used to reload all of the popular magnum calibers back in the 70s. The .41 was a particular favorite of mine. Wonderful combination of knock-down power without blistering your hand. You could shoot it all day long. But the load I remember was my .44mag, The Hornady 210gr. jacketed hollow point. I liked the Winchester 296 magnum powder. Do they still make it? It's been so long since I've reloaded these old classics. -Blair