SG 25/95

August 13th, 2011, 4:07 pm #1

This is a prototype rifle I've been working off and on again for some time. I've always had a fondness for the old black powder single shots like the high walls, rolling blocks and Ballards and have always wanted to do a air rifle with a long range aperture and globe front sight. The front sight is a Lyman 20MJT and I have a set of shaver inserts for it but haven't got to try them out yet. The rifle has been laying in pieces on the bench for the better part of a year and I needed the space so I got up last night and finished it up. The shroud was milled flat on the sides to match the breech thickness and dovetailed for the Lyman front sight. Most long range sights have a small tunnel so I opted for the large 20MJT for a wider field of view. I had to make the rear aperture since nothing is commercially available that was anything like I wanted. I needed something that could go low enough for a rifle with no barrel angle but would still allow me enough adjustment for really long range shots. I also wanted it to be able to fold flat for transport so I made the back of it able to fold down 90 degrees and lock in place with a spring loaded detent. The toggle is case hardened and the detent is tool steel. It is secured with a hard bronze quick release thumb screw that is machined to fit in the holes in the receiver with a nylon patch on the bottom to lock the whole sight in place without marking up the rifle. I have two more sights in process that have finger click adjustments for shorter range target work but they'll probably wind up on 22cal rifles. This rifle is 25cal. I thought 25cal would be more fitting for the long range sight setup Like the old 45/70 black powder guns. The rifle shoots right at 600fps with 20grn ammo. It makes a lot of noise when it hits my steel plate at fifty I have a grade four Tyro stock I was going to put on it but I don't know when I'll finish it up. I like the way the standard stock works with the sights though.

Many Thanks,

Paul

August 13th, 2011, 5:33 pm #2

Looks fantastic! Love the shroud and the sights

August 13th, 2011, 9:08 pm #3

This is a prototype rifle I've been working off and on again for some time. I've always had a fondness for the old black powder single shots like the high walls, rolling blocks and Ballards and have always wanted to do a air rifle with a long range aperture and globe front sight. The front sight is a Lyman 20MJT and I have a set of shaver inserts for it but haven't got to try them out yet. The rifle has been laying in pieces on the bench for the better part of a year and I needed the space so I got up last night and finished it up. The shroud was milled flat on the sides to match the breech thickness and dovetailed for the Lyman front sight. Most long range sights have a small tunnel so I opted for the large 20MJT for a wider field of view. I had to make the rear aperture since nothing is commercially available that was anything like I wanted. I needed something that could go low enough for a rifle with no barrel angle but would still allow me enough adjustment for really long range shots. I also wanted it to be able to fold flat for transport so I made the back of it able to fold down 90 degrees and lock in place with a spring loaded detent. The toggle is case hardened and the detent is tool steel. It is secured with a hard bronze quick release thumb screw that is machined to fit in the holes in the receiver with a nylon patch on the bottom to lock the whole sight in place without marking up the rifle. I have two more sights in process that have finger click adjustments for shorter range target work but they'll probably wind up on 22cal rifles. This rifle is 25cal. I thought 25cal would be more fitting for the long range sight setup Like the old 45/70 black powder guns. The rifle shoots right at 600fps with 20grn ammo. It makes a lot of noise when it hits my steel plate at fifty I have a grade four Tyro stock I was going to put on it but I don't know when I'll finish it up. I like the way the standard stock works with the sights though.

Many Thanks,

Paul

That is so nicely done Paul.  Love the shroud and sights.

August 14th, 2011, 2:48 pm #4

Looks fantastic! Love the shroud and the sights
Thanks

August 14th, 2011, 2:49 pm #5

That is so nicely done Paul.  Love the shroud and sights.
Appreciate it!

August 16th, 2011, 3:52 am #6

Many Thanks,

Paul

Beautiful work Paul! any chance of you setting a customers gun in that manner, namely one of mine... LOL

I'd feel like Quigley every I broke it out, probably have to invest in some buffalo silhouettes!

August 17th, 2011, 12:16 am #7

Many Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

We definately share a kinship since I have long admired the single shots that were used by many marksmen over 100 years ago.  Back in that era shooting clubs were private and membership was more exclusive than private golf clubs today (and almost as prevalent!!).

The .38-55 was the darling of the day and shot groups that are still hard to believe today even with our technology.   If there weren't hundreds of witnesses I probably wouldn't believe the size of those groups.

I've always admired your work but your status in my book has been elevated many more notches since you obviously have a vivid understanding of our single shot roots.  The .25/95 is brilliant.

I imagine shooting this terrific gun with an old world palm rest and swiss butthook installed and I would be transported back in time to when being able to shoot accurately was an expectation of every man. 

Thanks for singlehandedly trying to revive our important roots.

August 17th, 2011, 2:02 am #8

Many Thanks,

Paul

Paul is there any chance this beautiful rifle will be for sale?

HW3

August 18th, 2011, 5:17 am #9

Many Thanks,

Paul

Very practical understated rifle. Function over form ! =^D Looks like a fine Quigley springer. 600 fps. in quarter bore sounds absolutely perfect for lobbing them home ! ;^) Excellent Concept, second that.

August 19th, 2011, 3:43 pm #10

Beautiful work Paul! any chance of you setting a customers gun in that manner, namely one of mine... LOL

I'd feel like Quigley every I broke it out, probably have to invest in some buffalo silhouettes!
Right now I'm only doing this kind of work on rifles I sell. That way I can work on them as time allows. It just takes to long to complete to be doing these kind of jobs to customers rifles. I also limit these kinds of one off builds to keep resale value high for my customers that buy my custom rifles.

Many Thanks,

Paul