R9 Ultimate plinker

R9 Ultimate plinker

April 25th, 2008, 9:07 pm #1

Took a R9 on trade the other day and upon cutting the barrel back to re-choke it I noticed the barrel was badly bent. Upon closer inspection the barrel bore was so badly off center someone had bent and contorted the barrel to try and get it to sight in. I'd usually just get another barrel I had laying around to use but decided to make a project out of it. Talking to Clive the other day it came up about how I used to cut barrels from the rear before I could re-choke them. I had one I did back in the late nineties come through the shop the other day and honestly couldn't remember doing it. I used Ford high temp injector o-rings for breech seals. They are pretty much a life time seal compared to the factory seals. The have better memory and don't "over flatten" over time. They also take heat better than a factory unit. Well, after talking to Clive I dug around and found my old tool bit I used to cut the breech seal slot and a cut off barrel from a R1. I'm in bidness!! I decide to do a mid power plinker with peeps. Even with the ultra short barrel it will have a mid twenty pound cocking effort and yield 730-750 with JSBs or Premier Lights. I've done a couple for customers in the last few month's but they were shrouded and scope use only. This will be a light easy cocking karbine with peeps and a Stingray stock. Should make for a nice combo.

Many Thanks,

Paul Watts

Here you can see the old barrel and the new blank knurled and ready to install.

Barrel pressed into block with front sight installed.

Breech seal slot.

Breech seal installed

Now I have to re-install a new locating pin back in the breech, mill and ream the pivot bolt hole, cut breech for inserts in side and mill the block for a cocking link pin with c-clips. Then polish the whole action up and blue it.

April 29th, 2008, 2:10 pm #2

How about something really different...line .21 caliber?!?

April 29th, 2008, 4:06 pm #3

Did a 23cal a long time ago. (97/98?) It was a way oversized 22cal barrel hand lapped out to 23. It took forever to do. JM made dies to make 30cal pellets for his old RWS52 30/30 conversion. It was a jig that would mash 25cal pellets down and flare them out to 30cal. I pretty much did the same thing he did to make the pellets. Jim made a 21cal recently. It's on his gallery #3. I don't have the spare time like I did back then

Paul
Last edited by SpringGunner on April 29th, 2008, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2008, 3:14 pm #4

Seems like a lot of work - the building and the shooting!

April 30th, 2008, 4:07 pm #5

Yeah. I wish I had the spare time to tinker around and do all I want to do.

Reality bites!

Paul

April 30th, 2008, 5:57 pm #6

So you think your better than me, right?
Screw Clive........
Nice work, brings back fond memories.............
Those were the days..........

May 1st, 2008, 1:21 am #7

I'm always amazed at how much you can pack into such a small post.

I was thinking just the other day, "Maccari will never be the man I am." Just then a piece of hot metal hit my polyester knit pants in the crotch and burnt about a eight of a inch in to the head of my wee wee. I save you the rest of it. But as soon as it happened all I could think was, MACCARI!

I tried to screw Clive out of some moola a couple of days ago but he didn't take the bait. LOL He wouldn't bite.

Don't know why but doing bluing work always takes me back to 92/96. I could do kewl stuff like you've been playing with the last couple of years. When I settle down to do polishing I have to throw a couple of odd ball things in to make it entertaining or it just gets to monotonous.

Paul

May 1st, 2008, 2:49 pm #8

Did a 23cal a long time ago. (97/98?) It was a way oversized 22cal barrel hand lapped out to 23. It took forever to do. JM made dies to make 30cal pellets for his old RWS52 30/30 conversion. It was a jig that would mash 25cal pellets down and flare them out to 30cal. I pretty much did the same thing he did to make the pellets. Jim made a 21cal recently. It's on his gallery #3. I don't have the spare time like I did back then

Paul
Just like the Uberluft pic, there'll be a handful of us lemmings lining up to buy one!

May 1st, 2008, 9:20 pm #9

That was a long long time ago. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

Paul