Gunbroker Again - Learn to describe the gun's condition, sellers!

Gunbroker Again - Learn to describe the gun's condition, sellers!

April 26th, 2008, 4:55 pm #1

Ironically, I recently got two airguns from Gunbroker that were actually really good deals... Both times, the seller listed a low buy it now price and I happened to be the first person to view their auction. One of them was an FWB300S RT that had never had a pellet in its bore since purchased in 1982, with the most beautiful tiger striped walnut stock I've ever seen on a factory gun. In the box exactly like the day it was sold. Even the box is crisp and new looking...

That said - check out this FWB in "EXCELLENT!!" condition... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=98260647

What is the matter with these people? At least the photographs are detailed enough to override the ridiculous description...

Paul is working on an FWB150 I got from Gunbroker, advertised as "Like New in every way - PERFECT." The seller carefully cropped out the rust spots and found every angle they could photograph from to hide the many nicks and scratches on the wood. It's a nice gun for sure, and in the top 10% of all the 150s I've seen - but "Like New" was an outright lie.

April 27th, 2008, 2:35 am #2

Most of the guys that try and sell that stuff on Gunbroker are used to selling old rifles made back in the late 1800s or early 1900s. I've called a few of them when I saw something listed to just see how firm the opening bid is. They usually don't know what it's worth and have done very little to find out. They also don't know how old the guns are and think the stuff is in fair shape and made so long ago they all look beat. If you look at NRA definitions of firearm conditions it can be called very good and be a total beater to a airgunner. About the only thing I have issue with is the pricing so long as pictures are posted. One thing is for sure, 99% of the time your wasting your time talking to them. Most of the people postings that stuff is gun shops and they have "the gun shop attitude". Which they usually got from dealing with unreasonably cheap customers. In their eyes that's what we are and talking to them doesn't do any good. There is a fair shaped 300S in a Pawn Shop in Baton Rouge. I first saw it in 92 or 93. Last time I was in the shop was about 2004 and it was still there. They still want $2600 for it and won't budge. I can see it still being there when the roof caves in. Best to ask how much and say thank you and keep moving. It's still mildly irritating. What I really hate is these guys coming to my table at a gun show with this stuff because I'm the airgun guy. They really want to unload it and they usually have some ad showing what a new "equivalent" goes for today.

April 28th, 2008, 7:22 pm #3

The last laugh out loud moment I had was for the "Rare Spanish Gamo" sign. Most decent air guns I see (Beeman/RWS) are as Paul describes...well worn & $200 over priced.

And there's always the "dry fire cowboy" with the table full of junk up by the front door. "Lemme show ya how powfull that gun is, son!"
click clack POP! "Yep, you could shoot every cat in the neighborhood & nobody would ever know. It'll keep 'em from crappin' in the missus flowrs."

I love gun shows.

April 28th, 2008, 8:17 pm #4

Yep, they're a hoot.

It's very very rare to get a deal at a firearm show. If they don't know what they have, it must be really rare and worth thousands!

Paul