Not How I Would Have Planned This

A hybrid coffee shop/bookstore, The Attic is exactly what you'd expect from a book store; it's small, cozy and smells of hazelnut coffee and paper. The Attic has been open for nearly fifty years, owned by a little man named Andrew Sebastian.

Not How I Would Have Planned This

Jan 1 2014, 08:13 PM #1

Having spent the whole morning unpacking her things, Farrah was more than in need of a nice book and relaxing coffee. Problem was: her books were still packed away, and she hadn't yet gone to the grocery store, so she had no coffee. Luckily, she had found an advertisement for The Attic in the newspaper that had been in front of the door of her new apartment. She decided to head on down after changing into something a lot more suitable for public appearances than the fuzzy pink pajamas she had been wearing while unpacking this morning.

She strolled into the quaint little place in her purple sweater and skinny jeans. For a moment, she debated whether to start with coffee, or a book. She decided the books were more interesting to her than the coffee. Slowly, she browsed the area, searching for one that seemed like it would be a good read. She spotted a book titled Down to You. Alice, her adoptive mother, had told her about The Bad Boys series before, and seeing the first novel in the series told Farrah she had to read it. She reached up for M. Leighton's novel, wishing it wasn't on the very top shelf. Being only 5'2", Farrah struggled to reach it. She finally got her fingers around it and pulled it off the shelf, only to find herself toppling backwards.

Jan 1 2014, 09:29 PM #2

Tyler woke and sighed the sun streamed in threw his bed room window, even with black out blinds. But blues intensive snoring that had kept him awake. Yawning he got up and went to shave and shower. Now clean he saw Rileys door still shut and shook his head as he grabbed his coat and his keys. He looked down at the paper and saw an ad for a book store come coffee shop land he decided to check it out. “Better there than sitting here all day, hey Blues.” he said and patted the dogs head. All Blues did was lay in his bed and yawn. “ your right, you stay here” he said and chuckled as he headed for the front door.

Pulling up his truck he slipped out of it he grabbed his jacket and locked the truck up before heading to where he smelt the warm welcoming aroma of coffee. Walking over to the door he pushed it open but he decided to look at the books first thinking he might find one that he'd not read in years, well in months since he had left the hospital and moved to Mariet. With his hands firmly in his pockets he began to move around the shelves. It was while he was walking he noticed a woman up a ladder trying to get a book, he also noticed her precarious position , looking around he saw nobody else was with in reach. “ Hey, wow, watch it!!” He called out and he was quick to stand under her with his arms out to catch her, which he did. “um....Hello?” he said and looked down at her “ You okay, nothing broken?” He asked still holding her in his arms.“ ow hey, that's a good book, you should read the others.”

Jan 2 2014, 06:16 AM #3

Farrah felt the strong arms of a man catch her as she fell. It was amazing that he had managed to be there just in the nick of time, and for this she was very thankful. She looked up at his face, her own cheeks flush with embarrassment. His eyes captured her first. They were crystal clear blue which was attractive, but what attracted her attention was how caring and intelligent they were. She always believed you could see a person through their eyes, and his were showing a good man. She smiled up at him. "Uh.. Thanks.. Sorry about that. I'm a bit clumsy, I guess." She let out a shy laugh and bit her bottom lip bashfully. "I'm alright. Nothing is broken."

Farrah carefully got out of his arms and onto her own two feet. "Well, Hello. I am Farrah." She held out her hand. "This isn't exactly the best way to meet new people in a new town is it?" She laughed lightly. She heard his comment about the book and looked down at it. It was still tucked tightly in her left hand. She ran her right thumb across the cover. "Yes, Alice told me about it. She said I should read it. Mother's know best, right? Figured I would read them." She looked back up at him. "Uh.. How about I buy you a coffee? Least I could do for the man I just fell on top of."

Jan 2 2014, 03:03 PM #4

Tyler set her gently back on her own feet glad she wasn't hurt. “I'm Tyler and well, it is if you want to meet a paramedic or a doctor, but not so much for anyone else.” he said and chuckled as he saw the light flush to her cheeks. The offer of coffee was a welcome invite and he nodded. “ sure, and it was more into my arms than on top of me, “ he said and smiled at her. “and its why I came anyway, well maybe I could return the favour another day? “ He said hoping she would catch his meaning. Any one who liked that book was Okay in his books “Yes ma'am, mom's do seem to know best.” he said as he walked with her to a table, he took hold of the back of the chair and pulled it out for her.

Once she was sat he moved to sit facing her and looked at the menu but he kept looking back at her. “So you haven't read it before, its a good book, I read the series as a kid and to my younger siblings.“ he saw the waitress walk over and he ordered a mocha latte with a blueberry muffin.

Jan 2 2014, 11:42 PM #5

She smiled up at him, glad he was being so nonchalant about the whole ordeal. This relaxed her a bit. "Oh, and I take it you're not a doctor?" She pulled the book up against her chest and rested both hands on it's back cover. "Well, what is it you do, Tyler?" She could see how athletically built he was. Maybe he was a firefighter, or a cop. Although, his cut and demeanor stated military.

As he accepted her offer, adding in that he would return the favor, she had a couple butterflies flutter away in her stomach. It sounded as though he was flirting, and that was something she just was not used to, especially from a handsome man such as he was. "Yea. That would be great." She smiled very shyly at him, blushing a little bit. The blush got a bit pinker as he pulled out the chair for her, chivalry being something that had never been displayed before to her. "Why, thank you. You are very much the gentleman, aren't you?"

"No, I haven't read it. Alice has been suggesting it for a while now, but I just haven't had the time between classes, studying, and homework." She perused the menu, deciding on a vanilla chai and a raspberry scone. She placed the menu at the edge of the table, then folded her hands in front of her. "You have siblings? I'm an only child. Always have been. Even before Alice. Which I guess is best. My parents really shouldn't have even had me..." she trailed off, not really wishing to dwell on the darkness that enveloped her childhood. "Tell me about your family?"

Jan 3 2014, 07:38 PM #6

Tyler smiled “My mother and father brought me up to treat women as they should be,” he told her “ even in the corps...um,I was a marine, honourably discharged.” he told her as he moved to sit facing her he heard her mention talking about his family and looked up at her.

Now with his coffee in his hand he took a sip as he heard her talk and then trail off.“ well I for one ma'am, am glad they did...I...I mean..ow boy.” He said and now his cheeks went a blush red.” Sorry if that sounded wrong.” He said as he drank his coffee, he heard her ask about his family and he chuckled “ well.. not much to tell, I come from a military family, my father was a marine himself before he retired, my mother and I pretty much went with him where ever he was stationed, until my younger siblings came along then it was down to me to help her with them while he went to work. “ he said and paused so he could sip his coffee and add more sugar in if it needed it.

“Um..so what about you, what's your family like, apart from the obvious?” He said softly knowing from her words before it had not been easy for her. He wanted to steer away from his injury and hospitalisation feeling it would put her off him even with any remote chance no matter how small it was for him.

Jan 4 2014, 06:27 AM #7

Her face filled with pride in herself when he mentioned the marines. Apparently she was better at the guessing game than she had believed. The pride was quickly replaced by a shy blush. Now, she was sure he was flirting, after hearing him say he was glad her parents had had her. She looked up into his eyes, trying to read them, trying to see what he was thinking, who he was. Intently, she listened to him talk about his family. It always fascinating to her to here people talk about their families and childhood. They were all so much different than hers.

"Your family sounds wonderful." She stirred her vanilla chai, not yet ready to take a sip. "Well, what do you want to hear? The truth? Or just the good stuff?" She paused for a moment, then decided not to let him answer. Something in his eyes told her that she was not the only one holding in dark history. "The truth is always best, according to Alice." She now took a sip of chai, preparing herself mentally for the memories she would share, not in full detail, but still would share.

"My mother," she began, "was not an awful person, just a person trapped in an awful situation, making poor decisions. She married my father before really knowing who he was. They were young and... well you know how young love can be... My father, now he was a bad man. He had a temper, a steaming temper. Even he knew his temper was terrible, abusive even. To feel better about this, he drank, a lot. This made his temper worse. Eventually, they had me, although, it was almost as though they didn't know they had a daughter most of the time. My mother had turned to drugs by the time I was 2 in order to help her pretend my father was a loving man rather than an awful one. It got bad... really bad... My father killed her. Just pulled out a gun and shot her, then turned it on himself. I was hiding behind the couch when it happened... I saw everything... and they didn't even notice..." She stared into her chai, memories circling before her. She shook them away then looked up at him and gave a halfhearted chuckle. "I don't know why I told you all that... Guess something about you makes me feel... less alone..." Now, she blushed, brighter than before. "oh.. Now I am the one saying things I shouldn't. I'm sorry."