Not A Nightingale

Although Balzac's is states away from a real vineyard, their wine is of impeccable quality, as if everything on their menu... and the price tag shows. Getting into Balzac's without a reservation is near impossible; the restaurant is very exclusive and upper class. A famous interior designer was hired to decorate Balzac's - dark, rich wood, matte silver fixtures and a deep red and light tan color scheme give Balzac's a gorgeous interior and captivating atmosphere. In the corner of the restaurant sits a beautiful grand piano and a sleek microphone, reserved for only the finest pianist and the most bewitching nightingale. Being the only high calibre French and Italian fusion restaurant in town, Balzac's is the place to be.

Not A Nightingale

Dec 27 2013, 02:48 AM #1

Part of the struggles in becoming an aspiring celebrity musician is getting gigs; maybe not regular ones at least in the beginning, but at the very least temporary ones that are just to show your talent and skill; then maybe someone will notice you and give you something bigger. This has been Jamie's biggest dilemma ever since arriving in Mariet, and she'd very nearly given up on searching for the right gig, but then she received a call which she had hoped would change that; it was from the exclusive... and somewhat elusive Balzac's Winery.

"You mean it? I can play there Saturday night?" Jamie was excited; she hadn't gotten a gig yet and she was really seeing this as a big potential for her. "How much does it... Oh never mind, I don't really care. I'll be there!" She hung up the phone with enthusiasm and finally thought things were going to change for her. She'd been down in the dumps lately, for a multitude of reasons; one of which was her music, but another was that she hadn't gotten laid, by either a man or a woman. The sexual frustration and tension was really beginning to get to her.

Anyway, the night of her supposed gig at the Winery came up, and....

"What do you mean I can't play...?! But you guys called and said..." Jamie had been interrupted and the man who assumed the host position looked down at the woman's used guitar case and said with a snobbish attitude, "Madame, if you want to play piano, you are more than welcome, but this..." The man snorted and uninvitingly pointed down towards Jamie's precious guitar, then snorted again, "The Balzac Winery entertainment is reserved for the finest and most bewitching nightingales of the world. Is that a nightingale, Madame?" Honestly, Jamie wanted to punch the arrogant son of a bitch, but she refrained, knowing that he'd undoubtedly have the police called and she was vaguely aware of a new Sheriff in town. Jamie just resorted to shoving the man's precious guest list on the floor and turning tail, but before doing so, she uttered sharply, "You can take your precious nightingale and shove it up your ass!"

.... Then she started to make her way to leave the Winery.

Jan 2 2014, 09:29 PM #2

Nick was lurking around the front door of the winery looking completely out of place. This was not somewhere someone like him belonged, his ratty beat up jeans and old, much washed, much loved hoodie completely at odds with the suits, ties and dresses strolling past him. No one gave the teenager another glace after dismissing him with a turned up nose.

Except for the staff of course. They gave him death glares enough to freeze him in his sneakers, if he'd been paying any attention to him. Really that was the only reason he was hanging around, to see what kind of looks he could get and what kind of trouble he could stir up. Plus this was really a great hiding place as far as he was concerned. No one he knew would be here to recognize him and none of the fancily dressed people walking past him would care who he was. It was perfect, if a bit cold.

Or at least it was perfect, until he noticed the little hullabaloo going on just inside the door. It looked to him like the host was being a stiff again, arguing with a woman carrying a guitar case. Nick raised his eyebrows as he watched the woman's livid face through the door's window. I wonder if she'll just smack him over the head with it. He thought, wondering absently how much a guitar case would hurt to get hit with.

The woman turned sharply toward the door leaving the host scrambling to pick up his papers behind her. Unsure really why he was doing it but unable to help himself Nick grabbed the door and pulled it open for the woman with a little bow and a grin. "My lady." He mocked, lifting his head to show her his kidding grin, half expecting to get punched in the face. "Lovely performance. I think Jeeves over there very much enjoyed it." He threw the host a wink and stuck his tongue out at the glare he got in return before closing the door in the man's face.

Jan 2 2014, 10:25 PM #3

So disappointed, Jamie had really hoped to get a job playing at the Winery, even if it was only temporary or just a few nights a month; heck, at this point, Jamie would have taken it just once. Period. But to be dismissed and rejected like she was, it was so insulting. Jamie's guitar was about as precious as the Hope Diamond as far as she was concerned and about as much of a nightingale as the most experienced tenor performing for a paying audience. It was horrible and Jamie was very lucky to have thought about her actions before doing anything, otherwise she might have given the host of the Winery a sucker punch.

As it was, Jamie was just so frustrated with the way she'd been treated, leaving the Winery was the only option. She sneered a bit at the host one more time before exiting. At first, she really didn't pay much notice to the young man who had opened the door for her and called her a lady; her blood was boiling and her mind was on how disappointing and disgruntled she was by the host's behavior. As soon as the young man opened his mouth again though, Jamie turned to him sharply; probably making him think she was about to knock his head off, but instead said, "Well Jeeves can kiss my ass. I'm so... angry, disappointed, hurt... Ugh!"

It wasn't like Jamie to get this angry, but the situation with her career had hit a rather large brick wall and she was beginning to feel like she wasn't ever going to get noticed and begin making some serious money with it. She had been writing her songs and making demo tapes for so long, but it was now time for her to go out into the world and make her music known. But how could she accomplish that if people like those at the Winery treat her the way that she just got treated! It was so unfair! In a fit of rage, Jamie threw up her hands, nearly dropping her guitar case and shouted towards the Balzac Snobs, "Arghhh! I even put a dress on, you idiots!"

> Outfit <

Jan 2 2014, 10:53 PM #4

Nick didn't even flinch as the woman turned her anger on him. She was just venting, the words she said were enough to prove it. Angry, disappointed, hurt, this lady such does wear her heart on her sleeve. Nick thought. Not that he hadn't felt that way many times before, countless times before. He just didn't tell anyone. This lady not only told people, she showed it. It was enough to earn her a bit of instant respect from Nick and that was not something that happened often.

That bit of respect didn't stop him from making quips though. "I'm sure it would be Jeeve's lucky day to kiss your ass. Looks to me that guy's got a stick so far up his I'll bet he never sees any action." That was more then a bit brazen, even for Nick, but tonight he felt brave enough to take a chance. Besides, this lady looked like she could use a laugh.

He took an half step forward, hands reaching out automatically as she threw her hands up and he saw the guitar case dip. He may not be musical himself but Carter had- He'd had enough friends who loved their instruments that the idea of one being dropped still sent shivers up his spine. But the woman didn't drop it and he took a small breath of relief, straightened and stepped back, a flippant grin crossing his face at her last comment. "And what a beautiful dress it is. He commented, appreciatively. "It'd be a shame to waste it, would you like to ditch this place and get a drink?" He asked, offering her his arm. Yes, he was underage but it wasn't like he had to drink anything. Besides, he was old enough to look like he could drink, and that was all that mattered. So long as he didn't try to get anything hard no one would look at him twice. Besides, this lady looked like she could use a little alcohol right now.