Oct 18 2013, 06:58 PM #16

Nick looked at the variety of drinks behind the bar as Alex asked what drink he would want. But Nick really didn’t have a preference for drinks at this point. “I’ll.. uh.. yeah. The same.” He wasn’t being fussy at this point. He’d had too much to drink to take person preferences into consideration. Plus he didn’t want to end up ordering anything super expensive when Alex was the one paying for it. If she was willing to pay for an AMF for herself then she’d be able to buy one for Nick too. Nick knew it probably wasn’t going to be a good idea for him to drink much more; otherwise he was just going to end up a hideously hungover mess tomorrow morning.

“Tomorrow I will hate me. I’m glad I decided to give myself the day off.” One of the advantages of being your own boss. If he did go to work tomorrow the would probably have to give himself a stern talking to. Showing up to work smelling of booze, setting a bad example for other employees. Nick wasn’t sure how he came to be in control of a store, really, he was a pretty bad boss. If someone needed a day off then Nick didn’t say no, he felt bad for saying no. He didn’t care about the reasons why, he’d just cover their shift himself, even if it meant he was working 12 hours. It was one less person he had to pay for the day.

The drinks arrived and Nick took hold of his glass immediately. He knew he shouldn’t have had much more to drink, but the more he drank, the less inclined he was to stop himself from drinking. Nick had terrible self-control when he was sober, so drinking more just made things even worse until someone would forcibly take alcohol away from him and ban him from ordering more. Sometimes he was a little more sensible. But it was a rare thing. “It’s a good thing I don’t work in a bar otherwise I’d have ruined my liver by this point.”

Oct 26 2013, 07:46 PM #17

Alex looked to her side at Nick, a sweet small smile curled on her lips as she heard him tell the bartender he would have the same thing as she had ordered. Aha, so he did like that one then. Two points for her. He hadn't been lying about that drink, at least, she figured not since he ordered another one. "Score one for me." She was teasing, mostly talking to herself. He probably wouldn't even realize what she meant by that comment.

Smirking, she shook her head in amusement at him, listening to his comment about tomorrow. A chuckle passed her lips at the latter part of his statement. "Yes. That was a very good idea. Kudos to you for knowing better then to make yourself have to work tomorrow." A playful twinkle in her eye. She was joking obviously; as if he had known he would need the day off tomorrow. Though, she had to admit, that would be a cool super power - to be able to see into the future. Imagine all the things you would see, and knowing when you would need to adjust something in your daily routine to make something good happen or to avoid a bad situation. That would have been helpful so many times in her life.

As their drinks arrived, she took and held hers in between her fingers, spinning the glass around idly, not taking a drink quite yet as she listened to his next comment. A small laugh escaped her lips. "Cheers to that." She nodded before raising her glass and taking a decent sized gulp. "Plus, if you did. You'd have no reason to come and see me here either. And that would just make me sad." She teased but was actually serious, a cute fake pout formed on her lips at the end of her statement, as if this wasn't the first time he'd even come and visited her here. Hopefully it wouldn't be the last though.

Nov 1 2013, 10:06 AM #18

"I try to avoid work every day to be honest, I look at the clock every morning and think 'they'll probably be fine without me going in today' but then all I see in my head is the place either being looted or burning to the ground. I mean I trust the kids I hire but if I'm away for more than a day it feels like everything has gone to shit. But it's only because things are in different places. So I spend half the day just moving stuff back. Like they move a few boxes of old comics to somewhere they think is out of the way, and it bugs me, so I move them back."

It wasn't a very stressful job, working at the comic book store, but it was the most stressful work Nick had ever experienced. Although it was his only job. He could make mountains out of molehills, really. It was what he was best at. Not that he was ever angry about the small stuff, but it bugged him and he had to fix it and apparently ramble on to Alex about it when all they were doing was sitting having a drink together. "I mean this job is harder than mine is. But there's just small stuff that bugs the crap out of me." If a comic book was stored out of order? Nick would know. And he'd spend as long as it took to put it back in the right place.

"I would come here though when I wanted to get away from work. Like 'I'm fed up of the bar, I'm going to the bar.' And I'd leave work, and walk across the street and visit you here and be all 'Hi! Give drinks to me.' But if that happened I'd probably have like a liver transplant every year or something. And I don't like the idea of surgery so I should probably avoid opening a bar so I don't end up in an operating theatre." Not many people could make such a connection like that. 'I don't want to own a bar because I'm afraid of surgery.' But Nick overcomplicated things on a regular basis; he put way too much thought into things that didn't even matter and put too little thought into things that really did. Would he own a bar if he had the funds? Probably not because of all the reasons he listed. He went through a whole story about it. But give him a bigger decision and he'd just give a simple yes or no first and then think about the consequences later. How do you think he ended up owning a comic book store?

"So don't worry. I won't open another bar to run you out of business. Maybe I could open a bar in the corner of the store but then I think I'd have to ID everyone who came in and like 90% of the people who buy shit from me are under 21. Or they look it at least. It might bring more girls in, but then they'd scare all the nerds away." A catch-22 situation. A bar would bring girls but girls would scare away all the guys who wanted to buy comic books. Nick might gain revenue through his bar but he'd lose all his comic book sales. And probably get a lot of people throwing up on the comic books. So he'd have to hire more staff for the bar and someone to check IDs and security to get rid of rowdy customers... yeah, he'd probably stick to leaving the place as a comic book store.

Nov 1 2013, 11:16 PM #19

Alexandria sat on her stool, looking over at him, swiveling back and forth in her seat as she listened to him ramble on a bit about his store and not going into work. She didn't mind listening to him rant to her, she was a good listener and they were friend's now right? And that's what friends were there for. She could also understand his fears about the place going to hell without him there to watch over everything. When you run your own store, there was actually a lot of responsibility in that. "Oh I gotcha. It is normal to worry and to want things done a certain way."

For him to say her job was harder then his, she shook her head in disagreement. "That's not true. You have so much more responsibility then I do." She didn't believe her job was harder then his. It was just as hard a job as her's was. It was just in different ways. She just had to smile and mix drinks for people. Sure it helped to have some people skills, but being a business owner was definitely more stressful then what she did. At least, in her eye's was. "I'm pretty sure I told you this before. But I don't think I could do what you do." She said with a warm smirk. She admired him for being able to run his own store. "My job is easy compared to yours. You gotta train the people, and make sure they don't steal from you, and know all that business stuff." She paused for a second to take a sip of her drink, moistening her lips. "It's impressive. Really." Another warm smile curled her lips as she looked at him.

Tucking her pretend pout back in, she listening to him tell her how he'd still come to see her at the bar, even if he owned his own. Well that was reassuring, and she was glad to hear it. The O Club was probably way different then any bar he would open up anyways. Chuckling a bit at him, with an amused twinkle in her eye as he said the part about him coming in and demanding drinks. "That would regard a lot of drinking for that to happen." Bringing the blue mix drink back to her lips, she took a small sip. Letting out a soft breath as the burning sensation hit the back of her throat. "Yeah, I don't like the idea of you needing surgery cause of that either, cause that would mean I helped put you there." She smirked, tapping her finger idly against the glass.

Combing her dainty fingers of her free hand through her brunette locks, causing them to pull back from her face, only to fall back down to hit her shoulders. Listening to his idea about putting a small bar in the back corner of his room, she nibble on her bottom lip for no real reason. "That does present a problem. More girls is always nice I would presume, but it might pull from your actual comic book sales." She tapped her closed lips with her index finger, trying to think of a solution."Hm." After about thirty seconds, she gave up, shaking her head in defeat. "Yeah I got nothing. Sorry" She chuckled before adding, "I guess you'll just have to stick to comics." She shrugged before downing the rest of her drink.

Nov 26 2013, 12:46 AM #20

“It’s not that difficult. They just need to read the price tag and take the money. As long as they know basic math they’re good enough to work for me. And I try and hire people who actually like comic books, because they kind of helps too.” Not that Nick avoided hiring people who didn’t know anything, but it wasn’t his fault they couldn’t handle some of the questions they were asked about specific comic book runs. They applied for the job. If they didn’t know the difference between the Ultimate Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man they couldn’t blame Nick for not training them. The comic book universe was way too big for him to bother training people up. It was a job you did if you already liked comic books. You didn’t get into a job selling TVs if you knew nothing about TVs and didn’t own a TV. Just like if you didn’t drink, you probably wouldn’t decide to go work in a bar. If you didn’t like dogs you didn’t get a job as a dog walker.

“Sticking to comics is probably a better idea. If I put in a bar there would be people showing up who are social. We don’t really need social people in comic book stores. People come in to avoid being social.” It wasn’t true for the most part. Nick was generalising his customers when really a lot of them were happy to talk to anyone – but usually about comic books, or video games. Not just having a chat to anyone about anything. Nick was lucky with the fact that he was a nerd who could bullshit his way through any conversation if he needed to, but he was just a pretty talkative person in general. He could find anything to say about any subject, even if he wasn’t very clued up on the matter at home. He would just find something he could relate it to.

“I’ll just stick to comic books. I already think I drink too much. If I opened up a bar I would just end up dying from over-consumption of alcohol.” Nick already went drinking too much. He would end up in the hospital one of these days, making a fool of himself in front of one of the nurses. He was surprised he hadn’t broken anything yet. It would happen, one day. But maybe here and now Nick could change his ways and make a promise to himself that he wouldn’t drink anymore. He could stop everything right now, go teetotal and live a cleaner life and... no, that wasn’t going to happen, ever. Nick wouldn’t have anything to do with his time if he stopped drinking. What fun was there in being sober? Going out and not drinking sounded like it’d be super fun. He would have the best time being the designated driver every time he went out with someone. That sounded like a blast.

I mean, he could just try to drink less. But again, where’s the fun in that?

Dec 4 2013, 09:55 PM #21

Alex nodded as she heard Nick's response towards their little banter about who job was harder. He had a point, as long as the people weren't completely stupid, they could do that job. But that was the people that worked for him. His job being the store owner and manager was a bigger responsibility. Even if he inherited the place, being able to keep it up and profitable was impressive. "Yeah. But I was referring to your job. You need to know a little more then just basic math to run the place." She teased him, as she said 'your' she reached over and poked him playfully in the arm.

As they conversed about how it would be a better idea for him to just stick to comics, and not open a bar inside his store, she smiled at him. Even though they were just bullshiting and talking about nothing besides comic books and excessive amounts of drinking, she was enjoying herself. Nick had a fun, easy going personality that she enjoyed. As she downed the last of her drink, she pushed the empty glass away from her, so that her co-worker would see it. "Yeah. That's a good idea. Like I said, I don't like the idea of you dying from alcohol poisoning or having to get surgery due to liver failure. I'd feel terrible." She confirmed with a warm smirk.

As the bartender that replaced her came over, he looked to Alex then Nick and back to her before asking "You guys want another?" Alex looked to her side to see if Nick was finished or not with his drink before nodding at her co-worker. "Can I just get a shot of something? Vodka preferably? Hook me up with the good stuff." She told him, pointing to one of the higher dollar brands on the wall. She couldn't stand the cheap stuff most patrons got. "You want anything more?" She asked Nick, looking at him with her hazel eyes. She knew he had had a decent amount of alcohol already, considering she was the one that had been giving it to him all night til their last drink; but she didn't want to pressure him into having more then he wanted to. Plus alcohol poisoning was not on her list of fun ways to end the night.

Dec 8 2013, 01:48 AM #22

Maybe Nick had drunken a little too much by this point. Things were a little fuzzy. A little out of focus. A little tilty. He realised he was actually leaning off the side of his chair slightly, so once he corrected himself things weren’t quite as tilted, but that didn’t fix the fuzzy problem. Maybe he needed glasses. Although things were fine when he was sober, so he probably didn’t need glasses. He just needed to stop drinking so much on a night. She was kind of right about him needing to know more than just a little mathematics to run a store. It was pretty simple. Or at least in Nick’s mind it was. Maybe he was just thinking it wasn’t that big of a deal because he had just gotten used to it. It wasn’t like he’d explicitly learned how to run a store, it just kind of sunk in after years of working at the place and he ended up just knowing what to do when he was asked to take over. “I guess you’re right. You need basic math and amazingly good looks.” Nick grinned in the usual fashion that made him look like he was just plain stupid.

He knew he really shouldn’t have had much more to drink. Nick looked behind the bar at all of the glasses and different drinks available. When Nick thought he had been drinking too much, you knew he must have had a lot. “Maybe I shouldn’t.” He leaned down on the bar slightly, folding his arms over and letting his head rest on them. Nick had previously shut his eyes, but once his head was down he opened them, seeing several water marks on the bar and a few crumbs from whatever snack the person previously at this seat had eaten. “Ew.” He raised his head and looked at the undersides of his arms, seeing several small wet patches on the sleeves and frowning slightly. “This is the list the grossest feeling.” Nick hated resting his arms on stuff when it was wet. It always happened whenever he went out drinking. He was the messiest drunk in the most unconventional of ways. It wasn’t like he spilled drinks over himself or he dropped his food everywhere – he rested his arms on wet bars or tripped and fell into puddles on the walk home. Nick was dumb.

“Maybe one more drink.” Nick dropped his hands into his lap with a very exasperated sigh. He caved. “I mean just because of my bad luck with my arms and everything.” He raised his arms to show off his patches again and dropped his arms, rolling his sleeves up to his elbows. “Obviously I deserve a drink because of the traumatic experience I’ve just gone through.” Nick nodded defiantly. It had been decided. He wanted a drink, but he didn’t know what he wanted. Nick was terrible. He didn’t want a drink, but he did want a drink, even though he knew he shouldn’t really drink. This was starting to get confusing. He needed a drink. He looked at the bartender and Nick was adamant this would be his last drink. “I’ll have the same, I guess.” This was it, Nick. No more. You’d start doing stupid stuff. And that was drunken stupid stuff. He’s already stupid as can be when he’s sober, alcohol will not help the situation in any way.

Dec 31 2013, 09:47 PM #23

Alexandria listened to Nick's comment about the requirements for running a store and she just smiled at him, letting a chuckle escape past her lips as he smiled his dorky grin towards her. His smile was infectious, she couldn't help but laugh. Or maybe it was the fact that the alcohol was starting to take effect, and more things had become funny. Maybe it was a mixture of the two. Yeah, that was probably it.

As the bartender asked them if they wanted more, she looked to Nick, waiting for his answer, only to find him resting his arms down on the bar top and lean over to lay his head on top of them. Hearing him say maybe he shouldn't, she smiled affectionately at him. Yeah, maybe he shouldn't. She didn't want him to pass out at the bar. There would be no way, for her to get him home if he passed out. He wasn't a big guy, but she knew she wouldn't be able to support his drunk ass, if he passed out. Though she could always get one the bouncers to help her and get him into a cab, she supposed. "You don't have to." She commented nonchalantly, shaking her head.

Just as the words left her lips, Nick snapped his head up from his arms, and sat straight up. A disgusted look crossed his face with a just as displeased comment to match. Alex's hazel eyes traveled from his face down to his lifted arms. A confused expression flashing over her own features. "What is?" She asked, curious, wondering what happened. It didn't take long for her to make the connection though. "Ohhh...yeahhh." She had worked in the field long enough to know the problem. That was gross and also why she never usually leaned fully on a bar, unless she knew it was clean. Speaking of the bar being clean, that might have partially been her fault. She hadn't noticed the debris the previous customer had left before Nick came along. "Yeah. One more sounds like a good idea. Plus that might be my fault, so I kinda owe you." She smiled apologetic at him.

Her sheepish smile soon turned around to a warmer one, as he teased her about how he obviously deserved one more of the traumatic experience. "Oh, obviously." She teased back, her smile turning sarcastic and playful. She rocked on the stool, to the side and nudged him jokingly with her shoulder. The bartender nodded when Nick announced he'd have the same. Pulling out to clean shot glasses from under the counter and placed them on top. He then grabbed the vodka Alex had been pointing at from off the back shelf and poured them both a shot. "Two shots. That'll be 6 bucks." the guy said. Alex gladly handed over the cash to her co-worker before taking the two glasses, and handed one to Nick. Raising her shot up to his in a cheers, "Too new friends." she said with a pretty smile, and clinked her glass to his before shooting back the liquor.