Yard Sard

The area around Cochise High School is a quiet, sleepy place, composed almost entirely of small-to-medium-sized houses, with a couple apartment buildings on the far edges. The architecture of the area has a rustic feel to it, featuring lots of stucco and pastel colors, and many of the houses are extremely similar in floor plan due to being largely designed by one architect during a period of growth in the city, lending the area a feeling of sameness. The neighborhood exudes a friendly atmosphere between its twists and turns and tree-lined streets, and indeed the people in the area are known for their hospitality and welcoming nature to those around them, helping their neighbors out whenever necessary.
Pippin
Winner

November 3rd, 2015, 4:14 am #11

((Super sorry this took so long! For whatever reason it just kept on escaping me, whenever I tried to write it ;-; ))

Mia was always a little worried whenever Pepper was around new people, particularly if said new people had animals with them. He had always been the more excitable of her two dogs, and given he had now encountered three new people and one new dog, she’d been almost certain he’d go slightly mental around them. Thankfully, it seemed as though this run had taken more out of Pepper than she’d assumed, as he seemed content to just sit by Mia’s side, tail wagging and tongue lolling out. Mia absent-mindedly continue to stroke his head as she talked with the two others.

She did have to frown a little as Jane attempted to haggle for the price of the sweater. It seemed a little unnecessary to Mia; ten bucks wasn’t a ridiculously steep price to be asking for, after all. She guessed ‘the customer was always right’, and all that, but eh. It still seemed a little rude. Maybe that was why she never, ever wanted to work in retail.

Whatever. It wasn’t worth getting too worked up about, really. Mia focused instead on what Nathan had been telling her. She giggled as she imagined exactly what she’d look like in one of those sweaters.

“Haha, man, I don’t like, y’know, judging books by covers, but if I saw myself wearing that at school, I don’t think I’d wanna be friends with myself!”

Mia picked up the copy of Left Behind that Nathan had mentioned. It told her absolutely nothing about what was inside, but the anti-recommendation made her intrigued, more than repulsed. Mia hardly ever read for fun; hell, she hardly ever read for school either. There just wasn’t enough time in the day for reading when she had to do literally anything else. Still though…

“Man, now I wanna pick this up and see just how bad it could actually be.” Mia said, grinning. “You know you’re sending me down a dark path, right? You got any other recommendations so I’m not tempted by this scourge upon literacy?”

Mia really had no idea when she’d even be able to read any of the books scattered on the table in front of her. Maybe on a long, boring car journey she could catch a few chapters or something.
[+] spoiler
Lyra Doyle-Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky Land Ho
Current Thread: Lo Mein Event - ?Whatever you need, I've got you covered!?
Katie Agustien-If you wanna start a fight, you better throw the first punch, make it a good one Bastille
Current Thread: he let me set fire to a fleet of ships when no-one else would - ?Maybe we can trade. I get to watch you dance, you get to watch me work out.?
Stepney Cruz-I'm taking back the crown, I'm all dressed up and naked, I see what's mine and take it Memes
Current Thread: Clinging to Loss - ?Didja know this place is supposed to be haunted??
Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money Keane
Current Thread: Generation Loss - ?Oh, and hey, don?t worry ?bout earlier, it?s all cool. I think you?d probably have been hurt worse than me if we?d collided, anyways.?
Aurelien Valter-It's deep in their bones, they'll run into smoke when the fire is fierce Football
Current Thread: I'M A SHARK, I'M A SHAAARK, SUCK MY DIIIIICK, I'M A SHAAARK - ?Goodbye, friend. I will miss you.?
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V4!
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus)
Current location-Paint it Black-DECEASED-Neck broken by Maxwell Lombardi
Weapons-Wallet with German marks, Yatagan, guitar, Savage Model 1907 (.32 ACP)

V5!
B004-Owen Kay-?I don?t... don?t want to die...?-Weapons: Table Leg, Rusty Golf Club-Never Truly Had A Chance

G041-Amy Bachelor-Mike, I... I don?t want to--Weapon: Blackjack-Can't Live On Hope Alone

B024-Francis St. Ledger-?Megan, just... just fuckin? listen to me.?-Weapon: Insulated Blanket-Crossed The Line

V6!

G021-Mia Rose-You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong
Died in: Elapsam Semel Occasionem Non Ipse Potest Iuppiter Reprehendere
Weapon: Uzi-Pro

G034-Astrid Tate-So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Died in: End of the Line
Weapon: Pickaxe

G006-Bryony Adams-Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Died in: eternitybox
Current Weapon: Deck of playing cards, broken easel leg.
[+] spoiler

Owen, Francis and Amy, all by Mimi

Amy Bachelor, by Violent-Medic

Owen Kay, by Un-Persona

Amy Bachelor, by Mimi

Amy Bachelor, by TurtleTyrant
[+] spoiler
Garren Mortimer-Now you can't get mad, I'm only getting started, I won't blackout
[+] spoiler
Beatrice Briggs and Timothy "Tim" Karim
Nothing In My Way Pippi Fontaine-I'll float on endlessly, senses eluding me, this long horizon to this open sea.
Jamie Mittelman-We will meet you where the lights are, the defenders, of the faith we are
Clover Crescent-Why would I waste another day whilst life just passes by?
Castlevania Ada Bentley-Save your cheers and my applause, I never was worth fighting for
Richard Potter-But if I had one chance to freeze time, and stand still and soak in everything, I'd choose right now
Kerry Gray-We'll finish what we started, so promise me that we'll be the Lionhearted
Marshall Nichols-Maybe that's how books get written, maybe that's why songs get sung, maybe we are the unlucky ones
Gregory "Greg" Gateshead-Built an empire of sound, as the bridges were falling down
Candice Bailey-I feel I can fly, I'm on 678 cloud 9, and ain't nothin gonna stop me
Patty English-We're all in the same boat, staying afloat for the moment
Ophelia Wright-If you're dreaming what I'm dreaming, close your eyes and feel at home
Marina-Cassandra Gro?-And we will never be alone again, 'cause it doesn't happen every day
Boyd Adkinson - And the lights, they glow, like I just lost the world war, and the scene slips away to the evenness I fake
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017

backslash
Mr. Danya

November 4th, 2015, 4:09 pm #12

Nathan shrugged at Jane's reaction, not overly bothered. "Five bucks, sure. We're trying to get rid of the stuff more than to make money." It wasn't like they were expecting anyone to want to drop a lot on Nana's old things to begin with. They'd probably have to resort to donating or just giving away the leftovers when they were done here.

He grinned back at Mia as she examined the book. "I mean, if I can't convince you that it's not worth it, you just might have to experience it for yourself. But if you really don't want it, we've got..." He moved over to her side to look over what they had again. "Let's see, lots of westerns, some of those romances where everyone on the cover is half-naked..." And he was pretty sure those had belonged to his mom once upon a time and had just been left at Nana's house, but Mom wasn't admitting it.

"Some recipe books, if you're into cooking. Dunno about H. G. Wells or anything like that, sorry Jane. Lots of old Reader's Digest collections, so there might be something you're interested in somewhere in those."
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] spoiler
V5:
G063 Natali Greer was just unlucky.
B047 Marcus Leung lost his way. (Adopted from Solomir.)

V6:
B001 Min-jae Parker is locked away.
B021 Crist?bal Morales let his guard down.
G017 Raina Rose got washed away.
G003 Bridgette Sommerfeld got a shock. (Adopted from Aloha.)
G029 Georgia Lee Day went home. (Adopted from frogue.)
Nathan Lovegrove was left behind.

V7 Pregame:
Myles Roux is considering his options.
Dolores Upton is exploring the past.
Andy Silverman is balling out.
Siyanda Nagi is on the run.
Mercy Ames is passing judgment.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Pippin
Winner

January 16th, 2016, 5:07 am #13

“Every bad thing you say about this tempts me more and more. It’s like the Pandora’s box of literature at this point.”

Mia wasn’t quite able to suppress a giggle, as she imagined opening the book to be greeted by a host of demons and ghouls and stuff, all spouting terrible prose and flouting every grammar rule in existence.

… Actually, that would make a pretty decent read all by itself. If only she had any skill at writing fiction at all.

Mia tucked the book under her arm. She had to admit, she really wanted to know just how awful it actually was. And even if she didn’t read it, what did it matter? It wasn’t as though she’d spent her entire life’s savings on this thing, after all. Quickly checking what little money she had on her, she guessed she had just about enough to buy something else. And why not? Again; she wasn’t going to be forcing her family out of their home because she bought two books at a yard sale. Even if she never ended up reading the book herself, maybe someone at home could get a laugh or two out of it.

Turning to look at the pile of books Nathan had gestured towards, Mia skimmed over the titles. She failed to control her giggling again when she reached the romance novels, the impeccably good looking and overwhelmingly white main characters wearing clothes that were torn in precisely the most scandalous of areas. Aside from that though, the only things that really caught her eye were the cook books. Hand on heart, Mia knew that she’d never find enough time to earnestly start learning to cook properly, but hey, maybe it would be useful someday. No matter what she chose to do after school, she’d have to cook for herself. Unless her swimming career raked in enough money for her to buy a mansion, butler, maid and cook. That’d be nice.

Mia also had no idea what would be the best recipe book for her in terms of the food contained inside, so she went for what was clearly the second best option, picking up the book with the cute girl on the front cover. Placing it alongside Left Behind under her arm, Mia quickly checked the time on her iPod. Hmmm. She was almost veering of schedule. She’d have to make up for the break in her run anyways when she got back home too. It sucked, because she was enjoying talking with Nathan, but there would be other chances to do so, surely.

“Yo, Nathan!” Mia waved the two books in his general direction. “I think I’ve got everything I want. How much is this all gonna cost?”
[+] spoiler
Lyra Doyle-Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky Land Ho
Katie Agustien-If you wanna start a fight, you better throw the first punch, make it a good one Bastille
Current Thread: he let me set fire to a fleet of ships when no-one else would - ?Maybe we can trade. I get to watch you dance, you get to watch me work out.?
Stepney Cruz-I'm taking back the crown, I'm all dressed up and naked, I see what's mine and take it Memes
Current Thread: Clinging to Loss - ?Didja know this place is supposed to be haunted??
Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money Keane
Current Thread: Generation Loss - ?Oh, and hey, don?t worry ?bout earlier, it?s all cool. I think you?d probably have been hurt worse than me if we?d collided, anyways.?
Aurelien Valter-It's deep in their bones, they'll run into smoke when the fire is fierce Football
Current Thread: I'M A SHARK, I'M A SHAAARK, SUCK MY DIIIIICK, I'M A SHAAARK - ?Goodbye, friend. I will miss you.?
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V4!

V5!
B004-Owen Kay-?I don?t... don?t want to die...?-Weapons: Table Leg, Rusty Golf Club-Never Truly Had A Chance

G041-Amy Bachelor-Mike, I... I don?t want to--Weapon: Blackjack-Can't Live On Hope Alone

B024-Francis St. Ledger-?Megan, just... just fuckin? listen to me.?-Weapon: Insulated Blanket-Crossed The Line

V6!

G021-Mia Rose-You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

G006-Bryony Adams-Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
[+] spoiler

Owen Kay, by Un-Persona

Amy Bachelor, by Mimi

[+] spoiler
Garren Mortimer-Now you can't get mad, I'm only getting started, I won't blackout
[+] spoiler
Nothing In My Way Pippi Fontaine-I'll float on endlessly, senses eluding me, this long horizon to this open sea.
Jamie Mittelman-We will meet you where the lights are, the defenders, of the faith we are
Castlevania Ada Bentley-Save your cheers and my applause, I never was worth fighting for
Richard Potter-But if I had one chance to freeze time, and stand still and soak in everything, I'd choose right now
Kerry Gray-We'll finish what we started, so promise me that we'll be the Lionhearted
Marshall Nichols-Maybe that's how books get written, maybe that's why songs get sung, maybe we are the unlucky ones
Gregory "Greg" Gateshead-Built an empire of sound, as the bridges were falling down
Candice Bailey-I feel I can fly, I'm on 678 cloud 9, and ain't nothin gonna stop me
Ophelia Wright-If you're dreaming what I'm dreaming, close your eyes and feel at home
Marina-Cassandra Gro?-And we will never be alone again, 'cause it doesn't happen every day
Boyd Adkinson - And the lights, they glow, like I just lost the world war, and the scene slips away to the evenness I fake
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017

backslash
Mr. Danya

January 16th, 2016, 8:05 pm #14

"I think those are three dollars each. Does that sound alright?" Nathan wasn't entirely confident in his ability to estimate prices after Jane's reaction, but at least he'd already known that he didn't have a future in retail. Mia seemed less likely to quibble about a few dollars here and there too, nothing against Jane.

"Hope Left Behind is worth it. You really don't know what you're getting yourself into." He made sure to keep his tone light to make it clear that he was teasing; as much as he'd disliked the book, he didn't want to just totally trash it. Surely someone out there had found it enjoyable. Heck, Mia herself might find something in it that grabbed her attention.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] spoiler
V5:

V6:

V7 Pregame:
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Pippin
Winner

January 19th, 2016, 9:19 pm #15

“Uh… yeah! Sure, that sounds good to me!”

Mia hadn’t bought a book since… well, actually, Mia wasn’t sure she’d ever personally bought a book herself. Reading was cool and all, and she’d had the whole ‘read a book, stay in school, don’t do a drug’ thing drilled into her since she was a kid, but it just wasn’t something that interested her that much, normally. She wasn’t sure how much they would normally cost, but three dollars each sounded good at least, and was in her current price range too.

Anything was better than having to pay your entire life savings for college textbooks anyway.

Trying to juggle the books, Pepper’s leash and her money wasn’t an easy task, and for one horrible second, she was certain everything was about to fall to the floor, but she managed to hand the money over to Nathan eventually.

“Here you go! We’ll see what I think of it, but I’m pretty sure the last book I read was The Very Hungry Caterpillar, so my tastes aren’t exactly the greatest!”

Mia laughed as she checked the time again. Okay, she really needed to be heading off in the next minute or so, and she imagined Pepper felt the same way too.

“Hey, Nathan, I should probably be heading off soon-ish. Gotta keep a schedule, y’know? Plus, I think poor Pepper’s feeling a little tired, aren’t you, you big softy? But we should totally meet up again sometime soon, if you’re not busy!”
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V4!

V5!

V6!

[+] spoiler

Owen Kay, by Un-Persona

Amy Bachelor, by Mimi

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

backslash
Mr. Danya

January 25th, 2016, 1:17 am #16

"Yeah, sure!" Mia's exuberance was sort of contagious, and Nathan barely took the time to mull her suggestion over before agreeing. "I've got dance practice after school most days, but we could grab an ice cream or something sometime!"

He deposited the money Mia handed him in the box they were using as an improvised cash register and ignored the sly, knowing look Michelle was giving him. Titan whined a bit as his new friends started to leave, but Nathan shushed him with some scratching behind the ears.

"You can let me know what you think of the books then, how about that?"
[+] spoiler
V5:

V6:

V7 Pregame:
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Pippin
Winner

January 27th, 2016, 11:21 pm #17

The implications of Nathan asking her out for ice cream were completely lost on Mia for the moment. She just smiled broadly at Nathan’s suggestion, absentmindedly stroking Pepper’s head thanks to the powers of suggestion.

“Sure, sounds great! I’ve got a pretty busy schedule too, uh, most days, but I’ll make sure I find some time for that! And to read the books! Homework can wait a day, right?”

Mia grinned once more, before ruffling Pepper’s head for a final time and patting his side.

“Alright, up you get, lazy butt! It’s home time! I’ll catch you later Nathan, hopefully soon!”

With one final wave goodbye, Mia strolled out of Nathan’s yard, Pepper right beside her. The first thing she thought as she rounded the corner was that she really should have asked for a bag. It really wasn’t easy carrying these books under her arm and trying to run.

The second thing was the sudden realisation of the potential meaning behind Nathan’s offer, and Mia was left feeling very flustered and confused all the way home.

((Mia Rose continued in All in the Golden Afternoon))
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V4!

V5!

V6!

[+] spoiler

Owen Kay, by Un-Persona

Amy Bachelor, by Mimi

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

backslash
Mr. Danya

January 28th, 2016, 7:40 pm #18

Nathan spent the rest of the afternoon greeting the occasional neighbor who came to investigate the yard sale and fending off Michelle's teasing questions.

((Nathan Lovegrove continued elsewhere))
[+] spoiler
V5:

V6:

V7 Pregame:
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

The Burned Handler
Mr. Danya

April 27th, 2016, 2:48 am #19

At some point in all that, Jane left.

((Jane Madison continued elsewhere - not much of a post, I know, but she's been in these two threads for months and I should get her moving!))
MurderWeasel getting impatient wrote:Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.
wrote:18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!
wrote:16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene
[+] spoiler
wrote:11:55 Zarina turns out I work best with people when most of the people are dead
wrote:18:30 Slam Well we don't really do showers in the UK
wrote:05:57 *** Christian joined #sotf
05:58 shotgunkid oh crap
wrote:05:54 frogue i can be a time consuming process!
wrote:16:47 Irene "let it sit for half an hour, it's better when it's not so cold" he said.
16:47 Irene well...
16:48 Irene it exploaded.
16:48 Irene all over my hands.
Gianni no wrote:15:54 Aloha Leg cramps happened suddenly and i can't move X_X
15:55 Gianni wb :3
wrote:21:20 *** Persy joined #sotf
21:21 Gianni Hey Persy!
21:21 Namira my mutant alchemist
wrote:21:31 Pancapples [The weather] Was beautiful today.
21:33 Solitair oh no
wrote:18:48 Ruggawork Who doesn't want to rape Bro
wrote:17:30 Ohm Sweet, I'm using then
wrote:14:18 Wes 'm so hungry ;c
14:18 Wes :c8
14:18 Wes...
14:18 Wes fuck it
14:18 mib_7zyd33 That's not what you're supposed to do to food.
14:19 Imehal Nah, that's kinda par for the course around here.
14:19--- Ohm is away (Ew)
wrote:14:50Pancapples I kinda miss the Crusades now.
Bad Ohm! wrote:18:51*** RC quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
18:51 Ohmfg Yay!
Laur doesn't like people being in chat wrote:18:33 Laurels Agh, people are here
18:33*** Laurels quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Germany vs. Germany! wrote:18:47 RC I should send my list of ideas to SOTF_Help once I get rid of the dumb ones on the list
18:48 Bikriki so you want to send them an empty list?
wrote:19:40 uyugin taking bets on who will be the big douche in v6
19:40 Kilmarnock Actually I'm going with Laur.
wrote:14:01 Kilmarnock Girl!Slam was cute I guess.
wrote:11:29 Naft Dude uncool
11:29 Naft I was talking about conceptual penises and you made the penises real
wrote:13:59 Solitair I love seeing people get mentally broken