frogue
Winner

August 18th, 2016, 2:01 am #11

Johnny shook his head, feeling himself getting pissed off.

“Look…” he faltered for her name “…you. Like, I’m sorry, but that’s some bullshit, okay? You just wanna hide here, hoping someone else is gonna come along and solve everything?”

He didn’t want to upset the poor girl, but at the same time it was better to hurt her feelings than to leave her here alone for someone to come along and hurt her who knows what way.

“Is that how ya solve all your problems? Ya just wait around and hope they’ll fix themselves. I’m sorry, I am, but that is just… look, that’s just fuckin’ stupid, okay?”

The sour, old taste of the water in the baths was still in Johnny’s mouth, and at that moment he wanted nothing more than to clean his teeth. In lieu of that being an option, he pulled his cigarettes from his pocket as he spoke, and tore off the clear plastic packaging from the fresh, unsullied pack. He opened the top, pulled the foil from the front and tossed it into one of the tubs. It bobbed on the surface.

When he flicked the bottom of the pack, one cigarette jumped out further than the others, and Johnny pulled this out of the pack, then turned it around and replaced it, upside down so he knew which one it was. This would be his lucky cigarette, and Johnny would be careful with it. He’d need all the luck he could get.

“Look, you don’t need to be rescued okay, we can rescue ourselves? I mean, you’re lookin’ at Raina fucking Rose here, biggest brain in Arizona! Ya wanna try and find a science question this lady doesn’t know the answer to, we’re gonna be here all night. All day. Ya know, whichever…”

Johnny put a cigarette in his mouth, lit it and inhaled deeply. He felt better instantly, and thanked God for the blessing that was nicotine.

“If ya wanna get out of here, I promise ya your chances are ten thousand times better with us than they are all by your lonesome, and if ya wanna find somewhere to hide then I promise ya we can find ya somewhere better than this shithole, okay?”

Raina was giving him a look of disapproval, but Johnny thought it was more likely regarding the smoking than the plan. He hoped so, anyhow.

He held the pack out to her with a crooked grin, his cigarette hanging from his bottom lip.

“Hey Ray, did ya want one? Risk of dying from lung cancer just got a whole lot lower…”

Espi
Winner

August 18th, 2016, 6:15 pm #12

Alice winced at Johnny's harsh comments. Did he think she hadn't considered that? It wasn't like dying alone was appealing to her, but if she was going to die here, did it really matter where or how? Eventually she'd have to leave, according to the so-called rules; the Danger Zone thing would force her out.

As for the rest..."I'm sure Raina is brilliant, I really am. But can she figure out how to get us out of here when, as we speak, these people are watching and listening?" Alice said, softly, glancing up at a glint of shiny glass near the room's corner.

Her gaze moved to the ground, and she continued, "I just don't think I'd be able to do anything to help even if there were some kind of plan. I'm not that smart or anything..." Alice gave a wry grin. She knew her limits; she didn't know much about engineering, wiring, explosives, technology, geography or anything that might help. She could play music and draw with a tablet and write crappy fanfiction; that was about it.

Still, the temptation to not be alone was strong. Surely she could find a compromise. "I guess if, you really want me to come with you, I could tag along. But only until we find a place where people aren't likely to look for us. To hide out, you know. Then I'm staying, with or without you guys."

She held up the coil of bunting. "This is what I got assigned, so...I doubt it's much help. I don't even know why I kept it, really." Alice shrugged.
V5: Cut Short
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

V6: Broken Down
Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

V7: Unprepared
Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

backslash
Mr. Danya

August 18th, 2016, 7:03 pm #13

Well shit. Was that a challenge, Alice?

Logically, Raina knew that Alice wasn't doubting her so much as the terrible, impossible circumstances they'd been thrown into. Nothing rankled her more than having her intelligence and capability questioned, though, and she almost unconsciously drew herself up taller in response.

"There's always something to do," she said. Not that impressive a boast, but hell. If David Bowman could outsmart a psychotic computer in the deep space, she could outsmart a bunch of assholes in a control tower, or wherever said assholes who had dumped them here were located. "I don't know what, yet. But we'll think of something." She doubted that either Johnny or Alice would get the reference, given how few people her age had even seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, much less read the novel, but those were the most important words in the book: But he would think of something.

"You should hold onto that," Raina indicated the bunting string Alice had been given. "You never know what it might come in handy for. No wasting resources." Right, they had resources. A whole island full of resources, and potential allies, and plenty of time to come up with a plan. It was early yet.

Suddenly filled with purpose, Raina uncrossed her arms and went to pick up the bag that had been left by the tub she'd woken up in. It was damp, thanks to the water puddling on the floor, and she almost cringed as she thought of what might be inside, but she picked it up and shouldered it.

"Stick with us as long as you like. We'll find somewhere safe - and dry - to plan things out, and you can stay there or not. But let's get the hell out of here, I hate this place."

She also gave Johnny a Look™ and eyed the offered cigarettes with distate. "You know I don't smoke, Johnny, and I'm not going to start now. We're not down and out just yet." She decided not to address his joke about the lung cancer, or their diminished chances of contracting such. That sort of thing was counterproductive. Raina Rose wasn't going to die here, and if she had her way, Johnny and everybody else was going to live a long, full life, with enough time for her to bitch about his poor hygiene and smoking habits forever more.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] spoiler
V5:
G063 Natali Greer was just unlucky.
B047 Marcus Leung lost his way. (Adopted from Solomir.)

V6:
B001 Min-jae Parker is locked away.
B021 Crist?bal Morales let his guard down.
G017 Raina Rose got washed away.
G003 Bridgette Sommerfeld got a shock. (Adopted from Aloha.)
G029 Georgia Lee Day went home. (Adopted from frogue.)
Nathan Lovegrove was left behind.

V7 Pregame:
Myles Roux is considering his options.
Dolores Upton is exploring the past.
Andy Silverman is balling out.
Siyanda Nagi is on the run.
Mercy Ames is passing judgment.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

frogue
Winner

August 20th, 2016, 10:25 am #14

Raina’s face was a picture of motherly disappointment, which all in all wasn’t bad, Johnny thought. To be disappointed in someone you needed to’ve expected more of them, and the fact that Raina expected anything of him was a positive, as far as he was concerned.

He pocketed the pack with a shrug, then turned back to the girl in the doorway.

“So not that Raina like, y’know, needs a man to validate her opinion or whatever, but she’s right. About everything.”

Johnny gave the girl a little smile, hoping he looked reassuring.

“It’s not great, obviously, but we’re not fucked yet, yeah? We’ve got options. We’ve got, y’know, resources, like she said. Shit, I haven’t even checked my bag yet, right? Maybe there’s a fuckin’… jetski or something in there, yeah? We don’t know.”

The girl was frowning, and Johnny sensed he was losing her. He needed to refocus.

“Look, Raina’s right that we’ll think of something, ‘cause that’s just what people do, yeah? She’s right that we shouldn’t be wasting shit, ‘cause like, obviously, right? And she’s right about getting the fuck outta here.”

He waved an arm expansively, indicating the wet, puddled floor; the creepy baths filled with their ancient water (and who knew just what the fuck the water was filled with); the dark, oppressive atmosphere of the room. Johnny hated the damp. He was a child of the desert, and even the swimming pool changing rooms he hadn’t liked. This? This room was a fucking nightmare.

“Look at the fucking place. I mean if you’re so fucking doom and gloom, what you’re saying to me is that this is the place you wanna die, right? In here? I mean we’re not gonna die, obviously, we got this, but like…”

The thread of the conversation was getting away from him again. Focus, Johnny.

“This places sucks some donkey dick, okay? Fat old hairy donkey dick. Fuck this place, let’s go be somewhere else.”

Espi
Winner

August 22nd, 2016, 8:35 pm #15

While Johnny's metaphor was...colorful, it did convey the point. The room was cold, damp and musty, and the tubs of water did not look appealing, or sanitary. Perhaps moving on would be better than staying here.

These two seemed confident, Alice wondered how much of it was bravado. Surely they couldn't be this sure that they'd beat this organization? The group had been doing this for almost a decade, and the last incident had gone off with no rescues or survivors beyond the 'winner'. If they were going to live, Alice doubted it'd be the acts of teenagers that would save them.

Still, no point further arguing. Johnny seemed enthusiastic about Raina's potential, and though Alice didn't know the other girl very well, she seemed to be reasonably intelligent. She'd not run into anyone else thus far, so perhaps people might not be as violent as she'd expected, at least not right away. The 24-hour deadline would change that, most likely. Though Alice was pretty sure they'd never acted on it before, if nobody ended up dying they'd probably kill at least some people, even if they didn't blow up the entire class.

Besides, what was the worst that could happen? If they wanted to kill her, she'd already be dead.

"Alright..." Alice quirked an attempt at a smile, without much success. "If you guys really want my company, I'll come along." She stepped out of the room and held the door open for Raina and Johnny.
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

backslash
Mr. Danya

August 22nd, 2016, 9:15 pm #16

If Raina was physically capable of rolling her eyes any harder at Johnny, she'd be able to fund her own experiments involving centrifugal force. He had a point, though, and Alice seemed to be coming around, so that was that.

"Good, warm fuzzies all around. Now let's beat it." She gave Alice a nod of thanks as the other girl held the door open for her and stepped into the (also-flooded) hallway. "Looks like we're going up; come on."

She led the way to the stairs at the end of the dark, flooded hall, doing her best to ignore the various noises and snatches of possible conversations she heard from behind the other closed doors.

((Raina Rose continued in Needles and Pins))
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] spoiler
V5:
G063 Natali Greer was just unlucky.
B047 Marcus Leung lost his way. (Adopted from Solomir.)

V6:
B001 Min-jae Parker is locked away.
B021 Crist?bal Morales let his guard down.
G017 Raina Rose got washed away.
G003 Bridgette Sommerfeld got a shock. (Adopted from Aloha.)
G029 Georgia Lee Day went home. (Adopted from frogue.)
Nathan Lovegrove was left behind.

V7 Pregame:
Myles Roux is considering his options.
Dolores Upton is exploring the past.
Andy Silverman is balling out.
Siyanda Nagi is on the run.
Mercy Ames is passing judgment.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

frogue
Winner

August 23rd, 2016, 8:23 am #17

There was a bag lying in a puddle near Johnny's feet. He hefted it onto his shoulder, offering a silent prayer as he did so that nothing inside be damaged by the water, and that it not be too heavy.

On one count, at least, it seemed God was listening.

He clasped the girl's upper arm as he passed her, heading out the door.

"Good to have you along, kid!"

At some point he would really need to learn her name.

[Johnny Ray McKay continued in Needles and Pins]

Espi
Winner

August 25th, 2016, 7:30 pm #18

Alice gave a weak smile at Johnny as he passed. She turned around to look into the damp, foul room. While she was glad that she wasn't spending the last of her days in there, she still worried. There was the very real chance people were already dying, or would be soon.

She didn't want to die. It was such a naïve, obvious concept, but applied so aggressively to this situation. She was scared. But fear accomplished nothing. She had to be brave. Wasn't that what people said? Courage is bravery in spite of fear? So she had to be smart, resourceful, and brave.

Also sneaky. But for now, she'd stick to this group. Likely a larger group would be a more risky target. So sticking with people early on, when the killers haven't got as much resolve, seemed a safe bet. She could always slip away if things went poorly, if they got into danger.

Alice closed the door behind her, and started making her way back up the hallway with the other two.

((Alice Baker continued in Needles and Pins))
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt