Dr. Adjective
Cannon Fodder

January 20th, 2015, 4:50 pm #136

I figured I should get around to this eventually, posting from an iPhone so it's going to be a bit sloppy looking I imagine, but hey. Also seconding what Ciel said, the set-up looks pretty rad.

Oswald Howell
Probably had a more run of the mill name at birth, but changed it on account of wanting to sound more fancy than he really is. Child of a single mother (knows who his dad is, he just up and left), not terribly well off, feels like he doesn't belong in Kingman, wants to move to a big city when he can. Almost goes out of his way not to completely fit in - not antisocial, but makes a point of having obscure tastes and letting everyone else know how much cooler the things he likes are. A bit of a douchey hipster, really, not a bad person, just, a bit obnoxious. Primary unpleasant character trait would be holier-than-thou attitude to being straight edge and vegan. Probably a musician of some kind, I'm still undecided as to whether he'll be any good. Definitely will idolise somebody no one else has ever heard of though. Appearance-wise, I see him as a little below average height and skinny; not much fat or muscle, kind of unfit. Tries to follow alternative fashion, probably has his hair dyed the majority of the time. Can't decide if he'll be contrarian by being pro-democrat or just independent, but he'll definitely have some scorn for the republican majority.
[+] Spoiler
Shipping Thread!

Heather Klein is channelling her aggression into constructive outlets.
  • Seems a bit of a neat-freak, seemingly needs everything of hers to be "perfect"
  • Does wrestling, good at grappling... but she's got a mean right hook too
  • Produces aggrowave music, releases it anonymously, never speaks of it; idolises Klayton, Bret Autrey and Daniel Graves
  • Plays keys and drums pretty good, dabbles in guitar
  • Speaks pretty good German, no comprend? romance languages
  • Budding interest in fashion/design
  • Liberal, leaning libertarian, no love for the Democrats or for the Republicans, likes her news sources "alternative"
  • Atheist too; avoids saying so, being a Chicagoan down South and all
Akiem Hampton is keeping cleaner than clean so he can chase the dream.
  • Chattanooga Owls' premier nose tackle, he's a Big Guy (...for you)
  • At church in his best every Sunday
  • Surprisingly bright, likes to study literature, maybe on the debate team, maybe not?
  • Hits like a truck; but wouldn't hurt a fly off the gridiron
  • 10/10 BBQ master, the manliest form of cooking... not bad in an actual kitchen either
  • Lives and lets live, but he still thinks y'all LGBTerrific folks are sinners
  • Politically apathetic, gets his news from the proverbial grapevine, would err on the side of Democrats if pushed
Robert "Don't Call Me Bobby" Briggs was this close to making Top 8 this time, he swears. (tentative)
  • Competitive grinder at Magic the Gathering, goes to every tournament he can get to
  • Tops the more casual events, still hasn't managed to day 2 at a GP or qualify for a PT
  • Nominally Christian, conservative background, apathetic enough to just roll with what his parents say
  • A general-purpose nerd in terms of interests and school performance; not top of the class but not far off either, likes traditional games

No no no, you're shakin' it all wrong!

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

January 20th, 2015, 7:51 pm #137

I'm actually going to stop in to say that I like your concept for the most part, so, uh... good job. You managed to squeeze a compliment from me. But I also mostly stopped in to say that while he might be 'contrary' in the state of Arizona, don't be surprised if much of the student body of Cochise High is mysteriously liberal.

We tend to roll that way around here I guess.
[+] Spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] Spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] Spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

Fenris
Player

January 21st, 2015, 5:28 am #138

Fleshing out my two concepts with Slam's input (Valiero is a real name, though, I swear! It was the name of multiple Doges and everything!), plus a couple more concepts that may or may not go past the "vague idea in my head" phase.

Dante Luciano Valiero: Tall, tan, handsome and air-headed as they come, Dante is difficult not to like but equally difficult to take seriously. His mother and father met in Naples, Italy, where his mother was born and raised- his father was initially from Phoenix, Arizona, and they lived there for a time after they married before his mother got pregnant with Dante and insisted they move somewhere quieter. Dante was raised Catholic- his mother is very strict and traditional, his father less so but his stance tends to be "listen to your mother". He was raised bilingual when he was young, but when he started elementary school his parents switched to only speaking to him in English so as to not confuse the poor boy. He's never been particularly smart, but he tries his best, bless his heart.

Dante has had a soft spot for girls since he was a kid- he's always been a flirt, before he really knew what flirting was, even (though when he was a kid he didn't exactly have boundaries down- he got in trouble a few times for kissing the cheeks of girls who wanted nothing to do with him). His parents consider it a perfectly harmless trait, as long as it doesn't get him into trouble and as long as, of course, his flirtations don't go beyond chaste kisses at the door. And they don't- Dante's ideal night out involves dinner, a movie, flowers, compliments in likely-butchered Italian, and a soft kiss at the door. He's been known to buy bouquets of roses on the weekend and giving them out one stem at a time to girls at school. After living with him for years, pretty much every girl at Cochise has been the subject of his attentions at some point or another. He knows well enough to back off when those attentions are unwanted, and since everyone knows that he's not interested in anything physical or in any real committment, he's seen as pretty much harmless (the fact that he's cute and charming as all hell probably helps).

Dante has a soft spot for animals, as well. This stems from his Catholic upbringing, and particularly from his childhood fixation on Saint Francis of Assisi and the tales of how he would preach to animals. He has three pets- two cats and a dog- who he dotes upon, and he gets his dad to drive him out to Keepers of the Wild (a nearby animal sanctuary) as often as he possibly can. His eyes light up when he sees a dog being walked on the street, and he gets shamelessly teary-eyed at ASPCA commercials. He still eats meat with a fervor, though.

Dante's family is very conservative and he generally parrots their opinions when probed, though he couldn't care less about politics and prioritizes peace between him and his friends over voicing his beliefs. He imitates his mother's Italian accent when he feels like it would sound charming. His mother insisted that he start taking part in some physical activity when he started junior high, but he's not particularly competitive and most sports didn't appeal to him- he eventually took to fencing (the whole "dashing swordsman" stereotype appealed to him) and has been taking it ever since, doing fairly though not strikingly well. He's a very social person in general who tries his best to get along with everyone he meets- he dislikes conflict and generally doesn't seem to understand why people don't like each other.

TL;DR: He was based loosely off an old D&D character of mine who had a natural 18 charisma... 8 intelligence, and 7 wisdom. Make of that what you will.

Moira Bellamy: Moira's entire life is essentially run by two things: an extreme and undiagnosed level of anxiety, and a huge lie that has consumed her entire identity. Her parents- both Kingman natives- are perfectly average, except perhaps for their lackadaisical attitude toward parenting. They trust Moira completely, likely stemming from the fact that she was always a model child, and her older sister Raina was equally "perfect" and seemed to bypass her "teenage rebellion" phase entirely. Moira was never one to take advantage of her parents' naivety- she always studied hard, got good grades, never talked back to her parents on the rare occasion they asked anything of her- but never brought home friends or went to anyone's house after school. She spent all of her time alone in her room, reading. What her parents didn't realize was that even as a child she suffered from a powerful social anxiety strong enough that it was difficult for her to even speak to her peers, let alone befriend them. Teachers noticed that there was a problem, but because she did so well academically they didn't bother her or her parents about it.

Moira's anxiety persisted through to her teenage years, but by then she was no longer (relatively) okay with simply being ignored- her anxiety was manifesting in a paranoia that others could see her discomfort and she decided to re-invent herself as she entered Cochise High School. She would become the kind of person that she had never met or seen in Kingman- a loud, angry punk who just didn't care what others thought of her. She shaved half her hair and dyed the rest mint green, bought a number of fake piercings (she's terrified to actually get anything beyond her lobes pierced), and asked her mother to start making her clothes (as she can't sew herself). Her parents, again trusting her completely, rolled with the change, particularly because it didn't change her personality at home at all. But at school she began to wear a very convincing mask to hide her constant terror- maybe if she acted like she didn't care, she could convince herself to not care.

What she didn't expect, though, was that her invented personality would gain her friends that she never expected to have. Though part of her is glad to finally not be alone- despite her constant anxiety around others she always wanted to know what it was like to have friends outside of her family- she realized the only way to keep those friends was to keep up her false personality perfectly. She started doing research online about the music she felt her new self should like and causes her new self should be interested in- everything she needed to keep up her appearances in front of her new-found friends. Her iPod is full of music she doesn't like, and she's constantly wearing things she doesn't like and saying things she doesn't believe.

At the same time, to her parents, she's still the same girl. She loves to read, she listens to Mumford and Sons and She & Him, and she adores flowers above all else. She's a huge girly-girl and likes the color pink and wearing dresses. She wants to be a stage actress when she grows up, though she considers that an unachievable dream considering her social issues. She still studies hard and makes good grades- she pretends to her friends that she doesn't care and is just naturally gifted, but in actuality the amount of work she puts into her academic success contributes to her worsening anxiety. She essentially lives a double life- shedding her personality like an overly-tight corset when she gets home from school.

Moira is average height, slim and flat as a board. Mint-green is her default hair color, but she occasionally changes it up. She wears fake piercings in her lip, nose and ears, and intentionally wears clashing colors and weird patterns in her clothes. The only constant in her wardrobe is a brown leather jacket- actually a belonging of her grandfather's, who she adored until her passed away when she was ten. When she can- when she's away from Kingman or when she's at a family event- she prefers floral-patterned sundresses and bright leggings, though she keeps her leather jacket on whenever she can.

TL;DR: She really, really needs a good therapist.

Short vague concepts:

Gwendolyn "Gwen" Carlisle: A perky goth junior living under the shadow of her overachieving senior sister (who I may or may not get someone else to play). Her dearest ambition is to be a Suicide Girl when she turns 18. She loves cute things, vampires, baking and being cuter than her sister (she insists).

Ivy Langley: A Tumblr hipster who often arrives fifteen minutes late with Starbucks. She follows trends religiously and currently is in the throes of pastel goth, complete with a cloud of cotton-candy pink hair. But despite her trendy internet sensibilities she's a hard-line conservative Republican and tends to be less-than-tolerant of others.

Rory MacNamara: A generally friendly gender-neutral individual who is quite introverted and spends most of their time playing video games. They're a creative individual who likes to draw, write, and cosplay. They're very anxious around large groups of people but enjoy spending time around a couple of like-minded individuals, and they have suffered from depression for most of their life. Basically a self-insert.

Salvador "Sal" Mendoza A super competitive boy with no talent for athletics of any kind, Sal makes up for it by playing competitive video games- League of Legends, DotA, Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, anything that he can get way too serious about is what he loves. He's generally very intense and loves a good debate. His family is completely legal, but he's been stopped by cops often enough asking to see his papers that he doesn't trust them.

... That was a lot more writing than expected. Kudos to anyone who gets through all of it.
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
[+] Spoiler
Dante Luciano Valerio - Looking for penguins.
Then: None Now: [x] [x]
Ivy Langley - Holding hands.
Then: [x] [x] [x] [x] Now: [x] [x] [x]
Apollonia "Nia" Karahalios - Drawing.
Then: [x] Now: [x] [x]
Axel Fontaine - Totally surrounded.
Then: [x] [x] Now: [x] [x] [x] [x]
Artem Fyodorov - Looking for a story.
Zen Alicea Feliciano - Hanging out with squirrels!
Then: [x] Now: [x]

[+] Spoiler
Gwendolyn "Gwen" Carlisle - Looking for attention.
Moira Bellamy - Looking for help.
Rory Wrona - Looking for some quiet.
Salvador "Sal" Mendoza - Looking for an argument.
Dylan MacKenna - Looking for a revolution.

Fenris
Player

January 22nd, 2015, 5:51 am #140

I feel like I'm overrunning this topic, but for the moment my favorite of the other four concepts is Ivy's (mainly because I want a character who is more obviously flawed), so I thought I'd flesh her out- not as much as the other two yet, but I'll come back to her.

Ivy Langley: Ivy would not generally describe herself as a "good" or "nice" person- "clever", "confident" and "stone-cold bitch" are all more her style. Ivy's family is the definition of WASPy, coming from a good deal of money and owning homes in Arizona, Texas, Florida and Georgia. Her parents had decided to raise her in Kingman specifically with the hopes of keeping her grounded... an experience that failed pretty miserably, mainly because her parents still spoiled her completely. Ivy got what Ivy wanted, and Ivy wanted a lot. Nowadays her tastes run toward expensive clothes (imported from Japan or purchased from pricey ~hipster~ brands), jewelry, and the occasional bottle of wine- Ivy has a strong fondness for the stuff, and her parents do nothing to stop her.

Ivy's always been insistent that she be in charge, ever since she was a little girl. Whether it was a school project, a game in gym class, or just playing with her friends on the playground, Ivy always had to be the boss- or she'd get so petulant that dealing with her became basically impossible. She's clever and manipulative, and obsessed with always being on top- when adolescence hit, she quickly mastered the fine art of "becoming popular" by brutally cutting down every girl who stood in her way (verbally, of course). She's not above using her money or the fancy things she owns to get into the good graces of others, either. Whatever will put her in an advantageous future position is totally fair game, in her opinion.

Almost as much as actual cash, Ivy is rich in the currency of high school- gossip. She's an absolute gossip-hound, keeping track of all school drama and holding it above the heads of whoever she can. Though many people flock around her and she has a wide circle of "friends", there are precious few people who actually care about her, and vice versa. She trusts almost no one- trust can get you knocked right off the seat of power, after all. Not helping matters is the political and personal viewpoints she holds, learned from her parents- she is a hard-line conservative and pretty intolerant, though not openly so. Primarily she uses it as a secret weapon against those that are different from herself- be them not-white, not-straight, or not-rich. Doesn't stop her from finding certain boys attractive regardless of their race, though.

Ivy considers herself very trendy and, since Kingman is basically in the middle of nowhere, she likes to pick up on current trends on the internet and bring them to the town- at the moment she's heavy into pastel goth fashion, dyeing her hair pastel pink and purchasing pricey fake flower crowns online. She loves owning things that no one else has and to that end she likes shopping at Etsy and other homemade online stores. Outside of the complexities of her social life Ivy does have a few soft spots- she has a four-year-old brother whom she showers love and affection upon, she is surprisingly musical and good both at singing and the violin (something her mom insisted she take up when she was young- she's very defensive of the school band in general and will happily rip you apart if you imply that the band is anything less than super cool), and she can be an almost entirely different person around the few she trusts- open, brutally honest, and surprisingly funny.

TL;DR: "Ivy, why can't you just be a friend? Why do you have to be such a mega-bitch?" "Because I can be."
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
[+] Spoiler
Dante Luciano Valerio - Looking for penguins.
Then: None Now: [x] [x]
Ivy Langley - Holding hands.
Then: [x] [x] [x] [x] Now: [x] [x] [x]
Apollonia "Nia" Karahalios - Drawing.
Then: [x] Now: [x] [x]
Axel Fontaine - Totally surrounded.
Then: [x] [x] Now: [x] [x] [x] [x]
Artem Fyodorov - Looking for a story.
Zen Alicea Feliciano - Hanging out with squirrels!
Then: [x] Now: [x]

[+] Spoiler
Gwendolyn "Gwen" Carlisle - Looking for attention.
Moira Bellamy - Looking for help.
Rory Wrona - Looking for some quiet.
Salvador "Sal" Mendoza - Looking for an argument.
Dylan MacKenna - Looking for a revolution.

Inge
Player
Inge
Player

January 22nd, 2015, 10:14 am #141

Most of us haven't been using the thread in a while so don't worry about overrunning it.

And it's good that you got concepts that you feel confident about, can't wait to see them in action.
[+] Spoiler
Serena Waters
Will Mckinley
[+] Spoiler
Seth Dunn
Sean Leibowitz
I do let's plays on my youtube channel here.

DastardlyBananas
Cannon Fodder

January 24th, 2015, 4:09 am #142

I'm in the process of developing my character, but here's what I have so far. She doesn't have an ~official~ name yet, but I've been calling her Margaret in my head as a stand in. Some of what's here is subject to change (please don't sue me).

"Margaret" - Margaret comes from an African American family of middling income. Her parents co-own a bakery, where her father is the head baker and her mother is the manager/administrator. Her father's passion for baking is not limited to the workplace, and as such he likes to bake at home as well. He often will make sweets or try out experimental recipes and sneak the results into Margaret's lunches, something her mother doesn't approve of but Margaret appreciates. This consistent supply of sweets and baked goods, combined with Margaret's general apathy towards regular exercise, has made her slightly overweight, though she doesn't seem to care.

She is generally pretty laid back and prefers to avoid conflict when she can. While she has been openly gay since sophomore year, she tends not to talk about it all that much, preferring to just let it be something about her rather than what people know her as. She doesn't much care for actively participating in any sort of GSA (or equivalent, I don't know) either, for similar reasons.

One thing that does motivate Margaret is her love of physics and math. She loves finding out how the world works and applying formulas to it, and loves calculus in particular for this reason. While she enjoys the more theoretical aspects of physics, she prefers the kind where she can get more hands on. Building things, testing them, and watching them work according to natural, predictable laws and formulas holds a special kind of joy to her. As she is a senior, she is looking for colleges that offer good science and engineering programs.

In terms of appearances, Margaret has neatly kept dreadlocks that she often keeps up in a loose ponytail. She generally wears solid colored shirts and blue jeans, though she does have a certain weakness for pun shirts, especially if they are math or science related. So long as it's not too hot, she will wear her favorite jacket: a brown zip up hoodie with faux fur around the edge of the hood. It was a gift from her father and, though she has no idea where he got it or why he gave it to her, she cherishes it greatly (if you ask why, she'll probably tell you that it's comfortable or stylish, neither of which are necessarily lies).
Ah yes, the signature, the place where I make my individual mark upon every post I let see the light of day. Surely it should be something magnificent, something that truly captures my essence as the extraordinary person that I am?
Crap.
[+] Spoiler
Margaret Peters

Lovely sprite by Fenris!
[+] Spoiler
I have an art thread that I update sometimes. Kind of. I'm not consistent at all but the thread exists. You can go to it here.

Espi
Winner

February 1st, 2015, 6:20 pm #143

Espi wrote:Ryder Jones:
Ryder's a bit stuck-up, but he's a pretty nice guy, and a devout Methodist. He was adopted by his aunt and her husband, but stays in touch with his biological mother, enjoying gardening with her. He also enjoys doing volunteer work, especially with hospice care, with his mom, and engages in pseudo-philosophical debates with his father. Ryder's biggest passion, though, is basketball; a starter point guard, he's very good at what he does. Ryder is fairly likeable, but he can be a bit distant at times, and is often busy and struggles to make time for friends.
Remember this guy? He's back.

Also writing a lesbian tomboy with parental issues who loves politics and kung-Fu movies, plays softball and is on the First robotics team. Her name is Vanessa Hart.
V5: Cut Short
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

V6: Broken Down
Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

V7: Unprepared
Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

Teive
Cannon Fodder
Teive
Cannon Fodder

February 3rd, 2015, 6:39 am #144

Bartholomew Sanderson
B$ [B-Money] Bartholomew Sanderson:
Positive: Trusts everyone in the world like he trusts people on stage--they'll do their part right, just give them the set up
Negative: Loves attention, and lives on it. Positive or negative. He'll wear anything, do anything, BE anything to get

Originally Canadian, moved in Sophmore due to his father Jake getting a new job with the Youth Advisory Commission [Jake was a businessman turned social worker who found immense amounts of success working with troubled youth]. It was supposed to be a temporary stop over, but Jake has moved to the town's Economic Development & Marketing Commission.
B$ is, at his core, a performer. He has been acting/singing/dancing since he was old enough to walk/wail/walk without falling down. Of course, performing for so long has made him drawn into the more...esoteric performances. He still loves the classics, but would rather see Di Caprio's Romeo than Whiting's.
He's been wearing guyliner and outfits that veer more into 'garish' than 'stylish' for many years. He'll also occasionally pepper his sentences with foreign phrases, even if he doesn't speak the language. Or know exactly what he’s saying. This also extends to using accents at odd times, sometimes in the middle of sentences for a word or two, sometimes mimicking a regional dialect for days at a time. Jake thinks the outfit design and verbal oddities are due to a lack of strong maternal influences [as B$'s mother has been out of the picture since about seven minutes after his birth]. But Jake is damn supportive—he wanted to be a performer before giving up his dream for a steady paycheque.
B$ isn't trans—he just thinks he looks good with makeup and some lipstick. And he loves when people stare. He’s a trained in combat and fencing, but only for the stage. And his instructors still told him that he was too dramatic with his motions. His voice booms and whenever he jokes, it comes out like he’s waiting for the stage lights to drop around him. When he's sad, it’s hard to tell if those are the same tears he shed when he last played 'The Embodiment of Infant Depression'.
He's the kind of skinny that comes from hours of rehearsal every day. Lots of aerobic activity and a few skipped meals. He’s also very lanky--6”0’, but his arms and legs look just a little too long. He’s long learned to cover this flaw on stage, but when interacting with people in 'improv space' [or, the real world] he takes full advantage of the long reach and slightly off look.
He as a few tattoos--the 'Comedy' and 'Drama' mask on his left and right thigh, respectively. 'Give Yourself Over to Absolute Pleasure' on his pubic bone, from when he got to play Frank. N. Furter. 'All The World’s a Stage' as a tramp stamp. Again, Jake consented to have all these tattoos done, truly believing in self expression, and how easy they are to cover. Of course, B$ craves more, but can't get them--can't have a shirtless scene if you're covered in tattoos. He'll occasionally commission one of the more artistic students to use his body as a canvas. 'Use my body like I use the world—as a place of pure and unadulterated expression!' Whenever something like this is done, he'll avoid showering for days, and wear whatever he can get away with to show off the art--his favourite being a leather jacket with lots of zippers he can undo whenever teachers aren't around. Oh and piercings. There are piercings--three in each ear, left nipple, three in the belly button, two sub-dermals [one for each shoulder] and a horizontal Prince Albert [He had to get it--he was born in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan].

Note: I'm leaving whether the permissiveness of Jake is a good thing or a bad thing to the interactions hat come up during the pre-game.

Nathanial Jones
Positive: Superficially charming, in a 'quick witted with a venom tongue' kind of way. If you're in his 'clique', and in his good graces, he'll lavish you with praise and adoration.
Negative: When faced with a new situation, always attempts to relate it back to a show/movie and follow successful actions from there.
17, a junior. Captain [flexible] of the cheerleading team, with all the attitude that entails. Bitchy more than a bully, and willing and able to say anything to demoralize those he sees as 'beneath' him--which is just about everybody. He's been called a sociopath for years, and has come to believe it himself. But in reality, his lack of empathy comes from a childhood of homeschooling. With almost zero social interaction with others his own age. He was raised on TV and movies. So he thinks that those are what 'normal' relationships look like. High School is made up of 'jocks' and 'nerds' and 'band geeks'. 'Jocks' are on top. There's always at least one guy on the cheerleading team, he gets a hard time for a while--freshman year--and then he does something to earn the respect of the other jocks. He isn't blind or dumb by any means, and knows that the 'very special episodes' and 'happy endings' where characters all magically recognize the good in each other don't happen in real life. You have to earn those happy endings through hard work. In Nathanial's case, this was knowing the captain's routine after she broke her ankle the day before 'the big game' when he was in 9th grade. He went on to perform the part flawlessly. It was weird though—only her house had any ice on the walkway that day.
He will recognize that he should feel bad if someone he considers a 'friend' is upset with him. He'll normally deliver a heartfelt apology in a secluded area. He's good at apologizing--mostly it's girls on the cheer team he wants to reconnect with, so he just goes to romantic comedies and checks out the middle of the 3rd act.
He wasn't just exposed to bad sitcoms and everyone's favourite early 2000's rom coms. He's been big on reality TV and more dramatic works as well. And of course the classics--All in the Family, Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island.
Nathanial claims to be gay--the dude on the cheerleading team HAS to be gay--but is actually straight. This has caused a problem in the past, when a gay classmate made advances. Nathanial couldn't get it up. So he did the next best thing--beat the shit out of 'the queer' and claim that even if he was 'cursed with the gay', his 'love of the bible' would keep him strong and pure. Nathanial had never read the bible, but had seen plenty of Christian characters. He just needed to be like them.
Nathanial is incredibly proud of his body. 'Ripped' or 'shredded' is how it's normally described, with incredibly low body fat and excellent flexibility. But Nathanial knows that cheerleaders are never happy with their body. So even though he takes pride in it, he's constantly purging, or ignoring food for days at a time.

Richard Samuels
Richard ‘Teen Wolf’ Samuels
Positives: Very protective of people he sees as in his groups
Negatives: Sees life as a competition, constantly trying to ‘win’ social situations

He ‘fell in love’ in seventh grade with a girl, who he dated from the start of September until the end of June. It went sour, and she broke up with him to date a ‘real man’. The phrase stuck with Rich, and he became obsessed with what it meant to be a ‘real man’. He spent a lot of time online, reading about how to be ‘Alpha’. Confidence, ‘knowing what he wants’, refusing to compromise… easy. He spent a lot of time that summer practising a skill—something easy to bring out and demonstrate value. Rap. Also a great way of putting other guys in their place. It’s a lot harder to make a comeback if the dis comes out with a beat behind it. He called himself ‘Teen Wolf’, tying it back to pack dynamics he was suddenly so focused on. After a summer of learning to rap—online videos, lots of practise in the mirror, and hours with a rhyming dictionary—the school year started again. He went back full of confidence and swagger, immediately talking smack to his ex’s new beau… and proceeded to get the absolute hell beat out of him. Confidence and swagger turned out to be cockiness and arrogance, with nothing to back it up. So when the swelling went down the next week, he signed up for the wrestling team. It took an entire year of hard practise, lots of gym time, but his technique was good by the end of it. That summer he turned 14 he continued to practise. He had the perfect vision of coming into High School and being the most impressive freshman they’d ever seen. On the first day of practise, he kept up with running laps and doing drills, but he didn’t unleash. That came in sparring. He found another 9th grader and put him to the mat, fast and hard. When he stood back up, he started throwing out beaks. This got the attention of another member of the team—10th grade and Aboriginal. He challenged Rich to a spar, and Rich accepted—this was the perfect chance to start his climb. They lined up across from each other, heard the whistle, and made his move. Shoot for the knee, hook… but there was nothing to hook. The older boy had read Richard like a book, and dodged. Suddenly Richard was on his face, eating mat, his arm bent at a painful angle. He shouted out, tried to resist the urge to tap… but had to. He wasn’t sure the other kid wouldn’t break his arm. Sitting up, he heard the boy berate him. He’d lost. Again. But he swallowed his pride. He stood up. And he promised that he’d learn everything he could from this guy, and be a better man because of it.

So he did. Richard became a beta to this wrestler, and he learned because of it. He toned down the overt aggressiveness for a more reserved form of masculinity. He learned about what fights to take, and which fights not to. He hit puberty, got bigger. But he knew that the moment his mentor graduated, Richard would be the top dog of the school.
[+] Spoiler

Bartholomew B-Money Sanderson: Unapologetic freak: 'All the world's a stage, and I'm the star!'

Nathanial Jones: Cheerleader, believer in hierarchy: 'No no baby, of course you're better than her--you ARE a cheerleader.'

Richard Samuels: Wrestler and wanna-be alpha 'I know what I want, and that's what I get.'

The Burned Handler
Mr. Danya

February 3rd, 2015, 6:47 am #145

Teive wrote:When he stood back up, he started throwing out beaks.
What does this even mean?
MurderWeasel getting impatient wrote:Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.
wrote:18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!
wrote:16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene
[+] Spoiler
wrote:11:55 Zarina turns out I work best with people when most of the people are dead
wrote:18:30 Slam Well we don't really do showers in the UK
wrote:05:57 *** Christian joined #sotf
05:58 shotgunkid oh crap
wrote:05:54 frogue i can be a time consuming process!
wrote:16:47 Irene "let it sit for half an hour, it's better when it's not so cold" he said.
16:47 Irene well...
16:48 Irene it exploaded.
16:48 Irene all over my hands.
Gianni no wrote:15:54 Aloha Leg cramps happened suddenly and i can't move X_X
15:55 Gianni wb :3
wrote:21:20 *** Persy joined #sotf
21:21 Gianni Hey Persy!
21:21 Namira my mutant alchemist
wrote:21:31 Pancapples [The weather] Was beautiful today.
21:33 Solitair oh no
wrote:18:48 Ruggawork Who doesn't want to rape Bro
wrote:17:30 Ohm Sweet, I'm using then
wrote:14:18 Wes 'm so hungry ;c
14:18 Wes :c8
14:18 Wes...
14:18 Wes fuck it
14:18 mib_7zyd33 That's not what you're supposed to do to food.
14:19 Imehal Nah, that's kinda par for the course around here.
14:19--- Ohm is away (Ew)
wrote:14:50Pancapples I kinda miss the Crusades now.
Bad Ohm! wrote:18:51*** RC quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
18:51 Ohmfg Yay!
Laur doesn't like people being in chat wrote:18:33 Laurels Agh, people are here
18:33*** Laurels quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Germany vs. Germany! wrote:18:47 RC I should send my list of ideas to SOTF_Help once I get rid of the dumb ones on the list
18:48 Bikriki so you want to send them an empty list?
wrote:19:40 uyugin taking bets on who will be the big douche in v6
19:40 Kilmarnock Actually I'm going with Laur.
wrote:14:01 Kilmarnock Girl!Slam was cute I guess.
wrote:11:29 Naft Dude uncool
11:29 Naft I was talking about conceptual penises and you made the penises real
wrote:13:59 Solitair I love seeing people get mentally broken

Teive
Cannon Fodder
Teive
Cannon Fodder

February 3rd, 2015, 5:11 pm #146

The Burned Handler wrote:
Teive wrote:When he stood back up, he started throwing out beaks.
What does this even mean?
Is that not a phrase in the States? Damn it. It means 'started insulting' or 'smack talking'. I'll make sure to southernize the slang
[+] Spoiler

Bartholomew B-Money Sanderson: Unapologetic freak: 'All the world's a stage, and I'm the star!'

Nathanial Jones: Cheerleader, believer in hierarchy: 'No no baby, of course you're better than her--you ARE a cheerleader.'

Richard Samuels: Wrestler and wanna-be alpha 'I know what I want, and that's what I get.'

KamiKaze
Winner

February 4th, 2015, 8:33 am #147

Alright, second concept, plus an update on Junko.

Emma Aguilar Luz- I was working on her, and then remembered that I was planning on making a Luz. So she's a Luz now, yay!

Emma is a bookish girl, who loves reading and studying. I'm thinking that she might know how to play the piano as well. She's generally pretty studious and academic-focused. I'm also thinking that she might be on the student council?

Ems' parents identify as preppers, and growing up Emma has been familiar with the basics of surviving a disaster. When she was younger she would often go on camping trips with them, and while she doesn't as often she still does on a few occasions. At some point, she was also enrolled in self-defense classes, at least partly as a response to the SOTF terrorist attacks. However, the thing that mainly interests her is first aid, and while she's not a substitute for a doctor she knows a lot of information about it.

Starting from her early teens Emma has experienced medical symptoms such as drowsiness during the day, muscle weakness, and sleep paralysis. While at first she thought it was stress, she was eventually diagnosed with narcolepsy with cataplexic symptoms, and prescribed medication for it. At first Emma tried not to tell anyone about her diagnosis out of fear that it would impact how people see her, but nowadays tends to tell people about it as early as possible so that they know what to do if she's having symptoms. Emma has been concerned about whether her health problems would effect her life later on, but tries her best to get past it. In addition, it's made her a little health conscious; she exercises regularly at the YMCA and rarely, if ever, eats junk food. On campus she has a few accommodations for her condition.

At school, Emma is well-liked due to her generally being friendly and knowledgeable. She's, as I said, bookish, but extroverted. Ems' is a bit on the cautious side, as a result of growing up with a prepper background as well as her condition. As you might suspect, she tends to make friends with other academically inclined people. I imagine she has a bit of an ambitious side to her, and is driven to succeed. As for her relationship to the rest of the Luz family, I imagine she'd be generally close to them.

Thoughts on her? I'm still a little unsure if she's any good or not. I'll try to keep it so she doesn't make anything official about the rest of the Luzs.

Junko Kurosawa

In some ways she's changed, and other ways she's the same as before. Junko is, has, and always will be an adrenaline junkie. As a kid she and her friends ended up watching Jackass, and attempted to come up with their own stunts. Naturally, that was put to a stop quickly. As a teen, she practices parkour/freerunning, rollerblades, and is on the track team. If it involves getting your blood pumping, as a general rule Junko will be right there the second you even suggest it. Overall, she's a tomboyish girl with an adventurous and thrill-seeking personality.

Junko is the adoptive daughter of a lesbian couple, and personally identifies as pansexual. She tends to be sensitive about LGBT issues, and as a result of growing up in a more conservative town she has a tendency to become defensive and cranky due to people reacting negatively to her family and their choices, especially since she tends to be more liberal in general.

Aside from her adrenaline junkie antics, she has a few "geeky" ones. Junko likes cartoons (both Western and anime), comic books, and video games. Her favorites tend to be more of the "action" flavor; think things like Dragonball Z, fighting games, or superhero comics. Though, now that I think of it, it makes sense that she likes a few horror games as well.

As mentioned before, she's on the tomboyish side, and more athletically inclined in general. Junko's a bit prideful and a bit of a show-off, though as I said, she tends to have a bit of a temper, both about her family and about things in general, At school, she's a bit of a procrastinator, and while not necessarily a slacker she occasionally has to be reminded about upcoming due dates for projects. Otherwise, though, she gets decent grades consistently. Junko's close to both of her mothers, perhaps to the point of being a "mommy's girl".

Also thoughts on her?
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] Spoiler
In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2008 SOTF
Carol Burke- Female Student #015- A good friend.
Remy Kim- Male Student #080- Yet another victim of the system.
Aileen Borden- Female Student #022- It's going to be okay.

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2012 SOTF
Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.
Lana Torres- Female Student #039- Technically, she died happy.
Miranda Millers- Female Student #019- Doomed by self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Loving Memory of Those Killed in the 2015 SOTF
Jennifer Wallace- Female Student #055- Good night, and good luck.
Junko Kurosawa- Female Student #041- Experienced a thrill to die for.
Emma Luz- Female Student #022- Sweet dreams.

....?
Anna Chase- Female Student #010- And then she lived happily ever after.
[+] Spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- General Discussion thread
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

SansaSaver
Player

February 9th, 2015, 2:37 am #148

So I’ve finally gotten around to conceptualising my Naft Challenge, yay! Only took me three months~

Dorothea M. Rodriguez

Dorothea, or “Dodo”, is the third of five children born into a firmly middle class family helmed by a successful architect and Spanish teacher. For much of her life, Dodo spent time under the tutelage of her elderly grandparents, whom frequently regaled her with tales of their adventurous pasts and just as interesting presents. This left a lasting impression on Dodo, who wants nothing more than to escape the stifling boredom and monotony of her everyday life. She craves excitement above all else, but finds most of the available ways of doing so in Kingman are made impossible due to the restrictions of her religion. As such, her pursuit of excitement mostly coalesces itself in the form of rabid participation in extracurricular activities with which to pad her college resume (and to break up the dullness she experiences on a daily basis). Although Dodo doesn’t enjoy the majority of the clubs she participates in, she feels that doing so will give her a better chance of getting into a good college and finally having some excitement in her life. She does however have a genuine fondness for the robotics team and chastity club, however. Dodo has a very solid moral high ground and looks down on anybody whom doesn’t meet her high standards (which is the majority of people), unashamedly criticising them in often nasty ways if she feels it’s necessary.
Version Seven:
Tristan O?Hara
Dorothea Rodriguez
Ariana Simpson
[+] Spoiler
Version Five:
B049 ? Maynard Hurst
G060 ? Mirabella Strong

Version Six:
B004 ? Joshua Bracewell
? Adopted by Ciel
G026 ? Hazel Jung ? Adopted by Ruggahissy
B027 ? Oskar Pearce ? Adopted by NAFT

Fiori
Contender
Fiori
Contender

March 16th, 2015, 6:50 pm #149

Hey, it's been a while. Hadn't posted in this thread earlier because I wasn't sure whether or not I would be taking part in V6, but after a period of no SOTF I've began to miss writing for this site. Plus, I have a couple of character concepts that I've been mulling over for the past couple months, so I figured I may as well share 'em.

Keith Thompson: Since no version is complete without at least one socially awkward kid, Keith Thompson is that kid. Well, one of them anyway. One of the youngest in his class, Keith is one of those guys who spends most of the time feeling sorry for himself for not being more popular, rather than being content with his introverted nature. Which isn't to say that he doesn't try to break out of his shell every once in a while, but his attempts usually end with him embarrassing himself. Still, he's a pretty friendly and mild-mannered guy for the most part, albeit one with anxiety issues and a tendency towards self-pity.

Johnny Garza: Generally considered to be one of the stronger kids, Johnny's a easygoing guy who generally likes to keep to himself. However, ever since he once decked a kid who had spent the past couple of months trying to provoke him, he gained a reputation as a tough guy who you shouldn't mess with. And although this reputation has helped his defensive role on the school football team, it's not one that he is particularly proud of, especially since he's more interested in chemistry despite his middling grades with the subject.

Tony Lambert: An All-American baseball enthusiast with a passion for outdoor activities, Tony's the kind of guy who likes to live life to the fullest. Very boisterous and prone to boasting about his achievements, can occasionally be somewhat arrogant about it, but generally speaking he's a good-natured guy who doesn't go out of his way to antagonise others. That said, he isn't above teasing his more introverted classmates from time to time, mainly as a well-intentioned attempt at convincing them to open up more.

That's what I've got so far. Still need to sort out a third concept, although I do have a couple of vague ideas in mind. UPDATE: Now have a third concept.
V5 Characters

Brian Zhdanovich - Homestead
Ruby Forrester - Shopping Mall
Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

[+] Spoiler
Maxwell Lombardi - The Suave Bastard {Shot off a cliff} [Kill Count: 12]
Marty J. Lovett - The Paranoid Pessimist {Stabbed in the heart} [Kill Count: 1]
Joshua Krakowski - The Living Anachronism {Shot in the temple}
Vera Osborne - The Pretentious Artist {Shot in the eye}

MuseMan
Cannon Fodder
MuseMan
Cannon Fodder

March 21st, 2015, 1:04 am #150

Okay, so after a period of time far longer than I originally envisaged I managed to condense the ideas I had into a coherent summary. If it won't fly or needs to be revised for whatever reason, let me know and I'll get straight on it.

Eri Akita: Though she'd be unlikely to use the term herself, Eri is the image of an archetypical geek. Her main interests include reading, tabletop gaming and cosplay, and she doesn't really give a toss if anyone else thinks she's weird because of it. Whilst not antisocial, her oddly archaic style of dress and rather subdued personality give off this impression, and she doesn't make much of an effort to challenge it. There is a reason for her apparent lack of vitality, however - at age 13, she began to suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome, curtailing her physical acivity and forcing her to take a year off school. It was whilst she was bedridden that she started to develop her geekier hobbies, engrossing herself in worlds of fantasy to distract herself from her own situation. Her symptoms have since abated to the point where she can attend school (if not PE lessons) and function mostly normally, but she's still quick to tire after even the most minor of exertions. At school, Eri tends to drift towards people with interests similar to her own. Usually she's quite reserved, only opening up to people after she's known them for a while. She has quite a dry, sarcastic sense of humour and isn't afraid to let it loose on anyone she feels deserves it. As her name might imply, she's of Japanese descent (with a Japanese father and a British mother) but was born in the States and has lived in Arizona for most of her life.