Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!

September 27th, 2016, 8:07 pm #11

BKA: I’m voting for Kimiko Kao for killing Cristo Morales. I liked the gradual transition from looking for supplies and possibly allies to thief. I like that as an early kill it was killing more out of panic in a theft gone wrong than actively murderous.

BDA: I’m voting for dmboogie for the death of Harold Porter. With Harold. I like how the death did a good job of being consistent with how he had been portrayed in prior scenes. I like how he was focused on reassuring others and continuing to try and do the right thing.

Karen from Finance
Karen from Finance

September 28th, 2016, 12:56 am #12

Best Kill Award: My vote goes towards Isabel Ramirez for the death of Conrad Herrod. It's certainly not the kind of death I'd have expected on Day One, but I really enjoyed it. Isabel goes completely off the deep end, committing to the atrocities she has and will commit on V6 Island. What better way to show that than to torture someone? I feel it's the sort of event that will carry a lot of consequences in Isabel's story and play into other stories as well. It's the sort of death that we need on Day One, and I think it's the most chilling of the lot.

Best Death Award: My vote here goes to Empress Plush for the death of Abigail Floyd. Damn you, Plush, for pulling out an unrolled death and making me feel things about it. It's a brutal scene, emotionally. Abby was a very likable person in pregame, and to see her completely give up after watching Cristo die was really tragic. It's normal to see suicides on the first day, and I think this one was one of the better Day One suicide deaths we've seen. It shows how quickly Abby lost all her hope, and I liked that it was more spurred by something that happened during her time on the island and not an immediate reaction to being on the island. It's a great death, and Plush deserves accolades for it.

Attractive Accumululululator
Attractive Accumululululator

September 28th, 2016, 3:51 am #13

BKA
Isabel Ramirez, for killing Conrad Harrod

I found it difficult to continue reading the post in which Isabel kills Conrad after the half-way point or something (and boy was that a long post), but not because it was mechanically terrible or the narrative was lacking. I am simply to squeamish for all of this stuff. Still, I feel as recognition of making me look away in sheer horror I should be voting for Isabel.

BDA
dmboogie for the death of Harold Porter

It made me sad, okay? ;~;

(No, seriously. Evoked the strongest emotional response in me, so that's my choice)

izzysizzy
izzysizzy

September 28th, 2016, 5:54 am #14

BKA: Alvaro Vacanti. I really like this as a first kill early on in the game, it's panicked, it's simple, and it doesn't require too much premeditation. It's very believable how someone could be pushed over the edge to this position early on and do something terrible without really thinking it through, and those are my favorite kind of early game kills. The way Alvaro tunes Barry's words and intent out until he can only see the possibility that he might get hurt, or even killed, really sells that, and it's a two way street, which leads me to...

BDA: Barry Banks. Alvaro's kill wouldn't be as satisfying if it wasn't for the context of what Barry is actually doing. These two opposite mindsets are clashing, and Barry doesn't realize how he's coming off. I think it might read as a little cheesy to some, but for me it was perfect; Barry doesn't seem to be able to conceive someone like Alvaro as a threat, he just sees someone hurt and scared who he could try to help. The crazy, reeling cycle of hope he goes through as he falls is great as well, it's the sort of desperate "last thoughts" kind of deal that ends up coming across as very reasonable in a panicked sort of way. He's so desperately trying to convince himself things are going to be okay, even when they're clearly not. It's a delicious delusion, and one Aura handled well!

September 29th, 2016, 12:27 am #15

I'm voting for Harold Porter for the BDA. His death was heartfelt and peaceful, full of emotion and creates a sad, yet memorable and satisfying (though that may not be the right word) conclusion to Harold Porter's story. Despite it being a clear ending, however, it also gives a hint of the effect Harold's death will have on Ty and Clarice, and therefore not only finished Harold's story, but gave much for the continuation of Ty's and Clarice's. What really pushed me over the edge to choose this one instead of Barry's, though, was that dmboogie did a fantastic job with the prose, creating the peaceful and deliberate atmosphere of one who has truly accepted his death. Barry's death was good too, but just didn't manage to capture the atmosphere like Harold's did.

For the BKA, I'm voting for Alex Tarquin. His was the first kill truly done in the heat of the moment and that couldn't be argued it was an accident, but it contrasts that with a piece-by-piece breakdown of why he acted in that way, or at least, why he thinks he acted in that way. While the other kills were either done by people of questionable sanity, not in fact on purpose or partially on purpose through premeditation, Alex's kill was done by someone sane, someone who swung to kill and someone who really hadn't planned it. This is the first kill of the drafted soldier and carries all the implications of that.

Mikazuki
Mikazuki

September 29th, 2016, 2:45 am #16

Best Kill Award

Isabel Ramirez is our post prolific killer so far, and my pick for BKA. However, I think it should be for the death of Tina Luz. While Conrad's death sticks out in most people's minds because of its sheer cruelty, I personally think Tina's death is a more interesting look into Isabel's psyche. Isabel committed the first deliberate murder of V6, and Turtle did an excellent job of developing her rationale. Tina's death is part of Isabel's buildup as a character, and the first stepping stone deserves to be remembered.

Best Death Award

There's a couple of tragic deaths this time around: Abby Floyd in particular has truly heartbreaking death post. However, she is narrowly beaten by Harold Porter's, because the emotion of his death extends past his death post. Most of the other deaths are over quickly, or at least contained in a few posts. But Harold filled a thread with a long, drawn-out death, and his companions contributed a lot as well. Harold's, Ty's, and Clarice's posts weave together to create a truly heartbreaking death scene. Boogie, Medic, and Plush all deserve commendations for how well the thread was put together.

The Ghost of Ravenstar
The Ghost of Ravenstar

September 29th, 2016, 10:35 pm #17

Best Kill : Alvaro Vacanti for chucking Barry Banks off the belltower, holy shit this was great. One of two deaths that I did not see coming. When you choose Best Kills from an IC perspective however, you have to take into account how it will affect the winner. I get the sense that a lot of our killers this month would be killing no matter what. But Alvaro? Barry's death cannot be called an accident, but Alvaro isn't exactly planning to do it again. Winning the BKA will leave plenty of impact. It will turn what would be a one-off killer into a player. I like that. I want that. Give the pizza and katana to Alf.

Best Death : Abby Floyd. Mad respect for someone knowing when the time is right to pull the trigger. Abby's death was shocking. It was also incredibly fitting. It is the only death I can say with full confidence that has stuck with me the most since reading it.

guest fawkes
guest fawkes

September 30th, 2016, 10:18 pm #18

bka - Boy 032

Well, it was a great choreographed scene with Rea being killed and Will wanting to seek revenge. IC giving Alex a good weapon is extremely entertaining for the terrorists. Even with the scene currently being ongoing, it is thrilling to see the dynamic that happened to the killer of rea and the boyfriend of rea. I sense a rivalry incoming. Also, do I even need to mention Alex' profile? Alex+guns = murder. The terrorists love that. Also Grim+Guns = awesome fight scenes incoming. Alex Tarqwins my vote with that kill.

bda - Aura the Master of all Foxes who also are kinda misfortunate (tm)

The scene was really perfect. It was really creative to use the 'falling out of the tower thing' with the fact that the island is hella old and that he falls down from it with the allusion of the tower being really instable. It was believeable. Also, the Jonathan and Barry chemistry was great and Jonathan's mourning really made Barry's death even more sad. 'twas for me the most moving death of day 1. It was a good, believable and not too-silly or comedic accidental death and I felt really, really sorry for Barry. This is how a day 1 accidental death should be. Barry did not only have an impact for having a really sad death, but should also be rewarded with a quote.

Even if he already has one quote captured IC.

Unregistered Voter
Unregistered Voter

October 1st, 2016, 2:56 am #19

My vote for BKA goes to Deamon's Kimiko Kao. Early kills are always hard to pull of well, but this kill flows well from the characters and the situation around them. The escalation from theft to the fight is natural and you can feel the shift from doubt to panic in Kimiko that leads the death. Her panic is all too real, and the feeling works very well for this scene.

For BDA, I nominate RC's Conrad Harrod. While the lack of breaks hamper the flow of Isabel's kill, it provides an amazing space for Conrad's reaction. The use of length and short punctuating lines help extend the timeframe of the death making the sheer torture of the situation clear and the interweaving of dialogue and thought is done particularly well to emphasise the sheer desperation of the situation.

Somber_Lupine
Somber_Lupine

October 1st, 2016, 8:06 am #20

BKA: Kimiko Kao. Nice paranoid escalation, beautiful accidental kill.

BDA: RC for Conrad Harrod. Far and away the best death post. Existential, serious, lovely.