besto guesto
besto guesto

December 30th, 2016, 10:38 pm #11

kaitlyn and hen spen. votin' it.

This vote has been disqualified due to lack of reasoning.

AnonGuest
AnonGuest

December 30th, 2016, 10:50 pm #12

I vote for Steve Dobson for the BDA. His death, while being just as meaningless as the others, still managed to give the island's resident psycho the message that, despite what she may think, her power over people is still limited. That he managed to be at peace with himself while dying makes it even better. Regarding the writing, the fact the way he (almost) managed to escape death by her hand was foreshadowed, namely how the sickle had torn through his bag, was clever and tied his actions before his death together with his actions at the time of his death. And the way it ended, in the middle of a thought, was great. He lived until he died, not giving himself to death until he was truly gone.

For the BKA, I vote for Kimiko Kao. A sympathetic character, for whom, despite her being a murderer twice over before this one, the kill didn't push her out of our sympathy, but, in a very clever way, enhanced it. A good deal of credit must go to Ruggahissy for this as well, whose handling of Caleb Diamond accounts for at least half of the tragedy that this incident produced and was my second choice for BDA.

Plus, the bastard in me wants her to win this and have it announced again, with commentary. I'm curious what that would do to her sanity.

December 30th, 2016, 11:55 pm #13

BKA: Alessio Rigano

This is a really strong scene, that works well due to the relationships between the characters, including the not yet present Vanessa. It feels like an almost logical extension of Alessio's arc, showing the dangerous mix of jealousy and anger that fuels his character. RC plays up the nice guy stereotypes, in Alessio, but it only serves to show how self serving such a temperament really is.

BDA: Caleb Diamond

This death really pulled me in from the beginning. The thread is contemplative the entire way, primarily fueled by Caleb's personal sense of worthlessness. He doesn't need to die, but he chooses to anyway, in a final attempt to make something out of his life. An absolutely heartbreaking death.

uh oh!
uh oh!

December 31st, 2016, 12:06 am #14

BKA: KAITLYN GREENE: An accidental overdose is a fresh new concept for an accidental kill, and kind of terrifying to think about in general! Kaitlyn's reaction afterwards especially sold it, and Mia's part was also fantastic. Finally - I just think it'd be hilarious for Kaitlyn to get BKA after her little speech to the terrorists.

BDA: WAYNE COX: Fuck, man, this just made me sad. The final two lines were especially effective at being heart-wrenching. I wish we could have seen more of Wayne, but this death was a perfect culmination of his island arc up to this point.

December 31st, 2016, 3:38 am #15

Best Kill Award: My vote this month is for Kaitlyn Greene for the murder of Mia Rose. I haven't seen a death like this before. It perfectly subverts the nonviolent robbery attempt we see some kids attempt in this game. The tranquilizer seemed like a weapon that wouldn't be used, and I think that to have an accidental murder due to a lack of knowledge of how to use tranquilizers is pretty good. I also think this will have some interesting consequences for Kaitlyn's story, so I can't wait to see how this goes.

Best Death Award: I'm giving this to Ruggahissy for the death of Caleb Reynolds. I think Caleb was fascinating for the short time he was on the island. He had a real good voice and a real good sense of character. His death was quite interesting for how Rugga had been writing him so far and what he ended up doing. It was a strangely romantic scene, and I think it made me like Caleb a lot more. I know this will be remembered as an early game standout scene, so I think it should be remembered.

Grim_Wolf
Grim_Wolf

December 31st, 2016, 7:20 pm #16

BKA/BDA: ALVARO/JASPER

I honestly don't see how their can be any argument for this killer and this death winning the award this contest. There are some fine killers in this bunch (Alessio springs to mind) and some interesting kills (Tessa in particular), but the scene that Alvaro and Jasper manage to set between them is far and away the best. I'm not a huge fan of the way the kill actually goes down (we've all done the accidental instinctual kill before, but given the tension in the scene I think there are so many ways it could have gone down), but that's a minor detail that in no way detracts from the incredible emotion of both the set-up and the aftermath. Alvaro's breakdown, Jasper's desperate faith and then flat-out desperation...

They both are at their absolute best in this scene, and they both deserve the win.

January 2nd, 2017, 1:08 am #17

BKA: Alessio Rigano for the killing of Cameron Herrig
It wasn't clean, but it was quick and it wasn't drawn out and it's not an overdramatic angstfest but just some scared asshole deciding to play the game. I like that. Not that the rest were overdramatic angstfests of course. In fact they were all pretty strong. But the image of Al swinging a pickaxe into Cameron from the dark with a meaty clunk was the one that stuck with me the most.

BDA: Pippin for the death of Mia Rose
I like that Mia just died. She got taken out, and it was tragic and sad, but she wasn't able to say goodbyes or, on the other hand, lament her failures or lack of being able to say goodbyes, which we see a lot of. Again, not superdramatic, she just struggled and lost a fight she couldn't win. Well done.

Deamon
Mr. Danya
Deamon
Mr. Danya

January 5th, 2017, 2:19 pm #18

Voting has been closed and the winners will be revealed in the next announcement.
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
[+] spoiler
Kimiko Kao - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯
Travis "Trav" Lynch - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Ω
[+] spoiler
Gray Emerson - "No. We don't follow."
Yasmin "Yaz" Carroll - "I don't really have a plan anymore."
Christopher Harlin - "You can look me in the eyes and shoot me."