D/N
Contender

September 19th, 2011, 12:34 am #286

Right, so when I said that my original concepts were subject to mass editing, I was being entirely accurate there. So er

JESSE ALSTON: Attractive. African-American, lighter skintone. Afro of suaveness. Average height. Jesse is not quite a manwhore. But he's close. He just likes to think of himself as a very, er, sensual being, or something like that, I dunno. Has had lots of relationships of various degrees with girls around the school, rumors persist that he's even tried out the other team a few times. Probably involved in one or two activities at school (dunno what yet), would have a few friends in the popular crowd and a few scattered elsewhere, doesn't like to string people around so he doesn't have TOO many vindictive exes. Because of that he's a generally likeable guy but is dismissive of anyone who doesn't seem to like him straight off the bat, and doesn't have too many close friends because he hates getting too close to people and is all about the surface appearances.

MEGAN KILPATRICK: Decent-looking. Obviously has some Irish heritage with the dark red hair and pale skin and some freckles and all. Average height. Megan is a girl with a TERRIBLE TRAGIC PAST. She was born in trashy downtown Tacoma to a terrible excuse of a single mother and was neglected and all that jazz, until finally ending up in Child Services and bouncing around for a while. Yes, I am trying to take the cliched childhood of tragedy and make a good character with it, why do you ask? Anyway, Megan eventually ended up with a new mom either through adoption or just sticking with one foster home for awhile, and then New Mom ended up marrying Rich Older Divorced Stepfather, and that's where we are now. New Mom and Rich Stepdaddy have driven Megan towards Hard Work and The Value of a Good Education so she doesn't end up like her trashy roots, and she wavers between that at school and various teenage methods of flirting with rebellion. I'd still like to find some sort of Rebellious Badboy character to be a secret boyfriend sort of thing, other friends and relationships I'm still figuring out.

LYN ROXAS: Only character that I haven't really changed. Not great looking. Filipino. Very short. Overweight but not grossly obese or anything. Dark hair, cut lazily so she doesn't need to style it. Baggy clothes that make her look like a lazy stoner who doesn't care. And Lyn is exactly that, a lazy stoner who doesn't care much about anything. Gets away with it at home because she's in a big family. Does just enough to get by at school,is standoffish and rude to people if they aren't in her inner circle and is generally just a very unpleasant person. Said inner circles would include folks in the stoner club and just druggies/layabouts in general, and now that I've read about it, most certainly TEH AZN GANG. Lyn would probably not rap much because she's too sullen and whatnot, but she's totally in and would love to hang around and be AZN. Full name is something like Rochelle-Lynne Maria Roxas, which she loathes and hates and never wants to be referred by ever.

v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

Sean
Survivor

September 19th, 2011, 12:39 am #287

For the love of god, do not give one of your characters the last name Roxas, that's like naming her Lyn Sephiroth. I get that it's a legitimate Tagalog surname but it's also the name of a Kingdom Hearts character with a lot of fangirls.
[+] Spoiler
B124 - Joe Rios - Nothing - Shot
G118 - Rose Codreanu - Nothing - Collarsploded
B048 - Milo Taylor - Nothing - Bled Out
[+] Spoiler
Mark Kent
Quoth Super Llama: wrote:One day, the fabled Ragnarok will come, and as the gods descend to earth and wage war while the world dies around them, WickedIcon will lead the charge, a 12-gauge shotgun in his right hand, and a bottle of Jack Daniels in his left as he rides a steed made of fire and pain.

And the masses will look upon him and weep at the beauty of it all.
wrote:[19:25] Hallucinogenic: it's not like i wanna put my anus on parade
wrote:04:26MimiOH
04:26MimiTHAT'S LESS BAD
04:27MimiI THOUGHT SHE HAD TO JERK OFF MONKEYS

Tagabasa
Leader

September 19th, 2011, 2:05 am #288

Sean wrote:For the love of god, do not give one of your characters the last name Roxas, that's like naming her Lyn Sephiroth. I get that it's a legitimate Tagalog surname but it's also the name of a Kingdom Hearts character with a lot of fangirls.
Like you said, it's a legitimate surname. Sephiroth is not. Roxas is the surname of a former President of the Philippines, and I happen to know a Roxas family despite living in a town with a tiny, tiny Filipino population. I don't see the problem.
Version 4 Character:
Simon Fletcher (B104): Dead at The Sawmill

Version 5 Character:
Casey Malkovich (G037): Dead at The Farmhouse

[+] Spoiler
wrote:(13:22) Ruggahissy: Death rays that harness the power of friendship felt by a basketball team assembled at an alligator farm by a zombie eskimo and a pretentious prisoner of war
(13:23) Ruggahissy: The ultimate weapon
wrote:(23:51) wides: IT GON' GET SIG'D.

measuring stick
Cannon Fodder
measuring stick
Cannon Fodder

September 20th, 2011, 1:33 am #289

Ryan Miller
D.O.B:18th of July 1993

A 18 year old male originally from Hialeah, Florida who use to be constantly bullied & beaten up at school due to the fact they enjoy there school work & is bisexual. Ryan moved with his family to Seattle at the age of 17 for 2 reasons the 1st being his grandfather on his mums side was diagnosed with cancer & the 2nd is due to the bullying Ryan was subject to. Since that time his grandfather has died from cancer 3 months ago which has deeply upset Ryan emotionally as he had a close relationship with him. Recently Ryan has started taking drugs (L.S.D & marijuana) roughy 2 months ago to deal with the emotional trauma caused by this (Ryan generally gets high 3-4 times a week) & a few of his friends who use to take drugs have started noticing a slight change in his personality most noticeably with the facts that Ryan doesn't seem to care as much about school & his grades has been slightly declining. Use to be told by numerous people in Hialeah, Florida that if he reports it or mentions who done it the beatings will get worse (they use to always target non visible places). As a result of the bullying & his Mum being a Nurse Ryan has learnt basic first aid.His favourite subject at school are legal studies & hopes to be a lawyer once he's finished school. Outside of school he enjoys getting high, playing chess & reading legal textbooks to increase his knowledge of how the legal system works. With what he lacks socially he makes up for academically being a straight A student (crying whenever he gets less than that mind you that has led to a lot of tears lately due to the drug use). He has no partners at this point in time due to the fact that for the 1st time in his life he stood up to someone & broke up with his now ex boyfriend for repeatedly cheating on him. Tries to be polite to everyone & has had some success since moving to Seattle in making friends. Lately Ryan has been hanging out with the stoners both at school & outside of school. At home he is a only child & doesn't get to see a great deal of his parents as they are working majority of the time (his Dad is a Lawyer & the likely cause of him wanting to be a lawyer, his Mum is a Nurse). His parents tend to buy him what he wants to make up for the fact they aren't at home as often as the character would like.

Hobbies: taking drugs (L.S.D & marijuana), reading, playing chess
Dislikes: getting bullied & beaten up
Image: 170 cm tall, caucasian, a buzz cut (he started shaving his head after getting beaten up), average build, normally wears a white T-Shirt, blue denim jeans, sneakers & a watch on his left wrist
Strengths: good at school, basic knowledge of first aid & is a fast learner
Weaknesses: easily dominated, not very athletic, not overly popular, has gotten a bad right knee from when he got bullied

p.s would anyone be able to give me some feedback on the character?

The Bearded One
Cannon Fodder

September 20th, 2011, 4:57 am #290

wrote:would anyone be able to give me some feedback on this character?
This looks about 1000% better than the prior version. In fact, he looks like he's got more weaknesses than advantages now. One possibility to even it out a bit is to say that he's learned a bit of first aid from his mother (the nurse); that can be a major asset on death island or wherever the kids get trapped.

I'll let someone with a bit more experience evaluating submissions speak with more authority, though.

(And welcome to SOTF, by the way.)

v5 concepts:
[+] Spoiler
Leonard "Lenny" Nast - class clown & proto-stand-up comedian
Jeanine McLaughlin - tall, attractive, blond, intelligent, but having trouble at home
SotF-TV:
[+] Spoiler
SotF-TV: Bobby Goldman - track star & wannabe firefighter from Detroit Central HS. Wpn = Shopping Cart (abandoned), 1x plastic rod, 2x (destroyed) 1x metal rod
Pregame: Party Hard -> Doorways
Grey #1 -> Cold & Lonely Road -> Establishing Shot -> Friendly Fire -> Walking Dead -> Peers -> Metanoia

and: Alicia White - fairy-obsessed former gang girl from Detroit Central HS. Wpn = Remington 870 Shotgun [7/8]
Pregame: Lunch Line
Gold #3 -> Lucidity -> Partly Cloudy -> King of the Jungle -> Time to Pretend

Slam
Mr. Danya
Slam
Mr. Danya

September 20th, 2011, 8:59 am #291

Hi there measuring stick, nice to see the new ideas here! Let's have a closer looky,

-Ryan-
Ryan's bullying is a perfect valid point to work with on a character and has been done so plenty of times in the past, so that's hunky dory, but it does feel a little bit of a stretch for me that if he has that many bullies they'd all go really out of their way, what with controlled beatings and intimidations, to get away with it. Not that it'd be impossible though, it's just what I think there. Also keep in mind that this pre-game's setting, Seattle, is considered very LGBT friendly for the most part, so large scale bullying due to his bisexuality may not be as likely either. Again it's still perfectly possible (Kids are dicks after all) and I don't claim residence in Seattle so I'm hardly an expert, but just my opinion there again.
The legal studies and hard working student seem to be played well, so nothing to point out there~
The drug taking to deal with the stress will probably need some more elaboration on how frequently he's taking them and what class of drugs are in use, since it's almost inevitable they'd have some effect on his health or work and someone other than a bully or his absent parents might take note.
Also if he attempts to be as polite to everyone as much as possible, what's stopped him from making at least one other friend amongst the bullies? Surely he's had exposure to a few more people in his high school career unless he's deliberately gone out of his way to seperate himself from others, which I haven't really seen any of in what you've described.
Overall looks like a strong setting for a character there, so good work I say.

-Malcolm-
Aryan Brotherhood in Seattle = Huh? Again, Seattle ain't picture perfect place I can value, but nazis running around left wing central, again, strikes me as a bit jarring. What brings his racist family to such a location in the first place? Have they lived there for generations and are just stubborn?
The "I'm not gay but I made him get gay with me" is a valid position too, so works for the most part.
Also his dream is to be a chef, but I'm not seeing any cooking related hobbies or activities in his life. Is there some reason for this?
Hobbies outside school all seem plausible and doable.
Swastika tattoo on the arm is NOT something that will fly in school. Even if by some stretch of the imagination he wasn't ordered it removed or expelled, I don't see him getting allowed on the class trip with it. Heck, I don't see any of his racist hijinks granting him a seat on that bus. I'm assuming this friend of his is an actual licensed tattoo artist as well with the correct equipment, unless Malcolm wants a lovely splotch of infection and disease on his arm.
I'm assuming that the leadership skills come from rearing his Aryan Brotherhood, but I'm also questioning now just how big this order has gotten if he's in a position to lead multiple people. Ramifications with school officials!
We've had racist characters in SOTF before; it's nothing new so there's no reason to say you shouldn't do it. Most of those past characters when we've been stringing for realism and have made it into the game have been a lot more subdued than Malcolm is here though, and the whole Aryan Brotherhood recruitist definitely complicates the matter ten fold. It's not technically unsalvageable, at least not in my opinion, but it's not making him any simpler to write that's for sure.

Mimi
Winner

September 22nd, 2011, 11:13 am #292

Back again with yet another concept, having gotten rid of my little Beaner. I may use him for a mini one day, who knows, but he will get some screen time down the line. Poor guy's slowly becoming the Susan Lucci of my line-up because I keep saying I'm gonna use him and then find something I'm more attracted to :C. Fickle, fickle woman I am.

So my newest concept is a joint project with Dom that was settled within minutes, as we both fell in love with it. The concept in question is a pair of arguably interchangeable girls whom are both slightly dim, gullible, and ever the carefree spirits. Kara and Cara (or K/Cara), as they're called, are very in tune with the school's information highway and tend to be quite the little gossip mongers, more than often becoming the driving force behind the school's rumor pool. Our goal is to create a very flexible character that can propel other character's plots and storylines, whilst still maintaining one of their own, and hopefully provide buffer where needed.

My Kara (Kara Caplan) is a pretty little cheer-leading Jewish girl who's generally always confused by the dos and don'ts of her religion. Poor baby is as gullible as they come, to the point where she's currently eating peanut butter with most everything since someone told her it increases bust size. Kara with a K has a terribly addictive personality, finding things that she likes and binging on them for quite some time. While neither of the girls are malicious (it's just poor social awareness, promise!), Kara seems the be the lesser of the two evils, often remarking with awe how mean someone is being, though she's quick to get on the bandwagon.

All in all, we're hoping to help handlers out who otherwise have no other way to get a storyline started or need a specific type of person to oo-and-awe at them. If you need that, don't be shy! K/Cara are your girls~

storyspoiler
Leader

September 23rd, 2011, 4:47 am #293

Re-upped character concepts. Ended up grabbing Edgar Tolstoff, twin of decoy73's Katarin Tolstoff, and at around the same time, dropping Yelena, whose headspace was too close to the then-nascent Edgar's. Characters I currently have are:

Mallory Vandevere ~

Keywords: Delightful, Brilliant, Bizarre.
Activities: RPG, Cooking, Fencing, Choir.

Summary: Homeschooled by an eccentric professor father until high school; came into school knowing how to bind books and play the ocarina, but knowing nothing about either popular culture or how to deal with other people her own age. Luckily, she's wildly charismatic, and mostly makes up for her own oddities (Neoplatonic argument, knowledge of dead languages) by cultivating a reputation as an extroverted, honest eccentric. She's known for excellent pranks, enjoyable tangents, and running an intrigueful RPG set in the 16th century in the back of the library. She's the leader of her close circle of nerd-friends, and tends to be pretty well-liked even outside of her own circles; quickness and humor count for a lot, even in high school. Outside of school, she fences saber, adding to her outlandish in-school reputation.

Edgar Tolstoff ~

Keywords: Quiet, Talented, Perfectionist.
Activities: School Play, Choir, Quiz Bowl.

Summary: Twin brother to the popular Katarin Tolstoff, Edgar has, until late, been happy to live in his sister's shadow. Introverted, disciplined and shy, his own anti-social traits were compounded, in elementary school, by severe OCD that got him frequently pulled from school. Therapy and medication have largely cured the OCD; what remains is a nitpicky perfectionism and a tendency to repeatedly organize and hoard possessions. Childhood got him into solitary pursuits: books and music, chess and piano, and when his parents pushed him toward a sport, rock climbing. An interest in vocal music caused him to take up singing, first through voice lessons, then in his school's chorus. Only very lately has he started to get more extroverted: trying out for James Ford's production of Les Miserables got him surprise-cast as Jean Valjean, during which he found out he was a fairly talented actor, and enjoyed acting. Still quiet, thoughtful, and a little spacey in social interactions, he's nonetheless attempting to branch out his friendships.

PS Meems, I like Kara
--------

Alice Boucher was a liar.
Liz Polanski played with fire.

And who the hell is Radio Asuka?

Acelister
Leader

September 24th, 2011, 11:33 pm #294

Right, I'm mainly posting this to get the concept out there and so force my mind to grow and better it. I floated this idea in another thread back in February when I was asking how far I could take his language.

---

Max 'Hans' Casson, a Neo-Nazi white supremacist with a short temper. His parents are normal parents, doing the best job that they can do - sadly without NetNanny on their computer. Max heard the term 'Nazi' at a young age and thought a cool nickname would be 'Maxi Nazi'. Upon reading about the Nazi movement, he decided a better sounding nickname would be Hans. After months of badgering, his parents decided to go along with this 'phase'.

He mainly sticks to verbal abuse - which in Seattle he has plenty of targets for his non-white diatribes. He wants tattoos but knows school policy against 'images of hate', although that's not what he sees the Nazi symbol as. Regularly writes 'White Power' along his arms of the backs of his hands, using a pen. Uses his dad's weights at home, so has muscles but is too short to appear threatening with them at 5'5".

---

There. For now. Of course it needs a lot more to get into Pre-game, but now I've typed it I'll be able to think about it more. Like revising for a test is easier if you write it down as you learn it.
V5 Concepts:
Max 'Hans' Casson: A white supremacist with a mean streak normal pro-Aryan attitude. [His views do NOT reflect my own, so everything said in pre-game is all him]

[+] Spoiler

V4 Former Prospective Players Island Residents:
>B089 John Smith - Currently DEAD over the Northern Cliffs in Fabuleux
>B107 Rizzo Vitoria - Currently DEAD on The Greens in Thank You For Being A Friend
Go and watch Transformers The Movie Abridged!

Badb
Mr. Danya

September 27th, 2011, 6:55 pm #295

Oh yeah I have concepts now!

Cara-with-a-C Howard is a bottle blonde, thin, fairly athletic girl who, though a little less gullible than her best friend Kara, is not all that bright. Quick to follow Kara onto the cheerleading squad, she's definitely a sheep and just like her best friend, a huge gossip but her intentions are- mostly- good, but she's quick to make judgements, and quick to change her mind based on popular opinion. She loves fashion though and is quick to comment when someone looks awful, though she never really intends to hurt anyone's feelings by it- though feelings do get hurt. She's also incredibly passionate in her devotion to animals, having a number of pets, aspiring to become a vet once she's graduated.

Mike Farrell is a strange combination. He's a big fan of indie music and art films, but can switch from going off on a tangent about how that band totally sold out after their second album to training with the football team at the drop of a hat, which leads to him keeping some presence around a fair few groups in school. He's smart, though, and very good at History, though most of his grades are just average. He's a fairly friendly guy, though as both a hipster and a jock, he has got more than his share of people around school that dislike him.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Blind Gardener
Cannon Fodder
Blind Gardener
Cannon Fodder

September 30th, 2011, 12:38 pm #296

(This is a slightly fictionalized mishmash of two different friends of mine. Obviously needs work and fleshing out.)
Name: James Cotter
Grade: Senior (Held back a year)
School: Iunno, is this all from the same school? ()._.

Hobbies and Interests: Handwork including Wielding, Whittling, Woodworking, Electronics, Sewing, Leather-Working, Trap Hunting, Knitting, Blacksmithing, Mechanics. James Cotter works with his hands, and prefers making things himself to buying things from the store. This leaves him with little time to be involved in 'popular culture'. He hasn't watched television in years, though he listens to punk and alternative rock loudly while he works.

Appearance: James Cotter stands at 5'10" and weighs somewhere in the vicinity of 190 lbs, much of that being muscle. He has a fairly square set face, thick lips, a flat large nose, wide fleshy cheeks, and a roll of flesh that makes his chin sometimes vanish into his neck when he ducks his head. His hair is the brownish grey shade of dirty dishwater, and is ragged and short. His beard is still quite patchy, so he keeps it shaven. His looks are fairly average.

His eyes are large and his left eye is brown. His right eye is usually covered with a simple eye-patch. When it's not the pupil is wildly dilated, and he's sensitive to light and cannot see well.

His clothing is handmade, by himself (using a singer sewing machine). He most frequently wears a longboat made from sewn together patches of various pairs of jeans and buttons made from knobs he took off of vintage cars and other vintage things from the 80s. He wears a thin beaded pink and pastel yellow bracelet on his left hand, made for him by his little sister from which a prominent cross dangles.
His pants are usually durable jeans with more leather patches sewn onto them as reinforcement and for aesthetic reasons (Over the knees and around the hems, two triangular patches over the left and right pockets).
He usually wears durable hiking boots as his shoes, and a simple airpainted T-shirt over his chest. The quality of the air-painting varies with the age of the T-shirt, but the pattern usually depicts insects perched on leaves.

Biography:

History
James Cotter was the second son of his family, born to fairly young parents. His mother works as a line manager on a steel mill, his father is a preacher at a Lutheran church. His older brother was born with downs syndrome, and his younger sister is six years younger then him and born despite his parent's careful use of birth control. He calls her 'god's little blessing'.

Despite the problems in his family caused by his mother's long work hours and physically demanding job, and the tensions between James and his father's church, James Cotter has strong ties with his family. He has a long record of getting into fights with people who say bad things about mentally retarded people and people who say bad things about his family, which has lead to some school suspensions culminating with him being held back a year in junior high.

Conflicts between James and his church started when he was 12 and he began questioning details of their religion. The conflicts continued to escalate as James befriended 'anarchists', 'atheists', and 'heathens'. James retains a strong belief in god, but is becoming more and more disillusioned with the evangelical church, and has recently been exploring other sects of Christianity, to his father's mild disapproval. ("Well, at least you're still a christian.")

When James Cotter was 16 he was performing a wielding project and decided not to don his wielding visor. A hot spark of metal managed to bounce into his right eye, blinding it. His sister saw, and once she stopped panicking called the hospital. They saved the eye it's self but the lens was too damaged to heal, and had been cauterized by the hot metal. Thus he has Aphakia.

When he turned 17 he got a motor cycle license tacked onto his learner's permit, and his parents bought him a somewhat ragged but still working motorcycle for a big birthday present. Since then he's been riding and driving his own beater of a motor cycle to and from class.

Personality:
James Cotter's personality is generally friendly and gentle, he's fascinated with mechanical and electronic objects and has been known to rescue broken things from dumpsters to disassemble them in his parent's tool shed. He claims to live off of skittles and coffee to make himself sound like a cynical college graduate student, and he likes to try to act older then he really is. James likes to put on a tough guy act, but he's actually fairly sensitive.

James Cotter tends towards familiarity with authority figures and people he likes, and cold respect for ones he dislikes. A math teacher might get a "morning sir" out of him where a shop teacher would get a "How's it going!"

James Cotter recently landed a part time job as an apprentice to a traditional style blacksmith/artist in town. He is very proud of this job, and has a tendency to brag about it.

James Cotter is gay, and has been hiding this from his father.

James Cotter has a longstanding record of academic mediocrity. The classes he does best in are art classes, and many of his early friends are now high-school dropouts who now work in technical jobs. The remainder of his friends are most concentrated in the Theater club, for which James Cotter works sets.

James Cotter is terrible at small talk.

Advantages: Stamina, good with his hands and with technical things, Down to earth.
Disadvantages: Despite his stamina he lacks brute strength, blind in right eye (right side dominant), Tough guy nature is an act, terrible at small talk.
In liu of something witty, echidnas are sooooo cute!

Slam
Mr. Danya
Slam
Mr. Danya

September 30th, 2011, 4:56 pm #297

CONCEPT CRITIQUE ALL OVER THAT SHIZ

Mimimimiiiiiiiiiiiii

Kara Caplan
Kara seems the perfect sort of girl to go around being a gossip slag, but how does her slightly more well meaning nature get along with Cara's outright mean judgmentalness at times?

storyspoilers sweetie~

Mallory Vandevere
Mallory certainly looks like an enjoyable girl to get around with given her diverse interests and wide charisma. With intellect, sports and charisma going for her I wonder if there's much she isn't good at?

Edgar Tolstoff
Rock climbing is kewlz so he gets 50 points straight off.
Since chorus is a group activity, how did that interact with Edgar's inherently introverted and shy nature? Not much I think to say here, so I think he'll do splendidly in game (Pre-game. Shooting people who can say? (But that's a good thing of course!)).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEcelister d=(o.o)=b
Wondered where you had disappeared to. Happy families!

Max 'Hans' Casson
More Nazis in Seattle, liberal city my ass! Really though, it's a tricky challenge but if you're up for it a neo-nazi would probably make for tons of interesting character interaction and development over the course of his shortened lifespan! White power might still get some eyebrows raised from the staff unless he goes out of his way to hide it methinks though. Also, how are his parents feeling these days if they thought it was just a phase at first?

Domnomnomnomnomnom

Cara-with-a-C Howard (That name might be illegal though)
Cara looks fairly solid as is. I'm wondering though if her good intentions but bad attitude in the judgemental department hasn't conflicted at some points or another and had an effect? ("Should I really have thought that? Oh crap maybe I'm a bitch with a b!") Also how does her fairly not-brightness mix with her desire to be a vet? Them shit needs good grades I hear.

Mike Farrell
Mike also seems well rounded, so not much to add to there. If he's smart what's dragging him down to average grades? Disinterest? Laziness? And how do his interests cross over in regards to the other group's he's a part of opinion of him?

Blind Gardener, deadly with rake.
Welcome to the site!

James Cotter
James is certainly looking thought out so far!

All the students are at the same school if it's like V4, yus, although I can't recall if we've been told where in Seattle it is yet, so it could still change for all I know.
James certainly does know a lot of complex trades; where has he picked them all up? His parents certainly seem very busy, so does he read a lot of books? Has he attended some sort of club to learn them? Or is James' dad very handy himself and is passing along all these techniques? And where did he get the funds to practice these techniques before his part time job arrived? Is his parents combined income quite lucrative or has he had part time jobs in the past?
I'm wondering where all this stamina and muscle is coming from, since you haven't really mentioned anything in his interests that would make him mostly muscle from what I can see.
What sort of reputation has James' reactions to people's badmouthing given him? Is he seen as a moral person or a trigger temper thug, for example. Big guys don't tend to be given the benefit of the doubt when they're having fights, after all.
How has he gotten his hands on all these vintage things to make clothing out of, given the time setting of 2011? Does he crawl across the internet in search of things, and if so the funding question resurfaces.
How does the rest of his family besides his father react to his agnostic attitude towards religion?
The eye thing is perfectly doable in a character, so not much to pick at there. Poor guy though. Same goes for motorbikes to my knowledge.
How did he get into punk and alternative rock if he doesn't keep up with popular culture?
What makes James try to put on a tough guy act around people at school? And how his this as well affected their opinion of him?
Do the authority figures appreciate his attitudes towards them? Has he ever gotten into trouble for being too casual?
Do the rest of his family or friends know that he's gay? And if so what do they think?
Academic mediocrity is fine, and doing well in art and working stage in theatre only makes sense with all his hobbies so that's fine.
Terrible at small talk, what about the rest of his interactions with people around him? Is he dominating in a conversation that has meaning? Does he just tend to not say much at all? Terrible at small talk also isn't really much of a disadvantage, so you can probably omit it.
Not really seeing where this down to earth advantage comes from either.

Overall though I definitely think that James has a lot of potential to him, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in pre-game!

Blind Gardener
Cannon Fodder
Blind Gardener
Cannon Fodder

October 2nd, 2011, 4:51 pm #298

Slamexo, thank you! You've given me a lot to think about! I'll put in more details <3.

Also, I had another character idea!

(This is a slightly fictionalized mishmash of two different friends of mine. Obviously needs work and fleshing out.)
Name: James Cotter
Grade: Senior (Held back a year)
School: Iunno, is this all from the same school? ()._.

Hobbies and Interests: Handwork including Wielding, Whittling, Woodworking, Electronics, Sewing, Leather-Working, Trap Hunting, Knitting, Blacksmithing, Mechanics. James Cotter works with his hands, and prefers making things himself to buying things from the store. This leaves him with little time to be involved in 'popular culture'. He hasn't watched television in years, though he listens to punk and alternative rock loudly while he works.

Appearance: James Cotter stands at 5'10" and weighs somewhere in the vicinity of 190 lbs, much of that being muscle. He has a fairly square set face, thick lips, a flat large nose, wide fleshy cheeks, and a roll of flesh that makes his chin sometimes vanish into his neck when he ducks his head. His hair is the brownish grey shade of dirty dishwater, and is ragged and short. His beard is still quite patchy, so he keeps it shaven. His looks are fairly average.

His eyes are large and his left eye is brown. His right eye is usually covered with a simple eye-patch. When it's not the pupil is wildly dilated, and he's sensitive to light and cannot see well.

His clothing is handmade, by himself (using a singer sewing machine). He most frequently wears a longboat made from sewn together patches of various pairs of jeans and buttons made from knobs he took off of vintage cars and other vintage things from the 80s. He wears a thin beaded pink and pastel yellow bracelet on his left hand, made for him by his little sister from which a prominent cross dangles.
His pants are usually durable jeans with more leather patches sewn onto them as reinforcement and for aesthetic reasons (Over the knees and around the hems, two triangular patches over the left and right pockets).
He usually wears durable hiking boots as his shoes, and a simple airpainted T-shirt over his chest. The quality of the air-painting varies with the age of the T-shirt, but the pattern usually depicts insects perched on leaves.

Biography:

History
James Cotter was the second son of his family, born to fairly young parents. His mother works as a line manager in a machine shop, his father is a preacher at a Lutheran church. His older brother was born with downs syndrome, and his younger sister is six years younger then him and born despite his parent's careful use of birth control. He calls her 'god's little blessing'.

James' mother, Elizabeth, is one of those large women, standing at 5'11", with broad shoulders, and a muscular body, wide as a barn with a flat face, short hair, and a mild smoking habit. She has a deep jolly voice, and a boisterious sense of humor, she used to smoke more, and drink often, but Jame's father helped her quit drinking and reduce her rate of smoking during their courtship.

James' father, Norton, is a narrow, effite man, at only 5'9, he abstains from many pleasures, unless others are partaking along side him. He also has a dry and cutting sense of whit. He was attracted to Elizabeth's love of life, and she to him for his quiet strength. The two of them moderate each other, Elizabeth making sure that Norton doesn't deny himself too much of life's pleasures, and Norton making sure that Elizabeth doesn't accidentally spiral into addiction patterns. They depend upon each other, and both know exactly how much the other has improved their life, but they still frequently argue, as Norton enjoys debates, and Elizabeth likes arguing. Still, they're more friends then traditional 'lovers'.

James's older brother, Saul, has downs syndrome, and is mentally retarded. James always knew there was something 'weird' about his brother, but wasn't really told what it was by his parents, rather he found out from a guidance councilor during elementary school, during what was supposed to be a fairly routine visit. Saul is very gentle, and somewhat stunted in growth. He has a very sweet temper, and enjoys reading, though his reading level is much lower then his peers. Saul has already 'graduated' from college, and works on a farm, caring for animals with much gusto. James likes Saul, but finds it uncomfortable to be around him at times. Saul, for his part, wholeheartedly likes James. Saul is four years older then James.

James' little sister, Shelby, is adorable. She's six years younger then James, and very into the new My Little Ponies. She loves to sing and is a member of her school's choir, and dances like a ferret having seizures. Since she was little she's been gluing glitter to Jame's projects, or attaching brightly colored feathers, or painting them purple (her favorite color). James found her antics, at first, fairly frustrating. What turned the relationship around was when she was six, and he was twelve time when he found her watching him, trying to arrange scraps to imitate a project he was working on, specifically a new desk for his room. He decided to willingly let her 'help'. She splattered paint on it till it was sopping. He still keeps the mottled purple, pink, glittery, beaded desk with a childishly drawn dinosaur eating a unicorn on it in his room as a momento. Shelby is more artistic then James is, and honestly, less handy. He often lets her 'design' things for him to make, and much of her clothing and furniture was made by her big brother to her specifications.

Since James was young he has very much been more his mother's son then his fathers. Jame's mother rose the ranks from linesman to line manager in the steel mill, and was always gifted with her hands, a trait she passed on to James. Most of the tools in the toolshed belong to her, though she allows James to borrow them, and she taught James about most of them. James has held many part time jobs, having been taught by both his parents the value of hard work. His first job was a newspaper rout, and then working at a Toyota mechanic shop. Now he works at a traditional blacksmith, as an 'apprentace' to an older man from his church. All of this labor brought him a great deal of endurance. James, for his part, is happiest when doing physical tasks with his hands, and outdoors burning calories.

At first James had a reputation for being something of a mother's boy, due to his close family ties. In junior high, in the event that lead to James being held back, the fist fight went too far and fairly out of control. Weapons got involved. James with a rather large bolt-cutter he had been working with at the time, and his opponent with a knife. Property was damaged, bones were broken, stitches were made, and James was suspended and held back a year. Jame's father chewed him out, but his mother gave him a pat on the back and a 'good lad'. James is uncertain of his feelings about the event. The fight it's self was exhilarating, but afterwards, when watching his opponent laying on the ground whimpering, James felt very bad about himself. Fortunately, other then a few scars, there were no permanent injuries from this fight.

After that James' reputation went from being a kind-hearted momma's boy, to being a thug with 'random bouts of violence', and someone to be avoided. Many of James' friends who were still in school began to avoid him, and whisper about how dangerous he was. James started developing a tough shell to protect himself from the pains caused by people glancing at him, looking away, and whispering about him, or cowering when he raised his hand to greet them.

Conflicts between James and his church started when he was 12 and he began questioning details of their religion. The conflicts continued to escalate as James befriended 'anarchists', 'atheists', and 'heathens'. James retains a strong belief in god, but is becoming more and more disillusioned with the evangelical church, and has recently been exploring other sects of Christianity, to his father's mild disapproval. ("Well, at least you're still a christian."). His mother is less devote then his father, though also quite involved in the church. She's emotionally torn by it as she sees it more as him getting ready to leave the nest, and is torn between being glad he's becoming more independent, and sad that they're spending less time together. The rest of his faimly really doesn't hold much of an opinion on it. His sister's too young to, and his older brother doesn't quite grasp the distinction between the sects of Christianity.

James' grandparent died when James was 15, and left most of his stuff to Jame's father. James was never particularly close to his grandfather, who was a very shy man, but he did have good memories of the man. James' grandfather had always had a tendency towards hoarding, due to growing up during the great depression, and James' father did not know what to do with the junk. James wound up with a supply of fairly vintage stuff, some of it nearly a hundred years old. James was facinated by the gaudy but old designs, and began to incorporate the 'stuff' into his look, clothing, and attire.

When these supplies ran out and/or were finally hauled off to the dump, James began exploring abandoned buildings, searching craigslist, and visiting scrapyards for 'cool things'. He built a vacuum tube radio out of salvaged parts, though it doesn't work very well. He keeps the clunker of a home made radio on his desk, tuned to 'radio moscow' on the dial, and pretends that the unusual sounds it makes are coded messages from the old, soviet, Russia traveling in time through his radio.

When James Cotter was 16 he was performing a wielding project and decided not to don his wielding visor. A hot spark of metal managed to bounce into his right eye, blinding it. His sister saw, and once she stopped panicking called the hospital. They saved the eye it's self but the lens was too damaged to heal, and had been cauterized by the hot metal. Thus he has Aphakia.

When he turned 17 he got a motor cycle license tacked onto his learner's permit, and his parents bought him a somewhat ragged but still working motorcycle for a big birthday present. Since then he's been riding and driving his own beater of a motor cycle to and from class.

Personality:
James Cotter's personality is generally friendly and gentle, he's fascinated with mechanical and electronic objects and has been known to rescue broken things from dumpsters to disassemble them in his parent's tool shed. He claims to live off of skittles and coffee to make himself sound like a cynical college graduate student, and he likes to try to act older then he really is. James likes to put on a tough guy act, but he's actually fairly sensitive.

James' father is fond of The Beatles, and The Police, and The Guess Who, Neil Young, Johny Cash, Christopher Whitly, and The White Stripes, and keeps LP records of them which he played often. This heavily influenced Jame's taste in music.

James Cotter tends towards familiarity with authority figures and people he likes, and cold respect for ones he dislikes. A math teacher might get a "morning sir" out of him where a shop teacher would get a "How's it going!". All in all this works somewhat well: the teachers who are annoyed by his formality generally quickly become 'disliked' teachers due to their reactions to his informailty, and he returns to the pattern of cold formality with them.

James Cotter is gay, and has been hiding this from his father.

James Cotter has a longstanding record of academic mediocrity. The classes he does best in are art classes, and many of his early friends are now high-school dropouts who now work in technical jobs. The remainder of his friends are most concentrated in the Theater club, for which James Cotter works sets.

James Cotter is terrible at small talk, but when a conversation becomes technical he becomes lively and involved.

Advantages: Stamina, good with his hands and with technical things.
Disadvantages: Despite his stamina he lacks brute strength, blind in right eye (right side dominant), Tough guy nature is an act.

Blind Gardener
Cannon Fodder
Blind Gardener
Cannon Fodder

October 2nd, 2011, 5:24 pm #299

This character is pretty much undeveloped. Sorry. I should have used a less spacy taking format. Basically she's the child of a couple of aging hipies who's rebelling against their hippyness by becoming 'the man'. Probably her grandparents are 'old wealth'

Name: Raven Moon-swallow Smitt (Her friends call her "Elizabeth")
School: Same one as everyone else
Hobbies and Interests: Money, Normalcy, Popular Culture

Appearance: Raven Moon-swallow Smitt is a short girl, at only 4'10" tall, with close cut hair in a curt, tight, cut. She wears high healed shoes, sharp cut business suits/dresses, and narrow framed glasses. Her hair is black, her eyes are brown, and she's got fairly tan skin from her Filipino father.

Biography: Raven Moon-swallow Smitt was born to a pair of hippy/stoner parents, who spent more time smoking weed and shooting up then they did actually caring for her. How she managed to avoid the prenatal effects of drug use was sheer luck: her mother was in juvie hall at the time, and unable to get drugs. For her first four years of life she spent more time in the company of her grandparents on her mom's side then with her actual parents. Her parents got their lives together some, her father getting a job using the same skills he had once used to grow pot to grow other plants at a gardening supply center, and her mother found work in cleaning houses. Her parents showed up to 'reclaim' her, much to her horor when she learned she'd be spending less time with the people she thought of as her 'real' parents. Her 'real' parents, the ones who cared about her, named her Elizabeth, but on her birth certificate she was Raven Moon-swallow.

Her relationship with her biological parents had been strained ever since, and she tried to run away to her grandparent's house a several times to get away, only for them to show up days or weeks later when they noticed she was missing and drag her back home. In rebellion against her biological parents she threw herself forcefully into the world of 'the man', learning responsibility, and using her homework as an excuse to not interact with her parents, joining clubs to spend as little time at home as she could.

Her name is something of a running joke in the school, and mentioning her real name will aquire an icy hard glare. If you ask her what her plans for the future are, she will coldly explain that she plans to become an accountant or a lawyer. She wants to not care about human life as a final 'take that' against her hippy-anarcho-pinko parents, but hasn't mastered that skill yet.

If she liked punk rock, she'd probably be a member of the 'straight edge' movement, but she doesn't, and thus isn't. She likes classical.

Advantages: Headstrong, willful, determined, trying to fight against the 'altruistic impulse', lots of anger pent up inside waiting for a chance to vent.
Disadvantages: Physically weak, no survival skills, somewhat hated by the other students for her stuck up behavior, allergic to cats, young.

_____

Other character: Not very fleshed. Zoe Anthrea, indian(from india) american. Quiet girl, into horticulture and plants. Can identify most plants on sight. Otherwise she basically has nothing.

Also not fleshed: Sharlyn Thompson, hyper manic crazy girl with a pretend deathwish and fakes being an adrenaline junkie to be mysterious and attractive. Does crazy 'quirky' things like carry around and suck on a pacifier and claims to have various mental disorders, but is, in fact, a massive epic faker.

Hollyquin
Winner

October 2nd, 2011, 10:49 pm #300

CONCEPT UPDATE TIME WOO

Okay Winston is much the same, super gay English boy who loves gossip, Lady Gaga and getting straight As all the time. But Aidan and Chitose have changed quite a bit, so:

Aidan is still a pretty Irish womanizing prick, it is true. Still plays in a band, still best bros with James Ford, still a track runner, all of that. I took the drugs out of his concept for the most part (still drinks, still smokes weed sometimes, but that's the extent of it) though he still has grandiose dreams of rock stardom. However he is now also a closet dork. Well not entirely closet- he is a huge Homestucker (as introduced to him by Ford) and is entirely open about that. But he also belongs to a traditional roleplaying community online, known by his chumtag leonianLibertine, where he has a rather big crush on a fellow forumite. Who, unbeknownst to him, happens to go to his school. Yeah.

Chitose on the other hand, I'm going a lot further with the Luna Lovegood-esque aspects of her personality and toning back the stereotypical shyness and meekness. She's still relatively quiet, unless she has something to say, but in general she's a bit more outgoing and friendly. She's simply considered odd and often talks about things other people don't understand. She has a lot of knowledge about odd things that she'll bring up in an appropriate moment. Overall she loves to learn and she especially loves new things, so she'll try most anything once just to say she's experienced it. She's prone to being very unpredictable because of this. She's still a gamer, a survivalist, and fond of anime, so that's all the same, and her oddness means she has relatively few friends, though she is kind to everyone and the friends she does have come from all parts of the school.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // &#20844;&#22290;&#12395;&#21315;&#27507;&#12399;&#26412;&#12434;&#35501;&#12416;!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.
[+] Spoiler
[V4] ESCAPED:
[x] Garrett Hunter [B138] [KC: 0] // Sitting at home, figuring some shit out.
"If there's anything I can do...anywhere I can fight, send me there. I want to help." // &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813; - &#9813;

[V4] DECEASED:
[x] Hayley Kelly [G103] [KC: 7] // RANK 33
I don't want to go. // &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829; - &#9829;
[x] Jasper-Declan MacDermott [B129] [KC: 0] // RANK 93
Perhaps...it was worth it, after all. // &#10050; - &#10050; - &#10050; - &#10050; - &#10050; - &#10050; - &#10050; - &#10050; - &#10050;
[x] Vivien Morin [B062] [KC: 0] // RANK 131
Goodnight, Sylvie. // &#9792; - &#9792; - &#9792; - &#9792; - &#9792;
[x] Maria Santiago [G110] [KC: 0] // RANK 258
"So...I guess...I'm going to heaven after all..." // &#10013; - &#10013;