V5 BKA/BDA Voting: May/June 2014

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

June 14th, 2014, 3:29 am #1

You know the drill! BKA/BDA is live once again. As always, DO NOT trash on scenes/characters, or your vote will not be counted. If you don't like any of the scenes, just abstain from voting.

BEST KILL AWARD:
Ruby Forrester, for killing Sharon Austin
Leona Van Kamp, for killing Jenna Rhodes
Katarina Konipaski, for killing Rosemary Michaels
Marcus Leung, for killing Rachael Langdon

BEST DEATH AWARD:
jimmydalad, for the death of Sharon Austin
Skraal, for the death of Eliza Patton
MK Kilmarnock, for the death of Cody Patton
Fioriboy, for the death of Jenna Rhodes
MrMissMrs Random, for the death of Rosemary Michaels
Laurels, for the death of Rachael Langdon

This will run for four or five days, followed fairly promptly by the announcement. We're also still short about half the deaths for this month; please try to get those in ASAP, so they can at least be in the next announcement.

Tseug
Tseug

June 14th, 2014, 10:55 am #2

BKA - Leona Van Kamp
From a terrorist's point of view, giving Leona the shiny new weapon definitely makes sense, when I compare the four kills of the people alive. Giving a heavy-armed girl or somebody who just euthanized somebody a new weapon, wouldn't make much sense. And even though I liked Ruby's kill, too, this kill was the most brutal. It had gore. It had blood. And that's exactly what terrorists want to see. And Jenna was also a killer, a motivator, which makes the death special, too as she was killed by a girl with 0 kills. The terrorists would probably give her the weapon to motivate her to kill more. The suddenness and the fact that she killed with a shard reminds me of the past BKA winners, which is pretty cool.

BDA - Rosemary Michaels
It was a fitting conclusion, getting killed by the first girl she met on the island. In addition the scene was writting well and was touching and I pity Rosemary. Also Rosemary is an excellent V5 character who should definitely be quoted or get at least some honour by getting the Best Death Award.

Uncle Wiggily
Uncle Wiggily

June 15th, 2014, 4:56 am #3

Best Kill Award: This month's Best Kill, for me, should go to Katarina Konipaski's murder of Rosemary Michaels. As I see it, Katarina had a moment to weigh the choices she made so far, and having reached a moment of peace with Rosemary, decided to give in to the desire to kill, strangling the girl to death. To me, I feel that's an interesting choice, since Katarina is basically deciding to continue doing evil since it has worked for her so far. It's not morally correct but it's what's keeping Katarina alive in this game, and I feel that's something the terrorists would reward.

Best Death Award: I think MK Kilmarnock's writing for the death of Cody Patton was the best death of the last period. Cody was a very interesting character, one who made some really hard choices in this game and went through lots of hell on the island. Because Cody is killed by his sister, I feel there's a bit of irony involved that is even mentioned. In a way, it's representative of Cody's time on the island. Nothing works out for him, and there's always some sick cosmic joke at play with how things go wrong for him. It's why I think this is the best death of this group.

Swordchucksyo
Swordchucksyo

June 15th, 2014, 11:27 pm #4

BKA: Marcus Leung, for killing Rachael Langdon.

This kill was really neat and unique at a stage of the game when a lot of what we're going to see in terms of character innovation has already happened and most people are on fairly firm paths that they're not going to stray too far from. Marcus comes off as a really sympathetic killer in a way that I didn't expect at all. This scene genuinely surprised me with the quality of both characters.

BDA: Laurels, for the death of Rachael Langdon.

I wasn't following Rachael very closely for most of the game. She never really clicked with me, and I tended to write her off in scenes. This death completely reversed that. It perfectly plays her out and sparks what may be a very memorable late game arc, both putting her killer over and capping off her story in a way that ultimately enriches the whole experience.

June 16th, 2014, 8:20 pm #5

BDA/BKA: My votes goes to Rosemary and KK this time around, respectively, despite my dislike of repeat winners. I'm a fan of things ending the way they began, and that was clearly the intent here. It's just a really poignant point arc in both characters story who I enjoy, and was all around simply something good to read.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

June 18th, 2014, 4:32 am #6

I'll close this down in... let's say two days. Would love to see more votes; things are currently looking pretty sparse.

Dead Man Walkin'
Dead Man Walkin'

June 18th, 2014, 4:36 am #7

For BKA, I vote KK Konipaski. I think her killing of Rosemary was a really interesting scene that really marks a change in KK as a person and gives her a lot of potential henceforth. It's also a really nice tie-up for Rosemary, which is why for BDA, I vote Rosemary Michaels, since this book-end to her story is a really interesting and well-done scene. I especially appreciate in this scene how both of them really appreciate the irony of meeting up again.

Grim Wolf
Grim Wolf

June 18th, 2014, 5:37 am #8

So going through the list, and I want to throw out some things. Going into this, I honestly expected to be voting for the Pattons. I liked the way the Pattons death was turned into a symbol of their perpetual conflicts in the game. That alone gave it weight, and since I've interacted with both of them I was really pretty sure I'd be voting for them...

But then I read BDA: Rachael Langdon and BKA: Marcus Leung.

I'm not sure what about this death speaks to me. I liked interacting with Rachael, but there's something more. This death feels strangely fitting. The characters exist in this weird ghostly space where the things they're doing shouldn't feel possible but they're happening anyways, and they're both suffering for it. It's weirdly heartbreaking, and it only works because they're both there--in Marcus' bizarre, regretful, methodical act and in Rachael's forgiveness, disbelief, and reluctant acceptance.

I was unexpectedly touched.

Robot Unicorn Attack
Robot Unicorn Attack

June 19th, 2014, 1:52 pm #9

BKA – KK for killing Rosemary

Simply put, I think it was the most gruesome, interesting death. The building of trust into the backstab was cool, as was the visceral strangling. It seems like the sort of thing the terrorists would go for, the way comfort so quickly turned into something terrible for both involved.

BDA – MK Kilmarnok, for the death of Cody

I think that it was a really strong thematic tie-in to the rest of the character and his relation to Eliza. I think he did a good job closing out the character throughout the scene, building up both to Cody shooting Eliza and Eliza getting the revenge kill, and the quality of the writing was, as always, very good.

Some Weird Guest
Some Weird Guest

June 20th, 2014, 9:16 am #10

BKA: Katarina Konipaski
I'm usually a little hesitant about voting for characters who already won BKA, but KK blew this one out of the park. The scene between her and Rosemary is great because it hits a bunch of notes in a small space, ranging from something almost sweet to something truly terrifying, yet it all hangs cohesively together. It's another strong scene from KK, and marks an interesting point in her story. I look forward to seeing where she goes from here.

BDA: Rosemary Michaels
Rosemary is a character who I never fully clicked with until this last scene of hers, which makes the degree to which it hooked me all the more impressive. I like for a character's last scene to be their best, and that's definitely true here. Rosemary's death just does a great job of making her real, painting a picture of her as someone with hopes and fears and thoughts and then seeing that all ripped away. It's a great little tragedy, and a fitting end to one on V5's notables.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Cody Patton here. Cody's a great character and his death was a great closer.