V5 BKA/BDA Voting: February 2014

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
rip ruggapolis
rip ruggapolis

February 11th, 2014, 9:11 am #11

Dang, this is gonna be a hard choice x_x

For BKA, I choose Amaranta Montalvo, for killing Summer Simms. I was pretty divided on this choice, so first, I'll give a shout-out to Katarina Konipaski and Ian Williams.

Going back to the topic, the entire scene was chaotic when Summer came and I simply loved every bit of it. I don't know how to describe it (I kinda suck at this). I just loved it. Maybe it was simply the execution. I really can't tell you why.

For BDA, I choose Ruggahissy, for the death of Michelle Wexler. I'm going to give a shout-out this time to Mimi for Summer Simms (I loved that last line), Shangela for Brianna Battaglia, and Grim Wolf for Karen Idel.

I like stuff on this site almost all the time. I get entertained very easily here. However, it's very, very rare that a death makes me feel something. Rugga managed to do that with Michelle. The formatting of the death post and her last words made the entire thing very sad, and the fact that she was probably one of the nicest people on the island made it worse. Looking at it again made me feel sad, which is even more phenomenal. So congrats, Rugga, for writing one of, in my opinion, the best deaths in v5.

February 11th, 2014, 1:48 pm #12

BKA: Hansel Williams. Why? Firstly Theo vs. Hansel, was a very amazing fight. Also IC it'd make sense giving Hansel the BKA, as it was a showdown between both topkillers. He also got no weapon from Theo and his only useful weapon is the FAMAS. And I bet the terrorists would love to give him another weapon so he can take out more people.

BDA: Cyrus White. Man there were so many awesome deaths, and I have to admit it's hard to decide who to nominate as I liked every death. But why did I choose Cyrus? Well he panicked and regretted joining the Escape group. His death reminded me a bit of Alex Miller. Or a reverse George Leidman in The Cavalry Arrives. I think Cyrus' panic and despair is a realistic and well written reaction to his collar beeping. simpleinsanity did a good job, it's his first character after all.

John Smith
John Smith

February 12th, 2014, 12:21 am #13

BKA: Mara Montalvo for killing Summer Simms. This is the picturesque SOTF situation: your friend is dying and you're not. Should you put them out of their misery or just leave them to die? Mara clearly did the former, and her last speech to Summer was touching enough to make her stick out.

BDA: Laurels' death of Sophie McDowell. I absolutely love Laurels' writing, for one, and the last few lines of her death post really pulled at my heartstrings. It's always nice to see a kid complacent with death, and I personally find it really heartwarming.

Special mention goes to Espi's death of Theodore Fletcher, again mostly due to the last few paragraphs. Shame that he repented too late.

[Insert Name Here]
[Insert Name Here]

February 12th, 2014, 5:12 am #14

BKA – Travis Webster, for killing Edgar Tolstoff

The reason for this vote has to do with the fact that, from the perverse entertainment perspective of the terrorists, this is the most visceral kill of the options. With 1/2 the kills being clean gunshots, they aren't as entertaining kills as the drawn out fight scenes of the other three. Of the fight scenes, Travis's with Edgar stands out for a few reasons. First, it's drawn out. A lot of stuff happens over the fight. Second, the way in which Travis wins in the end is more remarkable. He manages to pull a trick that doesn't just involve out-strengthing or skilling his opponent, but he out-mindgames Edgar at the very end. It makes the whole fight feel a bit more impressive.

BDA – Ruggahissy, for the death of Michelle Wexler

The reason for this vote has to do with the combination of how great Rugga's writing is and how well she ties Michelle's story up at the end. To elaborate on that second point, there are a few points I want to mention. First, Michelle integrates the EMT motif into the post beautifully, which contributes to the consistency of the character. Second, she keeps Michelle's motivations consistent. It would have been incredibly awkward had Michelle suddenly gone, "OH GOD I DON'T WANT TO DIE BECAUSE FEAR OF DEATH/FAMILY/REASONS." Rugga does Michelle a huge favor in keeping Michelle's motivations consistent to the very end, even knowing that Michelle's death spells the end of Group Nap Time. Third, I like how she closes Michelle's dialogue on very personal notes. While the most important line she says in terms of Virgil's response is her asking him not to kill, that's not the last thing she says. Instead, she closes with something very banal. This, again, contributes to making Michelle seem very human and emotional, instead of just a character in a game.

February 13th, 2014, 1:08 pm #15

Best Kill

For Best Kill I'm picking Hansel Williams for the kill of Theo Fletcher.

The kill itself was gritty and well-written but the thing that makes it is Hansel's reaction after the kill and what it means for Hansel as a character. His biggest enemy on the island is dead and I'm interested in seeing where he goes from here. On top that I'd like to see what happens if he's rewarded for killing when he's trying to stop playing.

Best Death

For Best Death I'm picking Mimi for the death of Summer Simms.

In my opinion Summer's death is the perfect way to end her story. She doesn't die happy. She dies failing and full of fear. Her last effort to search for the camera encapsulate her insanity. She wanted to be loved but in the end she was deluding herself that she's loved and friends with the terrorists. Mimi's writing for the whole thread also helps since it's top notch.

Ciel
Ciel

February 14th, 2014, 4:57 pm #16

BKA: Travis Webster

I want to vote for Mara. I really do. But I have a problem with letting the same character win BKA twice in a row. Just a personal bias for me. I'm going with Travis because, considering I read this before the awards ever went up, it still sticks out to me way more than the rest of the kills available. It gave off this Battle Royale vibe that I kind of dug at the time. Also, on an ooc level, I just came out of it smiling. From peeking back at the thread before it, I get the impression that Delroy has been sitting in suspense for months, waiting for the right moment to have Travis strike. It also has none of that, dignified crap that I've been seeing that's a real pet peeve of mine. It sounds like Delroy was having fun with the scene. You can feel it from each little word he typed into every last post and I don't

Honestly if this were any normal round, these wouldn't be great grounds to vote for someone. No offense but I don't have much to choose from here, and even though it isn't perfect, it's nice to see someone like Delroy letting loose and giving this whole 'playing' thing a shot. Especially considering we've had a drought of them for the first half of V5.

BDA: Summer Simms

Holy shit what a way to go out. How fitting too. Even seconds before Mara is about to put a cap in her head, she's worried about the cameras watching her, how people see her. The last few sentences cement almost everything Mimi was building up for the past couple of months. It feels like Mimi knew how Summer's death was supposed to go right around she finished killing Naomi. It's really cool to see it all come around full circle. I had a lot more choice for BDA than I did BKA, but in my mind Summer's is really the only choice. Also, no offense, no name calling, no judging, but this is my opinion; at least Summer's death didn't make me giggle like an idiot.

Honorary mentions go to Karen Idle and Cyrus White because their death posts were tailored to the characters without being preachy. They were given the stage for one post and they gave it their all here, both of them. Also Paulo Abbate. How blunt.

If anyone gives Gavin the BDA I'm seriously going to quit this community

Captain Guest
Captain Guest

February 14th, 2014, 9:29 pm #17

BKA: Hansel Williams
What stands out to me particularly about Hansel's kill is that it's a well choreographed fight that manages to both have a sense of some real time passing yet also flow quickly and smoothly, in an easily-read fashion. Hansel's had a string of pretty good kills, ones that aren't particularly flashy, but that advance his characterization and move his story along. This one, in particular, serves as closure for one of his earliest arcs, and leaves him with a lot of places to go with its fallout. It's opened up a lot of possibilities, and I'm excited to see where it takes him.

BDA: Jesse Jennings
Jesse's death was very well-handled because of how it flowed with his voice and his narrative. All this time, Jesse's confidence has been front and center, leading him slowly into more and more questionable courses of action. Here, he finds himself mutilating a corpse in a vague hope of finding some way to escape. It's desperate and crazy, but it sure never feels that way from Jesse's point of view. When he dies, it's a sudden shock, something he can't quite process due to his confidence, and so he doesn't. It's quick, yet the entire setting of the scene leaves it brutal and disturbing, which takes a lot of skill to handle tastefully.

The competition for BDA this month was tough, and I'd like to give a particular nod to Karen Idel as well, for a job extremely well done.

Guess T?
Guess T?

February 15th, 2014, 4:23 am #18

BKA: Hansel Williams

I really loved the entire fight scene between Hansel and Theo. It flowed well, it was realistic, it was pretty flipping brutal, too. No real fancy reasons behind this, I'm just a sucker for well-written fight scenes, I guess.

BDA: Jesse Jennings

Jesse's always been a kid who simply exploded with personality, and that definitely shined bright in his death, especially right before he, well, exploded. Jesse having delusions of grandeur instants before everything blew up in his face was a great end to a great character.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

February 17th, 2014, 7:59 pm #19

That's a wrap! Hand on for results soon.