V5 BKA/BDA Voting: August 2013

Violent-Medic
Winner

August 29th, 2013, 1:38 am #1

Hellooo. Here's this month's BKA contest. As always, it'll be up for five (5) days and then shut down so we can get the announcement up and rolling.

Reminders, in case you don't know the drill:

- People will not be rolled over who miss the start of a contest, even if they have an extension.
- Please read all deaths and kills before voting.
- Votes that do not provide a reason for the voting (at least a sentence or two, though more is quite welcome) will be disqualified.
- Tell us why you loved your votes, but don't say mean things about the scenes you didn't vote for.
- Votes are anonymous, so log out first.

BEST KILL AWARD:

Rutherford Roger Jr., for killing Lauren Rowe
Madeline Wilcox, for killing Nina Clarke
Maximilian Sawyer, for killing Ilya Volkov
Maximilian Sawyer, for killing Lydia Robbins
Rosemary Michaels, for killing Joey Caputo
Joachim Lovelace, for killing Adonis Alba
Hansel Williams, for killing Mallory McCormick
Stephanie Chan, for killing Brian Zhdanovich
Kammy So'oialo, for killing Carlon Wheeler

BEST DEATH AWARD:

Iceblock, for the death of Lauren Rowe
Espional, for the death of Nina Clarke
Solitair, for the death of Ilya Volkov
MurderWeasel, for the death of Lydia Robbins
LocoBroJoe, for the death of Joey Caputo
chitoryu12, for the death of Clayton Leven
Rattlesnake, for the death of Tessa Blackridge
Aura Master Fox, for the death of Adonis Alba
ViolentMedic, for the death of Mallory McCormick
Fioriboy, for the death of Brian Zhdanovich
Imehal, for the death of Carlon Wheeler
[+] spoiler

(Sprites courtesy of the awesome Fenris.)

B020 - Daniel "Danny" Brooks | Weapon: Portable CD player with batteries | DECEASED
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: N/A
V6 - 1 2 3 4

G002 - Lillian "Lily" Caldwell | Weapon: Army Helmet | DECEASED
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: 1 2
V6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

G043 - Clarice Halwood | Weapon: Can of Air Freshener | ALIVE
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: 1
V6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[+] spoiler
B020 - Joe Carrasco | Weapon: Dressage Whip | DECEASED - "All the wishes... impossible. Gun's enough."
PREGAME - Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Prom: 1 2 3 4
V5 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

G003 - Naomi Bell | Weapon: Electric Hedge Trimmers | DECEASED - "S-s-stop."
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 3 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Prom: 1
V5 - 1 2 | Meanwhile - 1

G043 - Mallory McCormick | Weapon: Flathead Screwdriver | DECEASED - "Okay... Hospital... Then tennis..."
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V5 - 1 2 3 4 5 | Meanwhile - 1

swirlythingy
swirlythingy

August 29th, 2013, 2:06 am #2

BKA: Joachim Lovelace. This was a well-planned out and imaginative fight scene given a unique twist with the ballistic knife. The pacing was great and Joachim's five-word-long final post before the death comes across as more of a punchline than anything else - which, given Adonis's natural surprise at the sudden turnaround in events, seems oddly appropriate.

BDA: Joey Caputo. Not much to say here, I just thought it was a really well-written final post, made all the more immersive by the accelerating rhythm of the Beeps of Doom. The franticness of everyone involved in the scene is conveyed very effectively here.

???
???

August 29th, 2013, 2:10 am #3

BKA: Maximilian Sawyer for killing Lydia Robbins.

Absolutely loved everything about that thread. While the main eye catcher is that, yes, Max did just kill three people in rather quick fashion, that description is an injustice. What must have been the most troubling, especially in a scenario like that, is making it feel real. And that's what exactly it did. You can believe Max's reasons for what he is doing, albeit his actions are indeed very brutal, and show how a person will do what they need to do in order to live, without showing it as the necessarily right thing to do. The ending with Lydia shows that Max hasn't gone off the deep end, and is just another guy who's trying to live a bit longer. It's kind of sad in away, as while Max is willing to do these terrible things, he's either forced into doing them or he's going to let himself die. So it just shows how bleak things can become on the island, without forcing people to be either the hero or villain.

BDA: This one was really hard :(. But in the end, I have to make a decision: Aura Master Fox, for the death of Adonis Alba.

Why? Because it was...well, badass! I was getting very antsy and excited once the standoff between Joachim and Adonis began, and literally checking back frequently many times a day, hoping the story had continued till it's epic conclusion. More importantly, it gives a very good ending to Adonis's character arc, and it shows that you don't need to have a long adventure on the island to be a good read. His ending is actually very sad and tragic, and while he may not be hero, I couldn't hope he would be the one to come out on top, even though I knew that wouldn't happen. It's a very good scene if I ever want an emotional high.

Anna May
Anna May

August 29th, 2013, 2:49 am #4

BKA: I'm going to give it to Rosemary Michaels for the show we got during Joey Caputo's death sequence. I thought it was pretty unconventional and also a bit amusing in that she didn't seem to believe that history could repeat itself, though in this case it had much more dire consequences for her foolishness.

There's also the reason that I'd like to see how she would react to getting a weapon for committing a case of manslaughter against a friend, so there's that, too.

BDA: I'm going to give it to Iceblock for the death of Lauren Rowe. I like how, in her death post, she wasn't introspective at all, or she at least didn't have time to (which, if that was the point, I'll gladly applaud Iceblock for keeping the "time" theme going). I'm more of a fan of short-and-sweet over long-and-...uhm...prose, so that's kind of a part of it.

Overall, I thought she was an interesting character who had a good end from bad luck, and it's tragic that her Doom clock was shorter than the other 120 students who beat her out. Good job, Iceblock.

Guessed
Guessed

August 29th, 2013, 3:38 am #5

BKA: Maximilian Sawyer, for killing Lydia Robbins

I'm not picking this because of the triple kill, though it could very well be an IC reason.

Slayer's posts have a certain power to them. They flow, and then hit hard stops, just enough to emphasize what needs to be emphasized. And Max isn't bland - his personality drives the words. I particularly like the end of the fourth paragraph and fifth paragraph in Post #18 in Hollow Stars (the post after Lydia enters).

Honorable mention to Rosemary Michaels and MrMissMrs Random. The post immediately after Joey's death hit hard.

BDA: LocoBroJoe, for the death of Joey Caputo

This one was tough; lots of good deaths this month. There's just something about this one that draws me. It's not flawless, but there are some powerful sentiments in it. Like not knowing what to do with the adrenaline, not being able to pick an emotion in the short time he had before dying. That's the best I can articulate it.

Honorable mention to Adonis Alba and Aura Master Fox. I like seeing the pregame stuff wrap around, and it's interesting to see how he ended up developing from the typical bully jerk stereotype.

August 29th, 2013, 3:52 am #6

BKA: RJ, for killing Lauren. Not only do I feel like the terrorists would give it to him just to rub his blowing her away in his face, but I loved the way the scene was built up to its sudden but explosive climax, as cliche as that might sound. The combination of interesting circumstance, believable reactions and an understated but impactful death made this scene stand out.

BDA: Lauren Rowe. This might be a stylistic bias on my part, but I loved the punchy, relatively undramatic way her death post was written. No big melodrama, no closure, just dead because she was at the wrong place, at the wrong time. In its own way, that hits a lot harder than any longwinded dying speech could, because she never really even had a chance.

Zis is madness!
Zis is madness!

August 29th, 2013, 12:22 pm #7

BKA: Maximilian Sawyer for killing everybodyLydia and Ilya (and maybe Amy?)

This here is mostly seen from the perspective of the terrorists. They want the students to rampage on and through each other, so they have this litte nifty BKA, to reward the one that turned on their fellow clasmates. At the end of day three, Max has proven himself to be one of the most dangerous people out there, who also racked up a nice body count already. I can see why the terrorists would love him.

BDA: Iceblock, for the death of Lauren Rowe

This is a bit tough to explain but I shall try nonetheless. What I like with her death was primarly the used writing style. Ice's ability to make me feel for and understand his character combined with the narrative creates a very enjoyable scene on the side of Lauren. In fact, it helped me getting over my slight sulkiness about the rolls back then, given that I wanted Lauren to advance further.

Honorable Mention: Death, for winning at a game of Go Fish

I like creative deaths. I like scenes that are not enterly real. I like Discworld. This should explain the reasons for my runner-up.

Sakura Oogami is my waifu
Sakura Oogami is my waifu

August 30th, 2013, 5:27 pm #8

Best Kill Award: This month, I found my favorite killing to be Joachim Lovelace's murder of Adonis Alba. I think what I really liked about this kill is that it was a good sort of end for Adonis, while also being a pretty good kill at Joachim's hands. Joachim has been doing the dirty work with his alliance with Jaquilyn, something that I think is strange considering Jaquilyn has Matt Masters' gun. However, Joachim is clearly showboating by offering to be Adonis' opponent, something that clearly presents a strange dichotomy between how they act.

If anything, what is cool is that Joachim totally loses the fight. Adonis cuts him and gets his blade to Joachim's throat. By all means, Joachim should be dead. However, Joachim has the ballistic knife, something that he uses to his advantage. Sure, there's a strange corniness to the kill ("Looks like it's game over, bro." "Yes, it is." *fire*), but I kind of liked it. Adonis spent the whole game having his past catch up to him, and even though he tried to get better, he was just never going to win. It's a death that is going to put more pressure on Joachim and Jaquilyn, so their plans may be shaken up from this event. I look forward to the result of that.

Best Death Award: I'm choosing The Death of Mallory McCormick as my choice for best death. Mallory was a character like many of the students in this version: expecting to be rescued and simply trying to wait for any sign of help by distracting herself with a project or quest. Her's was a lot more childish, but kind of endearing. Build a pillow fort! Play tennis! I love it.

Of course, in comes Hansel to fuck up Fluffytown (or would it be Blanketburg?) I do like that there is some cyclical nature to Mallory's story, starting and ending with an encounter with the crazy cowboy of Seattle. Sure, it doesn't end well, but at least it meant that Stephanie was alive to be there for Mallory. I think I enjoy Mallory's death because she isn't even thinking about dying. She doesn't even believe she's dying. She simply thinks this is a minor setback and that they'll still be able to go play games together. I guess this is a fairly nice way to go. She's in pain, but she's not wallowing in regret or anger. She's simply annoyed, but thinks she can make it past this. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to, and because of that, she's my vote for Best Death.

BestestGuestest
BestestGuestest

August 30th, 2013, 8:46 pm #9

BKA:

I'd go with Maximilian Sawyer for killing Lydia Robbins, though I'm kind of voting for him for the entire streak of kills he got right there. It can be really hard to write multiple kills without screwing up motivations or just being repetitive. Not only did Maximilian avoid that, all of the kills were written incredibly well and interestingly. He's got my vote.

BDA:

Hands down Rattlesnake for Tessa Blackridge. I just love seeing creative deaths, and this one really sticks out to me as an interesting and almost funny concept. Almost jealous I didn't think of it myself. Despite a little confusion first over how she actually died, the post kept me reading and entertained.

KillingMyAnnabelLee
KillingMyAnnabelLee

August 30th, 2013, 11:13 pm #10

Sorry for missing the last round guys, I actually had no idea it was going on. Probably for the best though, I hadn't read most of those death scenes.

Anyway, best kill is going to Joachim Lovelace. It was very clear that the handlers worked together on this death given the irony in the dialogue, but that made it fun. It definitely wasn't the first nor last epic sneak kill, but it was entertaining. I bet you that Bikriki was waiting awhile to kill somebody that way, and I'm glad he got to do it.

And best death, while I liked a lot of them, is going to Mallory McCormick. She's her awkward self to the end, and you just hate that you love a dying character. She's so cute and naive and silly, and then she's bleeding all over her pillow fort. Really, Medic did a fantastic job balancing cute and horrifying in this entire thread. The end result is simply tragic, and it was fantastic.