V4 BKA/BDA Voting: May 2011

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 31st, 2011, 4:33 am #1

Once again, here's this month's BKA/BDA.

This will run through whenever on the 1st the announcement goes up (or later, if there is any delay).

Anyone with an extension is getting bumped to next month's contest so that we stay on schedule. I don't really think there is anyone, unless I'm forgetting, which is quite likely. No one involved in the rescue is going on either of these lists, due to the ambiguous nature of things (and, of course, inability to retrieve BKA weapons).

That said, here you go:

Best Kill:
Liam Brooks for killing Örn “Dutchy” Ayers
Alex White for killing Annaliese Hansen and Rosa Fiametta
Maf Tuigamala for killing Nick Reid
Kitty Glittschall for killing Micheal Raynor
Kris Hartmann for killing Roland Hayes
Hayley Kelly for killing Charlene Norris

Best Death:
Tythanin for the death of Melissa Li
Dom for the death of Dave Morrison
Little Boy for the death of Örn “Dutchy” Ayers
Randomness for the death of Adrian Staib
Super Llama for the death of Maria Graham
Betaknight for the death of Annaliese Hansen
Clubelle for the death of Rosa Fiametta
Rattlesnake for the death of Nick Reid
Hollyquin for the death of Jasper-Declan MacDermott
Solitair for the death of Roland Hayes
Arscapi for the death of Gracie Wainwright
decoy73 for the death of Charlene Norris
xylophonefairy for the death of Helen Wilson

Fanatic is Sexy
Fanatic is Sexy

May 31st, 2011, 4:42 am #2

Alex White for BDA -> Rosa / Anna as this was absolutely sickening and wrong. I think the graphic nature + emotional outburst adds to the scene hugely but not 'over the top' here. Great OOC writing and in game, fucked up as all hell so something danya would approve of, real ratings 'getter'

For BDA Helen Wilson. Xylophone is heavily under-rated here but an amazing writer and she conveyed the emergency self-surgery fantastically. Heartbreaking to know she was so close.

May 31st, 2011, 5:30 am #3

My post got deleted, so I'm going to make this one quick, but still detailed. Misses all the flavor though, wouldn't you know it...

BKA: Alex White. Hate the guy and hope somebody puts a bullet in his skull, but every so often there's just a kill that manages to freak me out a little. Alex was the one who pulled it off this time. The pinning against the wall, the repeated injuries, the sexual innuendo as he assaulted Rosa... it's enough to just make you stop and go 'brrrr'. And sometimes, that's what I'm looking for.

BDA: Maria Graham. It was a toss-up between a couple deaths here, but Maria barely wins my vote. There are flecks of humor interspersed throughout the thread-long death, which only make her inevitable fate all that more sullen. You know she's going to die due to her injuries, but she's got people caring for her to the end, like it or not. I had a bit more here before, but the post got eaten last time and I can't be arsed to remember it. But there's a lot of meat to this one before the actual death, believe me.

May 31st, 2011, 7:46 pm #4

BKA: Alex White. This isn't a hard decision for me. No offense to the other kills this month, but this is the only kill I could vote for. While Alex's kills definitely took longer, at the same time it was satisfying in the most wrong way. I haven't really read much of this character in the past, but this scene alone has put him on my radar. If he doesn't get the BKA, I will definitely be surprised.

BDA: Annaliese Hansen. Oh god. Betaknight uses so few words during this scene. The idea of Annaliese believing she was only going to sleep made my heart break. I think this just overshadows Rosa's death because, well, Annaliese goes out with a whimper but has as much power as a full-on explosion. Betaknight deserves this.

Honorable mention goes to xylophone, who's death was so tragic that I almost put her down. Honestly I would be voting for her if Annaliese weren't in the picture.

June 1st, 2011, 7:47 am #5

BKA: Alex White - While there wasn't a whole lot to Alex killing Annaliese, the methodical harassment and torture of Rosa made my skin crawl. The unrepentant glee in Alex's attack was horrifying. If it had been a scene in a movie, it would be one that you watch between your fingers because it's so terrible but you can't look away. Which is what makes for a memorable BKA.

BDA: Maria Graham - Oh, Maria. There's the real world and Maria's world. She's always been crazy and loopy, but she's been battered and broken for so long. But it never seemed to damage her spirits in any way. Her death was really sweet without becoming overly sappy. It was a fitting end for The World According to Maria.

Jeff Foxworthy
Jeff Foxworthy

June 1st, 2011, 8:04 am #6

Best Death - Annaliese Hansen

Wow. Just... just wow. Annaliese's death was amazing. Been reading the Rannaliese show for quite a while, and thoroughly enjoying it the entire time, but when it came for one of them to die, they did it with a bang. Quite literally. Annaliese's death was heartbreaking and actually managed to make me tear up a bit. Not often have I wept manly tears, but Annaliese's death?

Many manly tears were wept.

That was one hell of a series finale.

Best Kill - Kitty Glittschall

Reading this kill kind of reminded me of Jimmy's first kill. Not as brutal, not as destructive, but there is the whole out of control aspect of it. Kitty just keeps hitting him, again and again and again and again, not knowing if he was like the red skeletons or not. There wasn't any real reason for her to kill someone, but she did it, and she made sure it stuck. Just another step on her transition from innocent girl to heartless bitch.

If it weren't for that untimely explosion removing Anna Chase, I'd hate to see a second scene between Kitty and Anna. I don't think Anna would survive.

June 1st, 2011, 11:49 am #7

Best Kill: Alex White
-It got hard for me to read all of what Alex did, but by the end of this month he's cemented his position as the most loathsome, irredeemable character in the game. It may be a bit of cheating to put him here, since it was him almost(?) killing Andrea that really made me hate him, but in retrospect, Rosa and Anna are kills I'll have a hard time forgetting, too.

Best Death: Helen Wilson
-Xylophone took a death concept that sounds utterly preposterous on paper and somehow managed to make it visceral and dramatic. That's really about all I can say.

Vriska Serket
Vriska Serket

June 1st, 2011, 12:26 pm #8

BKA - Kitty Gischall as written by Ciel

I've had a character that interacted with Kitty way back when she was with Roland, and I'll admit I didn't end up following her like I wish I had. She has evolved so much as a character. The way the death itself is written is good, but it's what comes after that really cinches this for me.
wrote:"Stop faking." She growled. She jabbed the body with her bat. The feminine voice in the back of her head was disappointed and Kitty did her best to push it away. She listened for a response. She didn't get one.

"Hey!" She screamed. She lifted the bat and hit the twisted corpse in the back. "Get up. Fight like a man!"

She hit it again. And again.

"Pissant little fuck! Stop playing possum! Get up!"
To me it reads like she wanted a fight, wanted some excuse, some justification for what she had just done, and was just... angry at the corpse for up and dying so fast. Also, to see a first time player evolve this late in the game is something I hadn't seen so far, but I definitely like the idea. You've come so far, been on the island so long... Days away from escape, you just... break. Something inside you snaps. Kitty's kill here is representitive of that possibility in all of us.

BKA - Rosa Fiametta - As written by Lily

It was yet another heartfelt, dramatic death, as we so often here on survival of the fittest. But the writing style is glorious. I think it's a little more representative of death as a whole, the way the flashbacks are handled. I've seen some gorgeous deaths in the past where the flashback is one solid chunk, but here it's scattered memories, woven intricately into the girls final chapter, and the effect is stunningly powerful. Lily managed to take the "ultimate shipping character" and turn her into something so, so much more.

Foxtrot Echo
Foxtrot Echo

June 2nd, 2011, 12:22 am #9

BKA-- Kitty G

I like players becoming players this late. I like the kill. I liked what was going on in Kitty's head--frantic, talking, scattered, violence, wordswordswords and suddenly silence. I liked the understatement--one blow to the head, and done. It was unusual, nearly minimalist, striking, efficent, internally consistant, and well-done. Props to Seel.

BDA--Helen W

This one was pure tragedy. Not a murder, not a crime, not a gorefest--just a girl, getting ill, trying desperately to put herself back together, And the fact that it happens right before the escape--stumbling to the boats, and collapsing from bloodloss, dying on the shores--just made it even more incredibly sad.

Your Mother
Your Mother

June 2nd, 2011, 12:56 am #10

BKA: Kitty Glittschall

I almost voted for Alex White on this, but after reading both threads again I'm giving this to Kitty. I love how she expected more. More from her kill, and wanted more. I remember how she was ready to play the game before Alex Rasputin got to her, and I'm glad the intention stayed.

BDA: Xylophonefairy for Helen Wilson

I was a bit skeptical when I was reading this death, but she pulled it off. It was gory, but understated gory . And the conversation she has with herself during the procedure and her final moment is what makes it for me.