Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
Guesty McGuesterson the II
Guesty McGuesterson the II

June 2nd, 2011, 1:32 am #11

BKA - Kitty Gittschall

Not many of the people who started the game in v4 who vowed to play, actually got to play to their full extent. Most of them died. Most of them decided against it. Kitty did neither, she's been waiting since Day 1 to play, and the way in which her mind tries to edge her own, tries to get more for her, is a pretty damn good sign of why we've chosen first-time killers for every kill in v4. There's more there, there's way more going on, there's a type of raw-ness inside each first taste of blood that each of these killers get that puts them far ahead of the rest.

BDA - Helen Wilson

Well, we've given out BDA for weirder things in the past, if I recall. Guy who died on waking up, many assisted suicides, accidents upon accidents upon accidents, yet here we have a scene not unlike one Robert Jacob Lowe a few months ago. Similar situation, the appendix, right? Well, she's got the brains to help herself, right? Well, brains aren't enough. What kind of girl thinks she can cut out her own appendix and live? This girl. The way it's written gives it such an extra oomph; skeptics can be turned into believers - I believed that she could make it, I knew she knew what she was doing. But did it pay off? No. That's the punch in the stomach for you. These two posts show the little, understated Helen who was a co-part in this whole escape attempt, and now, for her to get so close to something she helped orchestrate, and just fall short of the line...it tears me up.

So yeah, that's my take on this month, and why they deserve what they should get.

Some guy
Some guy

June 2nd, 2011, 10:31 am #12

Best Kill Award: Alex White

I'm not going to lie, before reading Monsters I never really took much notice of Alex White. However, after reading his latest kill, he's pretty much established himself as being THE late game player to look out for. And whilst i'm admittedly a tad jealous of all the attention he's getting, seeing as I'm also writing a villainous character myself, I cannot deny that all the hype he's beginning to build up is definitely deserved. And whilst Kitty's brutal dispatching of Michael Raynor was pretty damn BKA-worthy in its own right, it was Alex White's kill that really caught my attention this month. Seriously, its very rare for me that a character does something that genuinely makes me want to see them burn alive in a firestorm of holy retribution... Which is a good thing, mind you.

Best Death Award: Maria Graham

I'll admit, i'm somewhat biased here seeing as Maria was one of my personal favourites, but even so I still think her death deserved another honourable mention. Its just so tragic seeing a character who started out really cheerful and bubbly slowly die of an infection as the world around them falls apart. The fact that the only person she can take comfort in his a hallucination of her dead crush, who even she herself admits isn't actually real at all, just makes the whole thing all the more tragic. : (

mr. guest
mr. guest

June 5th, 2011, 7:44 pm #13

BKA: Kris Hartmann for the killing of Roland Hayes

This month's BKA was a breeze for me. While there were a fair number of good kills, only one exemplified everything I like to see from the month's best kill. Kris' kill was wonderfully executed both in and out of character. It was well written, just flashy enough, and brilliantly planned. It's rare that we see someone playing smart, choosing to engage in a tactical fashion rather than simply get in another gun/melee fight. Kris' use of C4 as a trap was brilliant, and her ability to carry it through really showed her as a force to be reckoned with. This is, in my opinion, not only the best kill of the month, but among the best of the entire version thus far.

BDA: Rattlesnake for the death of Nick Reid

If BKA was easy, BDA was the exact opposite. Even my fifth favorite death this month could give most of our earlier BDA winners a run for their money. That's not at all to say that winners from past months were bad; they were excellent. This month was just the best month for deaths I've seen in a very long time. Anyways, Nick's death wins out for me because it was one of the most emotional and perfectly-fitting deaths I've seen. Throughout it all, Nick feels like Nick, and you can forget all the mistakes he's made, all the people he's killed, and just follow along with his thought process and feelings. It's a beautiful piece of writing, and I hope it will be one of the deaths remembered long after V4 is past.

Finally, a shout out to BetaKnight's Annaliese Hansen, for giving Nick a very good run for his money for my vote, and also to some of our excellent deaths that have not yet received any votes. Specifically, Tythanin's Melissa Li, Little Boy's Dutchy Ayers, and Solitair's Roland Hayes made this a great month. You all should be very proud of your writing.

June 6th, 2011, 3:41 am #14

BKA I don't feel particularly comfortable doing, because what 'Danya' would theoretically pick is not something I feel is deserving of the award.

BDA, however, is Annaliese hands down. I love Tre's writing in general and she achieves such a soft, delicate feel with this post, making it feel vaguely dreamlike and incredibly peaceful, giving us a real glimpse into the mindset and emotional state of the character. It's a very fitting end to her storyline, and gives a brief moment's respite in a game otherwise filled with gory and frantic, painful deaths. Well played.

June 6th, 2011, 4:20 am #15

BDA: Annaliese Hansen. Monsters had its flaws, but Annaliese's death was an amazing way to start it off. I already gushed about Tre last time she won BDA, so I'll keep it simple here. Annaliese's death was a pretty dramatic contrast from most of this month's others: it was simple, sudden, & quick. It was only made more impactful because of it. The convoluted, drawn-out deaths can be fun, but we need more deaths like Annaliese's. Tre conveyed exactly the feelings she needed to convey to make this death hit home, & left it at that. The tone was absolutely perfect & the scene did exactly what it set out to do really effectively (which was break my goddamn heart). Fantastic sendoff for two of v4's most artfully concise (& just plain best) writers. I know this'll make Tre's second win this version, but I would give this woman ten nulls if it were up to me.

Also, nods to Nick Reid, Dutchy, &, while the kill bothered me on a personal level, Rosa. We had an insanely good batch of deaths this month, but these three really stood out to me along with Annaliese.

June 6th, 2011, 4:29 am #16

Best Kill - Kitty Gitschall

None of the kills this month really 'did' it for me. All the deaths that stuck out were just that - the deaths were spectacular, they completely overshadowed the kills. I'm voting for Kitty here merely because I felt her reaction after her kill really stuck with me. I thought her reaction to killing someone so easily was spot on. It wasn't really special by any means but it certainly struck a chord.

Best Death - Annaliese Hansen

I'm going to come out and say it. This is how deaths should be done. It was quick, it was nasty, and it tore your heart out and ripped it to shreds. I didn't like the thread itself that much but Annaliese's death was a stunning contrast to the rest of the thread. It fits her character well. A perfect standoff. Tre is out of the game, I know that, but damn it she deserves this.

June 6th, 2011, 4:58 am #17

BDA: Helen Wilson
Helen and Annaliese were two of my favorite deaths this month, but I'm going to have to go with Helen. The self surgery made me cringe and squirm, but all the while she had great characterization and it was agonizing that she almost made it out, but fell short. I could feel her pain. Loved it.

BKA: Alex White
This one was soooo close. Seel did a fantastic job with Kitty and I thought Kris' trap was really clever but this one is going to Alex White. I thought it was really interesting how Alex's mental state was reflected in the writing style, particularly with Rosa.

June 6th, 2011, 5:39 am #18

BDA: Annaliese Hansen In terms of deaths, the moment was rather quick. And honestly, that is part of the reason it was so powerful. There are all these little moments in it, such as when she feels the cold and when she wants to tell Ray about the blood on his face. There all very simple, and yet they make the moment all the more powerful and thus, my vote for BDA.

BKA: Kitty Gittschall In this instance, while the action itself is rather simple. A bat to the head. It is the repeated uses of said weapon after that really make this kill worth it. There is just a brutality to it and to the SOTF home viewer, words like "Stop Faking" and "Get up, fight like a man" really hit home and make the kill all the more intense and thus, my vote for BKA

Deputy Dawg
Deputy Dawg

June 6th, 2011, 5:56 am #19

BKA - Kitty Gittschall

Standing on its own, this kill is easily comparable to all the others nominated here. Given the context, the buildup, the anticipation of Kitty working towards her first kill: it's the best hands down.

BDA - Helen Wilson

Wow. Not ashamed to admit I cried when reading this (and not just because this is anonymous). It's been said already, but I didn't read this expecting to be impressed, and it blew me away. To see Helen get so close, so plausibly close, and have it snatched away from her....

In a way, I hope other writers aren't encouraged by xylophonefairy's example with Helen, because reading this hurt.

Well done. So much well done.

June 6th, 2011, 6:24 am #20

BKA: Liam Brooks (killing Örn “Dutchy” Ayers, MK Kilmarnock)

I preferred this kill because it just showed him slowly slipping down into the madness, that dark side that I really liked. Really scary and emotional.

BDA: Maria Graham (killed by wounds, Super Llama)

Is yelling out NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO a good response? No? OK. I liked this death because JESUS IT WAS SAD and just the thought of her finally giving up is painful. Well written ending to finish off her saga.