V4 BKA/BDA Voting February 2011

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!

February 28th, 2011, 5:00 pm #11

This was a tough month. There were several very good kills and deaths. In the end, though, I have to give the BKA to Nick LeMonde for his killing of Mike Jeffries. Nick's kill was something we haven't seen much of in V4. He acted friendly, got his target's back turned, then murdered him in the quickest manner possible. Really,w hat impressed me here was the efficiency and simple viciousness. I think Nick fairly well solidified his status as an awful person with this one action, and I think it's the sort of thing Danya would appreciate.

I'm going to toss my vote for BDA to BetaKnight for the death of Aislyn McCreery. There were some very good, very emotional deaths this round, but Aislyn's just had a few things that placed it above the rest. It was truly wonderful to see a character who had been dancing right on the edge of being sympathetic stay that way to the end. Aislyn remained completely in character throughout her death. The connections with her father were also incredibly touching, particularly given the role he has played in Aislyn's story and motivations on the island. Overall, this is my favorite death of this round, and possibly even V4 so far.

The Guest
The Guest

February 28th, 2011, 10:50 pm #12

Best Kill - Kris Hartmann

Good god, that was brutal. Impaling poor Janet Claymont on the twisted metal of the cell tower? God damn. Slamexo wrote Janet's death extremely well, fitting for the send off of his last character. But my vote for that scene would have to go to Kris for the shear brutality of the kill. A little disjointed, but it's Kris, so it fits perfectly. I loved that Kris has gone from accidental kills to cold blooded murder in a very nice scene. Again, amazing writing from both parties involved but my vote would definitely have to go for Kris.

Best Death - Aislyn McCreery

There were many great deaths this time around and it almost came down to a toss up between Aislyn and Colin, but in the end I had to put my vote in for Aislyn. Defiant right up until the end and always believing that her dad was coming for her. Hell, she told Steve to man the fuck up while she was bleeding out and I just loved that. I thoroughly enjoyed this death and BetaKnight's writing of it was just great. I'll definitely be following BetaKnight's last remaining character right up until the end and I'll be looking forward to another great death. All in all, a great scene and a great death.

March 1st, 2011, 3:51 am #13

BKA: Rhory Broderick

The attention to detail that karsk writes with is second to almost nobody. I loved all the nuances of the death written by both him and his partner, and as previously mentioned, the buildup of tension sold this scene to me entirely. A job very well done.

BDA: Aislyn McCreery

BetaKnight is fantastic, and often under-recognized as a writer. The strength of character in not just Aislyn's death, but the entirety of her story arc, painted magnificent undertones in her death. It was really a work of a mastered craft.

March 1st, 2011, 6:10 am #14

BKA: This time around, it was a three way tie between Nick for clever trickery and Brook and Kris for sheer brutality. In the end, I'm gonna go with Kris Hartmann, because she seemed a bit more subtly creepy during the kill, subtlety that I kind of missed with Brook. Nick's kill was a great idea in theory, but I don't think it was used to its full potential.

BDA: In this category, there were a few appealing entries, too. Sebastian's death was good for a laugh, once I understood what happened with him, and I was surprisingly moved by Logan's death, too. For a while, I was going to give this to Aislyn, but Colin Falcone edged her out at the last minute. It was a heartwarming scene that dovetailed into pregame in a great way, and I'm glad to see that all the text was worth it.

c: <3
c: <3

March 1st, 2011, 12:47 pm #15

BKA: Kimberly Nguyen

The quality of kills this month was pretty strong all around, but Toben just blew everyone out of the water this time around. As fun as a lot of this version's players are, I really feel like directing everyone who's trying to write one (myself included) to this scene with a big flashing sign saying THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT. I hesitate to call Kimberly a "villain", but she's entirely selfish, her actions are completely unjustifiable, and yet Toben still manages to have her come off as human and sympathetic. That's a balance a lot of us are failing to strike, but Kimberly has it in spades.

BDA: Aislyn McCreery

This whole scene was ridiculously quality. I couldn't agree more with the comment up there that Tre is too often overlooked. Since her praises are thankfully being sung all over this thread, I'm going to point out something specific I really loved about this death: Tre made sure to involve the rest of the characters around her as much as possible. Too often on here, deaths become self-contained little shows that cast the dying character as the main star. It was really refreshing to see something with a little more group participation. Telling Steven he was a pussy was brilliant in its own right, but calling Kimberly out just before she went was a great touch. This is a death that's going to impact the characters in that scene massively going forward, & it'll be fun to see how it affects them. In the meantime, Tre needs a damn null for being so fantastic.

Happy Guest Time Adventure Town
Happy Guest Time Adventure Town

March 1st, 2011, 6:11 pm #16

BKA: Kimberly Nguyen

I love how Kimberly tried to play the master manipulator, screwing with people's heads just for the hell of it, and then in one brief moment completely screwed that up for herself.

BDA: Cassidy Wakemore

Because it's a really good, well-written death that deserves at least one vote this voting thing.

Namira
Mr. Danya

March 4th, 2011, 12:45 am #17

Thank you all for your votes. Poll closed.

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith