Leaf
Player

September 10th, 2016, 4:21 pm #16

Slam wrote:It's too bad SOTF doesn't just have an outright logo we could use.
I could make one in paint and ask Frogue to do make 2000% better?
[+] Spoiler
Born underneath a Canadian sky to parents who were quite possibly mounties, Lore roamed the wild unknowns of Quebec, becoming a kickass gamer girl and a sassy action lady. She has both fought a beaver to the death and won several arguments on instagram. Scientists have struggled for years to figure out which is sharper - her wit or Valyrian steel. She is most known outside of SOTF for her portrayal of Yuno Gasai in the anime series The Future Diaries, which she shot for 43 days on-location. She still has the pink hair dye.

backslash
Mr. Danya

September 10th, 2016, 4:29 pm #17

I guess that would come down to whether more people want just a logo/banner for the site as a whole, or something that shows some of the characters. Personally, I'd prefer the latter but I'm also not the one who would get saddled with making it because I can't art.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] Spoiler
V5:
G063 Natali Greer was just unlucky.
B047 Marcus Leung lost his way. (Adopted from Solomir.)

V6:
B001 Min-jae Parker is locked away.
B021 Crist?bal Morales let his guard down.
G017 Raina Rose got washed away.
G003 Bridgette Sommerfeld got a shock. (Adopted from Aloha.)
G029 Georgia Lee Day went home. (Adopted from frogue.)
Nathan Lovegrove was left behind.

V7 Pregame:
Myles Roux is considering his options.
Dolores Upton is exploring the past.
Andy Silverman is balling out.
Siyanda Nagi is on the run.
Mercy Ames is passing judgment.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

Yugikun
Mr. Danya

September 10th, 2016, 10:12 pm #18

Just going to mention in terms of the alignment chart: I was planning on putting up a v6 island alignment thread around when the halfway point hit, and actually find someone to do art for the people in the chart. We seem to be heading towards a logo, but I figure that it's information worth knowing.
[+] Spoiler

G???: Anna "Roxanne" Herbert - "...It's a god-awful small affair..." - 0%
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2 3
THEME: Dire Straits - Skateaway

G???: Teresa Rojas - "..." - 0%
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2
THEME: Tata Young - Sexy Naughty Bitchy Me

B???: Jonathan Meyers - "..." - 0%
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1
THEME: Kate Miller-Heidke - Caught In The Crowd
[+] Spoiler
Ashley Tanner - The Tattooed Jackass - "We got the music, we got the drinks, I think we have a recipe for some rock n' roll."
Yuko Hayashibara - The Tomboy - "Yo, homeboy, come over here. I wanna play some ball."
[+] Spoiler

B003: Jeremy Frasier - ?Yeah. No regrets.? - 57%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 3 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Sadie Hawkins: 1 2
V6: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
THEME: OneRepublic - Love Runs Out

B013: Alvaro Vacanti - ?Thank... you...? - 41%
Kills: 3 | Equipped with: MAC-10
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 3 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 | Sadie Hawkins: 1 2
V6: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
THEME: The Megas - The Haystack Principle

G030: Jasmine King - "I win." - 11%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Brass Knuckles
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: 1
V6: 1 2 3 4 5
THEME: Luck Ganriki - golden sneer

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Violent-Medic
Winner

September 10th, 2016, 11:30 pm #19

On the image thing, I keep pondering and picturing like... an image with terrorists up the top doing the ominous looking over the thing thing (or just one of the Danyas hanging out doing the announcements), and maybe like... if we're focusing on a single version, a cluster of either important or just late-game kids down below. (Obviously crossover there in some cases.) If it was from multiple games it'd be like 'who the fuck do you put here without overcrowding.' (I might try and sketch something out just to get across what I mean better.)

Or, alternately, something similar to the chart except that it's like... kids that just picked different goals/different ways of playing. Maybe a vote for characters who'd fit that. Or just the late-game thing again, which would be easier. But a vote could get characters from everywhere.

Also on the subject of the TV Tropes page, I'd personally kinda like to see people adding more in the like... crowner sections? The awesome/heartwarming/funny/tearjerker/nightmare fuel pages are basically like the plastic hammers, after all.
[+] Spoiler

(Sprites courtesy of the awesome Fenris.)

B020 - Daniel "Danny" Brooks | Weapon: Portable CD player with batteries | DECEASED
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: N/A
V6 - 1 2 3 4

G002 - Lillian "Lily" Caldwell | Weapon: Army Helmet | DECEASED
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: 1 2
V6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

G043 - Clarice Halwood | Weapon: Can of Air Freshener | ALIVE
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: 1
V6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[+] Spoiler
B020 - Joe Carrasco | Weapon: Dressage Whip | DECEASED - "All the wishes... impossible. Gun's enough."
PREGAME - Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Prom: 1 2 3 4
V5 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

G003 - Naomi Bell | Weapon: Electric Hedge Trimmers | DECEASED - "S-s-stop."
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 3 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Prom: 1
V5 - 1 2 | Meanwhile - 1

G043 - Mallory McCormick | Weapon: Flathead Screwdriver | DECEASED - "Okay... Hospital... Then tennis..."
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V5 - 1 2 3 4 5 | Meanwhile - 1

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

September 11th, 2016, 4:38 am #20

There's also the little issue of using characters for something semi-official without seeming exclusionary. Like, TVTropes is emphatically "whatever goes" territory to me, but for the wiki...

Eh, okay, I guess it's history time. See, in ye olde days, the site actually had a custom theme which used pictures of Dodd, Hawley, Madeleine, and Cassandra Roivas (whose full-size image never got posted to a wiki and is thus unrecovered) for its buttons. While this was interesting and certainly unique to SOTF, it also had issues. A large number of members had no idea who these characters were meant to be. Of those who did, opinion was a bit split. It's really cool to have your character/work featured as one of the iconic faces of SOTF. That said, it doesn't feel great to not be featured. Since SOTF, in terms of both characters and handlers, is impossibly huge, far more would by necessity be excluded than included. Any sort of line of selection would likely be arbitrary (not really fun for anyone), voting-driven (turns what's already gonna to some extent risk feeling exclusionary into a popularity contest), or focused on "importance" to a version/the overall story (which doesn't feel good because one of our big ideas is that characters matter and are worthwhile whether they win or die on day two).

I dunno. I may be overthinking this, and I really, really love art of SOTF from our numerous incredibly talented handlers. I just also don't want something that should be a really positive celebration of the site to turn negative in any fashion.

backslash
Mr. Danya

September 11th, 2016, 4:27 pm #21

Yeah, I didn't mean for whatever hypothetical character portrait to be the thing that replaces the wiki image. For the trope page, it would be cool if there was something on the main part for whichever version is currently running/most recent, but the wiki would be a more appropriate place for just a logo or banner. The difference for me is that displaying some characters on the trope page would give people unfamiliar with the site a better idea of what the focus is, while the wiki is more generally informative and shouldn't invite bias.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] Spoiler
V5:

V6:

V7 Pregame:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

September 11th, 2016, 5:50 pm #22

Yeah, in that case that sounds pretty solid to me.

Laurels
Mr. Danya

September 11th, 2016, 6:04 pm #23

Also something to consider is that the various book covers for the Battle Royale novel tend to have covers where it's more about the kind of characters in the story and not specific characters. Even if you can sort of tell the characters on the cover are supposed to be people like Shuya, Noriko, or Mitsuko, it's more that they're young people who are armed and in a dangerous situation.

We could do something similar for the pages where it's a generic male and female who are armed or in combat. It can be something similar to but still different enough from the book covers. We could also use some of the common imagery from these games (such as cameras, collars, islands, and weapons) for the image.

I've posted some of the example covers from a Google search in the spoilers.
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
Nadia Riva
"You don't think I'm pretty enough to be a model? And you're telling me while wearing that face?"

Noah Whitley
"You look like you could use a laugh, and I have just the joke for that."

Alba Reyes
"Woo hoo! Three holes in one! That's a new record!"
[+] Spoiler
Girl #007-Rachael Langdon
"I really am going to die, aren't I? Oh god, what am I going to do?"

Armed with a Solar Powered Scientific Calculator
Stabbed with a sword by Marcus Leung.
Girl #018-Claire Monaghan
"You know, I always thought I'd be seen by millions. Fuck Murphy's Law."

Armed with a Shotgun Flashlight (1 Bullet) and a bulletproof vest

Girl #035-Sophie McDowell
"People often find inspiration in the darkest times. I guess I can too."
Killed by a grenade thrown by Summer Simms

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

19:10 Laurelena: When octopi eat hamsters, the resulting laughter is a mix of colorful idiocy and dainty ice skating

18:10 Mimi: "how many nipples does Miss Piggy REALLY have?"

16:57 Mimi play Fergaliscious
16:58 Mimi IF YOU EVER WANT FANS
16:58 Mimi YOU NEED FERALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi FERGALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi Omg
16:58 Mimi feral-liscious
16:58 Mimi that's
16:58 Mimi blowing my mind

16:57 KamiKaze Laurie, if you ever become a mod, let it be known that one day you will critique someone's profile who had a girl killing her family friend because he raped her, and the person will insult you by calling you a talking Oshawott doll.

21:42Acidic i AM ANAL WART MAN

00:19Delroy.... I HAVE AN IMAGE OF HANSEL FUCKING TRAVIS WITH A CHAINSAW STUCK IN MY HEAD. HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY GOOD!?

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon and Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

September 11th, 2016, 7:00 pm #24

Oh god, that third BR cover is the worst. There are a lot of things wrong with that edition, though, so maybe not the best tangent for this thread. I really, really love the first BR cover, though. It's incredibly iconic, and the optical illusion that is made super obvious in cover #2 is much more subtle. Never seen cover #4 before, but it's cool too.

backslash
Mr. Danya

March 16th, 2017, 4:32 pm #25

Bumping for a little PSA about formatting on the Tropes page: remember to use the preview button before saving your edits to make sure you haven't missed any spoiler brackets, etc. It keeps everything nice and neat. Also make sure to read through the tropes that have already been added so that we don't end up with redundant entries, multiple entries saying the same thing about the same characters, etc.
[+] Spoiler
V5:

V6:

V7 Pregame:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

backslash
Mr. Danya

July 6th, 2017, 5:29 pm #26

Lately we've been trying to fill out the crowner pages on the TVTropes entry (those are the pages for awesome moments, funny moments, heartwarming moments, nightmare fuel, and tearjerkers, for those unfamiliar). If you've got a suggestion for a scene from V6 or other versions (minis too!) that isn't on the page, let us know! Any serious suggestion can be taken, since these pages are inherently subjective; you don't have to get a consensus about the chosen scene for it to be added to the page.

We most notably need more moments from Minis, V1 and V2, and heartwarming moments in general as that page doesn't technically exist yet.
[+] Spoiler
V5:

V6:

V7 Pregame:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

Flare
Contender

July 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm #27

backslash wrote:heartwarming moments in general as that page doesn't technically exist yet.
do you know what site we're on

/jk
V5 Characters:

Jack McDonald is a SELF-INSERT YAY.