Pippin
Winner

August 22nd, 2016, 9:49 pm #11

Christ, she was really making a mess of this, wasn’t she?

Mia sat up and scooted backwards, resting her back against the cold bedroom wall, tucking her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. She had two reasons for doing so, both of which were obviously of equal importance. Her nose was still bleeding, and didn’t look like it was planning on slowing down any time soon. She hurriedly wiped the stream with her already blood-smeared arm, and pinched the bridge of her nose. She’d read horror stories about people with nose bleeds lying at awkward angles and having the blood run into their brain, or something like that. Probably an urban legend or something, but right now, Mia didn’t want to take any chances with anything related to ‘horrible gruesome death’.

The other reason was because she’d heard the trepidation in Candice’s voice, and knew instantly that she’d fucked up, again. She looked over at the other girl, feeling like there was a pit opening up underneath her heart. She certainly wished she could just disappear into a pit right now. It was so stupid, she hadn’t been thinking at all, just vocalising her thoughts. Now Mia was regretting thinking about it as well.

She couldn’t help but put herself in her parents’ shoes, or her siblings, or Nathan’s, or any of her other friends who had stayed behind in Kingman. She didn’t want any of them to watch her right now; she knew there were places online to find out what had happened to her on the island, she’d stumbled upon them herself when the previous version had been running. But nothing good would come of them watching her progress. Even if, by some miracle, she made it out of this shitshow alive, she was going to have to encounter death and tragedy at some point. It was inevitable, one way or another. Maybe she would cry. Maybe she would mess up even further. Maybe she’d sink her reputation so far into the gutter that no-one back home would want anything more to do with her.

But Mia knew that everyone she loved would do their best to try and find footage of her to make sure she was still holding on, and she’d have done the exact same damn thing.

“Hey, listen, I’m really sorry,” Mia mumbled, removing her hand from her nose and instead sniffling occasionally to try and halt the flow of blood. “About, like… everything so far. I’m not really sure where my mind is, right now. Everything’s all jumbled up and I can’t think straight. None of this feels real, like it’s just some horrible dream I’ll wake up from any moment now… maybe it’s better to think like that than to get numb to all of this, though.”

Mia chuckled ruefully, before studying Candice for a few moments, a gentle smile on her face. When she spoke, she chose her words carefully and slowly.

“You know… there’s no reason this can’t go the same way it did a few years back. Like, when a whole bunch of kids got rescued? It happened once, there’s no reason it can’t happen again, right? I know it’s a long shot, but…”

‘But so was our chances of getting chucked into this living hell,’ she wanted to say, but she knew that would go down like the Titanic.

“… but stranger things have happened. We’ve just gotta hold on.”

Mia forced a cheerful smile onto her face, which vanished almost instantaneously when she felt more warm blood touch her upper lip. Making a noise of supreme disgust, she wiped it away again – her arm was beginning to look pretty suspect now – before her expression changed yet again, this time to an apologetic side glance at Candice.

“Uh, could you grab some tissues or something from my bag? I think I brought a packet with me but there’s probably something useful in the first aid kit.”
[+] spoiler
Lyra Doyle-Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky Land Ho
Current Thread: Lo Mein Event - ?Whatever you need, I've got you covered!?
Katie Agustien-If you wanna start a fight, you better throw the first punch, make it a good one Bastille
Current Thread: he let me set fire to a fleet of ships when no-one else would - ?Maybe we can trade. I get to watch you dance, you get to watch me work out.?
Stepney Cruz-I'm taking back the crown, I'm all dressed up and naked, I see what's mine and take it Memes
Current Thread: Clinging to Loss - ?Didja know this place is supposed to be haunted??
Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money Keane
Current Thread: Generation Loss - ?Oh, and hey, don?t worry ?bout earlier, it?s all cool. I think you?d probably have been hurt worse than me if we?d collided, anyways.?
Aurelien Valter-It's deep in their bones, they'll run into smoke when the fire is fierce Football
Current Thread: I'M A SHARK, I'M A SHAAARK, SUCK MY DIIIIICK, I'M A SHAAARK - ?Goodbye, friend. I will miss you.?
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V4!
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus)
Current location-Paint it Black-DECEASED-Neck broken by Maxwell Lombardi
Weapons-Wallet with German marks, Yatagan, guitar, Savage Model 1907 (.32 ACP)

V5!
B004-Owen Kay-?I don?t... don?t want to die...?-Weapons: Table Leg, Rusty Golf Club-Never Truly Had A Chance

G041-Amy Bachelor-Mike, I... I don?t want to--Weapon: Blackjack-Can't Live On Hope Alone

B024-Francis St. Ledger-?Megan, just... just fuckin? listen to me.?-Weapon: Insulated Blanket-Crossed The Line

V6!

G021-Mia Rose-You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong
Died in: Elapsam Semel Occasionem Non Ipse Potest Iuppiter Reprehendere
Weapon: Uzi-Pro

G034-Astrid Tate-So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Died in: End of the Line
Weapon: Pickaxe

G006-Bryony Adams-Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Died in: eternitybox
Current Weapon: Deck of playing cards, broken easel leg.
[+] spoiler

Owen, Francis and Amy, all by Mimi

Amy Bachelor, by Violent-Medic

Owen Kay, by Un-Persona

Amy Bachelor, by Mimi

Amy Bachelor, by TurtleTyrant
[+] spoiler
Garren Mortimer-Now you can't get mad, I'm only getting started, I won't blackout
[+] spoiler
Beatrice Briggs and Timothy "Tim" Karim
Nothing In My Way Pippi Fontaine-I'll float on endlessly, senses eluding me, this long horizon to this open sea.
Jamie Mittelman-We will meet you where the lights are, the defenders, of the faith we are
Clover Crescent-Why would I waste another day whilst life just passes by?
Castlevania Ada Bentley-Save your cheers and my applause, I never was worth fighting for
Richard Potter-But if I had one chance to freeze time, and stand still and soak in everything, I'd choose right now
Kerry Gray-We'll finish what we started, so promise me that we'll be the Lionhearted
Marshall Nichols-Maybe that's how books get written, maybe that's why songs get sung, maybe we are the unlucky ones
Gregory "Greg" Gateshead-Built an empire of sound, as the bridges were falling down
Candice Bailey-I feel I can fly, I'm on 678 cloud 9, and ain't nothin gonna stop me
Patty English-We're all in the same boat, staying afloat for the moment
Ophelia Wright-If you're dreaming what I'm dreaming, close your eyes and feel at home
Marina-Cassandra Gro?-And we will never be alone again, 'cause it doesn't happen every day
Boyd Adkinson - And the lights, they glow, like I just lost the world war, and the scene slips away to the evenness I fake
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017

Ciel
Mr. Danya

August 23rd, 2016, 4:30 am #12

"Tch."

Scout couldn't help herself. She was thinking about escape? Jesus, this girl was grasping at straws. That wasn't what she scoffed at though. It was the girl's bleeding nose. For a second, Scout actually thought she was hurt. Thought someone shot her. Looks like her fear was misplaced.

That was a mistake though, the scoff. She pressed her back against the wall, out of sight. She had peeked her head through the doorway. They didn't see her. It was as if they never considered someone would find them. But now, surely, they were going to notice her. So she made her presence known. Scout did not make a habit of squirreling herself away, like a coward.

"Ain't gonna say that escape's outta the question."

Scout stood in the doorway. The dufflebag was open. She pulled something small out, left the dufflebag open. No reason to zip it back up yet.

"Just don't go thinkin' it's a given," Scout continued. "Not everyone's gonna be waiting for the escape helicopter. Hope for the best, plan for the worst."

There was going to be at least one pencil neck geek who's been looking for a reason to kill the big, tough bully that's been fucking with them for years. At least one girl looking for attention. At least one killer that you least expected.

Scout squinted. She couldn't see any guns. And as far as she could tell, none of them were making a move. The saw was tucked into the pocket of her hoodie. She didn't make a move to attack. Scout decided against it. Neither girl appeared to be a threat. Yet. She recognized one of them, Candice. The other was a senior. Regardless, neither of them were friends of hers. That made her all the more reluctant.

"... At least one of you has a gun." Scout shouldered her bag. "The both of you practically walking targets if you start popping them every chance you get. Take my advice and keep them hidden. Pull 'em out only when you need to."

After all, Scout was actually planning to steal said gun moments before. She didn't give them a chance for follow up questions. It wasn't like she was an expert, it was all common sense.

"Here." Scout tossed the packet of tissues over to Mia like a bean bag. "Take these. Try not to get yourselves killed, yeah?"

Then she turned and headed for the stairs. She wasn't planning on breaking bread with these two. She did it because it was the right thing to do.

(Scout Pfeiffer continued in Never Known Questions.)

Muninn
Survivor
Muninn
Survivor

August 24th, 2016, 1:11 am #13

Should we go after her?

Catching up to her would take a bit of effort, sure. She'd gotten a little bit of a headstart -- Candice hadn't even noticed the girl in the doorway until she spoke up and was already on her way out -- a brief glimpse out of the corner of her eye was all that Candice had seen of her before she was down the hallway. But even so, they should be able to catch up with her if they hurried. It would just be a bit of sprinting.

Well, just that and the fact that Candice would have to drag herself away from dwelling on the people back home. Y'know, the same thing that led her to not notice the girl in the first place.

We should go after her.

Candice might not have known much about survival or how to deal with being locked on an island with busloads of potentially murderous classmates, but she felt that safety in numbers was clearly the way to go. It wasn't just about the thought of using superior numbers to win fights, rather she felt that with enough people the aggressors wouldn't even have the courage to attack because it would be such bad odds for them. Everybody would protect everybody else, and everybody would keep each other's morale from plummeting. That was basically what led to the developement of societies in the first place, right? It was clearly the best option.

It was also likely to result in you getting a bullet to your spine, courtesy of somebody that you trusted just a little too much.

That girl wouldn't want to take a pair of cock-ups like you anyways

Really, what point would there be in taking on allies who are just liabilities, anyway? Out of all the kids who had been dragged into this, it wasn't hard to imagine that you could find better allies than a mopey, out-of-shape coward and a trigger-happy girl with mood swings. Hell, even Candice was having trouble thinking of any of her classmates who would be a worse choice.

After all, shouldn't the two of them be dead by all rights? Whatever bad luck they must've had to be shoved into this hell, it had surely been balanced by the fact that the person who came to investigate them was just interested in giving free advice samples and not in building up their armoury.

The people who know how to survive can do so because they don't bring along dead weight like the two of us. People might be willing to lend a hand if you need it, but anybody who helps you when you're not able to pull at least a bit of your own weight is just going to get dragged down with you.

Stop acting like your life isn't currently in danger just because nobody's holding a gun to your head at the moment.

Candice wiped her eyes on her sleeve, belatedly realizing that they had been gifted with a perfectly good pack of tissues. She made a half-assed attempt at forcing a smile before stopping due to how blatantly fake it must have looked.

"Let's--We should probably find a different spot to hide," she said to Mia.

She shouldered the duffel bag she had been carrying around and took a few steps towards the door.

"We, ah... Maybe if we get a change of scenery... other side of this building... hell, even the other side of the island..."

Candice stopped a minute to let her mind catch up with her rambling. She also changed her mind yet again on how to try presenting her self and once again adopted the world's saddest excuse for a smile.

"Maybe if we get away from here we can try just starting everything over."
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V7. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
V6 Characters
G31 - Candice Banks (adopted from Somersault) - The Rooftop
G35 - Bernadette Thomas (adopted from Imehal) (Deceased) - Northwest Cliffs

[/size]
[+] spoiler
V5 Character
B39 - Takeshi Yoshikawa (adopted from Zabriel) (Deceased) - Southern Town (Apartment Complexes)

V4 Character (Pregame only)
Leopold Anders - Math Wing
V3 Characters
B100 - Raven Lawrence (Deceased) - Small Cottage
G75 - Lauren Howard (Deceased) - Northern Coast
[/size]

Pippin
Winner

August 29th, 2016, 3:14 pm #14

Sometimes, it felt like the entire universe was conspiring against Mia.

She was a naturally happy, cheerful, peppy girl, who just wanted to enjoy herself and make everyone she cared for happy as well. She wanted to live out her days doing what she loved, and what she was good at. She knew she could make a career out of it. Everyone who knew her had said she had the ability to become a professional swimmer, or a soccer player, or any sort of athlete she wanted to be.

It could never be that easy, though. She wanted to eschew her studies to focus on sports when both society, and her family, expected her to continue her academic career for as long as possible, and judged her for not being successful at them. People expected her to be happy and cheerful all the time, and she knew far too many people who would shun her rather than help her on the rare occasions that the stress of schoolwork became too much to handle. She was a girl that liked boys and girls and everyone else in-between, in a world that still struggled to accept that guys could like guys.

Even further on in her life, one single event managed to make her terrified of something would affect her for the rest of her life. She’d had to flake out of so many gatherings over the years; all the barbecues she’d had to make up excuses to avoid, the bonfires and firework events she’d spent doing her best to find somewhere safe and out of the way, the sleepovers where she’d watch films hidden under a blanket for half of them. Smoke, in any form, was enough to send her into a cold sweat and hurtling towards panic. So many things she’d missed out on, all because of the events of one single evening.

She barely needed to mention Survival of the Fittest. If that wasn’t a sign that there was some God or Goddess up there that just wanted to fuck with her, then she wasn’t sure what else was.

And just now, after Mia had felt like she’d managed to patch things up with Candice, after she’d finally felt like she had done something useful on the island, hell, after she’d almost managed to convince herself that escape wasn’t just a pipe dream, that it was a viable way out of this nightmare, this girl had just appeared and brought all that fear and panic crashing back down again.

The packet of tissues bounced against Mia’s leg and onto the bed beside her, but she barely noticed, staring up at Scout with a mix of confusion and anger. She knew the other girl wasn’t trying to actively hurt them, but Christ, she’d managed to do so anyway. Sometimes you just had to lie a little to make things alright, or say things you didn’t necessarily believe in; all she’d wanted to do was give Candice a little bit of hope, to make herself look like she could be trusted and relied upon. And then this girl had waltzed in and told them to ‘hope for the best, prepare for the worst’.

Mia knew she was right, of course she was right. But it wasn’t what she needed to be told right now. She stared at the empty doorway where Scout had been, eyes empty and looking at nothing. It was only when she felt the stream of blood trickle down over her lip again that she broke out of her reverie.

Sometimes it felt like the universe was out to get her, but Mia had never let that get her down. She’d kept pushing forwards, kept who she was, hadn’t let any obstacle bring her down completely. People and things had tried to stop her before, her own brain included. She’d fucked things up before. But everyone did, now and again. She’d fucked things up with Candice, but that didn’t mean she was a fuck up herself.

“Starting everything over, huh…”

Mia mumbled under her breath as she ripped open the packet of tissues, wiping her nose with one and stuffing the rest into her left-hand pocket. She sniffed once, then a second time. Then she stood up, and looked straight at Candice. Somehow, a small but confident smile had found its way onto her face.

“That sounds like a plan to me,” Mia said. “This place isn’t exactly my style. The whole ‘frat-party-drunken-orgy-aftermath’ doesn’t really suit an Olympic hopeful, y’know?”

She put the gun back in her pocket, hoping it wouldn’t tumble out as they were walking, and stretched her arms up, her back clicking as she did.

“This whole thing… this whole morning… this isn’t me. I’m better than this. So let’s leave this place, and forget it all happened, yeah?”

Mia crouched down to zip her still-open bag back up. Once she’d finished, she looked up at Candice.

“You got anywhere you wanna go? Or should we just… wander and see what happens?”
[+] spoiler
Lyra Doyle-Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky Land Ho
Katie Agustien-If you wanna start a fight, you better throw the first punch, make it a good one Bastille
Current Thread: he let me set fire to a fleet of ships when no-one else would - ?Maybe we can trade. I get to watch you dance, you get to watch me work out.?
Stepney Cruz-I'm taking back the crown, I'm all dressed up and naked, I see what's mine and take it Memes
Current Thread: Clinging to Loss - ?Didja know this place is supposed to be haunted??
Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money Keane
Current Thread: Generation Loss - ?Oh, and hey, don?t worry ?bout earlier, it?s all cool. I think you?d probably have been hurt worse than me if we?d collided, anyways.?
Aurelien Valter-It's deep in their bones, they'll run into smoke when the fire is fierce Football
Current Thread: I'M A SHARK, I'M A SHAAARK, SUCK MY DIIIIICK, I'M A SHAAARK - ?Goodbye, friend. I will miss you.?
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V4!

V5!
B004-Owen Kay-?I don?t... don?t want to die...?-Weapons: Table Leg, Rusty Golf Club-Never Truly Had A Chance

G041-Amy Bachelor-Mike, I... I don?t want to--Weapon: Blackjack-Can't Live On Hope Alone

B024-Francis St. Ledger-?Megan, just... just fuckin? listen to me.?-Weapon: Insulated Blanket-Crossed The Line

V6!

G021-Mia Rose-You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

G006-Bryony Adams-Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
[+] spoiler

Owen Kay, by Un-Persona

Amy Bachelor, by Mimi

[+] spoiler
Garren Mortimer-Now you can't get mad, I'm only getting started, I won't blackout
[+] spoiler
Nothing In My Way Pippi Fontaine-I'll float on endlessly, senses eluding me, this long horizon to this open sea.
Jamie Mittelman-We will meet you where the lights are, the defenders, of the faith we are
Castlevania Ada Bentley-Save your cheers and my applause, I never was worth fighting for
Richard Potter-But if I had one chance to freeze time, and stand still and soak in everything, I'd choose right now
Kerry Gray-We'll finish what we started, so promise me that we'll be the Lionhearted
Marshall Nichols-Maybe that's how books get written, maybe that's why songs get sung, maybe we are the unlucky ones
Gregory "Greg" Gateshead-Built an empire of sound, as the bridges were falling down
Candice Bailey-I feel I can fly, I'm on 678 cloud 9, and ain't nothin gonna stop me
Ophelia Wright-If you're dreaming what I'm dreaming, close your eyes and feel at home
Marina-Cassandra Gro?-And we will never be alone again, 'cause it doesn't happen every day
Boyd Adkinson - And the lights, they glow, like I just lost the world war, and the scene slips away to the evenness I fake
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017

Muninn
Survivor
Muninn
Survivor

August 31st, 2016, 3:30 am #15

Candice shook her head apologetically in regards to Mia's question.

"I'd just woken up when I met you. Aside from these two rooms, a hallway, and anything we can see out the window, I have no idea what's out there."

Well, if the two of them were going to try not failing at something for the first time today, taking steps to correct that lack of information seemed as good a course as any. The could put the decision on whether or not they should settle down somewhere off until they had a better idea what the options were.

"So... our destination should be 'someplace better than here, which will be determined once we're already there,' I guess?"

She paused for a second to think about how to further elaborate, only to realize that in her rambling she'd basically just come up with a clunkier way of repeating one of Mia's suggestions back at her.

"Umm, I guess 'wandering' would be it," she admitted sheepishly. "Sorry, I guess it's not really much of a plan."
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V7. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
V6 Characters

[/size]
[+] spoiler
V5 Character
B39 - Takeshi Yoshikawa (adopted from Zabriel) (Deceased) - Southern Town (Apartment Complexes)

V3 Characters
[/size]

Pippin
Winner

September 3rd, 2016, 4:58 pm #16

Mia laughed, and shrugged off Candice’s rather redundant statement. It was nice to hear that again, her own laugh. Surprising, too. Her emotions had started to settle now. They hadn’t fully come to rest yet, they were still liable to be picked up and flung about like dry leaves in the wind, but at least she wasn’t so emotionally fragile that she’d go from yelling to crying to maniacally laughing in the space of a second.

But she’d half expected to never laugh, or even smile again. She wouldn’t be able to blame anyone else in the slightest if that was how they ended up. Maybe it was just because this whole thing had just started, and there was nothing that had directly removed the smile from her face. There would inevitably come a time when the laughter would die out, and tears and despair would take their place.

But this was promising. This suggested that, once that was said and done, she could find it in herself to smile again.

“Don’t worry,” Mia said, heading towards the door. “I’ve never really been big on plans myself. I just like going along with the flow and seeing where it takes me. I’ve done pretty well by it so far.”

Mia gave Candice her most comforting smile as she started to head out.

“It’ll be all right.”

Expect the worst, hell, know that the worst was coming sooner or later. But hope for the best. Maybe everything would end up all right.

((Mia Rose continued in Go to a school trip they said, it will be fun they said))
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V4!

V5!

V6!

[+] spoiler

Owen Kay, by Un-Persona

Amy Bachelor, by Mimi

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Muninn
Survivor
Muninn
Survivor

September 6th, 2016, 4:56 am #17

Candice didn't know if Mia was able to genuinely keep herself in high spirits, or if she was just faking it. Who knows, maybe she was just putting on an act because she thought Candice was on the verge of falling apart. Something like Candice's ridiculously pathetic fake smile, but more convincing.

Much more convincing. It didn't seem like a superficial, fake smile such as Candice's. It was as though Mia thought that there was actually something to be optimistic about... some kind of silver lining that Candice just couldn't find, even though she knew that they couldn't let themselves be frozen with despair.

Something to look forward to aside from a 1% survival rate, weighted in favor of the cruel and the ruthless.

Something to trust in on this island where yesterday's classmate was tomorrow's enemy.

Far from going "pretty well" so far, hadn't they been on a string of near-death experiences from the time they woke up this morning? They'd been on the verge of killing each other before they'd had a chance to say hello. They'd failed to notice somebody sneaking up on them, and only luck meant that it wasn't somebody hostile. They'd made a poor impression on that same person, ruining any chance of convincing them to work together.

All right? Just where were you looking to see something like that?

Well, Mia was armed, at least. It might have nearly gotten Candice killed earlier, but they weren't in danger of being bumped off by the first nutjob with a pockeknife that they were to run into. That was a plus, of sorts.

A group of only two people was small, but it was still safer than being alone. There was the emotional component, too... regardless of whether Mia's attitude was fake or genuine, it was comforting nonetheless.

Hell, if you set aside Mia's earlier outbursts, she seemed much more stable now. Maybe a change of scenery and a chance to talk things out was really all that they needed.

Desperately clinging to those few positive facts, Candice followed Mia down the hall.

At the very least, I guess this could be a lot worse.

((Candice Banks continued in "Go to a school trip they said, it will be fun they said..."))
V6 Characters

[/size]
[+] spoiler
V5 Character

V3 Characters
[/size]