The verdict on V2

Solitair
Player

August 20th, 2008, 2:34 pm #1

I've skipped reading V2 because I've heard some not-very-nice things about it, but now I'm wondering if I should reconsider. What's your take on V2?
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown
WickedIcon: this is the best dollar i've spent in several years

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

Turning Pages: Read some books along with me, why don't you?

V4:
[+] Spoiler
B081 - Roland Hayes Condition: DEAD.
"Fuck it." c3< c3< c3< c3< c3< c3< c3<
G070 - Cassidy Wakemore Condition: DEAD.
"No doubts. No regrets." <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
G076 - Lillian Hayes Condition: DEAD.
"My best wasn't good enough..." <> <> <> <>
G079 - Eiko Haraguchi Condition: ELIMINATED.
"Is it really over?" <3< <3< <3< <3< <3< <3< <3< <3<
V5:
Arthur Wells: The Artist ... ... ... ... ?
Rose Matheson: The Sprinter ... ?
Ilya Volkov: The Wrestler ... ... ... ... !

nope
Winner

August 20th, 2008, 2:43 pm #2

I haven't read much of it, but most of the writing seemed pretty solid. I guess there was also some drama or something surrounding it that spoiled it for some people tho?

Mitsuko2
Contender

August 20th, 2008, 5:04 pm #3

There was alot of drama surrounding V2.

It wasn't BAD by any account. You should read it. Some storylines were very well done.
The Dan: she won me over with card games, brownies, sex and handcuffs

Edited as of 12/1/11

Alive: Norelia Concepcion, Elliot Stone, Allegra Hoffman

Namira
Mr. Danya

August 20th, 2008, 5:08 pm #4

One criticism I've heard is that it was overplanned - being that people had their own storylines in mind and weren't really willing to comprimise or accomodate other people enough. However, as Amanda said, that shouldn't really affect your reading, because the concerns hardly if at all affected the stories themselves to the point where your reading would be ruined.

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] Spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] Spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] Spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] Spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

riserugu
Leader

August 20th, 2008, 5:15 pm #5

There is/was some drama around it, mostly being with what Clueless said in a lot of things being crazy over-planned in some areas. But that was about it in my opinion, so please don't let that keep you from reading and enjoying it because it was still a great version in it's own rights.

dinah_shore
Leader

August 20th, 2008, 5:55 pm #6

I think we need to find a happy medium between planning too much and being whores for spontanaeity. Because I find the concept to be completely overrated.

No offense.
------------------------------------&hearts;------------------------------------

Cyco
Winner
Cyco
Winner

August 20th, 2008, 5:55 pm #7

Overplanning was one of the problems with v2, but then each version has its bugs, v3's for example being its frequent clusterfucks. These are hardly reasons to condemn any of them as being "not worth reading". What really counts are the characters and the scenes, and when it comes to judging those it's really a matter of personal taste.

A couple of handlers were out to get v2 right off the bat, bitching about every little thing and longing for "the good ole days of v1", as if the premise was any different. But these were people who didn't really bother getting involved so that pretty much speaks for itself. It seems like v2 is often judged a little harder than v1 since v1 is the prized original and subject to pedestal placement by some.

Anyway. Unlike Battle Royale 2: Requiem, v2 is just as worth checking out as its predecessor.

v3 Minions
B21: Nigel Gillespie
G09: Jessa Vanallen
B20: Harry Tsai
B13: James Brown
B112: Dennis Bernard

Crash
Winner

August 20th, 2008, 6:06 pm #8

I actually find that some of the most well-developed characters I've ever seen on this site came out of v2. Even outside the top 10 (who for the most part were all very well done), characters like Huy Tran, Anna Dibinidetti, Ali Grayston, and a bunch of others contributed enormously to how well so many scenes in v2 played out.

It's more than worth a read. Personally, I enjoy it more than v1. Like everyone has been saying though, it's all a matter of personal taste.

EDIT: I also find that most of v2's characters (save for three-five) were much more believable as real high school students than in any of the other versions.
v4 Characters:

G23: Claire Lambert: Property of the Fabulous Mr. Toben

v3 Characters:

B65: Dorian Ibanescu: Coastline

Deceased:

B57 - Jeff Marontate: Cleaved
B120: Jim Middleton: Pummeled
G61: Anna Grout: Submitted
G62: Andrea Vanlandingham: Martyred
G39 Alexis Machina: Crushed
G23: Trish McCarroll: Defeated

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

Ares
Winner

August 20th, 2008, 6:12 pm #9

Yeah, V2 is worth reading in your spare time. It was very well done on the whole. Some pretty awesome scenes took place in V2 that will be immortalized in SoTF history, as well as some of the most memorable (both for good and bad reasons) characters we'll ever see.
Is in...

Crash
Winner

August 20th, 2008, 6:13 pm #10

Scipher wrote: Yeah, V2 is worth reading in your spare time. It was very well done on the whole. Some pretty awesome scenes took place in V2 that will be immortalized in SoTF history, as well as some of the most memorable (both for good and bad reasons) characters we'll ever see.
Oh God, amen to that on both ends.
v4 Characters:

v3 Characters:

Deceased:

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

Ciel
Mr. Danya

August 20th, 2008, 6:15 pm #11

Meh. V2 was okay in it's own right, although you could pretty much see who the winner was going to be when the contestants were narrowed down to twenty-five. Read through it, I'd think you'd enjoy it.

Cactus
Mr. Danya

August 20th, 2008, 6:18 pm #12

V2 had some really great characters, and some really great storylines, but was plagued with a bit of behind the scenes drama and a large inactivity period. While V1 suffered through the same thing, the attitude around the site wasn't stupendous. It really picked up around the end though, and I don't know if we'll have a similar type of problem here in V3 with the activity.

Things WERE too planned out, but at the same time, inactivity made many of those plans impossible. ON the other hand, spotaneity, which has seemingly come through in V3 to a much larger extent, can be annoying at times.

V2's definitely worth a read, in my eyes, though. Even though I wasn't around for the vast majority of it - it's definitely worth a read-through, as it surpassed the original, even if nobody wants to really admit it.
---
[+] Spoiler
Connor Lorenzen: When you're this good, image is everything.
Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Memories: 1

Morgan Dragosavich: Ahh, I'll figure shit out later. Let's go!

Ross Miller: Just hangin' out, man.
Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Memories: 1 - 2

Claudeson Bademosi: It's a beautiful day, I think.
Pregame: 1 - 2

Ariana Moretti: The verbal assassin.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
[+] Spoiler
B033 - Cole Hudson: Sprung a leak.
B011 - Adam Amato: Refused to besmirch those walls.
B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.
G034 - Jamie Li: Left us far before her time.
B011/99 - Burton Harris/Ken Lawson: The Kermit-squad.
[+] Spoiler
< | Angelina | Gilbert | Andrew | Art | Wade | Rupert | Mary | Alexander | Dean | Sarah | Zilya | Alicia | Staffan | Trent | Jodene | >
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
The New Adventures of Ed-liver and Mike: Writing Essays and Making Pizza

Ares
Winner

August 20th, 2008, 6:25 pm #13

d0ddi0slave wrote: ...ON the other hand, spotaneity, which has seemingly come through in V3 to a much larger extent, can be annoying at times...
Amen. Thats my only problem, is that if you're in the middle of something, and someone comes along and fucks over what you had going, it kind of makes you re-think everything you had going for the post. While some could argue that it keeps you on your toes, it also like Adam said, gets quite annoying. Point in case would be a thread where your character is about to kill another, when Captain Heropants comes from the middle of buttfucking nowhere and saves the day.

To sum up: Spontaneity seems to breed way too many hero moments for me to really advocate the campaign for spontaneity that people seem to be on for this version.

Also, I'm going to go on record as saying those Motivational Posters about Spontaneity a few of you have/had are really stupid, seriously, and thats coming from me. ME!!!
Is in...

Cactus
Mr. Danya

August 20th, 2008, 6:26 pm #14

Ciel wrote: Meh. V2 was okay in it's own right, although you could pretty much see who the winner was going to be when the contestants were narrowed down to twenty-five. Read through it, I'd think you'd enjoy it.
Dude; hate to break it to you, but V1's like that too. If V3's NOT like that, then I'd say we've all won a great victory indeed.
---
[+] Spoiler
Connor Lorenzen: When you're this good, image is everything.

Morgan Dragosavich: Ahh, I'll figure shit out later. Let's go!

Ross Miller: Just hangin' out, man.
Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Memories: 1 - 2

Claudeson Bademosi: It's a beautiful day, I think.

Ariana Moretti: The verbal assassin.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
[+] Spoiler
B033 - Cole Hudson: Sprung a leak.
B011 - Adam Amato: Refused to besmirch those walls.
B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.
G034 - Jamie Li: Left us far before her time.
B011/99 - Burton Harris/Ken Lawson: The Kermit-squad.
[+] Spoiler
< | Angelina | Gilbert | Andrew | Art | Wade | Rupert | Mary | Alexander | Dean | Sarah | Zilya | Alicia | Staffan | Trent | Jodene | >
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
The New Adventures of Ed-liver and Mike: Writing Essays and Making Pizza

Crash
Winner

August 20th, 2008, 6:36 pm #15

d0ddi0slave wrote: V2's definitely worth a read, in my eyes, though. Even though I wasn't around for the vast majority of it - it's definitely worth a read-through, as it surpassed the original, even if nobody wants to really admit it.
And coming from the winner of V1, that says something.

G'day. >_>
v4 Characters:

v3 Characters:

Deceased: