Polibyss
Leader

August 27th, 2017, 11:49 pm #151

I keep deciding to stop and then changing my mind. Good Lord. Roll me another, please, when you can.

Dr. Adjective
Cannon Fodder

August 28th, 2017, 12:02 am #152

Prepare for stream of consciousness, I'm going to write this in real time.
[+] Spoiler
Is a freshman supposed to be 16? I swear that's the 14-15 age bracket. Moving on.
"Hobbies: Kendo, Kenjutsu, unarmed forms" just in case you were worried he was going to be one of those kids that can't fight, better put three different combat styles as his first three hobbies, to be safe. The rest are normal enough, System of a Down is a band I'm fairly fond of too but the name-drop gives me pause, I hope he's not going to be super edgy.

Appearance is nothing exciting, but what on Earth is this grammar? "He has a great dislike for school uniform wearing custom dress pants to make legging wider to more like a European hakama so stopping at the ankle but do not seem to come in contact with his legs unless running." There should definitely be more commas in here, I get the general idea but parsing it is a bit awkward. But don't worry, it gets a bit more unclear. Our local weeb also wears geta and tabi, and specifically mentions "The sandals are thick rope laced with a rubber sole for hard long travel during harsh weather with socks that seem very queer. He calls them tabi." First I thought he was saying he calls his sandals tabi, even now I find these sentences a bit awkward to parse. But okay, he's a pretty normal looking guy but apparently he doesn't like school uniform but just casually gets away with wearing not!hakama and he hasn't become an ostracised hermit for wearing socks with sandals yet.

I don't have much to say on his biography either, it's pretty normal until he mentions that he had a crisis of faith and... he likes samurai so he became a zen buddhist? But his parents are okay with it, more or less? He believes in Zen Buddhism principles and refuses to lead prayers at dinner but doesn't comment or combat their ideas unless he forced to cause it leads him into rocky and sandbar water. If I'm parsing that one right, they're kind of live and let live about his change in beliefs.

"Slowly he started reading the old stories of swordsmen real and fabled but each story taught him a lesson he felt was worth while. The morals and codes long forgotten and watered down by western culture and misunderstandings, Against his parents wishes but acceptance. He started to dabble into Kendo and wandering into several unarmed martial arts (Kempo, Muay Tai) but felt it lacked real mental aspects he was looking for." What I notice here is he also sort of undoes two of his hobbies, saying that he's not really into kendo or martial arts? He goes on to explain how he's more into kenjutsu and suddenly brings up battojutsu, both of which he trains in "with his only trust worthy and much more experienced friend" who goes unnamed. No allies are listed later on so I guess it never comes up.

His advantages are... uh, heroic determination and zen wisdom? Okay. And knowledge of "human anonymity" which I'm guessing is supposed to be anatomy. So he's a wise warrior man who knows how to kill people, great start. At least he's a good- or at least lawful-aligned killer, I guess.
Disadvantages, he refuses to use guns. Something tells me Batman's morals might not be quite so solid if it's life or death, but whatever. Also he doesn't trust people easily, which strikes me as an advantage on-island, but okay he's a loner.

Long story short, he's weeaboo Batman, except instead of being trained as a ninja by the League of Shadows, he thinks he's a samurai because he practised with his best friend.
[+] Spoiler
Class. Eat. Study. begins as the Seth and Marvin show, and I really don't feel like reading that. At the very bottom of the page, Jun and his odd grammar appear, and oh boy just to complete the look, this is his avatar. Just in case we weren't sure that John is a samurai.

Uh... anyway his first post in the thread is the last one. Our misunderstood aloof-meister sighs at normal kids being normal, complains about his clothes being uncomfortable, carries all his stuff in his bag all at once instead of using his locker, and texts his anonymous friend back home in New York. Seems about right based on his profile, but ultimately this was a meaningless post but it's nice to see a presumably new member make an effort to engage in pregame rather than just dive into the island and start killing.
[+] Spoiler
He begins in To figure things out. which apparently starts on day 2? He wakes up to the announcements, so I can only guess he slept right the way through the first day. John goes through his stuff, wisely decides to leaf through the survival guide provided by "Mr. Donya", then begins marking off areas of interest on the map. Pretty sharp kid, he's doing the sort of stuff I imagine a lot of real people would in his situation; try to act like he's got a handle on it, formulate a plan, even if it all turns out to be empty bravado later it's a good psychological crutch. The writing remains a bit odd and randomly switches to first person perspective for half a sentence, but I'll stop commenting on that for now, assume it's still weird unless I mention that it's not.

Seems we have a badass in the room, he's going to endure this "biggest test" using his "brand new... HAIRBRUSH OF DEATH!". What a dork. I like his spirit. He then goes on to find the corpse of an "African Women" (what are plurals?), and whilst being put of by the view and the smell (again, liking the realism here, he's making an effort at least), he decides to loot all her valuables, namely the contents of her first aid kit, some shears and some flashbangs. Apparently whoever beheaded her left these niche weapons behind, and while he's not a ninja he'll take them for the chance they might be worth bartering with later. Then he thinks about trying to build a wooden sword... guess it could be feasible if those shears are sharp enough? Probably just as good to break them into two knives or straight up use a wooden club but, whatever. Samurais gonna samurai.

Immediately thereafter he walks out into the rain to find some wood to do exactly that, comes back, changes out of his wet clothes into full samurai regalia (complete with Japanese names and translations), writes a profound proverb on the wall whilst enjoying some one-sided banter with the viewing public, then finally breaks the two blades of his shears apart and starts whittling himself a sword. I maintain he could've just used the blades. As he does so he goes on a lengthy diatribe about how modern day America is falling apart due to corruption, comparing it to the Roman Empire, drawing parallels between gladiator combat and SotF as though his predicament is even legal, let alone government sanctioned and popular. Apparently a Mel Brooks movie where two legionaries get stoned is relevant to this monologue. Anyway.

Someone called Kristey turns up complaining internally about getting punched by a "Chink woman", and with an attitude to Asians like that it's hardly a surprise she talked shit and got hit. John completely ignores her and changes back into his now dry clothes. Okay. Apparently she hears the next day's announcements in the mid-afternoon and vanishes. John doesn't hear them but hears her footsteps on the way out. He changes back into what he just changed out of, says some dramatic sounding stuff about letting blood flow like a river, discards his flashbangs and hairbrush, and leaves.

John moves on to the Park in To Awake And Avenge The Dead, Megami, Cyco and Mitsuko are all in this one, but none of their most infamous kids. Was Megami infamous back then? I might be remembering her for something else. But it's not Bryan or Mariavel. Someone called baby_g is here too. John turns up and it's foggy, so he decides the best approach is to sneak up on the assembled kids (Kevin, Sera, Jana and Zilya). Sera immediately notices a figure in the shadows anyway, and makes a point of having her gun ready without actually aiming it right at him. So out he comes, and tries to make nice, beginning by addressing them as "everything" instead of "everyone", which hardly seems polite to me. Zilya leaves immediately without acknowledging him. The others are skeptical (well, other two, Mitsuko just gets skipped over for a while), and he reacts with a self-important anime monologue, including how he could probably kill Jana with his wooden sword before she could even fire her crossbow, which apparently has enough recoil to shatter her wrist, too.

Kevin, at this point, decides that John is a threat (can't imagine why, after he expounded on how easy for him it'd be to kill people), and brings his fists to the wooden swordfight. Sera lets some of the air out of the potential epic duel by just threatening to shoot John if he does anything. John snarks about how cowardly it is to shoot someone from hiding, then leaves the thread before anyone has a chance to gainsay him, I guess he assumes that by saying that shooting him in the back would be dishonourable, he gains protection from such dishonourable conduct? Whatever. Let's see where he goes next, while I wonder if it's just John that's got an inflated idea of how good he is, or his handler.

The greed of man finds John in the Hospital, though he seems to think it's a shopping mall. He thinks wistfully about his last encounter, excusing the other kids' actions on account of how "life as they know it is dead", which would come off as endearingly profound and forgiving, if it wasn't for how he goes on to be completely blasé about the situation and how he'll probably die "with some honor and a-bit of style", whilst referring to his anonymous friend whom he hopes it watching. The post closes with 'As a man unsheaths his sword he becomes a demon. The question is can he sheath his sword and turn back to a human?' , which I can't tell if it's supposed to be thoughts or dialogue. But it's a total non-sequitur so I don't really care.

Venus walks in, ironically apparently she has an actual steel katana, but then she leaves in the same post so John has no chance to complete his cosplay. Thanks, by the way Strawberry Prince, for reminding me of what Venus did to Zed, I really needed to remember that. After that post, Megami drops in to inform us that she's taking over John on account of his handler's inactivity, and leaves the thread. But not before imitating John's prior style a little, saying a prayer for the dead in response to the next announcement (I have absolutely no idea how much time is meant to have passed) and wondering "Must we die like this?" Yes John, yes we must, kind of the premise of the game.

Now under Mitsuko's management instead of Megami's, John encounters Zilya again at the School Building in A Remarkable End. Apparently there's about 30 kids left at this point, so looks like John did alright for himself despite only appearing in four threads, including this one. Zilya immediately attacks him with her nunchaku, because, what's a girl to do when she's this close to the endgame and she meets a kid in cosplay? The first leg of the fight is short and unceremonious, thankfully without any more epic anime monologuing, and Zilya gets the upper hand, eventually thwacking John in the head and knocking him to the ground. But he gets back up, which she evidently does nothing to stop, and calls her out on her carelessness. The "Tch..." sound effect isn't written but by god it's palpable, if only he wore glasses too you could be sure they'd be gleaming menacingly while he pushes them back up his nose. Anyway they trade a few more blows, eventually Zilya hits John on the head again, and this time capitalises on the opening to start throttling him with her nunchaku chain, only to get elbowed in the ribs and drop her weapon. John presses the attack, backing Zilya up towards the furnace, she tries to defend herself using a flashlight...

Fucking really?
WHAT?

Okay I'd already read that he gets incinerated in a fight, I spoiler'd myself on that one, but that's how it happens? Apparently knocking the flashlight out of her hands into the furnace turns it into a bomb. They get blown to smithereens and half the school building collapses. GG, no re.
Okay so, summary.
John's written without much technical skill, I can't really find a delicate way to say that and I doubt the original handler will ever see this to be offended by it. His first post had to be edited from first to third person, which explains why he managed to miss out parts of it and get the weird mix of "he", "I" and "we" in there. As far as characterisation goes, he's nothing special, though he seems to be written as though he is. He reacts to everything that happens with an extremely blasé indifference, showing not the slightest hint of fear having guns or crossbows pointed at him, far outstripping what you'd reasonably expect from his supposed advantages of wisdom and maturity. It feels as though the handler has bought into his own hype and is writing John as this stoic badass who's obviously going to get through everything he encounters, dropping some profound wisdom-bombs along the way. He's then taken over by Mitsuko who does at least spare him the indignity of a Mariavel slaughterhouse, instead sending John out in a literal blaze of glory after a short duel to the death, which I guess does pay some homage to his intended characterisation.

Honest final thoughts; John's not really worth reading. His death isn't even that great, and feels kind of perfunctory from Mitsuko, though I guess she did have a lot of killing to get done, so I can't entirely hold that against her. Points for trying to be a decent person on-island in a version full of psychotic killers and rapists, but at least as many deducted for being a poorly written shonen protagonist cliché. In a word: meh.

But screw it, give me one more.
[+] Spoiler
Shipping Thread!

Heather Klein is channelling her aggression into constructive outlets.
  • Seems a bit of a neat-freak, seemingly needs everything of hers to be "perfect"
  • Does wrestling, good at grappling... but she's got a mean right hook too
  • Produces aggrowave music, releases it anonymously, never speaks of it; idolises Klayton, Bret Autrey and Daniel Graves
  • Plays keys and drums pretty good, dabbles in guitar
  • Speaks pretty good German, no comprend? romance languages
  • Budding interest in fashion/design
  • Liberal, leaning libertarian, no love for the Democrats or for the Republicans, likes her news sources "alternative"
  • Atheist too; avoids saying so, being a Chicagoan down South and all
Akiem Hampton is keeping cleaner than clean so he can chase the dream.
  • Chattanooga Owls' premier nose tackle, he's a Big Guy (...for you)
  • At church in his best every Sunday
  • Surprisingly bright, likes to study literature, maybe on the debate team, maybe not?
  • Hits like a truck; but wouldn't hurt a fly off the gridiron
  • 10/10 BBQ master, the manliest form of cooking... not bad in an actual kitchen either
  • Lives and lets live, but he still thinks y'all LGBTerrific folks are sinners
  • Politically apathetic, gets his news from the proverbial grapevine, would err on the side of Democrats if pushed
Robert "Don't Call Me Bobby" Briggs was this close to making Top 8 this time, he swears. (tentative)
  • Competitive grinder at Magic the Gathering, goes to every tournament he can get to
  • Tops the more casual events, still hasn't managed to day 2 at a GP or qualify for a PT
  • Nominally Christian, conservative background, apathetic enough to just roll with what his parents say
  • A general-purpose nerd in terms of interests and school performance; not top of the class but not far off either, likes traditional games

No no no, you're shakin' it all wrong!

Ruggahissy
Mr. Danya

August 28th, 2017, 12:22 am #153

Kermit: Dan Birch
Polybius: Greggory Archer
Adjective: Shae Arnav
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
- Today at 8:38 PM
imagine this happening in life
and you pissed off a cop and he made you live with some incontinent sodafreak

05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not kill a policeman
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not steal his helmet
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not defecate in his helmet and mail it to his grieving family.
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not steal it again

17:06 Ruggawork An orison is a prayer
17:07 trash i don't know why i thought it was a bird
17:07 trash who looks at random ass words and thinks "huh what does that mean? whatever it's probably a bird"

14:11 Kalopsia I HEARD FURRIES AND I CAME AS FAST AS I COULD.
14:11 Imehal Lovely.
14:11 Imehal Read that again.

20:16Outfoxd I SAID I'M TAKIN IT BACK FROM THE SALTINE ESTABLISHMENT
20:16Meeemz Half the drag queens on Drag Race would beg to differ.
20:16Outfoxd EVERYONE KNOWS ALL DANCE CAME FROM AFRICA
20:17Outfoxd YOU CRACKAS NEED TO PUT SOME CHEESE ON YOSELF AND GO SIT ON A SNACK TRAY SOMEWHERE

21:07craft i
21:07craft am a fan of blowjbs.
21:07craft nods sagely
21:07Rugga ?
21:07Rugga Does that mean you get a lot of them or give a lot?
21:07craft yes
21:07craft wait
21:07Rugga ....

22:31Mimi THATS WHAT I THPGUTH
22:31Mimi THOUGHTU
22:31mudkip MIMI'S TURN
22:31Ruggahissy Thougt
22:31Ruggahissy THOUGHT
22:31Mimi HOUGHT
22:31Ruggahissy We got it
22:31Mimi THOUGHT
22:31Ruggahissy WE GOT IT
22:31Mimi we did good
22:32Mimi we're a good team

22:46 Meeemz I love dicks, though
22:46 Meeemz er
22:46 Rugga Sig quote
22:46 NaftUm
22:46 Meeemz dicky characters
22:46 Meeemz GOD NO

19:45 BikrikiI am pretty sure we can built a bridge to jerking off

00:11 Mimi DOESN'T FOAM BREAK EASILY
00:11 Ruggahissy Not if you wrap it in duct tape
00:11 MurderWeasel There's a fiberglass core.
00:12 MurderWeasel And the foam is some special sort you buy directly from another dimension using souls as currency or something.
00:12 Ruggahissy.........

14:42 Bikriki JA! Stick it in ze boot!
14:43 Rugga I LOVE THIS KID
14:43 Bikriki adds that to list of sexual euphemisms
14:43 Skyler_Phone You have a list?
14:43 Bikriki <.<
14:43 Bikriki >.>
14:43 Bikriki No...

Victoria says:
Oh wait, I totally forgot to tell you last night because I was busy whoring
Mimi says:
STORY
OF
MY
LIFE

16:42 KamiKaze I've always wondered what using a fleshlight feels like.
16:42 KamiKaze Too bad I'm not special because God didn't give me a penis. ):

17:46 Dom LET JESUS INTO YOUR HEART, NOT YOUR VAGOO

Ruggahissy this dress makes me feel like I should be having tea with the mad hatter. Not getting felt up by drunk Germans
Dom don't let them go down the rab-
Ruggahissy BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dom SO WORTH IT

09:51 Vicky We did a good job, didn't we, Meemz?
09:51 Mimi not really, no

03:19 GeneralGoose*BUT HE'S GONNA THINK IT'S A SPOON. OR MY PENIS. WHICH IT ISN'T*

23:15 Cluevara ICE CREAM MAKES YOU FAT YOU LARDY LARD BUTT.

[+] Spoiler
Jonah Heartsgrave: If you need to talk I'll listen.
Lori Martin: You're so stuck up.
Tirzah Foss: Let's have some fun.
[+] Spoiler

v6
Caleb Diamond: Silly sacrificer
Hazel Jung: Abandoned actress
v5
Amaranta Montalvo: Pageant Winner
Michelle Wexler: Vegetarian sweetheart
Paris Ardennes : Scheming holy man

v4
Ethan Kent : The smartest jerk
Sally Connelley: Dainty meanie
Nick LeMonde : Eternal optimist
Isabel Guerra: Sad little girl
Autumn O'Leary: Lonely redhead
Mary-Ann Warren: Crumbling romantic

D/N
Contender

August 28th, 2017, 1:22 am #154

Welp. I had to get a Chad character eventually. Here we go with Jonathan Michaels.

Jonathan Michaels has a pregame thread where he plays with a lighter in the hallway as he ditches class due to the pregame murder taking everyone's attention or something? Another same-handler character named Jack strolls in and they have a conversation with no dialogue tags so I can't be bothered to keep track of who's speaking. Anyway.

SO.

It should be noted, if you're not aware, that Jonathan Michaels is the professional FEATHERWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD. Apparently he was just dang good at boxing, because all that's basically given is that he started boxing when he was seven, had a rough first year after going pro (as I imagine most 14-year-olds would) and then turned it around an won the championship on his sixteenth birthday. He immediately celebrated with a three-month long drug binge so his parents made him go to public school. It's said he's a "former" champion in the bio, but there's no mention of him losing or getting stripped of the title and later in the bio it says he still has it. That bugs me a bit. That's also pretty much the entire bio so him being the drug-addled boxing champion of the world is all we're gonna get.

SO ON-ISLAND

It takes all of two sentences before Jonathan is reminiscing about all the blowjobs he's gotten. This is also a songpost set to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which saddens me. But.... OK Jonathan is thinking about his life and making the connection between getting fucked by a girl because everyone fucks you over in life and now he's on SOTF blah blah blah, and IT'S NOT TERRIBLE. Like, lame, but not bad. That italics flashback isn't bad.... and then it turns bad, into an endless thread of 200-word run-on sentences that are meant to be poetic or whatever. Chad something comes up to Jonathan and screeches about how he needs an ally to find a girl. Jonathan tells him to fuck off, so Chad calls the boxing champion of the world gay. Jonathan gets up and goes into a massive rambling monologue broken by spurts of Chad crying, pleading, revelling in Jonathan's badassness, and pissing his pants, until they stare at each other for five minutes and Jonathan shoves his entire shotgun down Chad's throat and blows his head off. That... was pretty terrible. Oh and then Jonathan cries at the pathos of what fate has brought his way or whatever.

An Linh Tran comes by and tackles him, so Jonathan starts thinking about sex he might have had with her in the past and "9 inches of Jonathan Michaels poking her in the eye". WELP. She also gets the better of him during the fight for a bit, which says some very sad things about the state of boxing these days. She later dodges his punches. You're kind of a shitty boxer, Jonathan. Then they both run to open their bags and his zipper gets stuck so An Lihn hits him in the face with brass knuckles, and he runs away, not bothering to shoot her because reasons.

THE FEATHERWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, PEOPLE.

In his next thread he muses over how the shitstorm that just went down was a "PR Disaster" (yep) and self-loathes a bit. OK, I like that Jonathan is a self-loathing guy. It helps a bit that he's always musing on how deep down he hates himself, and while I wouldn't say it makes him relatable, it's better than nothing.

But forget anything with potential happening because here comes another same-handler-handled character for a dumb death. Brad Wilson comes by and says in like two sentences "HELLO angry person! Why not have some water I give you? Nothing suspicious here!" so Jonathan starts slurping it down while unloading a bit on how fucked up he is. Fine. BUT NO, Brad had deviously put LSD in the water so as to turn Jonathan into his enslaved minion, or something.

That does not work. Instead Jonathan hallucinates random things and screams "BEGONE FOUL HYDRA" before ripping Brad's clothes and face parts off with his bare hands and also blowing his head off with the shotgun. Then Jonathan is fine again and moves on. So will I.

He has some pleasant memories about "orgies with Czech supermodels" when he was 15 and rambles on about v1 and nothing in particular. About like six people come by but all Jonathan cares about is Whitney Acosta (whom he doesn't even know but she's the most important and Chad had mentioned her). Some people recognize him from whatever homeroom, but no one seems to notice or care that he's a multiple-killer or also THE BOXING CHAMPION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD. Whitney leaves and then a couple other people come and leave and everyone leaves. Glad to see these kind of pointless threads aren't a recent invention at least! Jonathan has another pointless RHCP songpost about all the gazillions of sex he'd had on the beach in Miami or whatever.

He immediately moves into a new thread with fucking Blind Melon songposting AAAAAARHG. He's showing some signs of cracking up by screaming to himself about An Lihn, we'll see if that goes anywhere. Four hundred pound Rupert Stockton watches this, does seem to recognize him as the boxing champ, and insults his penis size. Jonathan starts to reply, but then the announcement comes on. The first announcement.

ALL THIS HAPPENED ON THE FIRST DAY?!

So Jonathan is terrified at being announced as a killer, which completely goes against what I've seen of his character, and runs off. He meets ANOTHER Chad-handled character in Chris Cohen. They fight and apparently have some backstory about Jonathan... I don't even know. Chris and his wife (?!) were at a concert and Jonathan apparently ripped off a girl's clothes and left her there naked? So they start idiotically monologuing at each other during the fight and then it degenerates into them just getting into some philosophical argument that they decide to solve with rock paper scissors. Jonathan loses and cries while honorably giving Chris the shotgun to kill him. Chris runs away instead of shooting. But then Chris turns around and shoots Jonathan in the back from fifty yards away anyway. This gives Jonathan a barrage of shrapnel that the narrative helpfully tells us is badly at risk for infection, so Jonathan then decides he needs an ally.

His final thread is a completely incomprehensible screed that's presented as an interview in the diary of 12-year-old Brandon Cuthbert (guess who handled him). The interview is utterly pointless and then Jonathan walks away and the 12-year-old child proceeds to effortlessly beat him up, then chokes him out with an X-Box controller and dissects him alive.

THE FEATHERWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, PEOPLE!

So yeah. Jonathan Michaels... I try to be a bit positive. And if you first of all forget the fucking world boxing champion stuff, and cut out all the idiocy about him sleeping with ten girls a week or whatever wannabe-edgy shit his handler loves to stuff in, there's a bit of a glimmer of what could have been. Jonathan has a few moments where he's truly this angry, self-loathing guy who can't help but tell people to fuck off and then lash out at them if they don't, and if THAT had been played up instead of, well, everything else, and if he'd had some actual relations and threads with people who WEREN'T also handled by Chad, maybe we could've had something. But instead you get what was above, and hey, that's V2

ANOTHER!

v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

Cicada Days
Winner

August 28th, 2017, 1:52 am #155

Licinia '7 is more powerful than the sun' Vinici

To be honest there was actually a glimmer of promise to this character. Not in the concept because obviously the concept is over-the-top and way too try-hard but I mean, I can even respect that. It's a product of the time and of the writer culture of the time, and Licinia is at least internally consistent, for a while anyways her narrative manages to sell the vision of her character by being refreshingly brusque, with little tidbits of interesting language and an airs of detachment. Yes, blah blah, the backstory is stupid and the profile sucks, I'm aware, but that's just typical V2 fare anyways.

The first thread is just two posts, but they're two decent ones. Good little narrative framing device with the fly bouncing around on her still body, a little awkward language and some typos but all stuff I can overlook! I honestly thought Licinia had promise by the time I was done. The prose sold her character very well, Waffle seemed to have an at least adequate sense of narrative timing and effective and efficient usage of his words to paint a picture.

Squandered come next thread, it's all more or less thrown away. I get the sense that Waffle was working better with Licinia back when he actually didn't know what he wanted to do with her or was keeping it under wraps, but the moment she starts to lay out her vision and buy into all the angry repressed mysterious tragic girl tropes the quality of the writing takes a significant turn for the worse. Waffle had a sort of prose while working with Licinia (and I think Garry as well, from the snippets of him I saw) where when there wasn't much to explain some good qualities showed through: economy of words, a capacity for interesting visuals and narrative snippets (not so much in the way of interesting turns of phrase, the narrative style is too straightforward), and good sense of dramatic timing. But when Licinia does have a goal, that of being the vengeful killer, her writing just becomes a ton of to-the-point and super dull info dump about her motivations and backstory. Waffle cannot sell that in particular, and that is what Licinia becomes for the remainder of her two threads.

So anyways, she meets Paris, randomly opens up despite supposedly being pathologically antisocial due to implied and explicit abuse and trauma. Now I could buy this, I hypothesized that her opening up was a pseudo-hysterical manner of coping/implying the loosening of her inhibitions but the prose does not sell that, doesn't even imply it, it barely gives it lipservice at all. She has an awkwardly shoehorned in 'diary entry' sequence that is not well set up. Paris and Licinia get the team up going despite barely talking. Licinia, funnily enough, does the bulk of the conversating and prompting.

They fail transition into the residential area but getting DZ-blocked from the Lighthouse. Paris betrays Licinia and it's only really set up on his end, Licinia's own narrative pretty much fails to acknowledge the betrayal in any meaningful way. The lamest 'we are family' revelation ever with a clumsy handlercest between Garry and Licinia, and to be honest there were some interesting moments of narrative blurring of the lines between the characters that I did appreciate, I just failed to appreciate the larger whole of the posts due to bad dialogue, awkward timings, so on and so on. The death is in it's very last sentence at least poignant, which once more enforces the theory I had running headlong with my delve into Waffle's character: Waffle is a good writer, has a sense for it, but has certain bad habits that are ubiquitous at the time of V2 (infodump and a lack of respect for the dramatic impetus of major character actions like, I dunno, dying) that drag down at the very least Licinia (Garry also seemed to be a flawed entry from what I could tell).

I kind of liked Licinia to be honest, at least for the potential, but the execution got worse and worse and she was a pretty substandard read by the time I was done with her. There isn't much to say. Just a lame read, over the top concept with weak execution.

A full set of my live notetaking while reading can be found here.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
"C'mon! It's just a prank, bro."

- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4
Unofficial Theme : 'When it's clear to everybody I'm always the last to know.'
Extra art by Mimi! (1)
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Sprite credit to Yugikun (Beryl Mahelona, Gyu-ri Christensen, and Demetri Fustcher) and Fenris (Charelle Chernyshyova, Ramsey Cortez, and Joanne Coleman).
[+] Spoiler
Character Relationships (no longer updated)
Hero | Swap
[+] Spoiler

B036 - Dead
(Adopted from Yugikun)
[+] Spoiler
"And you were the one looking to pick a fight. Don't complain when you don't get the one you want."
- Memories - 1 2 3 4 5 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 - Sadie Hawkins - 1 2
[+] Spoiler
"Hope that's good enough."
- Arsenal - Bag of dried chipotle chilies (LOST)
- Island - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
- Meanwhile - 1 2
[+] Spoiler

G047 - Dead
[+] Spoiler
"It's Tina."
- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 - Sadie Hawkins -
[+] Spoiler
"You're nothing."
- Arsenal - The 'Man Catcher' (LOST)
- Island - 1 2
- Meanwhile - 1
- ??? - 1
Sprite credit to Fenris (Ben Fields) and Yugikun (Tina Luz).

Ruggahissy
Mr. Danya

August 28th, 2017, 2:10 am #156

23 students remain

Fenris: Franco Sebberts
DN: Kyle Rizea
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not defecate in his helmet and mail it to his grieving family.

17:07 trash who looks at random ass words and thinks "huh what does that mean? whatever it's probably a bird"

20:17Outfoxd YOU CRACKAS NEED TO PUT SOME CHEESE ON YOSELF AND GO SIT ON A SNACK TRAY SOMEWHERE

00:12 MurderWeasel And the foam is some special sort you buy directly from another dimension using souls as currency or something.

Victoria says:
Mimi says:
STORY
OF
MY
LIFE

Ruggahissy this dress makes me feel like I should be having tea with the mad hatter. Not getting felt up by drunk Germans
Dom SO WORTH IT

03:19 GeneralGoose*BUT HE'S GONNA THINK IT'S A SPOON. OR MY PENIS. WHICH IT ISN'T*

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

v6
v5

v4

D/N
Contender

August 28th, 2017, 2:35 am #157

Well, turns out I already sorta read Kyle Rizea, since he was the rando guy I mentioned Bryan Calvert killing in my Matty Drew review. Also turns out that Kyle RIZea is actually v2 Riz, as in based on the same guy v3 Riz was! Also this doesn't really "turn out" since this should be obvious to anyone, but the combination of "Riz", "born in Waterloo Ontario" and "weakness: women" means this is most certainly a Dan character. Not complaining there!

Speaking of women and Waterloo, Kyle's first thoughts: "Fuckin eh! My god damn head hurts. Both of them"

He then thinks about how much he hates Italian soccer players. He reads through the manual and in effect, decides that not killing folks is for pussies even if it's the smarter way and so why not go bloodily murder some folks? It starts raining though so he sensibly decides to instead look around with his binoculars until that stops.

Matty Drew and Rob (also handled by Dan) and Anna (inactive at this point) come in but don't do anything but follow from a distance. Calvert also arrives, and Kyle sees him and decides to sneak attack him and kill Bryan with his own shotgun, owing to the fact that Kyle can't die because he'll soon be a millionaire soccer player. I'm guessing that won't work, Kyle. This scene has been handled with some decent suspense thus far, people converging on the industrial sector in the rain while a guy scopes them out and plans to ambush them. He hits Bryan with a half-brick and the others react to the sounds of sudden fighting, with Rob saying he'll check it out.

So Bryan rises towards Rizes, pissed now, and Kyle decides to take off. He tries to scrabble up a fire escape, but slips in the rain and Calvert comments on the dumbness of that before yanking Kyle down, giving him a headbutt, and beating his face in in a rage. THE END.

Hey. For a one-thread v2-era wonder, you can't ask for too much more than that. Yes, Kyle has no character, decides to be a player for no reason, and turns out pure fodder for Bryan. It's all competently written and no one gets their genitals bitten off. I don't complain.

One more.
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

Skraal
Player
Skraal
Player

August 28th, 2017, 2:40 am #158

Edgar’s only pregame thread is the murder-mystery thread, which is fairly painful to read due to formatting issues and gaps in the narrative due to lost posts. Edgar seems like a decent guy, strangely unfazed by the fact that one of his classmates just died, but then again, so are most people in that thread, seemingly. I’ll give him a pass there, since I’ll just assume that having classmates die is a regular occurrence in the crime ridden slum that is Denton, New Jersey.

I liked his waking up post. He prays for protection and regrets going on the trip, seeing as he didn’t want to leave his mother back home and had to be talked into going by his father and grandmother. I was really relieved at this point that I had finally found a religious character who wasn’t going to be an insane stereotype. The thread goes like a normal, modern SOTF thread almost, at least until Mariavel walks in. The thread becomes rather chaotic, with multiple arguments going on simultaneously and weapons being pointed at various people in a sort of tense standoff. Things begin cooling down, and Edgar quickly cements himself as my favourite character in the thread by acting as the voice of reason to the other characters’ wild accusations and threats. He turns down Mariavel’s offer of an alliance and exits the thread, resolving not to compromise his morals by committing murder.

My one gripe is that throughout the thread, Edgar refers repeatedly to an unnamed half-brother who isn’t mentioned in his profile, and who apparently was abducted during SOTF V1. This normally wouldn’t be too bad, by V2 standards, but I’ve reread his posts several times and I can’t figure out who this half-brother was. It’s rather annoying.

In the next thread, Edgar encounters what is probably the worst Christian stereotype that I’ve seen thus far (and I’ve seen quite a few), Anthony Ainsworth. Coming in right after Anthony’s rant about how God must have sent them into the game to have them slaughter “godless heathens” as a test of character, Edgar shuts him down right away. Edgar, operating under the very understandable assumption that God had abandoned him, is immediately set upon by Anthony, who assumes that he is possessed by a demon. Edgar decides, quite reasonably, that it wouldn’t be wise to stick around with the lunatic who has now begun to attempt an exorcism upon him, and gets the hell out of dodge.

It was at this point that riserugu left the site, and Cyco takes over as Edgar’s handler for his final post. While his character does shift to become a bit more introspective, the adoption is handled way better than any other adoption I’ve seen from V2 so far. He has a quiet moment as he sits in the dark, questioning his faith yet afraid to abandon what is at the moment the only source of stability in his life. After a moment of reflection, he is ambushed by Dan Johnson, who after a brief fight injects...something into Edgar from a syringe, which rapidly kills him. As his consciousness fades away, Edgar ends his time on the island just as it began, with a prayer.

In the announcement where Edgar’s death is mentioned, it is revealed that his half-brother is...Hawley Faust. You’d think this would have been mentioned in his profile, but nope. I vaguely remember Hawley having a brother back in V1, but I’ve only read bits and pieces of his storyline so I wouldn’t have been able to make the connection.

Overall, I think Edgar was a pretty good, down-to-earth character, and one of the few examples of a character whose religious beliefs influenced his character in a realistic way, rather than being used as an excuse for him to murder people. His narrative was fairly interesting to read, and I like that he was willing to shut down the over-the-top hysterics of some of his more unstable classmates. Unfortunately, the Hawley Faust connection doesn’t do much for the character, and I think it’s pretty ridiculous to expect the reader to be familiar with the backstory of a character from a previous version in order to understand what’s going on with your character. The handler didn’t have to give me Hawley’s entire backstory or anything, just put a line in Edgar’s profile or something saying “This guy is Hawley Faust’s half-brother”, and the story would have made a lot more sense. Thankfully, she seems to recognize this and ditches that plotline after Edgar’s first thread, though since the thread in question takes up more than half of Edgar’s total time on the island, it’s a little too late for that.

I think the character is easier to recommend to readers who are already familiar with Hawley Faust, but regardless, I feel like Edgar was a solid addition to the V2 roster and one of the better characters on the island.

I’ll take another character.
[+] Spoiler
Cards

Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Current Status: Deceased
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand
[+] Spoiler
Cards

Characters:
Oliver Lacroix Current Status: Alive
William "Bill" Dover Current Status: Alive
Salvatore "Sal" Bonaventura Current Status: Alive
Scott Fischer Current Status: Alive

Kermit
Contender

August 28th, 2017, 2:40 am #159

Well fuck me sideways and call me Sally, I got Bryan’s first kill!

Dan’s appearance is good for V2. I don’t have much more to say. His profile is good. Dan is good. It’s unrealistic, but it’s good.

Dan has no pregame.

Dan does have island though.

It’s good. He and Bryan have a fight and then Bryan shoots Dan. They have a heart to heart as Dan bleeds out. It’s good.

Conclusion: Dan is pretty good I guess, though you’ll end up reading him if you read Bryan.

As you might be able to tell, I’m getting a bit burned out, so I’ll refrain from asking for another. FOR NOW….
"Kermit you are the guy in the horror movie that finds a book bound in human skin and decides to read out loud what is inside for fun" - some mean lady named Ruggahissy
[+] Spoiler
V1 art!

v2 art ;~;
Sadly kermit looked at a mariavel. It was so sad... such a sad mariavel... like him... he only waned a normal life... was that too much to ask? was it?

Laurels
Mr. Danya

August 28th, 2017, 2:55 am #160

I'll take another since we're close to the end.
[+] Spoiler
Nadia Riva
"You don't think I'm pretty enough to be a model? And you're telling me while wearing that face?"

Noah Whitley
"You look like you could use a laugh, and I have just the joke for that."

Alba Reyes
"Woo hoo! Three holes in one! That's a new record!"
[+] Spoiler
Girl #007-Rachael Langdon
"I really am going to die, aren't I? Oh god, what am I going to do?"

Armed with a Solar Powered Scientific Calculator
Stabbed with a sword by Marcus Leung.
Girl #018-Claire Monaghan
"You know, I always thought I'd be seen by millions. Fuck Murphy's Law."

Armed with a Shotgun Flashlight (1 Bullet) and a bulletproof vest

Girl #035-Sophie McDowell
"People often find inspiration in the darkest times. I guess I can too."
Killed by a grenade thrown by Summer Simms

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

19:10 Laurelena: When octopi eat hamsters, the resulting laughter is a mix of colorful idiocy and dainty ice skating

18:10 Mimi: "how many nipples does Miss Piggy REALLY have?"

16:57 Mimi play Fergaliscious
16:58 Mimi IF YOU EVER WANT FANS
16:58 Mimi YOU NEED FERALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi FERGALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi Omg
16:58 Mimi feral-liscious
16:58 Mimi that's
16:58 Mimi blowing my mind

16:57 KamiKaze Laurie, if you ever become a mod, let it be known that one day you will critique someone's profile who had a girl killing her family friend because he raped her, and the person will insult you by calling you a talking Oshawott doll.

21:42Acidic i AM ANAL WART MAN

00:19Delroy.... I HAVE AN IMAGE OF HANSEL FUCKING TRAVIS WITH A CHAINSAW STUCK IN MY HEAD. HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY GOOD!?

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon and Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

August 28th, 2017, 3:21 am #161

I didn't enjoy Debrah Dollop.

She only had a couple of posts in pregame, the only notable event of which was when she gave someone an erection by licking her lips in her very first post. Seriously, why were so many v2 characters obsessed with sex?

On the island, she was obsessed with finding her sister Deliah, and it was emphasized in almost every post of hers. Once she does get some information from Melanie DeSilva, she kills her immediately afterward. Granted, Melanie was begging Debrah to kill her, but the fact that Debrah feels no guilt for doing so, and the narrative outright states that she saw Melanie as someone who had outlived her use to her doesn't put her in a good light.

Once Debrah finds Deliah is when things really go off the rails, though. You see, Deliah was pregnant, and the stresses of the island caused her to miscarry right in front of her sister. The miscarriage is described in disgusting detail, and Debrah kills Deliah afterward in a fit of rage and despair. This scene made me incredibly uncomfortable, and I have absolutely no intention of going back to read it at any point in the future.

Once Deliah is dead, Debrrah takes her severed hand and wanders the island in full-on freakout mode for two more threads before suddenly deciding to make a heroic stand against Vesa Turunen and getting killed for it.

I do not recommend Debrah Dollop. She spends her entire story being obsessed with her sister, making her come off as a very flat, limited character. The fact that her story involves an incredibly disgusting scene does not do her any favors either. If you're reading v2, I'd say you should give her a skip.

Another character, if you please.

[+] Spoiler
v5 Characters:

B029- Matt Masters- DECEASED (114/152)

B043- Adonis Alba- DECEASED (124/152)

G051- Stacey Mordetsky- DECEASED (136/152)

Ruggahissy
Mr. Danya

August 28th, 2017, 3:57 am #162

I am 6 threads out of a total 22 done with Bryan and will make an effort to finish him tonight. The end is in sight thanks to all of you.

DN: Harry Constantine
Skraal: Michael Neely
Laurels: Wanda Lovett
Aura: Kasumi White

19 STUDENTS REMAIN
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Victoria says:
Mimi says:
STORY
OF
MY
LIFE

Dom SO WORTH IT

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

v6
v5

v4

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

August 28th, 2017, 4:23 am #163

Kasumi's story is an extremely brief read, so I was able to breeze right through it.

Kasumi's pregame is incredibly shortand doesn't really amount to much of anything, so I'll skip right over it.

On the island, Kasumi starts in the church, prays for guidance, and tries to play peacemaker with the surprisingly large group that wound up gathering there. However, she very quickly goes inactive and winds up getting blown up when the chapel becomes a danger zone.

Kasumi is an extremely minor character in the grand scheme of things, and has no real effect on anyone outside of her boyfriend Lance. As such, even though she isn't particularly poorly written, I can't really recommend her because there's almost no substance at all in her story.

Another character, if you please.

[+] Spoiler
v5 Characters:

B029- Matt Masters- DECEASED (114/152)

B043- Adonis Alba- DECEASED (124/152)

G051- Stacey Mordetsky- DECEASED (136/152)

Flare
Contender

August 28th, 2017, 4:28 am #164

Surprise, it's me, asking for a character at the last minute
V5 Characters:

Jack McDonald is a SELF-INSERT YAY.

Skraal
Player
Skraal
Player

August 28th, 2017, 4:46 am #165

Our first introduction to Michael has him throwing a temper tantrum, smashing everything that he can find nearby, while blaming somebody named Shane Moyer for getting him sent to the island. There’s no indication of who Shane Moyer is, other than the fact that Michael thinks that he’s a “faggot” and a “preppy bitch”. Off to a good start, I see.

He then stumbles upon a conversation between Alexander Bee, Edgar Judah, and Anthony Ainsworth(who I complained about a bit in my review of Edgar). Still not a fan of Anthony, by the way. Michael then disappears for several rounds of posting (I guess post order just wasn’t a thing in V2) before briefly interjecting with an swing of his golf club at a nearby bottle before realizing that acting aggressive around a clearly insane person probably isn’t a good idea. Michael is however unable to stop himself from laughing at Anthony’s ridiculous attempt to perform an exorcism on Edgar. Seeing that Anthony clearly isn’t about to calm down any time soon, Michael decides to take his chances elsewhere and runs off into the rain.

He then is killed off in a Mariavel Massacre™.

Overall, he wasn’t too bad of a character, but his run isn’t anything really worth looking at. He only has 4 short posts to his name, and most of his time is spent reacting to Anthony’s lunacy rather than doing anything interesting of his own. I’d lean towards not recommending him, as he’s little more than fodder, unfortunately.

I’ll take another character. Looks like we've almost reached the end.
[+] Spoiler
Cards

Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand