VysePresident
Mr. Danya

June 28th, 2013, 6:22 am #11

Ian wasn't exactly thrilled with Sharon's plan for several reasons, not least of which was because she was so blatantly asking one of them to take a risk she didn't even want to consider doing herself. Not that it was likely to be any more dangerous than moving around the back, but her casual, matter of fact statement had really rubbed him the wrong way.

However, he didn't have any alternatives to offer, and this was better than continuing to stand outside and talk about what to do. He was willing to assume that she'd seen someone, as it fit his desire to be cautious, but he wasn't sure that sneaking in would be the best choice. While he understood that it was likely some of his classmates would choose to kill, he was willing to bet that the greater danger would be to risk startling an otherwise harmless person who happened to be holding something like a gun. Still, there were going to be problems with any course they took, and he didn't see enough reasons to justify arguing about it, especially as Steven had effectively agreed with the plan when he volunteered to be the one to knock on the door.

He'd briefly considered offering to take Steven's place, and letting him and Sharon go around the back. He recognized that he was the stranger here, and earning their trust was extremely important if they were going to be spending any length of time together. However, the more he thought about it, the more he felt that tactically, not to mention tactfully, Steven was the best choice. He'd already proven to be up to dealing with people, and honestly, it was unlikely that he'd be in any more danger than the other two. Ian still felt that the two sneaking around the back were more likely to run into trouble. He at least had his experience in martial arts, and while he didn't want to count on a skill when he might not be able to deliver, he had to admit he was probably their best bet for dealing with someone hostile inside a relatively confined area like the mansion. So Ian just nodded at the other boy when he finished talking.

"Yeah, I'm afraid I only got a camera, so we might as well get going. Just be sure to check the windows after you knock, okay? I doubt there'll be any problems, but better safe than sorry. That way you'll at least have some idea of what's going on."

He turned to Sharon as a sudden idea hit him. "Oh, speaking of windows, I think we should make a tight circle around the building. With any luck at all, we might be able to spot anyone in there, without giving them a chance to react in a way we wouldn't care for."
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!
Character #1: Boy #37 Ian Williams - Now with 55% less self-insert.
Designated Weapon: Polaroid Instant Camera With Film (Enough for 8 photographs)

Past - | 1 | 2 | (Current thread - Birds of a Feather)
Pregame - None
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (Final Thread - Glass
)
Character #2: Boy #66 Chase Rodriguez - Adopted from Pippin.
Designated Weapon: Silver Pill Box Containing Three Cyanide Capsules

Past - None
Pregame - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (Last seen in - Diversions)
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (Final Thread - Drawing to an End)

simpleinsanity
Cannon Fodder
simpleinsanity
Cannon Fodder

July 3rd, 2013, 6:26 pm #12

"Okay, I'll look out. Look out for one second. Just a second-half a second, even-OKAY, SHE SAW ME." Cyrus wasn't panicking yet, per say. He sighed, crawling slightly under the couch.

"Just have to look under the couch, pull up the skirt, and...okay, they shouldn't be able to see me." He looked carefully, his view slightly obstructed. They didn't seem to have any weapons. He sighed again, relieved. Crawling out of the couch, he slung his duffel bag over his shoulder and picked up his ice axe.

"Just have to look nonthreatening, keep my weapon low..." He paused. This was the first time he referred to the axe as a weapon. He shook his head, staring at the tool. "I...I might have to kill someone. Not today, hopefully, but soon. I wonder if anyone has...like, died already? What if these people have guns, but I can't see them?" Cyrus shook his head again, clutching the axe with both hands.

"No...you'll be fine. Just...be friendly, or something like that. If they're murderers, they wouldn't be able to organize so early in the game...right?" He put one hand on the door knob. "Ugh...game." Turning the knob, he pulled the door open. He blinked at the sudden light and smiled in the general direction of the group.

"Hi! I'm not a murderer!" He kicked himself, mentally. "Yep, not suspicious at all, Cyrus..."

jimmydalad
Leader

July 9th, 2013, 5:05 am #13

Unfortunately, their new ally didn't have a weapon, only a camera. It made her think about her life back at home, where she would just mindlessly take photos and enjoy the atmosphere around her. That fleeting memory made her smile before she remembered that she brought her own camera. Her eyes opened widely in surprise as she couldn't remember seeing her camera anywhere. Oh no they didn't.

"The bastards! They took my camera!" Sharon suddenly yelled, feeling her anger rise up within her. Her fists clenched in fury, clearly looking unhappy. She had forgotten about her camera up until now and the reminder only served to act as a slap in the face to her. She had that camera for most of her life. How dare they take her camera. How fucking dare they. She chewed her lip harshly, only to hear an unfamiliar voice call out to them.

Sharon whipped suddenly in the direction of the voice, her hair flipping wildly behind her. It was the mormon kid, Cyrus. She never bothered to get to know him and she was not really interested in getting to know him. He was just another person in school, a bit stupid about religion, but just another kid. She was more interested in the weapon though, which looked like an axe. Probably an ice axe. Great, the fucking mormon got the weapon while she got that stupid fucking DVD. She was very unamused.

"You're not doing a fucking good job of convincing me." Sharon spat out in reply, gesturing to the weapon in the kid's hand. She was not in the mood for any of this bullshit. What the hell was he saying? How did that serve to set them at ease? It was fucking pathetic and weak. She glared furiously at Cyrus, her eyes filled with the fires of rage and anger. Why did he get the weapon while she got the fucking joke weapon? How was that fair?

Sharon paced angrily towards Cyrus and went right up to his face, glowering angrily in some attempt to intimidate him. This was probably a really stupid move, but she wasn't scared. She was brave and strong and while she didn't have a weapon, it was 3 against 1. If he tried anything, he would meet the business end of a world of fists. She hoped that he wasn't an idiot.

"If you want to do a fucking better job of convincing me, put that ice axe on the floor. Now." Sharon declared, wanting to get that thing out of his hands before they could talk about anything else. She did not want to contest with that weapon. She had the numbers, but he had the superior weapon. If he attacked, it was guaranteed that one of them would be injured or maybe even killed. That wasn't going to happen on her watch though.
[+] spoiler
Jimmydalad's Relationship Thread: Click here
[+] spoiler
Aria Samuels - "I-I'm sorry..."
Pregame: o -> o -> o
Prom: o
Island: o -> o -> o
[+] spoiler
Camilla "Cammy" Davidson - "I'll see you around, ok?"
Prom: o -> o
Island: o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
[+] spoiler
Sharon Elizabeth Austin - "I know how long this could take, so I'll make this quick."
Island: o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
[+] spoiler
Relationship Thread: http://s10.zetaboards.com/SOTF_V2/topic/9032799/1/

Lukas Nielson - "Yes, Tina Dominica is my mom. No, my life isn't as interesting as you think it is." - Profile

Pregame: o -> o -> o -> o
Memories: o

Millicent "Milly" Rosenberg - "As much as I hate them, at least they make my life interesting." - Profile

Pregame: o -> o
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

July 10th, 2013, 6:16 am #14

"It's okay," Steven said, stepping up alongside Sharon. This was not ideal. The boy insider had decided to step out before they'd gotten into position, meaning Steven had been unable to insert himself as a buffer for the interactions. He's really been hoping to prime anyone they met for Sharon's acerbic nature, but he'd make do. Right now, as long as everyone calmed down and didn't cause trouble, he'd be happy. Taking control of the situation would let him push it in that direction.

"You don't have to put it on the floor," he added. "Just, a pocket or something. We don't have any real weapons, so you'll be safe, too."

He took a quick breath, searched his mental catalog until he could pull a name out. Cyrus White, big into shop class. Steven was pretty sure Cyrus had a reputation for being good to others. That was a promising sign, and while Steven was very aware that stress could change even the best of people, the game hadn't been running long enough for him to believe such a thing of Cyrus, especially when the boy's weapon showed no signs of use, when they had heard no sounds of conflict during their approach.

"You mind if we come in? We were looking for some shelter, a place to spend the night. If you'd rather we go, though, we can try the neighbors."

He gave a nod towards the other mansion, off in the distance. It would be far preferable to take this one, but he wasn't about to get into conflict with Cyrus over something so trivial. Avoiding making enemies was way more important than avoiding a little extra walking.

VysePresident
Mr. Danya

July 12th, 2013, 12:16 am #15

"Hey, Cyrus, right? No worries. We're all just a little tense at the moment, but all we wanted is safe place to rest, if you're okay with that."

Ian smiled at Cyrus, as he came up behind the other two, even while he inwardly sighed in quiet frustration. Sharon's little display there had really put him on edge, especially when she came barreling down on the boy holding a pickaxe. Thankfully, he showed no signs of tensing up, or otherwise preparing to attack, even when she got in his face and started lashing out at him. So far, luck was beating stupidity two to zero. To judge from their actions, one would think it meant their team was losing, but somehow, he was okay with that. Now, he just had to hope that luck would pull a hat trick, and they'd be able to salvage the situation. He really didn't want to go through this again, even if they had a plan in mind now.

Thankfully, once again, Steven had already interjected himself in the mess, and seemed to be doing a decent job at damage control. Ian was content to let him take the lead on that for now, just offering support where he felt it'd be useful. He briefly wondered if there was a way he could help calm Sharon down, but decided against it. Anything he said to her was more likely to add fuel to the fire than to help, however well intentioned. He just had to hope that Cyrus was willing to let it go. Ian didn't know him well enough to be sure how he'd react, but the few times they'd chatted, Cyrus had seemed a kind and likeable guy. Hopefully, he'd had the right impression of the other boy.
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!

Pregame - None
)

Past - None

simpleinsanity
Cannon Fodder
simpleinsanity
Cannon Fodder

July 12th, 2013, 2:34 am #16

Cyrus stared quizzically at the girl shouting obscenities at him. From the second he heard her screaming outside, to the second she started screaming in her face, he felt sorry for her. Not that he would say it to her face, of course. The situation was tense enough without Cyrus appearing to hold himself superior to her. He let her continue her verbal assault until it got to the point about the weapon. Just as he was about to speak up, a skinny Latino came running up.

"Este...Estavo...Esteban! Or is it Steven? It's Esteban, but he goes by Steven...ugh, I should've socialized more." Steven started speaking, and Cyrus listened. This boy was in journalism, if he remembered. Social guy, has spoken to just about everyone. Cyrus felt relieved. This guy couldn't hurt a fly. He heard him say something about them not having weapons, which made him even more relieved. As he was about to speak up, ANOTHER person came up.

"Ian, I think...he's a nice guy too, so unless these three all cracked under the pressure at the same time, they shouldn't be interested in playing this game." Once they had all finished talking, he took a deep breath and threw his ice axe backwards through the door. He smiled widely, even laughing a little.

"You all have no idea how relieved I am, I totally thought you were going to kill me!" He laughed a bit more, stepping into the doorway. "Please, come in, I was just looting the medicine cabinet. The kitchen is on the left, if I remember correctly." He strode inside, not even checking if the three were following. He picked the ice axe up off the floor, tossing it into a nearby couch. "If none of you have weapons, I could help you make some makeshift stuff as long as you can help me scrounge up some tools." He thought he'd never have houseguests again.

jimmydalad
Leader

July 14th, 2013, 5:07 pm #17

While she was annoyed by Steven's interruption, Sharon realized that it was a good thing that he did come in. She was in no state to calmly talk to anyone, her anger still steaming along. She hated when she got angry. It was something she couldn't really do anything about. She would always lose her temper and do something rash or stupid without even thinking about the consequences. She didn't want that to happen in the game.

While the others talked, Sharon took a few steps away from them and started to take deep breaths. She tried to clear her mind of her camera, which had been taken away from her. Unfortunately, that wasn't really something easy to do. It had been with her for years and it was a part of her. To be without her camera, Sharon felt exposed. It was her memories with her parents that got to her the most and the reason why she became angry. However, now wasn't the time to get angry. Sharon told herself this as she took the breaths.

After reaching a state of calmness, Sharon walked back to the group, adjusting her beret so that it felt a little more comfortable. She eventually reached Cyrus and gave him a sheepish look. She probably overreacted with her interaction with him. She didn't want him to be scared of her or see her as a threat. She knew that would be harmful in the long run and therefore, she had to set it straight.

"I'm sorry mate. I guess I let my anger get the better of me. The bastards took my camera and your weapon caused me to lash out." Sharon informed Cyrus, trying not to look embarrassed. She didn't like apologizing, but she had to do it. The game was making her do a lot of things that she didn't like. There was nothing she could do about it though. Just her luck.

"So what do we do now?" Sharon quickly asked the others, hoping not to linger on apologies and whatnot. It was getting late and Sharon let out a yawn, tired from the events that had occurred throughout the day.
[+] spoiler
Jimmydalad's Relationship Thread: Click here
[+] spoiler
Aria Samuels - "I-I'm sorry..."
Prom: o
Island: o -> o -> o
[+] spoiler
Camilla "Cammy" Davidson - "I'll see you around, ok?"
Prom: o -> o
Island: o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
[+] spoiler
Sharon Elizabeth Austin - "I know how long this could take, so I'll make this quick."
Island: o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
[+] spoiler
Relationship Thread: http://s10.zetaboards.com/SOTF_V2/topic/9032799/1/

Lukas Nielson - "Yes, Tina Dominica is my mom. No, my life isn't as interesting as you think it is." - Profile

Pregame: o -> o -> o -> o

Millicent "Milly" Rosenberg - "As much as I hate them, at least they make my life interesting." - Profile

Pregame: o -> o
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

July 16th, 2013, 5:04 am #18

((The loose outline of this timeskip and GMing has been approved by everyone involved. I'm keeping the specifics vague so everyone can fill in their own stuff, but if anything needs editing, let me know and I'll fix it. :) ))

"I think," Steven said, "everyone on this island is a little tense. I hope so, at least. Otherwise, something's wrong with them."

With the situation defused, the group moved inside. The mansion was large, spacious, all around a fine place to spend time indeed. Steven actually felt a little bit bad; here they were in relative safety and luxury, while outside in the wilderness their classmates might even now be fighting for their lives. At the moment, however, there was nothing that could be done about that, and so Steven contented himself with making the best of the situation and keeping the others in some sort of order.

They scoured the house for anything else useful, and at the same time took some security precautions. At any given time, at least one of the four would be on watch from the upstairs windows, ready to call out if anyone else approached. Nobody did, though, and soon enough night fell.

Steven was able to improvise a couple limited weapons. He spent some time working on a small wooden chair, and was eventually able to force one of the legs loose, giving him a hefty, solid, two-foot chunk of wood. He also found a pillowcase and filled one corner with small stones and pebbles from the garden, then knotted it, creating a rudimentary sort of flail.

They spent the night trading watches and talking, whenever anyone felt the inclination. Steven preferred conversing, because it kept him from sinking too deeply into thought. A few times, he heard what might have been gunshots, but they were distant and dim enough that he could tell himself otherwise, for his and Sharon's sake. It was strange, sitting in the near-total dark. Back home in Seattle, it was rare to open a window and not see some sort of unnatural light.

Steven slept, as well, and even felt rested when he awoke in the morning. All things considered, it seemed that everything might be, if not okay, then at least tolerable.

Until, that is, the voice rang from everywhere at once.

In the aftermath, Steven sat still and silent for a long time. He did not move because he was unsure if he could do so without shaking, and he did not speak because he was unsure if he could do so without shouting. He restrained himself only because there was nobody here to turn his wrath upon. Everyone in the room with him was as innocent as it was possible to be, and that only made things worse.

But after a time, with not too much shaking and a voice that was if anything a little too quiet rather than loud, Steven stood and spoke.

"This is fucked up," he said. "Someone has to stop them."

VysePresident
Mr. Danya

July 18th, 2013, 7:36 am #19

Ian was sitting in a rocking chair when the announcements came on, having volunteered to take the current watch. Earlier in the night, he'd had the notion that being well rested for the next day would be a good idea, silly person that he was, but that'd apparently been a bit much to hope for. It had always been hard enough for him to sleep in an unfamiliar bed, but with the events of the past day running through his mind, it was virtually impossible. For that reason, he'd probably taken the most turns watching. No reason not to let the others get as much sleep as they could. Occasionally, he'd exchange some small talk with one of them, but for the most part, it had just been him and his thoughts to keep him company.

Surprisingly, he felt little inclination to rail at his fate yet again. While the previous day had left something to be desired, not least of which was the eradication of all ants, he had to admit that there was a lot to be grateful for. Everything had seemed to move along smoothly after they'd started setting up base inside the mansion, and they were about as safe and secure as could be hoped for, under the circumstances. In addition to the watch they'd set up, Ian had taken the extra precaution of blocking up any entrances other than the front door with whatever furniture was handy. It wouldn't stop somebody who was determined to get in, but at least it would give them some warning, which meant it was probably worth the effort. He'd also taken a cue from Steven's chair leg, and gotten himself a shovel from the garden shed to defend himself with. It had clearly seen better days, but it had been reasonably well stored, and at least it didn't seem to be rusted or rotten.

While it was impossible to truly forget the grim reality of the situation, Ian slowly began to realize he was starting to have fun, as they all worked to make the most of their time. Perhaps it was just in his mind, but everyone had seemed to relax as they focused on the tasks at hand, and from time to time they'd chatted, and even joked around in a way that actually felt genuine. It was the closest he'd come to feeling a sense of peace since he'd woken up in the park, and he was only just now realizing that he'd begun to think of these people, who'd he'd barely known back at Aurora, as friends rather than merely allies.

That peace of mind had been shattered when the mocking voice of Danya burst out of nowhere, heralding the moment he'd been quietly dreading in the back of his mind. Even before their tormentor started listing off names, he'd stopped rocking, and was in serious danger of falling off his seat as he listened, fearing that one of those eight names would be a friend.

By the time it was over, he was vaguely aware that he probably ought to be feeling something. Anger, resentment, grief, anything besides the numbness and shock that had overridden everything. He'd known better than to hope that nobody would die. No, much as he'd wanted to be wrong, he had expected to hear that at least a couple of his former classmates were murderers, just like the other students who came before them. The first two victims had been sad to hear, but, in way that disconcerted him a little, he realized they'd only been names to him. He'd prayed for their souls, and even their killers, but it didn't have the same impact as if he'd known either of them. It was the third set of names that had left him stunned and shaken, barely able to catch that none of the other names were close friends of his.

Daniel and Hansel....

Of all his friends on this wretched place, he'd thought that surely Daniel, who was practically everyone's friend, would be the safest. Instead, he was dead on the first day, and the only thing that hurt worse than realizing he'd lost one his earliest friends from Seattle was when he registered the name of the killer. One of his friends had been killed by another, and however much he wanted there to be a more comfortable explanation for the deed, the fact remained that a headshot didn't imply an accident.

It was a lot to take in all at once, and he was just beginning to feel the first traces of rage and grief when Steven's quiet comment brought him back to the present. He nodded quietly at the other boy's words, and then, when he trusted himself not to let his voice shake, he spoke up. Out of all the things he could have responded with, only a few words seemed willing to come out.

"....Yeah, yeah it is. Daniel and Hansel were both my friends, back in Aurora." Lord have mercy on their souls.

It took him a moment longer to weigh his answer to the second half of Steven's statement. At first, he taken it as a futile, but ultimately harmless reference to the terrorists, but it had slowly dawned on him that his friend might have a different idea in mind, and it was one that made him desperately hope he was wrong, despite a sudden flash of sympathy for the thought.

"Who do you mean? The terrorists, or the killers? You do understand that's why they're announcing the names, right? If they can't get you to kill one way, they'll push you to do so out fear or anger."

No, not good. He was working from an assumption now, and one that he had no justification for accepting. He took a deep breath, and started again.

"Sorry, that's more me talking to myself than you. It's just...I don't know. There's a part of me that wants to get out there too, and to heck with the consequences, but we need a plan. If the idea is to wait out the storm in hopes of a rescue, maybe we should be trying to find more people we can trust. We'd have a better chance of holding out here, and maybe we can actually make a difference."

"Look, I know it's not much, and I'll be glad to listen to any better ideas, but whatever we're going to do, we need to think it through first."

It wasn't the best speech in the world, but it would have to do for now.

Pregame - None
)

Past - None

Grim Wolf
Winner

July 18th, 2013, 7:34 pm #20

(Karen Idel advancing from Level 3)

After parting ways from Gavin, Karen Idel was determined to find new allies, new warriors, new soldiers to fight alongside her and make this battle a reality.

Except not long afterwards, she was exhausted.

One mild asthma attack. A long god damn time on her feet with a heavier load than she was used to on her shoulders. Chest felt tight all the god damn time, and her body ached, to boot. Tired. Very tired.

It wasn't even evening when she found an abandoned house. She spent the fifteen minutes it took to make sure there was no one inside, then rolled beneath a bed where she wouldn't easily be spotted. No friends right now, but that was necessary. They couldn't suspect she was forming a group. Absolutely couldn't.

So, tired and aching, Karen fell asleep.

She awoke halfway through the Announcements. Eyes wide beneath her bed, she listened.

It's begun.

People buying into the game. People believing their enemy was as invincible as the seemed.

Maybe they even think they're that invincible.

No, that was a stupid thought. They'd felt it, just as she had. That moment of confidence, bright and beautiful, certain. And then...

Then you're on the pavement, gasping for breath, dying.

They're just like me.

She forced herself awake, past this tumult of useless thought. There was work to be done. Plans to be made. People to be found and saved from their own stupidity.

She rolled out from beneath the dusty underbed, lungs and body both protesting, tired, strained, weary. She reached for her inhaler and puffed, relieving a little of the pressure in her chest but done of the exhaustion of her body. She almost wanted to drop her stuff, but she couldn't be sure which areas would be made into danger zones and...

Well, wait. Did she have a choice in the matter? Could she keep going like this? Anyways, if she understood the rules properly, it would only be an issue for a day. She could return after. If she lasted that long.

She moved some of her stuff out of her bag and beneath the bed, until the bag was about half as full as it had been. When she slung it back over her shoulder, it was much lighter, and her body protested much less.

She left the building, trying not to dwell too long on how grimy she felt, how dirty she was, and how easily she could get sick or get an infection. On a whim, ended up heading for the smaller of the two mansions.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."
[+] spoiler

G053 Karen Idel, DECEASED: Game over.

B040 Tyler Lucas, DECEASED: I had fun. You?

B046 Xavier Contel, DECEASED : "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."
[+] spoiler

B054 Raidon Naoko (DECEASED): "Dying like this isn't so bad..."

B072 Simon Grey (DECEASED): "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

B079 David Meramac (DECEASED): "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."

G072 Mirabelle Nesa (DECEASED): "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"